MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Curtis 3340 Has been remanufactured
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Author Curtis 3340 Has been remanufactured
johnny83
Dear all, I've been speaking with onchip for the last 3 months and they have already produced a new batch of CEM 3340. They are available for $15 each! We have tested them and they are revision G and pass our tests on the original Curtis test boards and also various synths we tried them in.

The person to contact is susanonchip@covad.net, she has been remarkably helpful and can process your order. Please be aware that revision G has meant the following:

"After reviewing the prior specifications I did decide to change the minimum VCC spec. The old VCC min. was +10V and the new VCC min. is +11V. This is based on my own bench experience with several versions of the device. Many devices will work with a VCC of +10V and others won’t. Devices that won’t work at +10V should easily work at +11V or higher. This is the only specification that we’ve changed" John Borg (Onchip Engineer)

Additionally they have no plans to release the 3310, 3320 and 3360 yet but I think if they see the success of the 3340 it may be apparent the market needs them. I am in communication with them and will continue to push for the other chips to be brought back but to be honest the release of the 3340 is great news as that was the most common curtis chip used.

Here are the price breaks for anyone wanting to get more than a handful:
1 - 499 = $ 15.00
500 - 999 = 12.82
1000 - 4999 = 9.64
5000+ = 7.46

Postage is in addition to this.

I hope you enjoy and spread the word!!
sneak-thief
Unbelievably great! I've previously had to pay handsome sums for these when repairing synths.
johnny83
To remanufacture the other chips would be $75k per model and I'm not sure if that includes a batch run as well. I'll keep digging and see what's happening but this could change the world of modern synths and modular synths with new found availability of the CEM chips!
aladan
I'll ask the obvious question here: who's organising the group buy?
Altitude909
good news indeed. 101/202 clone anyone?
moylando
didn't see this coming. this is the golden age.
johnny83
to be honest a group buy per region makes sense however you would still have to pay distribution for each person and given the import duty on high volumes it might be better to order low volumes individually and ask them to ship directly. Alternatively you could always see if they will let you buy in bulk say 100+ and you have 5 or 10 people they need shipping too that may be a better option
ratsnake
some stupid questions -

what is a typical batch size for on-chip?
is there demand for this chip apart from synths in 2016?
are we doing a batch order and then selling them for 80 bucks a pop?
dogfaceaudio
I'd be interested in working with other wigglers to develop an open source VCO based on the CEM3340.
Altitude909
seeing that you can just buy one for $15, I dont see a markup market for these.

I ordered 6 a month or two back when I first heard about this and onchip was happy to sell them in those quantities
elmegil
dogfaceaudio wrote:
I'd be interested in working with other wigglers to develop an open source VCO based on the CEM3340.

First place to start is the schematic in the datasheet.

You mainly have to determine options like range, sync and wave shaping.

Note that Paul Schreiber has stated on Facebook that the tempco on this chip is less than great because the original design was intended to be auto-tuned every 5 minutes in the P5 anyway. Craig Lee has responded that he has a couple DIY VCOs based on this without any major drift problems. So any open source design needs to thoroughly test the temperature stability and if necessary find a way to compensate (or else give a big disclaimer about the conditions where drift might be a problem).
emdot_ambient
elmegil wrote:
dogfaceaudio wrote:

Note that Paul Schreiber has stated on Facebook that the tempco on this chip is less than great because the original design was intended to be auto-tuned every 5 minutes in the P5 anyway. Craig Lee has responded that he has a couple DIY VCOs based on this without any major drift problems. So any open source design needs to thoroughly test the temperature stability and if necessary find a way to compensate (or else give a big disclaimer about the conditions where drift might be a problem).

Note that Digisound 80's design for a 3340 oscillator has been around for decades and is a great place to look. It implements most (all?) of the features on the chip itself, along with adding some nice to haves (like an octave switch, sine waveshaper, bipolar -5V - +5V sine and triangle waves available separate from the four 0V -10V waves, soft sync and both positive going and negative going hard sync). But it also has a few potential flaws (not all outputs from the chip are buffered).

