MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

NAMM 2016 eurorack related
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Author NAMM 2016 eurorack related
DonaldCrunk
why does everyone keep saying that "doepfer rails and Tip Top are the most common" . there are far, far more manufacturers and DIY builders using the more affordable Vector rails. I don't really understand the purpose of the 'lip', either. someone enlighten me.
Funky40
DonaldCrunk wrote:
why does everyone keep saying that "doepfer rails and Tip Top are the most common" . there are far, far more manufacturers and DIY builders using the more affordable Vector rails. I don't really understand the purpose of the 'lip', either. someone enlighten me.

interesting.
I was not aware that the "Vector Rails" are in fact just those without lips.
To speak for europe: i´ve not seen one time anybody here using those noseless rails !


to speak for me and dIY:
i was beside Fonik ( and another guy who could be muffs very own Flo,..... i guess he is) the first Guy who built his DIY stuff into euro format.
it was a HUUUUGE amount of work to get all the data down to not make any mistakes.
one of the things here was just to make clear to get the right rails, .......those with the nose.
Has its sense !
.............call it compatibility ! wink

so probably the "failure" begun just there ? selling "the wrong rails"....looks so to me.
yes, i would call this a "failure"......
ignatius
DonaldCrunk wrote:
why does everyone keep saying that "doepfer rails and Tip Top are the most common" . there are far, far more manufacturers and DIY builders using the more affordable Vector rails. I don't really understand the purpose of the 'lip', either. someone enlighten me.


i like the lip. it lines up modules. when organizing a case.. for me.. it's easier to deal with than modules floating a little vertically into the above/below row. i find the sliding nuts and no lip situation to be annoying.
DonaldCrunk
what system does the new Malekko case use?
coyoteous
Didn't the lip/nose, and possibly even eurorack itself, originate with Schroff europac subracks?

"In 1965 Schroff developed a subrack system for euro boards called "europac", compatible with the European printed circuit board format and based on 19" technology. The DIN standards authority, and then IEC, opened the doors to the world market for the "europac" system. It really entered the global market when the European board format standard was adopted by Japan and the USA. The 19" standard became the "universal dimension" for electronics systems, thus making Gunther Schroff one of the pioneers of 19" technology."

If so, I believe Gunther is to blame.
ispeakhopelandic
cannonball swandive wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I love MN and have owned almost every module they produced. Guess I just had my hopes up. 0-coast does look cool.



same here. o-coast looks great and i really enjoy the us of unique or unique to MN circuits. almost an eno-esque approach of working within limits.

after so much verb DSP, i guess i just came to expect it.
exper
DonaldCrunk wrote:
why does everyone keep saying that "doepfer rails and Tip Top are the most common" . there are far, far more manufacturers and DIY builders using the more affordable Vector rails. I don't really understand the purpose of the 'lip', either. someone enlighten me.



Funny, my DIY case has lips. Guess not all DIY uses vector.

Vector rails might be cheaper in the us, but there's a whole world of users, and in Europe, I'm sure shroff rails are just as cheap. (Kind of like how doepfer is much cheaper over there.).
mt3
Any pricing details on the uZeus expander?
coyoteous
I'm a sucker for name-brand, historically-significant, less goofy and more pedigreed stuff.

So, I give you my mostly-nammy-2016-ish euro homage of such forth and all suchlike constrained to five brands:

os
captainhooke wrote:
**EXPERT SLEEPERS DISTING MK3 FIRMWARE UPDATE**

Stole this from the expert sleepers website, very exciting news for me and probably many others:

[At NAMM ’16 we’ll be showing the new firmware v3.2 for the disting mk3 module, to be released immediately after the show.

New features include
- a clockable ping pong delay effect.
- 10 envelope generator algorithms, including clockable envelopes, dual envelopes and combined envelopes/VCAs.
- quantised and unquantized random voltage generators.
- random trigger generators.

We’ll also be showing an experimental new firmware version that allows WAV file playback from the MicroSD card slot normally used for firmware updates.]

applause can not wait.



