MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Show us your DIY MMModules...
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular  
Author Show us your DIY MMModules...
Adam-V
Here's my first one:

Frac 4x Gate Delay

Cheers,
Adam-V
Luka
mmm
That's just too cool, guys Guinness ftw!

Keep sharing, this is fun.

G
Adam-V
Frac Voltage Controlled Mixer

Cheers,
Adam-V
werock
thumbs up Hmmm, that's given me an idea...
sandyb
good work Adam and Luka.
i'm planning a modcan a series panel with two vc dual lfos when they're done. i've also got an amplitude follower but haven't decided exactly what i'm doing with that yet. i might do it in a standalone box or maybe something a bit different. hmm...
BugBrand
Frac love and banana love ---- I like 'em!

They all look like fantastically useful modules -- especially liking the look of the Quad Gate Delay -- yum!
Adam-V
And one more!

Cheers,
Adam-V
Scottzilla
Very nice! applause
qu.one
really bad pic, but i squeezed the VCF and AF1 each on a 6HP euro panel width. i wanted to try and keep the MINI part of MMM alive in euro.

panels are etched opaque black acrylic. (with finger grease on them)

knobs are temp and i haven't installed the LEDs for the AF1, but you get the idea. im still trying to figure out what knobs - they need to be small.

i was just happy i finally had time to wire it up...

the only thing is that bandpass on the VCF is noticeably lower in audio level: see here for audio example.

mmm
I like the finger grease eek!
Adam-V
Finger grease AND big knobs -a winning combination!

Do you get much flex on the acrylic panels?

Cheers,
Adam-V
qu.one
Luka wrote:

this is gorgeous btw...
BananaPlug
Here's my Squiggletronics edition of the MMM State Variable Filter! Works great!

I added a 2nd CV input and an attenuator on the audio input. Getting this into one frac unit with 16mm Alpha pots was a tight squeeze. The skinny Davies knob kock offs make it easy to use. The jacks are Serge color code because that's how I do all my 3u banana conversions

Blue acrylic panel from Pro-Modular with a bit of white spray paint.

...done up in blue print blue, sure looks good on you... It's peanut butter jelly time!

Ooops. Those are gifs. I'll fix it later. d'oh!
Cybananna
those all look great!
qu.one
WOW! BananaPlug, your panel assembled came out GREAT!
qu.one
WAY better with these knobs.

Luka
the davis touch smile

looks awesome stephen
BananaPlug
Here's my Squiggletronics edition of the MMM VC Mixer!

This is now the output module for my small Frankensynth (about 19" square). It's peanut butter jelly time!
It was not easy cramming this into a 1.5" wide frac module! If I'd done something like wire all the pots backwards I would have been really pissed.

The four pots are pull pots. Boat
Pull the pot and a 5V source is substituted for the signal from that channel's CV input jack. This makes it behave exactly like a channel of a manual mixer. The little hole above the output jack is a recessed mini jack, same signal.

Panel laser cut by Pro-Modular just like the filter a few posts back.
Adam-V
Nice one. I thought I was good at squeezing functionality into small spaces!

Cheers,
Adam-V
pugix
BananaPlug wrote:

The four pots are pull pots. Boat

I've been looking for pull-switch pots. Got a part number?

Thanks,
BananaPlug
I buy them from Smallbear The Chewbacca Defense
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=619
qu.one
Bananaplug stuff looks great. Classy all the way.
pugix
BananaPlug wrote:
I buy them from Smallbear The Chewbacca Defense
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=619

Perfect! nanners

This will work great with the Mattson Quad EG I am building. I'm going to use the pull pots to switch between AD and AR mode.

Thanks,
goiks
an old and crappy pic, sorry!
negativspace
Here's my Quad VCA, kitbashed into a VC-mixer via a CGS DC Mixer board, with a side of LEDs:

The LEDs are bi-color - red for positive voltages and yellow for negative. Thanks again, George! It's exactly what I need it to be.
Adam-V
Nice one. I like the addition of the on board mixer - great idea.

Cheers,
Adam-V
mmm
You guys have some real talent applause

I should probably ask if it's OK to put some of these in my site gallery.
Since we're working on the site anyway, may as well bring it up to date.

G
Adam-V
That's a great idea George, I'm happy for any of my pics to be used. Let me know if you need better quality ones.

Cheers,
Adam-V
negativspace
Thanks, guys! Guinness ftw!