There are other posts here on MW about that oscillator, as well as plenty of info on it online.
elmegil
thumbs up
seancostello
Are these chips all DIP, or are there SMD versions available?
elmegil
My understanding is DIP only.
clusterchord
these are fantastic news. i kept postponing buying a batch of originals to stock-up, while the price was going up and up, and at least this once - waiting has payed off weeeee haaaaaaaaaaaa It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Rockin' Banana!

Altitude909 wrote:
seeing that you can just buy one for $15, I dont see a markup market for these.

I ordered 6 a month or two back when I first heard about this and onchip was happy to sell them in those quantities

have you done some A/B in them machines btwn the old and new CEMs ?

thanks
Altitude909
^
Dont have old CEMs
gbiz
screaming goo yo Fantastic news.
fingers crossed for the 3360 next smile
Robscorch
clusterchord wrote:

thanks

Man jumping the gun a bit wait till they get in some hands first this is still kinda that new. Also will be identical aside from the VCC being 11 not 10V should make no changes whatsoever to the sound. That's unless the chips just suck, but I highly doubt it. Wouldn't be in the manufactures interest specially considering the up front cost of setting up this DIP.
phutureboy
gbiz wrote:
fingers crossed for the 3360 next smile

+1
& 3350 too...
analoglsd
hyper
dubnspace
looks like they filed trademarks on the 3350 VCF and 3374 VCO on the same day as well:
https://trademarks.justia.com/867/47/cem-86747547.html
https://trademarks.justia.com/867/47/cem-86747549.html
graphixsounds
dubnspace wrote:
looks like they filed trademarks on the 3350 VCF and 3374 VCO on the same day as well:
https://trademarks.justia.com/867/47/cem-86747547.html
https://trademarks.justia.com/867/47/cem-86747549.html

cool so what does this all mean besides making repairs for vintage cem synths easier? is a manufacturer going to pick up the ball and make some new synths with this?
Robscorch
graphixsounds wrote:

cool so what does this all mean besides making repairs for vintage cem synths easier? is a manufacturer going to pick up the ball and make some new synths with this?

Oh we are going to have a field day in the DIY now and we can resurrect a few PCBs out there that require these chips. The unobtainium kills dreams. Yes manufactures will be hip to it and I imagine we will see a new Prophet of some sort at least in Euro form.
oldcrow
Are these from old wafer stock or a fresh wafer process?
oldcrow
Actually, I've learned a bit about this. Dave Smith and Dieter Doepfer each pitched in about $40K. The chips are a new smaller-geometry wafer process,
probably the Diodes Inc. tiled arrays. This is similar to the way Doug made them using the InterDesign tiled analog arrays 40 years ago.
bstalz
Sorry (my actual) kids. Orthodontics are going to have to wait.

The mind races with the possibilities on this.

Please sell well, so they see potential in 3320, 3310 as well...
I want to make a Pro-One eurorack module a la Mother 32.
The Drunk Auntie Smith
She's rude and screams about Yaz.
wavydave
Yes! MY ASS IS BLEEDING
latigid on
Cool news, especially for dead SH-101s!

I'd like to see the 3350 and 3360, although THAT corp might have the market cornered on single chip VCAs?
jupiter8
I was going to ask how this was even possible but now i know. Thanks.

oldcrow wrote:
Actually, I've learned a bit about this. Dave Smith and Dieter Doepfer each pitched in about $40K. The chips are a new smaller-geometry wafer process,
probably the Diodes Inc. tiled arrays. This is similar to the way Doug made them using the InterDesign tiled analog arrays 40 years ago.
Synthsense
Crumar Spirits, Synton Syrinxs and Memorymoogs? Yess please applause

...and I can imagine Dave Smith working on a "vanilla" real Prophet5 as a base and add all that modern knowledge they've adquired along many years and add it on top of that
Rob Kam
emdot_ambient wrote:
Note that Digisound 80's design for a 3340 oscillator has been around for decades and is a great place to look. It implements most (all?) of the features on the chip itself, along with adding some nice to haves (like an octave switch, sine waveshaper, bipolar -5V - +5V sine and triangle waves available separate from the four 0V -10V waves, soft sync and both positive going and negative going hard sync). But it also has a few potential flaws (not all outputs from the chip are buffered).

