Mutable Instruments Rings

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

VectorWolf
Common Wiggler

Post by VectorWolf » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:41 pm

Kreis wrote:
Kreis wrote:
It goes into the FX (formant filter, chorus or reverb) - the amount of which is controlled by POSITION.
So you can use the module as a basic formant filter, chorus or reverb, too :hail:
I just tried it out and used Rings as a Reverb (via the effect send/return function from Rosie).
The position is modulated with a slow LFO. The sound is from two Doeper VCOs (Square+Triangel and Sine) through a Wasp Filter (VCA Envelope is from Streams).

[video][/video]
Awesome! This has completely sold me on Rene. :bang: (I was already totally sold on rings)

wildfrontiers
Veteran Wiggler

Post by wildfrontiers » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:40 pm

First track using this new string mode. Doing some organ-like stuff here, LFOs on brightness and position (on the chorus effect). Running it into dual Clouds, one in granular (a lot of manual wiggling here) and one in looping delay (for the lo-fi distortion). Second Rings is used for a piano/guitar-ish part and Braids for an oboe-ish part. Bass is Dixie into Polaris.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/249416144" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

alaya
Learning to Wiggle

Post by alaya » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:16 am

wildfrontiers wrote:First track using this new string mode. Doing some organ-like stuff here, LFOs on brightness and position (on the chorus effect). Running it into dual Clouds, one in granular (a lot of manual wiggling here) and one in looping delay (for the lo-fi distortion). Second Rings is used for a piano/guitar-ish part and Braids for an oboe-ish part. Bass is Dixie into Polaris.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/249416144" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
Lovely work.. as always!

greenanother
Veteran Wiggler

Post by greenanother » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:55 am

Haven't checked out this thread in awhile. Lots of amazing tracks that I missed out on apparently (especially wildfrontiers and fourhexagons)!

Thank you for this extra mode, Oliver!

Out of curiousity, is this alternative mode similar to the "3rd" (3 gate led blinks) ringified mode of elements? I keep hearing the same pitch changes in this mode that you would hear when turning the geometry parameter on elements (as if it's locked to a specific chord structure-m7? m9?).

Can you fill in the blanks on my assumptions here? I'm just basing this on what I hear...
https://soundcloud.com/greenanother

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:01 am

It's using the same layout for the chords, yes.

greenanother
Veteran Wiggler

Post by greenanother » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:02 am

pichenettes wrote:It's using the same layout for the chords, yes.
Great; thanks for the reply. :tu:
https://soundcloud.com/greenanother

mharpum
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mharpum » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:06 am

Gilo wrote:So in summary:

This thing is 14 HP and is: a modal physical modelling resonator, a sarod, a Karplus style string machine, an fm synth, a chord playing thing, a weird reverby, spectral thing (all with different modes of polyphony) ... And... A mental organ with about 300 different variants.

And it's less than 200 quid at rubadub.

Mental.
It looks like rubadub have made a mistake on on the rings page, the description is for braids! I also think the price is wrong, everywhere else it is £250 which is still a bargain for what it is!
https://soundcloud.com/mark-harpum

https://www.instagram.com/harpum1/?hl=en

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/456680

FS/T loquelic v1, korgasmatron 2 w/ expander, zdsp w/ 4 cards, seq 1, control forge, rt60, English tear(faulty),

WTB anything WMD and Noise Engineering.

james2098
Common Wiggler

Post by james2098 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:35 am

gotta say this new mode is sounding very sweet in the demos - was already on the purchase list but even more so now...

m:o
Common Wiggler

Post by m:o » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:54 am

this easter egg sounds fantastic!
and all the other modes..... it`s getting quite hard to remember all the modes and theri settings/parameter layouts.

Please, can someone make a cheatsheet with all the Modes in Rings? (i guess their all discovered, right?)

this would help alot people!

Gilo
Common Wiggler

Post by Gilo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:11 pm

mharpum wrote:
Gilo wrote:So in summary:

This thing is 14 HP and is: a modal physical modelling resonator, a sarod, a Karplus style string machine, an fm synth, a chord playing thing, a weird reverby, spectral thing (all with different modes of polyphony) ... And... A mental organ with about 300 different variants.

And it's less than 200 quid at rubadub.

Mental.
It looks like rubadub have made a mistake on on the rings page, the description is for braids! I also think the price is wrong, everywhere else it is £250 which is still a bargain for what it is!
I think it might be a mistake but I got it from them - before christmas - for 189 :tu:

Gilo
Common Wiggler

Post by Gilo » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:12 pm

wildfrontiers wrote:First track using this new string mode. Doing some organ-like stuff here, LFOs on brightness and position (on the chorus effect). Running it into dual Clouds, one in granular (a lot of manual wiggling here) and one in looping delay (for the lo-fi distortion). Second Rings is used for a piano/guitar-ish part and Braids for an oboe-ish part. Bass is Dixie into Polaris.

more fantastic work, sir.

Worwell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Worwell » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:25 pm

Any word on when Rings will be available again in the US?