Adam-V wrote:
That's a great idea George, I'm happy for any of my pics to be used. Let me know if you need better quality ones.

Same goes for mine. thumbs up
Luka
as i
pugix
George, feel free to steal any photos from my website. Here's a good place to look:

http://pugix.com/synth/category/modules/mattson/

eyes...
D/A A/D
MY ASS IS BLEEDING
ritchiedrums
ritchiedrums
lol In the Words of MONTY PYTHON:
"...And Now For Something Completely Different!"
applause applause applause

applause applause applause

Decided to make a panel for this MoogerFooger.
There was lots of space, so now there is also a Mattson VCA

It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time!
mmm
You're having too much fun Ritchie we're not worthy
applause thumbs up applause thumbs up applause thumbs up
ritchiedrums
w00t w00t
TOOOoooo True!! Guinness ftw!
cv slime 800
I got the Sample & Hold/Track & Hold from the recent sale here. I've just played with it today & spinning !

Here's a shot of my build, it's a bit rustic...

I had more elaborate plans for graphics but this is what I did instead because I got impatient... but I do like it none-the-less:

LED action:
ritchiedrums
applause applause applause I Like Rustic!!!! thumbs up
rico loverde
qu.one wrote:
WAY better with these knobs.

awesome job man..they look almost like the new Malekko VCA, love the Mattson sine wave at the bottom
Adam-V
I always thought the MMM logo was the old school schematic symbol for a resistor!

Anyway, great looking modules eveyrone.

Cheers,
Adam-V
rico loverde
[quote="Adam-V"]I always thought the MMM logo was the old school schematic symbol for a resistor!

that actually works better, never thought of that
mmm
Adam-V wrote:
I always thought the MMM logo was the old school schematic symbol for a resistor!

Anyway, great looking modules eveyrone.

Cheers,
Adam-V

Actually, it's an 'M'

But, if strung together, it's a triangle wave with every third positive peak grounded. I can actually build a circuit that will generate "The Mattson Wave"

But, Triangles have few overtones anyway and a few less is really not impressive. Dead Banana
pugix
The latest mini-MOTM conversions:

Quad AD/ASR

More details:
http://pugix.com/synth/mattson-quad-adasr-envelope-generator/

4-Channel Gate Delay

More details:
http://pugix.com/synth/mattson-4-channel-gate-delay/
Adam-V
Nice work Richard.

Cheers,
Adam-V
cv slime 800
The 6HP Glide faceplate was chopped and cobbled from a blank MMM one. Smash!

Adam-V
cv slime 800 wrote:
The 6HP Glide faceplate was chopped and cobbled from a blank MMM one.

That's seriously twisted!

Great lo-fi panels though.

Cheers,
Adam-V
fluxmonkey
Matson S/H in 1/2 width frac panel:

i used a pull-switch on the glide pot for the sample/track function.

the internal oscillator and clock pots are supposed to be 1meg reverse log, which i didn't have so i used linear... they really need to be reverse log (very small usable range now at abt 3:00), so i've ordered some from smallbear.

also a discrepancy between the documentation and pcb legending on the internal VCO pot and LED connections. the PCB is correct--outside/upper 3 pins (top left in my pic) for the pot; i omitted the LED.

very nice module, perfect for my needs... thx george!

bbob
mmm
fluxmonkey wrote:

i used a pull-switch on the glide pot for the sample/track function.

the internal oscillator and clock pots are supposed to be 1meg reverse log, which i didn't have so i used linear... they really need to be reverse log (very small usable range now at abt 3:00), so i've ordered some from smallbear.

also a discrepancy between the documentation and pcb legending on the internal VCO pot and LED connections. the PCB is correct--outside/upper 3 pins (top left in my pic) for the pot; i omitted the LED.

very nice module, perfect for my needs... thx george!

bbob

SOB. You're right. It says CF2C for the pot which should be CF2D. very frustrating
Good call. I never build from those info sheets hmmm.....

PS, that panel looks great. Love it. applause

G
negativspace
pugix wrote:
The latest mini-MOTM conversions:

Quad AD/ASR

Nice! I'm totally stealing your idea for the push-pull switch pots on that one. thumbs up
Adam-V
That's a great panel fluxmonkey.

Cheers,
Adam-V
Jason Brock
Received a box from Front Panel Express yesterday. w00t

I pieced it together but I probably won't be soldering anything this week since I think I caught the flu and all I want to do right now is take a nap. I have uploaded the FPD file to the Yahoo Group. All parts are from George except the 1/4" jack which is a Switchcraft 12A (so I know that one fits). Buying the separate mounting panel from FPE was expensive but it probably saved me a lot of headaches.

