Microgranny V2.0

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:27 pm

DeanG wrote:I am trying to sequence my MG per the tutorial posted above, but mine will not switch between samples using the 6 lower octave midi notes. Any ideas?
Then you're not low enough. On the BSP you might have to transpose the sequence down after programming it on the lowest possible octave. This will
move the sequence even further down the octaves.
You can also find and contact me here:
tuesdaynightmachines@gmail.com
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:19 pm

@flx Bastl replied pretty much the same. Thanks ..however I verified that I am down in the c-2 range discissed in the tutorial, also checked that other devices are receiving. Not sure what to do from here..probably forget about automating the sample changes. I a midi ignoramus so it is probably me . :hmm:
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:57 am

DeanG wrote:@flx Bastl replied pretty much the same. Thanks ..however I verified that I am down in the c-2 range discissed in the tutorial, also checked that other devices are receiving. Not sure what to do from here..probably forget about automating the sample changes. I a midi ignoramus so it is probably me . :hmm:
But are you using the Beatstep Pro? It does seem like user error indeed.

1. go to Sequencer 1 (for example)
2. hold the Sequencer 1 button down and press the OCT- pad several times until it's transposed down completely
3. now turn the step knobs to the left all the way, to program the notes of the lowest possible octave

This should do it.
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

DeanG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by DeanG » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:40 am

No unfortunately it is not the pro but the regular beatstep. I also sent the notes from my QY70..same thing.
I am my own source of uncertainty.

https://soundcloud.com/eanranros

blungo2
wiggly wiggler

Post by blungo2 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:29 pm

Yikes. I know this is the wrong spot, but i just uploaded a new track that has a lot of microgranny on it. On the other hand, I'm so proud of myself for being able to follow directions enough to imbed my track! :banana:

http://soundcloud.com/user-239731580

PewPew
Learning to Wiggle

Post by PewPew » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:09 pm

Hey, it's Luke from Bastl.

We just made a video where you can learn how to disassembly MG
Just click on da link

You can learn how to replace your knobs or how you can get to the chip.

Best
Bastl crew

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:45 am

I'm currently working on an Axoloti-based MIDI sequencer and audio effect box for the MicroGranny 2. It'll power the MG2 via the trinity side connections and also send its MIDI data through there. I can then send the audio from the MG2 into the sequencer via a normal patch cable and process it via LPF, Delay and Reverb, which can be sequenced as well. Still working on the software, but the current prototype is already a lot of fun.

I've got some clips on my Instagram: http://instagram.com/tuesdaynightmachines

E.g.:

Edit: oh, and it has an analog clock input too :)
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

SPIKE the Percussionist
Veteran Wiggler

Post by SPIKE the Percussionist » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:34 pm

flx wrote: I've got some clips on my Instagram: http://instagram.com/tuesdaynightmachines

E.g.:

FRACKEN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!
++

more noiz!

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Constructs of Ritual Evolution
DOGGEBI
Fiddle Witch and the Demons of Doom
morgue city
Unified Space

Paraphonique
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Paraphonique » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:05 am

Felix,

Are there any plans to sell this on the market ? An expansion box for the MG is a fantastic idea.

Also, is the filter "multi-mode" ? I think both high-pass and bandpass options would be super helpful when mixing the MG with other sources. It is the only thing I find missing in the MG.

Anyway, good work !
-Nicolas
///////////////////////////////////////////
http://soundcloud.com/paraphonique

Latest vid : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRJJKHdZopM

windspirit
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by windspirit » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:46 pm

Really cool sounds for the micro granny in those vids flx

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:10 pm

Paraphonique wrote:Are there any plans to sell this on the market ? An expansion box for the MG is a fantastic idea.

Also, is the filter "multi-mode" ? I think both high-pass and bandpass options would be super helpful when mixing the MG with other sources. It is the only thing I find missing in the MG.
Thank you! I'm thinking about bringing it to the market for sure. A multi mode filter wouldn't be a problem (it's just software after all) but I might need another hardware switch/button on the device then. I'm still working on the software patch though and I'll put the multi mode filter on the wish list.
windspirit wrote:Really cool sounds for the micro granny in those vids flx
Thanks!
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

neinneinneinsharona
Learning to Wiggle

Post by neinneinneinsharona » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:18 pm

can anyone recommend a cable for the microgranny's input (to a laptop) and output? (to a mixing desk). also power adapters, what is everyone here using?

blungo2
wiggly wiggler

Post by blungo2 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:34 pm

flx wrote:I'm currently working on an Axoloti-based MIDI sequencer and audio effect box for the MicroGranny 2. It'll power the MG2 via the trinity side connections and also send its MIDI data through there. I can then send the audio from the MG2 into the sequencer via a normal patch cable and process it via LPF, Delay and Reverb, which can be sequenced as well. Still working on the software, but the current prototype is already a lot of fun.