MindMachine
cannonball swandive wrote:
Don't get me wrong, I love MN and have owned almost every module they produced. Guess I just had my hopes up. 0-coast does look cool.


If I had a small modular business I would do the same as Makenoise this year. Just announce a couple of new things. Keep others for during the year. There is so much saturation at NAMM. The last few have been mind boggling with so many releases of modular and synths.

It sure is fun to see though - like Christmas for musicians only.
Fiddlestickz
Roland FTW for me...will be buying the entire 500 series range and the A01 controller, after just landing a nice SH1, I should think that will be my lot for this year as far as buying gear goes..

cool
southphillysynths
So far for me,

the keystep is ABSOLUTELY WHAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR IN A MODULAR CONTROLLER PERFECT!!!

but as mentioned it's arturia so we will have to see what happens.

The Makenoise 0-coast looks pretty cool, but I don't think its interesting enough for me and certainly not at that pricetag. Maybe I'll check it out in a few years if I can get it for cheap...
ersatzplanet
DonaldCrunk wrote:
why does everyone keep saying that "doepfer rails and Tip Top are the most common" . there are far, far more manufacturers and DIY builders using the more affordable Vector rails. I don't really understand the purpose of the 'lip', either. someone enlighten me.


The Vector rails indeed do not have a lip, which is there purely for cosmetic reasons. The standard Doepfer panel size will work with vector rails with no lip, Schroff rails with lips, Z-Rails with lips etc., etc. because they are sized for the HOLE SPACING, NOT the overall 3U size. If the original iU tiles made for the hole spacing of vector rails and rails with lips, they would work for both.

It is unfortunate that the originators of the 1U tiles didn't think of the possibility of the rails with lips being used. This means that buyers will always have to ask because now even the hole spacing is different for both versions.

NOBODY makes 3U modules that ONLY work for lipless Vector rails and not in the ones that have them. They are at least universal.
mecanikill
So which ones would the Make Noise CV Bus fit with?
mdoudoroff
captainhooke wrote:
**EXPERT SLEEPERS DISTING MK3 FIRMWARE UPDATE**

Stole this from the expert sleepers website, very exciting news for me and probably many others:

[At NAMM ’16 we’ll be showing the new firmware v3.2 for the disting mk3 module, to be released immediately after the show.

New features include
- a clockable ping pong delay effect.
- 10 envelope generator algorithms, including clockable envelopes, dual envelopes and combined envelopes/VCAs.
- quantised and unquantized random voltage generators.
- random trigger generators.

We’ll also be showing an experimental new firmware version that allows WAV file playback from the MicroSD card slot normally used for firmware updates.]



Now that ES has established how much functionality can be wrung from the disting architecture, how about a larger module option with a non-cryptic interface?
sackley
mdoudoroff wrote:
captainhooke wrote:
**EXPERT SLEEPERS DISTING MK3 FIRMWARE UPDATE**

Stole this from the expert sleepers website, very exciting news for me and probably many others:

[At NAMM ’16 we’ll be showing the new firmware v3.2 for the disting mk3 module, to be released immediately after the show.

New features include
- a clockable ping pong delay effect.
- 10 envelope generator algorithms, including clockable envelopes, dual envelopes and combined envelopes/VCAs.
- quantised and unquantized random voltage generators.
- random trigger generators.

We’ll also be showing an experimental new firmware version that allows WAV file playback from the MicroSD card slot normally used for firmware updates.]



Now that ES has established how much functionality can be wrung from the disting architecture, how about a larger module option with a non-cryptic interface?


applause applause applause
Looks like such a powerful module, but I'd be pulling my hair out always having to reference the manual on my phone...
Robscorch
Am I still the only one in shock over Arturia's latest? Seriously the Matrix is taking the cake and the pie for me so far as synths are concerened. That Harvestman sequencer is the cats ass. love

I'm also really digging the new Wmd mixer as well looks like a solid mixing solution to my growing system at least.
pescatore
Robscorch wrote:
Am I still the only one in shock over Arturia's latest? Seriously the Matrix is taking the cake and the pie for me so far as synths are concerened. That Harvestman sequencer is the cats ass. love

I'm also really digging the new Wmd mixer as well looks like a solid mixing solution to my growing system at least.