Schematics for the Digisound 80-2 VCO, add a 1K resistor and a J201 FET follower to buffer the outputs as Tony of Oakley Sound suggests and an improved sine output from Thomas Henry VCO-1 waveshaper, (suggested at VCO/LFO PCB for CEM3340 chips).
clusterchord
Robscorch wrote:
clusterchord wrote:

thanks

Man jumping the gun a bit wait till they get in some hands first this is still kinda that new. Also will be identical aside from the VCC being 11 not 10V should make no changes whatsoever to the sound. That's unless the chips just suck, but I highly doubt it. Wouldn't be in the manufactures interest specially considering the up front cost of setting up this DIP.

i know i know... but i waited for this virtually impossible thing to happen for last 20 years, got crapload of stuff using 3340.. you can't blame a guy for being tiny bit impatient Mr. Green thumbs up

ah fukkit, i'll just order a pair and test them myself. tho me being on the other side of the pond, it might take some time.
johnny83
oldcrow wrote:
Are these from old wafer stock or a fresh wafer process?

They are fresh stock. I'm going to publish my information later today for everyone
johnny83
I've added the conversation chain here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=162704

Including the research I put together on the usage of the chips. Any feedback or information / corrections would be very useful.

Thanks
Johnny
cretaceousear
Rob Kam wrote:
emdot_ambient wrote:

Schematics for the Digisound 80-2 VCO, add a 1K resistor and a J201 FET follower to buffer the outputs as Tony of Oakley Sound suggests and an improved sine output from Thomas Henry VCO-1 waveshaper, (suggested at VCO/LFO PCB for CEM3340 chips).

Rob: that link is to Tony's comments on
"Does A SOL MC-202 modular kit work on the SH-101"
Not sure how relevant that is??
AFAIK Charles Blakey was careful to buffer everything

However FWIW I did kill my Digisound VCO's CEM3340 by feeding something other then expected into a SYNC input - not sure if there's anything to protect that.
No idea what it was that killed it - long time ago - but now I can get the VCO back in action! nanners
dj_bomber
Guess what, Dieter already used them in the soon to be released new HE VCO modules SlayerBadger! It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Rockin' Banana!

Source: Yahoo Groups Doepfer
AW: [Doepfer_a100] Re-issue A-111 High End VCO with Rev G CEM 3340?
We added some features to the A-111-1 and renamed it to A-111-2:

- the nearly perfect triangle-to-sine converter suggested by Tim Stinchcombe in this group
- manual linear frequency control (for low frequencies close to 0 Hz)
- LFO mode
- LED display
- separate output buffer/amplifier for each waveform
- same levels for all waveforms (10Vpp)

The A-111-2 is based on the CEM3340 Rev G. There was a close cooperation with OnChip since 2015 regarding to the new CEM3340 and we
received the first samples in January during NAMM for our development. The first production batch of the CEM3340 Rev G arrived 2
weeks ago and the production of the A-111-2 during the next few days (we are still waiting for the latest front panel and pcb
samples). I'd expect the first modules about end of July/August. The A-111-3 is also based on the CEM3340 Rev G and we are working
on a Thru-Zero VCO based on the CEM3340 Rev G (module A-111-4).

Best wishes
Dieter Doepfer
shogeki
aladan wrote:
I'll ask the obvious question here: who's organising the group buy?

It really starts getting interesting around +1000 units, at ~$10 I would definitely interested in getting 30/40 for a project I'm working on.
johnny83
dj_bomber wrote:
Guess what, Dieter already used them in the soon to be released new HE VCO modules SlayerBadger! It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners Rockin' Banana!

Source: Yahoo Groups Doepfer
AW: [Doepfer_a100] Re-issue A-111 High End VCO with Rev G CEM 3340?
We added some features to the A-111-1 and renamed it to A-111-2:

- the nearly perfect triangle-to-sine converter suggested by Tim Stinchcombe in this group
- manual linear frequency control (for low frequencies close to 0 Hz)
- LFO mode
- LED display
- separate output buffer/amplifier for each waveform
- same levels for all waveforms (10Vpp)

The A-111-2 is based on the CEM3340 Rev G. There was a close cooperation with OnChip since 2015 regarding to the new CEM3340 and we
received the first samples in January during NAMM for our development. The first production batch of the CEM3340 Rev G arrived 2
weeks ago and the production of the A-111-2 during the next few days (we are still waiting for the latest front panel and pcb
samples). I'd expect the first modules about end of July/August. The A-111-3 is also based on the CEM3340 Rev G and we are working
on a Thru-Zero VCO based on the CEM3340 Rev G (module A-111-4).