EDIT - I removed the mounting board panel FPE document from the Yahoo group. It works if you have extra space in your rack, but it's not a 100% perfect solution because even when I switched to shorter standoffs the power cable sticks out to the left of the module beyond the side of the panel. I don't want people ordering it and being surprised when it doesn't fit right, so I removed it. I now think the best solution for MMM panels is to mount one or two boards parallel to the faceplate. Two stacked boards will be more shallow than one board mounted at 90 degrees. The width will just barely fit behind a 14hp Euro panel. 16hp will give you a bit of working room - but if you wire up two boards behind a 14hp panel you get a double module.

cv slime 800
Really nice soundxplorer! woah
fluxmonkey
fluxmonkey wrote:
<image>

got the reverse log pots and swapped 'em in... much better, very happy.

b
Adam-V
That's some really nice Euro MMM soundxplorer.

Cheers,
Adam-V
negativspace
So I finally had some time over the holiday to sit down and wire up the Quad EG. I added LEDs to the panel and used Alpha 16mm push-pull switch pots for the AD/ASR mode switches - in is AD, out is ASR. The panel is 10hp. Here's how it turned out:

Notes:

1) I asked George to leave the DIP-switch and its socket off of my board when he built it. The switch pots are wired with a center and back post on one row connected to the PCB pads. If you prefer In = ASR/Out = AD then wire up the front and center posts on one row instead. I clipped the 4 unused pins on mine to avoid any unnecessary shorts... it's really #$&#&ing tight in there with 8 pots facing inwards and 4 LEDs down the centerline...

2) LED signals are taken off the output jacks and all 4 LEDs go to ground via 4.7k resistors. (Any smaller than that and it had a negative impact on the strength of the output.)
pugix
negativspace wrote:
So I finally had some time over the holiday to sit down and wire up the Quad EG. I added LEDs to the panel and used Alpha 16mm push-pull switch pots for the AD/ASR mode switches - in is AD, out is ASR. The panel is 10hp. Here's how it turned out:

Very neat and tidy! thumbs up
So compact. It's still mini!
Adam-V
Very nice indeed!

Cheers,
Adam-V
negativspace
Thanks, guys! I love the module, now I've just gotta figure out which one I wanna tackle next. thumbs up
mamonu
@Jason Brock : Really nice.

Im going to try to do the same...(excited!! SlayerBadger! )

I registered on the yahoo group (waiting for approval)
in order to get the FPD ...

Thanks for making it availiable! And we're not worthy to MMM since its an option much better than the Doepfer one...

Btw what was the price for the separate mounting panel from FPE ?
trying to find that too but didnt have much luck....

(Edit: ooooh i see what youve done... clever.... ).
scozbor
gate delay!
hasty drilling let me down on the LED's seriously, i just don't get it

D/A A/D
Still looks great!
Jason Brock
@negativespace - very nice! The push/pull pots were an excellent idea.

mamonu wrote:

Btw what was the price for the separate mounting panel from FPE ?
trying to find that too but didnt have much luck....

The mounting panel was $20 and the faceplate was around $45. When I bent the mounting panel it made some horrible cracking noises but I don't think the metal was weakened (too much). It's not an ideal solution but it hasn't fallen off so far. hihi I still haven't wired it up yet. I wasn't able to even start building my new Euro case until last weekend.
Jason Brock
scozbor wrote:
gate delay!

Looks excellent! Is that Frac or Euro? Or __?
Adam-V
I agree, it's still a great panel.

Cheers,
Adam-V
scozbor
Jason Brock wrote:
scozbor wrote:
gate delay!

Looks excellent! Is that Frac or Euro? Or __?

frac powah!
Jason Brock
Finally had some time to wire up my Amplitude Follower.
It didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would.
Everything works. w00t

mmm
Cool way to apply that Jason applause

That trim pot is for the hysteresis adjustment for setting the level at which the gate will drop. So, you can set the threshhold for the level the gate will trigger and a lower level (or equal) that the gate drops out with the trim.

Typically, it's used to prevent gate chatter when the input signal is close to the gate threshhold. Once you've found a comfortable setting for your application, it rarely ever needs to be changed.

G
valis
Every time I browse this thread I'm so impressed...

