MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Trial by wombat
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Author Trial by wombat
Nelson Baboon
It is my right, punks...

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/255130129" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
blt
This is fucking great.
solaris
great set,
uncanny valley and all that.
Kernelkunt
I like that first track a lot.
Nelson Baboon
thanks everyone!

First forays with the new 9 string violin.
felixer
Nelson Baboon wrote:
9 string violin.

great track! listening to all your new stuff ... i was out for a while but this is a reason to come back ;-)

could you post a pic of that new violin?
Nelson Baboon
felixer wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:
9 string violin.

great track! listening to all your new stuff ... i was out for a while but this is a reason to come back ;-)

could you post a pic of that new violin?

my pictures always come out terribly. Here's an attempt. (thank you for the kind words!)

felixer
wow ... indeed a beast! looks wonderful thumbs up clever design with the tuningpegs close to your face.
are you using a piezo pickup? would be tricky to make a magnetic one with that curved fingerboard, but not impossible ... and since you're using steel strings ...

i really like the combination of such an 'old fashioned' instrument with 'modern' electronics. gives the whole thing a lot of depth ...
also you don't often hear that combination. the music scene seems split between 'retro/vintage' and 'modern/electronic' (which often isn't really new/modern either). good to hear someone combining it all and having some really exiting electronic sounds we're not worthy

btw the bits on soundcloud seem excerpts? the endings seem just a cut? if so, are you going to release downloadable full length versions? could be a nice cd box cool
Nelson Baboon
felixer wrote:
wow ... indeed a beast! looks wonderful thumbs up clever design with the tuningpegs close to your face.
are you using a piezo pickup? would be tricky to make a magnetic one with that curved fingerboard, but not impossible ... and since you're using steel strings ...

i really like the combination of such an 'old fashioned' instrument with 'modern' electronics. gives the whole thing a lot of depth ...
also you don't often hear that combination. the music scene seems split between 'retro/vintage' and 'modern/electronic' (which often isn't really new/modern either). good to hear someone combining it all and having some really exiting electronic sounds we're not worthy

btw the bits on soundcloud seem excerpts? the endings seem just a cut? if so, are you going to release downloadable full length versions? could be a nice cd box cool

The pickup is a custom Barbera (not too many 9 strings made). You can also get a magnetic pickup - I believe that the string amp pickup is a magnetic one. John Jordan (maker of the violin) was describing to me what a pain they were to get working properly and that he was glad I didn't order one. On the other hand, I tried one of his violins that had one, and it was different enough that I'd love to have one at one point.It might not be too far fetched in that I'm going to wind up selling the 7 string now (which also has a Barbera pickup).

As far as the tracks sounding like "excerpts", I've always liked the notion that indeed they do sound that way. I basically pull them all from longer improvisations, and perhaps it's just my laziness, but I've always liked the fact that they enter abruptly and leave abruptly, rather than have some artificial beginning and ending.
noisejockey
Holy. Hell. This track is amazing.

Also, this might win for track title of the year. It's peanut butter jelly time!
felixer
Nelson Baboon wrote:
The pickup is a custom Barbera

it sounds great! a lot more 'acoustic' then i would have expected from such a compact solidbody.
i wonder how one of those would sound on a solid nylon/gut string guitar ...
Nelson Baboon wrote:
magnetic pickup - different enough that I'd love to have one at one point

yes. esp for some effects (like distortion) i think a magnetic pu is preferable.
Nelson Baboon wrote:
As far as the tracks sounding like "excerpts", I've always liked the notion that indeed they do sound that way.

fair enough. you succeeded Mr. Green
dogoftears
i usually appreciate yr abrupt cuts but that first one ends waaaaaay too soon!! it's so good!

i shall cook chicken to this.
notmiserlouagain
Sounds like a silent movie soundtrack as Dr.Faustus is going insane or something. Lovely!

Trial by wombat hihi
ynth
Great recording Nelson. I enjoyed 'Universe of Ugly Sound' even more.
Swann
Tracks sound great! That violin is badass, I want one!
Nelson Baboon
Swann wrote:
Tracks sound great! That violin is badass, I want one!

if you're serious, I'd sell the 7 string, since this 9 string makes it superfluous. I have tentative plans to trade it in with Jordan for something else, but the trade in isn't the most incredible deal....
Hi5
Nelson Baboon

This sort of reminds of older Kaffe Mathews work when she still did live sampling with a violin. Looks like she is doing sound arts now but her releases back in '97 really got me into sampling.

[bandcamp width=100% height=42 album=1673135791 size=small bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5]
Mr. Mulcahy
cool stuff Guinness ftw!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Synth Noise  
Page 1 of 1