Best wishes
Dieter Doepfer

I think we can guess who persuaded Onchip to remanufacturer the 3340, hero! SlayerBadger!
Robscorch
johnny83 wrote:

I think we can guess who persuaded Onchip to remanufacturer the 3340, hero! SlayerBadger!

Well I'm sure they get a few emails from time to time as well. Many of us repair people are in need of CEMs desperately, but the only real option is NOS which runs like 70-80 bucks and up a chip on feebay or salvaging another synthesizer. I have killed several beast in order to help Prophets and Memory Moogs out around the Houston area. It hurts in the way it hurts to part out a car you know can be saved, but there has to be a donor. I can only imagine how a doctor/surgeon feels about organ transplants know it will cost a life to save another.

I just hope this trend continues we need more classics to come back. I would love to see some classic vacuum tubes and transistors make a come back. Of course the leaky old school caps can take a hike lol. hihi Wouldn't it be insane if someone out there would start some electronic production lines back up. Not holding my breath though the cost would be from the ground up.
portobellovcs3
Amazing news! Reissue Pro-One in Euro format by Sequential next? That would be the best news in a long time for me.
Rob Kam
There is a later schematic by Juergen Haible Dual VCO (CEM3340-based, with thru-zero FM and various types of sync) with some i/o protection.
graphixsounds
Synthsense wrote:
Crumar Spirits, Synton Syrinxs and Memorymoogs? Yess please applause

...and I can imagine Dave Smith working on a "vanilla" real Prophet5 as a base and add all that modern knowledge they've adquired along many years and add it on top of that

lets hope they add the mod matrix from their pro 2/prophet 12/8 synths with these better sounding VCOs/filters.

love the pro 6 and oberheim reissue idea from a vco/vcf perspective but would love to see more expansive modulation options
estin
Such great news, I can't believe how much Dieter Doepfer has done for the synth world. I wonder if the wife will think it strange if I put of framed picture of Dieter on the wall. w00t
RobJB06
I thought Behringer might have had a hand in this as it surely makes a polysynth a little bit easier for them?
Wonder what will come of all this.. it will be interesting to see if we get some new CEM based poly's, especially if 3320's are on the way too
But its certainly great news for owners of vintage cem based synths, extending their machines working life considerably.
Now if only Yamaha would re manufacture the IG chips for the CS synths, that would surely ease the mind somewhat!
stringsthings
This looks very interesting!
aladan
estin wrote:
Such great news, I can't believe how much Dieter Doepfer has done for the synth world. I wonder if the wife will think it strange if I put of framed picture of Dieter on the wall. w00t

Today I wrote Doepfer's sales department an email to say thank you, and Dieter just responded (in person!) to say that last week they received their production stock, and manufacture of the A-111-2 and A-111-3 VCO modules has now commenced.

He also said "It took a couple of years but last year I could convince OnChip to re-manufacture the CEM3340" so in the absence of any other mention of other new commercial products using rev Gs at this time I'd say it's highly likely that he's the main driver behind the re-issue.

I will be buying one of the new modules as a small gesture to say thank you to him - I'd encourage other Euro owners to do the same It's peanut butter jelly time!

Cheers,
A.
dougt
I've been trying to persuade OnChip to do it for several years. I helped them test the new chips in all of my synths that used the 3340.
aladan
dougt wrote:
I've been trying to persuade OnChip to do it for several years. I helped them test the new chips in all of my synths that used the 3340.

In that case Doug, it's only fair I send my email to you as well (suitably edited) Mr. Green applause

Quote:
I would like to take this opportunity to say THANK YOU to Doug and the SynthParts company for helping organise for the re-manufacture of CEM3340 chips, with Mary Curtis and OnChip.

As a synth repairer, these chips being made again means I will be able to restore old synths that would otherwise have been rendered effectively irrecoverable.

I look forward to being able to purchase a SynthParts product one day, as a small way to help repay your investment and commitment to the synth community.