Anyway, here's my panel for my Amp Follower. I'm still trying to improve my metal working an panel design skills, so keep that in mind. I found this metal at a metal recycling yard and got it cut to 4U. Sorry that the pic is a little lo-fi.

mmm
It's better than cardboard...(which I've done)

I don't see anything wrong with it.

G
Adam-V
Looks good to me valis. The fact the panel is recycled makes it all the better.

Cheers,
Adam-V
valis
Thanks guys! My first modular project was cardboard as well. So yes, this is an improvement. 8_)
frozenkore
This is the LF1 Dual LFO. I just got the faceplate in the mail. I still have to make the bracket, mount the PCB, and put the panel graphics on. I'll post another when it's all done. Sorry for the crap pic -- I took it with my phone and that is the lighting in my dining room...

Jason Brock
Valis - I think it looks great!

Frozenkore - Can't wait to see the finished thing, looking good so far. I'm especially interested in seeing how you mount the board.

My mounting board piece didn't work out exactly as I planned. The power connector cable sticks out too far, past the left edge of the module. It works fine once it is in the case as long as it sits next to a more shallow module. The Mattson board makes it 3.5" deep (89mm) so it's easy to find a more shallow module to sit next to it and allow room for the cable to stick out.

Anyway, I removed the FPD file of the mounting plate, just so people don't order it and get an unpleasant surprise when they put it together. The front panel is still on the Yahoo group though.

I now think the best way to get Mattson in Eurorack is to mount the boards parallel to the face plate using the .75" standoffs. I'm pretty sure you can get the boards to barely fit behind a 14hp panel. 16hp would allow for some wiggling room. But the best part about this is you could stack two boards on top of one another for a dual module. The two boards stacked still wouldn't be as deep as a single perpendicular-mounted board.
frozenkore
Thanks, I'm excited to see the final outcome.

Jason Brock wrote:
My mounting board piece didn't work out exactly as I planned. The power connector cable sticks out too far, past the left edge of the module. It works fine once it is in the case as long as it sits next to a more shallow module. The Mattson board makes it 3.5" deep (89mm) so it's easy to find a more shallow module to sit next to it and allow room for the cable to stick out.

I also have a 4hp faceplate for the EG1 (the LFO is 6hp), that module is awaiting the same treatment as this one (bracket, panel art, and mounting). I thought I was all set until I tried the cable and realized that it would stick out twice the width of the panel (like you're mentioning). So what I did was buy some of these.

Now there are a couple catches. This will reverse the pin order so what I did was push the pins out of the connector and reversed them (you could just re-crimp the other end and not have the red pin out). But this will let you have your power cable go parallel to the board.

The other thing to consider is that now you will be a bit deeper, but since the PCB is small enough, you could turn it 90 degress and have the connector point down so long as the PCB is higher on the panel (or the opposite). I think I'm going to have mine pointing down. I'll take pictures however it turns out.
fluxmonkey
dual VC LFO in frac format:

The CV pots has a push/pull switch--pull, and you normal the triangle output of the other LFO to the CV in... pull them both and you get crossmodulation = Some Wacky Shit. added LEDs, too.
D/A A/D
Nice work Bbob!
mmm
fluxmonkey wrote:
dual VC LFO in frac format:

The CV pots has a push/pull switch--pull, and you normal the triangle output of the other LFO to the CV in... pull them both and you get crossmodulation = Some Wacky Shit. added LEDs, too.

Real wacky. I made a demo of my VCF using the VC LFO cross patched for a guy that inquired about it.

The universe didn't collapse, either smile

http://soundcloud.com/mmmodsynth/alegoric-vcf-res-mmm

Nice job Bbob smile
pugix
Mattson VCF in standard MOTM format.

Here is my post about it:

http://pugix.com/synth/mattson-vcf/

I'll be doing some patches with it and maybe post some recordings.
BananaPlug
Reviving this thread because I think the MMM PCBs are a real gift to DIYers looking for a shortcut. Thanks George.

My take on the QuAD/ASR in frac format.

I added a few features, changed a few caps and used a mod George described for use with bipolar pulse waves. If I drive it with a +/-5V pulse wave I can choose to trigger off the rising or falling edge or both. It's between a triple and a quad since I've somewhat combined channels C&D. Of the four channels, A & B have longer times and B has a pull switch pot that makes it loop. Channels C&D are mixed by an analog OR and you can crank C up to a full 10V. The combo makes a decent spikey ADSR for LPGs. The OR uses 3/4 of a quad opamp and the comparator for the B channel's looping feature is the other quarter.