I've got some clips on my Instagram: http://instagram.com/tuesdaynightmachines

E.g.:

Very interesting!

Accent
Common Wiggler

Post by Accent » Wed May 17, 2017 4:03 pm

flx wrote:
6. Put the battery back into the MG and switch it on again. During the start-up procedure, there should be a little dot in the lower right corner of the LCD indicating that you're on v2.5 now:
I just received my Microgranny, which is supposed to have the 2.5 firmware, but the sticker on the box says 2.4. However, when I turn it on I do have the same dot on the lower right corner of the LCD as is shown in the photo above. Does this indicate that 2.5 is indeed installed, or is there another way to check which firmware is installed?

Thanks for any help you can provide! :tu:

StrongWrong
Common Wiggler

Post by StrongWrong » Fri May 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Got a microGranny about a month ago from Perfect Circuit...
Came in a sealed box that said 2.4 on the outside... called Perfect Circuit
to make sure there wasn't a mistake as I thought I was buying a 2.5
They confirmed that Bastl was shipping 2.5's in 2.4 boxes :hmm:

As far as any other way to tell the version...
I don't think there is one... other than the dot in the display on power up and when saving a preset
Maybe you can tell by the samples 'cause Bastl says 2.5's have new ones
flx might know... he seems to have a handle on the MG
Wonder if there's a dot anywhere on a 2.4's display ?

On a side note I have been doing some experiments to reduce the noise when recording thru the input jack...will post when I get more repeatable results
The mG is a great box :tu:
Last edited by StrongWrong on Wed May 31, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Synth - All the Time
I gotta NoizJones
https://soundcloud.com/strongwrong-1

Beewo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Beewo » Tue May 30, 2017 9:00 pm

So has anyone done any hacks to the microgranny? I would love to change the crush option to a simple low pass filter or some other basic effect as I just tend to not use crush at all. Alternatively what have you guys been using crush for? :hmm:

mihata
Common Wiggler

Post by mihata » Wed May 31, 2017 1:31 am

Beewo wrote:So has anyone done any hacks to the microgranny? I would love to change the crush option to a simple low pass filter or some other basic effect as I just tend to not use crush at all. Alternatively what have you guys been using crush for? :hmm:
No hacks out there, at least to my knowledge - the crush I've used on some long release pad sound, which i sequence externally as a gated sequence. I then crank the crush to the max and run the granny through a low-pass filter (monotron) the result is a complex mid-range sound with a lot of harmonics. Let us know if you come across a way to replace the crush, pretty useless IMO as well.

StrongWrong
Common Wiggler

Post by StrongWrong » Wed May 31, 2017 11:19 am

I 've found these steps to work for reducing noise when sampling thru the microGranny input... Bare in mind the mG IS a noisy beast so you won't get pristine samples from the input
I use the mG in the effects loop of my mixer to grab loops & noises
Use the "return" or a "channel" for getting the mG audio out

1) Turn the input & output knobs on the mG to minimum
The input will not turn off (input is very hot...probably to accommodate the internal mic / low output instruments ie. guitars)
Use the mixer effects "send" to get the vol up into the mG
Experiment...gain staging is very important

2) Turn down the mixer channel / return vol to avoid feedback

3) Turn on the mG "hold" button to pass the audio to be sampled (with the mixer channel / return vol up you'll notice a phase cancellation that thins out the sound a lot...but also seems to cancel some of the mG input background noise)
If you leave mixer / mG vol up when sampling, the phase cancellation will be sampled...you may or may not want this
If you turn down the channel / return vol you will sample without the phase cancellation

4) SAMPLE...then turn up mG output & mixer vol to listen

These steps do not eliminate the motorboat input noise ...but seem to help reduce it

The mG output knob does not have much effect from off to 2:00 most of the gain is from 2:00 to 5:00...unfortunately gain & noise
I keep mine set to about 12:00 (less gain also less niose) and make up vol at the mixer
These steps seem to work in my setup...YMMV

I luv the mG :party:
All Synth - All the Time
I gotta NoizJones

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:43 pm

While my Axoloti-sequencer project is on hold at the moment, I did build an iPad MIDI controller layout for the MG2 with MIDI Designer Pro 2 just now:

http://mididesigner.com/qa/6164/bastl-i ... controller

Overview videos:
1/2:

2/2:

:party:
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

bimbom
Common Wiggler

Post by bimbom » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:29 pm

ive spent the last hour trying to get a sample on this thing.
22k , 16 bit , wav , mono , upper case ... sequential number...
trying to use audacity on mac.
pulling the mem card out each time with a pair of tweezers is getting annoying.

the file loads as expected in audacity and displays correct values , although the ones on the card that do load on the MG appear as stereo in audacity.