Cheers,

Adrian Corston
Adelaide, Australia
estin
dougt wrote:

digital hand shake and Guinness ftw! for you and your efforts sir. Thanks!

On a side note, I wonder if doepfer will bring back the A-111-5 synth voice, always wanted that one when I was into euro.

:edit: I think that actually used a different CEM chip waah
dj_bomber
Many thanks to everyone that was involved in this applause Will synthparts sell these then ill definately buy from there.
Will also go for the whole new A-111 line tz/vco modules. Got A-111 A-111-1 and finally A-111-5 recently that contains the still unobtainable cem 3394. Might still be long before that synth-voice chip will see a new batch light after '86 but we have learned that almost nothing is impossible. Cheers! Guinness ftw!
Btw. Also wonder what next monster synth Sequential is breeding for us Mr. Green
nvining
You know, the IT122 is still available. If you were willing to substitute the V2164 for the CEM3360, and use Scott Rider's CEM3310 replacement for the envelope generator, you could make yourself a new Memorymoog voice board...
phutureboy
dougt wrote:
I helped them test the new chips in all of my synths that used the 3340.

Good to hear that. And would you care to share your list of tested "compatible NS(New Stock) CEM3340" synths ?
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
Yay, now the market can be flooded with a whole new generation of lazy designs.
cretaceousear
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

And lazy comments?
latigid on
cretaceousear wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

And lazy comments?

At least they stay in tune and track up to 10 octaves.
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch
latigid on wrote:
cretaceousear wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

And lazy comments?

You betcha! (It got a response, which is what I was after.)

Quote:
At least they stay in tune and track up to 10 octaves.

Yes, there is that. But so does the Dixie. So far nobody seems to have laid their hands on one of these new chips yet. I've put in for a half dozen, just for fun. For polyphonic purposes, I'd probably go with a chip solution rather than a bunch of VCO boards which all need to be hand-calibrated.
slow_riot
I'm glad for the re-release, it's an excellent IC. The on chip exponential conversion with temperature correction is as good as you can do in analogue (if the PPM drift figure given is accurate). The waveforms, likewise, are superb, in particular the triangle to saw waveshaper is the best way to do it.

I'm not at all threatened by the release of the IC, my personal preference in modules is for idiosyncratic circuits using industry standard parts, and a one size fits all VCO on a chip is absolutely not something I am in competition with.
dogfaceaudio
I'm working on going through the Digisound schematics and the CEM3340 datasheet and putting together an open source Eurorack module based on this chip. The big question is how to handle the temperature compensation. While having 10 octaves of stable tracking is the goal, the design may have to settle for 8 depending on the available solutions for keeping the VCO in tune. The initial design will be a single chip VCO, but the end goal is to design a quad VCO with individual 1V/oct inputs for each chip to achieve polyphony at a reasonable price.
emdot_ambient
dogfaceaudio wrote:
I'm working on going through the Digisound schematics and the CEM3340 datasheet and putting together an open source Eurorack module based on this chip. The big question is how to handle the temperature compensation. While having 10 octaves of stable tracking is the goal, the design may have to settle for 8 depending on the available solutions for keeping the VCO in tune. The initial design will be a single chip VCO, but the end goal is to design a quad VCO with individual 1V/oct inputs for each chip to achieve polyphony at a reasonable price.

hmmm..... Not sure what you're referring to since the CEM3340 has internal temp compensation.

Found this article on various methods used in different VCOs on a chip, including the 3340: http://www.openmusiclabs.com/files/expotemp.pdf
dogfaceaudio
elmegil wrote:
dogfaceaudio wrote:

That is the reason I started down the path of trying to figure out how to keep it in tune. If the internal tempco is insufficient to maintain stable tuning over long periods of time, then a external solution will have to be figured out. I'm hoping schematics of old designs that implemented the 3340 would shed some light on the solution.
dogfaceaudio
I emailed susanonchip@covad.net last week but still have had no reply. Has anyone else been able to order successfully?
fredp
@dogfaceaudio, I had a reply 3 days after I sent an email but I didn't do yet any order as I am waiting for next month to do it...
klangbauer
I mailed yesterday. Will see.
Anybody knows where to get a datasheet of new 3340?
synthdude
I sent an email a few days ago but I have not got a reply. Has anyone been able to get a response lately? I really need to buy a few of these.
gbiz
I guess they're really busy responding to orders.

