Trial by wombat

Discussing gear, production, and ideas for making noise music. Enough JMJ, let's rock like Merzbow!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., analogdigital, infradead, lisa, parasitk, plord

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Trial by wombat

Post by Nelson Baboon » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:19 am

It is my right, punks...

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/255130129" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

blt
The Cilantro Catalyst

Post by blt » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:31 am

This is fucking great.

solaris
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Location: ̋͋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̏̏ ̏ ˳̊̊̊̊̊ ˳̥̥̥̥̥̊̊̊̊̊̊̊˳̥˯Ξ̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿̿▂ ̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋̋

Post by solaris » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:55 am

great set,
uncanny valley and all that.
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ t r a n s f e k t i o n ▔▔▔▔╲▂▂▁▂▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂▁▁
▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ □ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈□ ▂̵̶̵̥̤̳̤̇̈̄̅̈▔╲▂̥̥̊̊̊̊▂ ‬::.:::.h++p://z.x-xx---x.info □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □ □‬

Kernelkunt
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Kernelkunt » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:17 pm

I like that first track a lot.

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:00 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:9 string violin.
great track! listening to all your new stuff ... i was out for a while but this is a reason to come back ;-)

could you post a pic of that new violin?
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:25 pm

felixer wrote:
Nelson Baboon wrote:9 string violin.
great track! listening to all your new stuff ... i was out for a while but this is a reason to come back ;-)

could you post a pic of that new violin?
my pictures always come out terribly. Here's an attempt. (thank you for the kind words!)

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:21 am

wow ... indeed a beast! looks wonderful :tu: clever design with the tuningpegs close to your face.
are you using a piezo pickup? would be tricky to make a magnetic one with that curved fingerboard, but not impossible ... and since you're using steel strings ...

i really like the combination of such an 'old fashioned' instrument with 'modern' electronics. gives the whole thing a lot of depth ...
also you don't often hear that combination. the music scene seems split between 'retro/vintage' and 'modern/electronic' (which often isn't really new/modern either). good to hear someone combining it all and having some really exiting electronic sounds :hail:

btw the bits on soundcloud seem excerpts? the endings seem just a cut? if so, are you going to release downloadable full length versions? could be a nice cd box 8-)
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:07 pm

felixer wrote:wow ... indeed a beast! looks wonderful :tu: clever design with the tuningpegs close to your face.
are you using a piezo pickup? would be tricky to make a magnetic one with that curved fingerboard, but not impossible ... and since you're using steel strings ...

i really like the combination of such an 'old fashioned' instrument with 'modern' electronics. gives the whole thing a lot of depth ...
also you don't often hear that combination. the music scene seems split between 'retro/vintage' and 'modern/electronic' (which often isn't really new/modern either). good to hear someone combining it all and having some really exiting electronic sounds :hail:

btw the bits on soundcloud seem excerpts? the endings seem just a cut? if so, are you going to release downloadable full length versions? could be a nice cd box 8-)
The pickup is a custom Barbera (not too many 9 strings made). You can also get a magnetic pickup - I believe that the string amp pickup is a magnetic one. John Jordan (maker of the violin) was describing to me what a pain they were to get working properly and that he was glad I didn't order one. On the other hand, I tried one of his violins that had one, and it was different enough that I'd love to have one at one point.It might not be too far fetched in that I'm going to wind up selling the 7 string now (which also has a Barbera pickup).

As far as the tracks sounding like "excerpts", I've always liked the notion that indeed they do sound that way. I basically pull them all from longer improvisations, and perhaps it's just my laziness, but I've always liked the fact that they enter abruptly and leave abruptly, rather than have some artificial beginning and ending.

noisejockey
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by noisejockey » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:40 pm

Holy. Hell. This track is amazing.

Also, this might win for track title of the year. :banana:

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:29 pm

Nelson Baboon wrote:The pickup is a custom Barbera
it sounds great! a lot more 'acoustic' then i would have expected from such a compact solidbody.
i wonder how one of those would sound on a solid nylon/gut string guitar ...
Nelson Baboon wrote:magnetic pickup - different enough that I'd love to have one at one point
yes. esp for some effects (like distortion) i think a magnetic pu is preferable.
Nelson Baboon wrote:As far as the tracks sounding like "excerpts", I've always liked the notion that indeed they do sound that way.
fair enough. you succeeded :mrgreen:
Last edited by felixer on Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dogoftears
Puddle of Sealions

Post by dogoftears » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:41 pm

i usually appreciate yr abrupt cuts but that first one ends waaaaaay too soon!! it's so good!

i shall cook chicken to this.
music and mastering: http://xexify.com
Nelson Baboon wrote:I have made America great again.

notmiserlouagain
Veteran Wiggler

Post by notmiserlouagain » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:59 pm

Sounds like a silent movie soundtrack as Dr.Faustus is going insane or something. Lovely!

Trial by wombat :hihi:

ynth
You're a gazelle

Post by ynth » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:59 am

Great recording Nelson. I enjoyed 'Universe of Ugly Sound' even more.

Swann
Common Wiggler

Post by Swann » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:59 pm

Tracks sound great! That violin is badass, I want one!

Nelson Baboon
droolmaster0

Post by Nelson Baboon » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:04 pm

Swann wrote:Tracks sound great! That violin is badass, I want one!
if you're serious, I'd sell the 7 string, since this 9 string makes it superfluous. I have tentative plans to trade it in with Jordan for something else, but the trade in isn't the most incredible deal....

Hi5
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Hi5 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:12 pm

Nelson Baboon

This sort of reminds of older Kaffe Mathews work when she still did live sampling with a violin. Looks like she is doing sound arts now but her releases back in '97 really got me into sampling.

[bandcamp width=100% height=42 album=1673135791 size=small bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5]
tetno: https://soundcloud.com/richard-holhburn
Goiks: A eurorack setup is a contemporary folk instrument. Relatively accessible and portable. Largely by, of and for the people.

Mr. Mulcahy
Common Wiggler

Post by Mr. Mulcahy » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:45 pm

cool stuff :guinness:

Return to “Synth Noise”