annoying. i'm hoping that by posting on the internet it'll work the next time i try it without changing anything.
gear : elektron stuff , nord stuff , roland stuff and little cheap boxes.
www.instagram.com/re5etuk
www.soundcloud.com/re5etuk

flx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by flx » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:02 am

bimbom wrote:ive spent the last hour trying to get a sample on this thing.
Have you tried it like this?
viewtopic.php?p=2327141#2327141
YouTube
nightmachines.tv

estebandito
Learning to Wiggle

messing with sound in monitor mode

Post by estebandito » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:28 am

mihata wrote:I figured today that I can use my MG as a bit reduction / distortion effect unit by pushing record and allowing the monitoring of the incoming audio but without actually recording it. Planning to put a monotron after the MG for some extra control with the filter. Anyone using it like that?
Hi, this might come a little late, but it's not possible to do this. Pressing 'record' (and 'hold' for monitoring) shuts down all other functions on the Microgranny. I have been toying with my new MG for about a week now, and there is still stuff I have not figured out, but live modifying of incoming sounds definitely is impossible.

estebandito
Learning to Wiggle

MIDI novice wants to know

Post by estebandito » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:42 am

Hi Wigglers,

I am a new member but have been lurking for a while. Haven't been able to find an answer going through previous discussions so hope someone out there is able to help.

I recently bought a Microgranny and I love it, but I am curious to find out about some stuff that I can't figure out by going through the manual. Perhaps that's because some things are just so obvious only a noob like myself would not understand, but here goes:

Is the Microgranny what is referred to as "Omni-on Mono" i.e. "The slave will respond to all channels transmitting but will play only one note at a time."

or is it "Omni-off Mono" i.e. "The slave will respond to only the channel it is set to receive on and will only play one note at a time." (This seems to be the case as far as I can work out)

I have been trying to sequence the MG from a Yamaha QY-10, which I have managed to do to a degree.

When I select button 1 on the MG for MIDI, it will respond to whatever is on track 1 on the QY10.

However the QY10 sends 8 tracks and I am only able to select 1 of them on the MG (by pressing down one of the big buttons whilst powering up the device).

Is it possible to activate more than one MIDI channel simultaneously on the Microgranny, so I could have the six different big buttons on the MG respond in different ways?

Like I said, I am totally new to MIDI and I hope my question makes sense, many thanks!

StrongWrong
Common Wiggler

Post by StrongWrong » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:32 pm

estebandito...
No you cannot play more than one midi channel on the mG at the same time.
I guess you could call this omni off mono mode..."omni on" means a synth will respond on all channels, "omni off" means it will respond to only one channel (of your choosing).
Of course mono means one note at a time. The mG is a mono synth.

But you can select one of the 6 sounds in a preset by hitting one of the lowest notes... C-2=pad1, C#-2=pad2, D-2=pad3, etc.
Embed one of those notes in your seq to select that sound ...then the notes in the 2nd octave (C0) above the C-2 octave will play that sound chromatically.
The -2 oct note will not sound it will only select the chosen sample.

Of course there is still only one seq because its only receiving on one channel...so the same notes but up to 6 different samples playing those same notes.
Hope this helps...you'll have to experiment !!

I should mention flx's excellent tutorial on sequencing the mG...more details and examples.
It's a coupla pages up in this post...but here's the link anyway...
Last edited by StrongWrong on Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All Synth - All the Time
I gotta NoizJones

StrongWrong
Common Wiggler

Post by StrongWrong » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:07 am

Just thought I'd add to the mG knowledge base...

Cables:
INPUT- should be MONO to MONO cable.
The mG has a tip/ring/sleeve(gnd) input jack, but the ring is tied to the sleeve, don't use stereo cables or stereo cables with stereo>mono adapters. You don't want the one side of the stereo image shunted to ground. mG does not like this !

OUTPUT- should be STEREO to Left/Right Breakout cable.
The mG is a mono synth but outputs the same signal on tip and ring.
I 'd call this "Dual Mono".

If you want only mono out use either left or right from the breakout cable...leave the other unconnected (floating), doesn't seem to matter left or right

Into 2 channels of a mixer you can hard pan each channel to get "kinda stereo"...puttin'stereo efx on one channel works great.

Into a stereo input channel... the pan works as a balance between tip and ring... same sound left or right turn, again some efx are always cool
Be careful when sampling and using the record/ hold (audio passthru) buttons. The mG outputs the passthru audio on the ring, if both outs are connected to a channel you can get phase cancellation depending on where the mG out volume and the mixer channel vols are.
Best to experiment and see what works with your gear.

I've gained this info by spending way to much time recording the same sample over and over again... changing different cables, changing the input and output gain stages of the mG, changing in and out channel volumes on the mixer during sampling and playback...this is my cross to bear... and then again I could be all wrong :zombie:
Last edited by StrongWrong on Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
All Synth - All the Time
I gotta NoizJones

Return to “General Gear”