I emailed them at the beginning of the month, got an email back after a few days asking me to provide details on how many i'd be interested in, shipping destination & paypal email addr. Then I got an email early last week saying they were in the process of sending out paypal invoices & to expect mine shortly. I've not seen anything yet.
klangbauer
I´ve got an answer, 5 days later.
They are working hard there ...
synthdude
Yea they are busy, I finally got a reply, and placed an order. Lets see how long it takes to get them in the mail.
Bunk
Hello, my first post here at muff wiggler!

I too Have been in touch with Susan at On Chip regarding buying some chips...or have I?

Now I don't want to cast aspersions on any forum members who may have posted but I've got a few concerns and I'm hoping they can be put to bed.

Firstly On Chip don't seem to have a website. Not a deal breaker in its self but what worries me more is that the contact email address for Susan is @covad.net. I'm in the uk but isn't that like a @yahoo.com address? ie not a business/corporate email address? I also read the text from the design engineer who was copied into the email and he had a hotmail address?

I've had an invoice to my PayPal account that's got Susan's email address at the top but the body of the invoice does say its from on chip systems.

I don't know about these things but from what I can see I've only got an email address I can't verify that I'm about to send money to via PayPal on the hope that I'm actually in contact with on chip. I'm not disputing that the chip has been remanufactured but the whole email/website thing is scaring me.

Hopefully I'm worrying about nothing but I've only seen one member who's actually had their hands on these.
elmegil
Phone number listed here: http://www.manta.com/c/mmjtvqz/on-chip-systems

FWIW doesn't mean necessarily a legit front for the company. But it's another avenue for possible contact?

Also two entries for Susan Haller on LinkedIn, both listing "Adminstrator" at On Chip Systems. same disclaimer applies.
Bunk
Hi elmegil

Thanks for your response. I did see those entries myself but as you point to its no conformation. if I was so inclined couldn't I just set myself up as that person given their info is in the public domain? I'm really hoping this isn't some elaborate plan to liberate us of our hard earned (and rapidly devaluing in the uk) while we're so hyped up. It all just seem a bit too good to be true? Single items via PayPal directly from the manufacturer? I appreciate on chip is not a TI or NXP but I've never heard of say THAT Corp or Any other smaller operation selling in this way?
elmegil
I work for a company with headquarters in Santa Clara CA, was not able to get to the On Chip site last time I was visiting HQ, but at some point I will. Will report back any success....
cretaceousear
Yeah I looked up Covad thinking it must be a parent company and also searched for On Chip.
Very odd for a hi tech company not to have email on its own domain name. hmmm.....
Bunk
Thanks for your response guys.

Another thing that springs to mind is if Mr doepfer did invest in resurrecting the device would he be very happy about the manufacturer selling them on the open market? I've heard it's impossible to get any of the Dave smith chips from on chip. Maybe that's because it's a modified and custom chip or maybe a deal Dave struck? If on chip are looking to recoup their outlay you would think a website would be a given.
Bunk
There's a guy selling wide body 3396 chips on eBay that I'm sure he declares are copies but are tested and respond as they should. Sounds like a similar description to the Rev.G 3340's I've read? I suppose that begs the question are there cloned 3340's in circulation?

Quote from the listing

They're made in China but I've been using these in my repair shop for many years and they work fine. I will test them individually in a Elka EK 22 or in a Oberheim Matrix 6R.
nvining
I ordered 30 chips, and they have arrived! I have not yet, however, had time to verify their operation yet, but I can confirm that they'll ship you a bunch of chips labelled CEM3340 REV G.

I think they're just busy and kind of overwhelmed. I'm sure that regular parts suppliers (Small Bear, etc.) will start picking them up eventually.
Bunk
Hello, my first post here at muff wiggler!

I too Have been in touch with Susan at On Chip regarding buying some chips...or have I?

Now I don't want to cast aspersions on any forum members who may have posted but I've got a few concerns and I'm hoping they can be put to bed.