A lot of panel parts for that space but its actually quite finger-friendly.
mmm
BananaPlug wrote:
Reviving this thread because I think the MMM PCBs are a real gift to DIYers looking for a shortcut. Thanks George.

My take on the QuAD/ASR in frac format.

I added a few features, changed a few caps and used a mod George described for use with bipolar pulse waves. If I drive it with a +/-5V pulse wave I can choose to trigger off the rising or falling edge or both. It's between a triple and a quad since I've somewhat combined channels C&D. Of the four channels, A & B have longer times and B has a pull switch pot that makes it loop. Channels C&D are mixed by an analog OR and you can crank C up to a full 10V. The combo makes a decent spikey ADSR for LPGs. The OR uses 3/4 of a quad opamp and the comparator for the B channel's looping feature is the other quarter.

A lot of panel parts for that space but its actually quite finger-friendly.

Love seeing people get creative with these things. Good Job applause

I'm thinking of another sale. Suggestions?
frozenkore
Finally! Finished wiring the damned thing. So I learned something, I need a little more room for the pots... Is it okay if the pots body touches the rail? If not, I might have to order another panel slightly modified to give myself an extra mm on the top, oh and cry. Other than that, I was able to cram everything in here. The wiring sticks out a little but I can always wire tie it down to the board, but I don't think it's that bad.

One other thing. I replaced the connector with a new one that goes 90 degrees so I can put the power straight down. Now I made my bracket a little too off. I wanted to attach it to the top pot, but it ran into the rail. So I had to move it down. Otherwise, the cable would extend lower than the module. Also, since it's a conversion cable, you can't just bend it anywhere.

@Jason Brock Sorry it took so long to get this up, but you can see it works just fine. You can put it down or out the back. I went down to conserve depth.

Anyhow, here its the LF1, finished. Please someone let me know if the top of the pot's body touching the rail is okay... I could file it down too...

mmm
If it's just the body of the pot touching the rail, you should be fine.

If it's the terminals...then, you could have issues.

I'm still concerned about that red wire on the 4P-E being at the V+ in the top pic. Unless you changed the connector on the other side.

G
frozenkore
Yea, the ribbon cable is correct. That first picture, I accidentally broke the tab of the connector oops. If you look, you'll see that I plugged the cable in backwards and the tab is pointing straight into the air. I realized that quickly and flipped it, but after I took the picture. The second photo shows the tab down as I have it in the correct orientation. Yes, now terminals are touching, merely the top round surface of the pot. I almost had terminals touching on the bottom but I was able to bend them up enough to clear. Very very tight, but it fits (well, again, with the top pot's body touching the rail).
ubiquiphilia
scozbor wrote:
gate delay!
hasty drilling let me down on the LED's seriously, i just don't get it

beautiful stuff
ubiquiphilia
Luka wrote:

great. Like the knob choice/arrangement.
bleeds_on_keys
Adam-V wrote:
Finger grease AND big knobs -a winning combination!

I think you need to head over to the MU forum... hihi hihi hihi
elmerfudd
Octal VCA. Dual 4X1 mixers. 4X2 mixer. Balanced +6dbm output. Tried to emulate George's super compact wiring style, took 20hrs of bench work to wire the panel. I have a whole new appreciation of the MM layout, you are a sick man Mr. Mattson, and thank you. Unit is based on 2 quad VCA cards and 2 Melcor style output cards driving Triad HS 56 transformers. It is designed and anodized to match my Wiard 300 synth and interface with a 311C controller. It can do pan and chase, ping pong and other spatial tricks. Only problem is I should have built 2 of them, it was such a PITA to layout and wire I don't want to build another one......
elmerfudd
mmm
elmerfudd wrote:
Octal VCA. Dual 4X1 mixers. 4X2 mixer. Balanced +6dbm output. Tried to emulate George's super compact wiring style, took 20hrs of bench work to wire the panel. I have a whole new appreciation of the MM layout, you are a sick man Mr. Mattson, and thank you. Unit is based on 2 quad VCA cards and 2 Melcor style output cards driving Triad HS 56 transformers. It is designed and anodized to match my Wiard 300 synth and interface with a 311C controller. It can do pan and chase, ping pong and other spatial tricks. Only problem is I should have built 2 of them, it was such a PITA to layout and wire I don't want to build another one......

That's pretty intense!
Mattson Mini Modular
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Mattson Mini Modular  
Page 1 of 4