MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

RYO Penta - 5 step sequencer
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author RYO Penta - 5 step sequencer

HellRaiser

AH!! Great news. Thanks for your help guys!!

colossus

I have on of these kits coming tomorrow. It'll be my first sequencer and second Euro build. hyper

Chidori

I built one of these a few days ago, it's pretty cool-- good for summing with another sequencer to use as an arpeggiator. Great build instructions as well. And I appreciate the extra components that come with. I really like how the LEDs are laced left/right down the steps. The switch/reset make it pretty versatile.

However, I am really put off by the tiny plastic knobs, they aren't very playable as such and feel icky to me. But it's a tiny / very inexpensive sequencer, so it follows the design I suppose.

I somehow botched the build though-- 2 steps don't seem to be working. The LEDs are fine, but they don't output any CV no matter how the knob is situated. I think I might've damaged some of the pins on the IC b/c I had to reinsert them when I scrubbed the board.

Definitely getting more RYO stuff in the future though.

Cheers, RYO. Guinness ftw!

PhineasFreak

Chidori wrote:
...I somehow botched the build though-- 2 steps don't seem to be working. The LEDs are fine, but they don't output any CV no matter how the knob is situated. I think I might've damaged some of the pins on the IC b/c I had to reinsert them when I scrubbed the board.

Definitely getting more RYO stuff in the future though.

Cheers, RYO. Guinness ftw!

you are welcome to contact us for support if you find you cant solve your issue thumbs up

High Wolf

Where can we find a built one in Europe?

subcutaneous

This is high on my "next purchase" list. I am tired of all the 4/8/16 step stuff and a five-step really appeals to me. I was looking at the Sputnik 5-step voltage source, but the RYO Penta seems like it will suit my interests just fine.

chapelier fou

High Wolf wrote:
Where can we find a built one in Europe?

i could build it for you. what do you have to offer in return ? it takes one or two hours to build.

sync24

oh YES!
I just built two of these side by side plugged them in to my Orgone Accumulator - thumbs up
So simple to put together and JUST what I've been wanting for ages.
I'll probably grab another pair of these at some point.
SlayerBadger!

colossus

Just built my Penta this morning. Relatively easy build, but definitely harder than the Ampmix. But it worked right away and sounds awesome, especially for the price and size.

Bluebox

So, if I'm reading this right:

I can also add an expander which will output 5V gates for each of the steps as they become active? How much hassle would it be to bring each of these gate outs to a panel with on/off toggles, LEDs for status (high/low), and sum/normal them all to a common output?

I'm seriously considering building one of these to function like the pulser/sequencer in the Music Easel.

Does that application seem to make sense, in that context?

I'm still going to order and build one, because it seems straightforward and useful, but if I could tweak it to clone the behavior of the 208 sequencer, that would be amazing.

I appreciate any insight you guys might have.

Cheers,
-ian

PhineasFreak

very simple to do what you want with no hassle mr bluebox thumbs up

as i understand it you should have no trouble achieving what you desire

GryphonP3

Bluebox wrote:
So, if I'm reading this right:

I can also add an expander which will output 5V gates for each of the steps as they become active? How much hassle would it be to bring each of these gate outs to a panel with on/off toggles, LEDs for status (high/low), and sum/normal them all to a common output?

I'm seriously considering building one of these to function like the pulser/sequencer in the Music Easel.

Does that application seem to make sense, in that context?

I'm still going to order and build one, because it seems straightforward and useful, but if I could tweak it to clone the behavior of the 208 sequencer, that would be amazing.

I appreciate any insight you guys might have.

Cheers,
-ian

This would be an extremely useful mod! Already the best value sequencer on the market, this would take it to a whole new level.

I just bought 4 of em, plan on assembling this week. Seriously excited for doing some mega transpose patches and modulation sequences for less than $300 smile

i.murray.fraser

I built this yesterday. It was only my second DIY and it went great! The instructions were very clear. RYO is cool, I might build more of their kits.

jmila

What IRC channel are you freaks hanging out on?

stabilt

jmila wrote:
What IRC channel are you freaks hanging out on?

The previously official but now unofficial muffwiggler irc channel on the mibbit server. I'll PM you the details.

stabilt

If a step LED works but it gives no voltage then it's probably the pot or mixing resistor for that step that is damaged or cold soldered.

stabilt

This would be one way to do a switched gate expander. It should be a good start to work with. For trigs you need to do gate to trig conversion on each step (not in the schematic). The output will keep a steady 5V/0V without droop. You could also sum with a passive OR circuit but it would droop a little volt.

chapelier fou

Wow, thanks !

Bluebox

Just saw this:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2120801#2120801

That's kinda exactly what I'd be looking to expand the Penta to do... Not with all the extra features, just the step on/off and gate outs / sum out with LED.

Interesting that Verbos was already working on such a thing!

Cheers,
-ian

Novateer

Easy clean build.
Works like a charm.
Nice adition for metropolis.

Thank you ryo

L.C.O.

Just got two of thise kits.
Started building, only to realize that all the IC sockets were missing from both kits!

Anyone else got that?
(ordered fom Thonk)

bummed.
p.

PhineasFreak

the ic sockets are usually in the antistatic bag with the ics - have you opened that?

L.C.O.

PhineasFreak wrote:
the ic sockets are usually in the antistatic bag with the ics - have you opened that?

yup.
the ICs are there, but all the IC sockets are missing from both kits.
p.

PhineasFreak

oh. i'm very sorry to hear that, you better contact thonk then - they should be able to sort it out pronto...

apologies.

L.C.O.

PhineasFreak wrote:
oh. i'm very sorry to hear that, you better contact thonk then - they should be able to sort it out pronto...

apologies.

I did.
They are sending them.

weird that nobody else had that issue?
are the kits assembled as per order?

anyway: just have to wait twice as long now.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3