Firstly On Chip don't seem to have a website. Not a deal breaker in its self but what worries me more is that the contact email address for Susan is @covad.net. I'm in the uk but isn't that like a @yahoo.com address? ie not a business/corporate email address? I also read the text from the design engineer who was copied into the email and he had a hotmail address?

I've had an invoice to my PayPal account that's got Susan's email address at the top but the body of the invoice does say its from on chip systems.

I don't know about these things but from what I can see I've only got an email address I can't verify that I'm about to send money to via PayPal on the hope that I'm actually in contact with on chip. I'm not disputing that the chip has been remanufactured but the whole email/website thing is scaring me.

Hopefully I'm worrying about nothing but I've only seen one member who's actually had their hands on these.
meatcliff
OnChip is a company that was formed by Doug Curtis.

Curtis' widow has also made a statement on their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/curtischips/

Doug T along with several reputable manufacturers have had early access to and have tested the chips.

Small qty sales are most likely outside of the company's normal business, which is why they're going through paypal.
Bunk
Thanks meat cliff.

I Was aware of Doug's connection to OnChip and I've no doubt that they are indeed re manufacturing the 3340.

My concern was more around the contacts that are listed here and elsewhere and whether they are genuinely OnChip staff selling through the business and not someone pretending to be from OnChip, with a plausible cover, scamming people into thinking they are dealing with OnChip directly.

I'm heartened to see another member has received their order and I'm ready to pull the trigger on my order too. There is just something niggling me and I want to be 100% sure before I send Payment to a possibly random PayPal account.
Bunk
Sorry posted twice in error
neil.johnson
Bunk wrote:
Thanks for your response guys.

Another thing that springs to mind is if Mr doepfer did invest in resurrecting the device would he be very happy about the manufacturer selling them on the open market? I've heard it's impossible to get any of the Dave smith chips from on chip. Maybe that's because it's a modified and custom chip or maybe a deal Dave struck? If on chip are looking to recoup their outlay you would think a website would be a given.

Depends on the terms of the deal. Exclusivity usually costs in some form (e.g., minimum annual order quantities), and if word got out then it might actually harm Doepfer's perception in the market.

Some other manufacturers in the modular market have signed excluisve deals on certain parts, with the effect that everyone else pays a higher price.

As regards the website and email situation, if they're a small outfit focussing on a few lines and they already have volume customers signed up and a heritage that speaks for itself, then do they really need the additional overheads of an IT team?

Neil
Bunk
Thanks for your response Neil, and let me thank you for your wonderful site too. A great resource, not least for those hard to fing ThomsonSGS data Sheets!

Yeah you guys are prob right and it's my overdeveloped fear of being scammed that's kicking in!
adhmzaiusz
So, my batch showed up and I had a chance to throw them in my OB-8 last night and make a short video demonstration for anyone interested:

https://youtu.be/rslPZYUMQMw

Doesn't this board have a embed youtube feature?
elmegil
Wow, that sounds awesome.

The embed is like this:

bracket video closebracket link bracket slash video closebracket
you can use the video button to get open and close tags.

Note that usually you have to get rid of the "s" in an https reference for it to work correctly.

Robscorch
IF this was gear slutz they would all start in, but honestly this is so similar because well shit it better be. Specially just as a substitute I guarantee if someone brought one in for repair and didn't know the situation on these chips 99% of audiophiles wouldn't even have a clue.
nvining
Sounds identical to me.
Bunk
adhmzaiusz wrote:
So, my batch showed up and I had a chance to throw them in my OB-8 last night and make a short video demonstration for anyone interested:

https://youtu.be/rslPZYUMQMw

Doesn't this board have a embed youtube feature?

Thanks for your positive story! I take it you sourced them from Susan on the email address further back in the thread?
adhmzaiusz
Bunk wrote:

Thanks for your positive story! I take it you sourced them from Susan on the email address further back in the thread?

Yes, purchased from Susan. It took about 3 weeks or so from the time I first made contact with them to the time I got them.
nvining
Sure enough, there is somebody over on GS busy yelling about how they're "different in the high end"

*rocks fall, everyone dies*
Bunk
Just watch the original Rev chip prices rise. It's laughable. You know what they say about a fool and his money tho....
Bunk
adhmzaiusz wrote:
Bunk wrote:

Yes, purchased from Susan. It took about 3 weeks or so from the time I first made contact with them to the time I got them.