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:32 pm

For some, the modules are already in transit. Some other dealers will get them in the next few days.

Worwell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Worwell » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:44 pm

pichenettes wrote:For some, the modules are already in transit. Some other dealers will get them in the next few days.
Great news. Now I just need to decide between Elements and Rings.

computo
Common Wiggler

Post by computo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:43 pm

Was it my imagination, or did Rings source code post this week? Thought I saw something about that...

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:49 pm

Yes, code, schematics, panel files etc available.

computo
Common Wiggler

Post by computo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:06 pm

Thanks Olivier, just double checking for this article/video I'm finishing up :)

Thanks again for all you do, love your work!

guestt

Post by guestt » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:05 pm

Whoa... just caught up, this is awesome - thank you once again Olivier :tu:

:hail: :love: :banana: :hyper:

bengersfood
Wiggling with Experience

Post by bengersfood » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:30 pm

I have a Rings on order (there's more Mutable Instruments in my rack than any other manufacturer :love: ) and in the next day or two I was planning to do a sweep of this thread and gather together all of the notes I could find about the different additional modes. However, I wondered if this has already been done anywhere?

Coetillion
Common Wiggler

Post by Coetillion » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:52 pm

bengersfood wrote:I have a Rings on order (there's more Mutable Instruments in my rack than any other manufacturer :love: ) and in the next day or two I was planning to do a sweep of this thread and gather together all of the notes I could find about the different additional modes. However, I wondered if this has already been done anywhere?
Yeah I'd like to know too - it's pretty confusing

mharpum
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mharpum » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:12 am

Mine has just arrived, could also do with some info on alternate modes all in one place! Anyone feeling generous?

FS/T loquelic v1, korgasmatron 2 w/ expander, zdsp w/ 4 cards, seq 1, control forge, rt60, English tear(faulty),

pichenettes
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by pichenettes » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:37 am

Here we go...

Threesome

Hold the polyphony button for a few seconds. This enables a 3 voice polyphonic mode in which the notes bounce between the ODD / EVEN outputs according to an 8-step rhythmic pattern (O E E O E E O E).

2-op FM aka "It's still Bessel functions!"

Long press on the model selection button when modal synthesis is active (green).

STRUCTURE = frequency ratio.
BRIGHTNESS = FM index.
DAMPING = FM index and amplitude decay.
POSITION = Feedback path (no feedback at 12 o'clock).
IN goes into an envelope follower changing FM index and output amplitude.

"Western chords"

Long press on the model selection button when sympathetic strings model is active (orange).

The sympathetic strings are no longer tuned to perfect fifths or octaves, but instead, to chords.

STRUCTURE = chord.

"Karplusverb"

Long press on the model selection button when non-linear string model is active (red).

Adds a reverb, the absorption and decay of which follow those of the string.

"Disastrous peace"

The actual Easter egg. Adjust the knobs:

Hold the model selection button for a few seconds. Note that the very same procedure should be used to leave the easter egg.

This is an Organ/String machine synth, loosely based on the Roland RS-09. Up to 12 notes and 6 oscillators per note tuned one octave apart ("organ" = filtered square or "string" = sawtooth).

Polyphony button = chord size. From 10-note fat chords which cannot overlap because they eat all the polyphony voices... to 3-note chords which can overlap with the previous ones when they are retriggered. In other words, that's the maximum number of successive chords which can overlap - 1, 2 or 4.

Model selection button = FX. Long press to get a variation on the FX. Green = formant filter (less abrasive variant). Yellow = Rolandish chorus (Solinaish ensemble). Red = Caveman reverb (shinier variant).

FREQUENCY = root note.
STRUCTURE = chord type.
BRIGHTNESS = scans through various registrations (combinations of gains for the 6 oscillators) sorted by brightness.
DAMPING = decay time, then attack time. Drones continuously when turned fully clockwise.
POSITION = FX amount.

The STRUM input triggers the envelope and allocates a new group of voices for the chord - and the previously played chord can still be heard if the "polyphony" setting is set to 2 or 4.

The V/OCT input controls the root note. If nothing is patched in the STRUM input, sudden changes on this input will also trigger the envelope / voice allocation.

IN is simply routed to the FX processor.
Last edited by pichenettes on Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

mharpum
Ultra Wiggler

Post by mharpum » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:09 am

Awesome pichenettes

Thanks for that;) This will keep me busy for a while I think. Now to wait for work to be over!

Nofrenchtests
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Nofrenchtests » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:10 am

pichenettes wrote:Here we go...

Holy flurking schnit! I didn't even know about the long press alt modes. I was just in for the resonator...well now I'm glad I got in on this round.

m:o
Common Wiggler

Post by m:o » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:22 am

@ pichenettes

great, thank you for summing up all these functions!

A question to the "IN is simply routed to the FX processor" phrase in the organ/string machine description.

does this mean i can route an audio signal straight to the FX processes?
Like putting an VCO signal thru the Caveman reverb (red model) and use Rings as plain FX Processor without any resonating/string action?

Return to “Eurorack Modules”