[IN STOCK] Manual Voltage Processor - 16hp of Euro utility

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Jop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jop » Mon May 25, 2015 2:09 pm

Just finished the MVP, the SOIC package was quite doable with a normal tip :)

Great module!

fuzzbass
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by fuzzbass » Tue May 26, 2015 7:53 pm

You have chosen wisely young master.
Wired for weird

sammy123
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sammy123 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:55 pm

Yeah Jop. Nice work. Great module indeed fuzzbass. I use it in all my patches.

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:45 pm

webpage has no info on the voltage consumption but modulargrid says +12 60 - 12 60 is that correct?

Jop
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Jop » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:54 pm

Yep, I measured approx - 56 & + 59 mA

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:14 pm

thanks !

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:37 pm

Is there supposed to be two circuit boards with this kit? I just received mine today, and only have one. Did the prototype use two and the production unit just use one?

EDIT: yes, looks like a bad shipment... Good thing my parts to populate the boards aren't going to be here anytime soon!
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:46 am

Major bummer: somehow Synthcube found themselves short on the jack/pot PCB, and decided to sell this "kit" as-is (you'd have to scroll down and read the description to notice this, and who does this if you already know what you're buying?!?!).

How hard would this be to wire up the panel by hand and skip the jack/pot panel? Is this even possible?

letness
Learning to Wiggle

Post by letness » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:15 am

I'm in the same boat, DJMaytag. SynthCube was kind enough to send me the pic below, which gives the pinout for the control pcb--so you have to imagine how it would connect to the primary pcb. (I hope it's okay that I uploaded this pic--if not, let me know.)

From what I can tell, the SOICs and resistors on the control pcb are only there to drive the LEDs, so I'm leaving them off of my build (which may not be an option if you use the official MA panel, as it already has holes for the LEDs). If someone could confirm that the SOICs and resistors only drive the LEDs, that would be great.

Anyway, I've attached another pic showing how I've done the wiring for the mults. I think it's right, but would love confirmation from a more experienced wiggler. I'm waiting on 9mm pots to complete the wiring--but it looks pretty straightforward. If it's helpful (and I get it working), I'll post another pic once I've completed the wiring.

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:25 am

Correct, those are just the LED drivers.

I suppose I can order a few control boards, they'd be "prototype-style" with no markings or soldermask and they wouldn't be inexpensive, but... depends on your level of motivation. (I could do a ~4-pack for maybe $30/ea... that would be my cost. I wouldn't mark them up.)

letness
Learning to Wiggle

Post by letness » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:53 am

Thanks for confirming, negativespace! And for the offer of the control boards, especially at cost--very generous of you. Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm happy doing the wiring without the control board (weirdly, I enjoy wiring). Again, really appreciate the customer support!

euromorcego
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by euromorcego » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:56 am

is it discontinued? The panel and pcb option?

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:16 pm

negativspace wrote:Correct, those are just the LED drivers.

I suppose I can order a few control boards, they'd be "prototype-style" with no markings or soldermask and they wouldn't be inexpensive, but... depends on your level of motivation. (I could do a ~4-pack for maybe $30/ea... that would be my cost. I wouldn't mark them up.)
I think I'm inclined to do the hand wiring and fashion up a bracket to mount the PCB to.

As far as the LED drivers go, how might one wire together a breadboard to ensure the LED circuits will work? I almost find this to be a bonus to do this off the PCB so I don't have to screw around with soldering any SMD chips! :)

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:23 pm

letness wrote:I'm waiting on 9mm pots to complete the wiring--but it looks pretty straightforward.
Are those 16mm pots in there now? If so, won't those work? Ive got a ton of extra 16mm's on the way from Tayra soon, so I'd like to use some of those if possible. I'll be ordering up a bunch of stuff from Smaller soonish, mostly to score a bunch of 9mm pots for other projects I'm lining up.

Thanks for the heads up on that wiring diagram and the pics of the hand wiring!

letness
Learning to Wiggle

Post by letness » Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:01 pm

I think that the 16mm pots would work fine for a bracket (and likely be a bit easier to solder). I was just trying to mount the board parallel to the panel with some standoffs (fixed to the panel with epoxy) and couldn't find a place for them with the bigger pots. Not sure if my plan will work yet, so I may end up with a bracket as well.

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:41 pm

letness wrote:I think that the 16mm pots would work fine for a bracket (and likely be a bit easier to solder). I was just trying to mount the board parallel to the panel with some standoffs (fixed to the panel with epoxy) and couldn't find a place for them with the bigger pots. Not sure if my plan will work yet, so I may end up with a bracket as well.
12mm Alpha's with solder lugs might work. Adding them to my next Smallbear order to give them a shot.

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcomme ... der-terms/

negativspace
Manhattan Analog

Post by negativspace » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:38 pm

euromorcego wrote:is it discontinued? The panel and pcb option?
This incarnation has been discontinued. I'm entirely out of both PCBs, with 3 panels left in my stash.

I'm going to re-issue it, hopefully in the not terribly distant future, with several mechanical and electrical updates. Panel will remain the same as will the feature set, but it's moving to SMT assembly so future DIY versions will be more like the pre-fab R*S projects.

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:41 am

negativspace wrote:
euromorcego wrote:is it discontinued? The panel and pcb option?
This incarnation has been discontinued. I'm entirely out of both PCBs, with 3 panels left in my stash.

I'm going to re-issue it, hopefully in the not terribly distant future, with several mechanical and electrical updates. Panel will remain the same as will the feature set, but it's moving to SMT assembly so future DIY versions will be more like the pre-fab R*S projects.
That will likely be my second one of these then! :tu:

letness
Learning to Wiggle

Post by letness » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:09 pm

DJMaytag wrote:12mm Alpha's with solder lugs might work.
Those look like a good solution--thanks for pointing them out!

oberkorn
Veteran Wiggler

Post by oberkorn » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:18 am

built mine a while ago from a PCB/panel set from synthcube.
everything works except the LEDs. since they are two-colour, I assumed the orientation didn't matter.
is there anything I should check?
Last edited by oberkorn on Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

euromorcego
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by euromorcego » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:43 am

oberkorn wrote:built mi ne a while ago from a PCB/panel set from synthcube.
everything works except the LEDs. since they are two-colour, I assumed the orientation didn't matter.
is there anything I should check?
did you read the thread? The legs of the legs are close to other components, check that they do not accidentally touch anything.
Otherwise check the SMD op-amp, if it is properly soldered. Orientation of the leds indeed doesn't matter (if they are bi-color and not broken ... i once had a non-functional led and it took ages to figure it out because I just never assumed the led was broken).

colorbars
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colorbars » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:28 am

Any chance of this happening? I made the mistake of ordering the synthcube one with the missing control pcb as well :/

sanders
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sanders » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:23 pm

Is this a one sided board? It looks like it would be pretty easy to etch if we had the rest of the image.

I'd also like to build this module, but I've been holding off on buying an incomplete kit.
letness wrote: Image
Last edited by sanders on Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sanders
Veteran Wiggler

Post by sanders » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:25 pm

If the hardware PCB can't be etched on 1-side (provided the full image could be used with permission), I might also be interested in having a board printed. Is it $30 for 4 PCBs, or 4 PCBs minimum, $30 each/$120?

colorbars
Wiggling with Experience

Post by colorbars » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:35 pm

Any chance we can still make this happen? Would like to build this thing properly :/
sanders wrote:If the hardware PCB can't be etched on 1-side (provided the full image could be used with permission), I might also be interested in having a board printed. Is it $30 for 4 PCBs, or 4 PCBs minimum, $30 each/$120?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”