Many thanks! cool
emdot_ambient
nvining wrote:
Sure enough, there is somebody over on GS busy yelling about how they're "different in the high end"

Someone who probably bought a bunch of NOS when they were $75 ea. and was hoping on making a killing. waah Boo hoo.
pulse_divider
Just wanted to report in, I had a lucky Jupiter 6 Craigslist score a couple of weeks ago but it had one dead oscillator.
I contacted Susan via the info in the first post and she sent me a Paypal invoice later that day. 4 days later I had them at my door, they were well-packaged and the shipping charge was the actual cost.
I popped it in the JP6 and it works great and sounds identical!
dogfaceaudio
Got two IC's to prototype a Eurorack oscillator, the chips arrived without issues. So it looks like they don't mind really small orders.
okelk
Has anybody in the EU ordered some CEM3340s and can tell me what they charged for shipping them?
LektroiD
Where can we buy these in the UK?

Anyone doing a group buy?
HipDestroyer
NLC has a really cool looking cem3340 vco coming: http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.dk/2016/08/things-to-come-cem3340-vc o.html?m=1
aladan
okelk wrote:
Has anybody in the EU ordered some CEM3340s and can tell me what they charged for shipping them?

Shipping for 10 chips was USD$35 to Australia, which should likely represent a worldwide upper bound, given the distances involved. Priority mail would have cost USD$65, but I did not choose it.
andrewF
aladan wrote:
okelk wrote:

Shipping for 10 chips was USD$35 to Australia, which should likely represent a worldwide upper bound, given the distances involved. Priority mail would have cost USD$65, but I did not choose it.

I paid US$15 shipping to Australia for 10 chips......plus US$7 paypal fee. They do try to find the cheapest option for you.

HipDestroyer wrote:
NLC has a really cool looking cem3340 vco coming: http://nonlinearcircuits.blogspot.dk/2016/08/things-to-come-cem3340-vc o.html?m=1

It's peanut butter jelly time! Proto-types will be here next week, can't wait

aladan
andrewF wrote:
aladan wrote:
okelk wrote:

I paid US$15 shipping to Australia for 10 chips......plus US$7 paypal fee. They do try to find the cheapest option for you.

Shit... well unfortunately they didn't find a particularly cheap option for me :-(

HipDestroyer wrote:

Yeah, well you know I'll be on this for sure ;-)
Electric Druid
I've ordered some too, so while I wait for them to arrive (they're stuck in customs) I've been studying the "prior art", and have done a page of all the CEM3340 implementations I can find from classic synths.

I'll be adding a few more to this as I get to them:

http://electricdruid.net/cem3340-vco-voltage-controlled-oscillator-des igns/

Hope one of you fellow CEMsters finds this useful!

Tom
grenert
Hi, Tom. I love the Electric Druid site! One more CEM3340 design, the Digisound VCLFO:
http://electro-music.com/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Schematics.DigisoundModular CEM3340BasedVCLFO
ejr27233
Excellent page Tom. Looking forward to the Syrinx.
Are you still planning to sell the chips?
Electric Druid
ejr27233 wrote:
Excellent page Tom. Looking forward to the Syrinx.

Thanks for the positive comments, guys.

Quote:
Are you still planning to sell the chips?

possibly, but not immediately. In the end I bought some chips for development purposes, but if I come up with something good, I'll probably stock chips and PCBs. Don't hold your breath - I've still got a digital delay to finish first!

Tom
klangbauer
Look for an "eagle" lib file for 3340.
Anybody just draw it or konws where to get?

Thankx
Rob Kam
A small cem.lbr I did for Eagle on GitHub, includes the 3340.
klangbauer
Thank you

Klangbaukoeln
cabintech
FYI, Coolaudio announced today a CEM3340 clone.
opuswerk
I tried getting in touch with susan, but to no avail. Does anyone know if they are still doing those?
Altitude909
opuswerk wrote:
I tried getting in touch with susan, but to no avail. Does anyone know if they are still doing those?

Yes, I ordered some a few weeks ago.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> General Gear  
Page 1 of 5