I can't decide if I'm excited about the harvestman sequencer or not. It looks super powerful, but... Pages. Not having to navigate pages to do things is what I love about my modular. It's unclear to me how annoying that would be.

The wmd mixer looks great, as does the qubit mixer. I've been thinking I need a good stereo mixer module - one of those might do nicely.
PolarIceCaves
Robscorch wrote:
Am I still the only one in shock over Arturia's latest? Seriously the Matrix is taking the cake and the pie for me so far as synths are concerened. That Harvestman sequencer is the cats ass. love

I'm also really digging the new Wmd mixer as well looks like a solid mixing solution to my growing system at least.


That new matrix Arturia looks like a lot of fun to play with.
exper
pescatore wrote:


I can't decide if I'm excited about the harvestman sequencer or not. It looks super powerful, but... Pages. Not having to navigate pages to do things is what I love about my modular. It's unclear to me how annoying that would be.


I feel the same way about it. I'm perfectly fine with deep modules, as I have 2 shapeshifters and will most definitely have a rainmaker in my case ASAP, however the fact that the harvestman has not only 4 channels but multiple pages per channel, all relying on the slider positions. So, switching between all of those things, the slider positions mean nothing. You'd have to wiggle each slider to try and determine what the value should be, potentially changing your sequences.

Maybe there's a way of dealing with that, but it seems like an interface that should have touch controls with LEDs to indicate level, or moving faders. wink
FrankMurder
Yeah, the harvestman sequencer looks really really deep. Seems it could actually replace loads of modules in my case. Maybe it is one of those modules you just have to live with for a few days/weeks/months to really get to know and love.

I imagine if you got to the point with it where all the controls are in muscle memory and using it becomes second nature it would be an amazingly powerful device for live performance.

But what if it just issint that intuitive?
Carrousel
Of all the amazing, drool-worthy things to come out at this NAMM I'm genuinely most excited and happy about the Bastl Ciao! module. 2 ins for each of right and left channel on an output module is what I've wanted for ages. Now I won't have to tie up two separate mixers to mix the right and left respective channels of clouds and the erbeverb!
smirky
Raven_Martin wrote:
Of all the amazing, drool-worthy things to come out at this NAMM I'm genuinely most excited and happy about the Bastl Ciao! module. 2 ins for each of right and left channel on an output module is what I've wanted for ages. Now I won't have to tie up two separate mixers to mix the right and left respective channels of clouds and the erbeverb!


Oh, I hadn't spotted this module just yet! This is exactly the same question I've been running up against. I was thinking about getting their ABC module to handle what you mentioned with two mixers.
lloydcole
exper wrote:
pescatore wrote:


I can't decide if I'm excited about the harvestman sequencer or not. It looks super powerful, but... Pages. Not having to navigate pages to do things is what I love about my modular. It's unclear to me how annoying that would be.


I feel the same way about it. I'm perfectly fine with deep modules, as I have 2 shapeshifters and will most definitely have a rainmaker in my case ASAP, however the fact that the harvestman has not only 4 channels but multiple pages per channel, all relying on the slider positions. So, switching between all of those things, the slider positions mean nothing. You'd have to wiggle each slider to try and determine what the value should be, potentially changing your sequences.

Maybe there's a way of dealing with that, but it seems like an interface that should have touch controls with LEDs to indicate level, or moving faders. wink


This type of thing seems to be more and more the norm and to my way of thing, it is contrary to a modular aesthetic, where WYSIWYG, mostly, at least. If this had not been the norm 5 years ago, I would never have started to assemble a system. I moved in this direction to escape computers and menus. Obviously that's just me and I'm not wanting to disparage folk like Scott and their work, but seeing his new sequencer it clearly has no use for me...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 29, 30, 31  Next [all]
Page 23 of 31
Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group