Front Panel Proof Reading Thread

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Isaiah
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Isaiah » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:13 am

BlackCrowSounds
Oakley Croglin?

BlackCrowSounds
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BlackCrowSounds » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:21 am

Well done! It is! I think i'll edit it to credit Oakley on the front panel. Any improvementys I could make?
Twitter: twitter.com/blackcrowsounds
Instagram: instagram.com/blackcrowsounds/

duff
Veteran Wiggler

Post by duff » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:15 pm

BlackCrowSounds wrote: Image
Welcome! I was also going to guess Croglin, but I see I have been beaten to it.

I think the panel looks a little imbalanced as it is - the switch, jacks and knobs all appear unrelated because they don't sit on a common grid. Could you move duality alongside offset and then expand the switch to be a 'square' next to the cutoff knob to give a nice even layout. The jacks could then either sit more centrally across the bottom or join the grid above it in half spacing.

That's the view of someone with a bit of OCD about these sorts of things anyway.

BlackCrowSounds
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BlackCrowSounds » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:01 am

Looks much better now. Also I moved the text to above the knobs for consistency. Sadly I am somewhat limited for jack and potentiometer placementr by the pcbs I have been provided with. Not sure what to do with the blank space between the resonance control and the inverted response audio output.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

emdot_ambient
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by emdot_ambient » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:40 am

BlackCrowSounds wrote:Looks much better now. Also I moved the text to above the knobs for consistency. Sadly I am somewhat limited for jack and potentiometer placementr by the pcbs I have been provided with.
Hmm...unfortunate that they've tied your hands like that.

Looks like they're doing some mods to the filter as well. Croglin VCFs only use one resonance pot in the standard configuration.

BlackCrowSounds
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BlackCrowSounds » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:34 am

Yep, figured instead of using one dual gang pot for resonance control I would use two single gang ones, It might add some interesting sonic posibilities. Same with adding a series mode. That might allow overdriving and will allow for some pretty steep filtering along with a whole bundle of other things. There is also one op-amp unused from standard so I am using that as a difference amplifier for the input and output of the filter. Which will allow a variety of notch cut filters to be produced, among other things.

EATyourGUITAR
has no life

Post by EATyourGUITAR » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:56 pm

I can't do bold text in eagle so it is what it is. I might add some light pipes later around the sequential switch to show what jacks are currently linked.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

loudspeaker
Learning to Wiggle

Post by loudspeaker » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:35 pm

:sb:

TonnieWiegman
Learning to Wiggle

Quad TH 555 LFO and VCO panel

Post by TonnieWiegman » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:23 am

This is my design for a panel with 4 Thomas Henry 555 based LFO controllers and 4 Thomas Henry 555 VCO's. Added a matrix mixer between the LFO's and VCO's. Please let me know what you think about it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sandrine
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Sandrine » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:23 am

Getting the LFO jacks on the left aligned with the rest would be bonus, makes it look cluttered/interrupted to me

floris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by floris » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:45 am

used mostly a 2cm by 2,3cm grid as I think R*S euroserge does too.
(anyone measured this?)

even/odd is the serge wave multiplier, the vca submodule goes to another frontplate

this is 1/4th of my suitcase
the rest houses 2 mfos vco's, 2 cgs 73 vcf's, 2 dugs's, res eq, 2 cgs vca's, 6 step programmer, send/returns, attenuators

all help and ideas welcome!

Starspawn
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Starspawn » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:58 pm

I would make all the corner bend amounts uniform.
The ring for instance has a smaller amount of corner rounding than the S&H and others.
Also the odd section is the only one without a border.
Also for odd and even you reverse the method from the other sections where the pot gets the VC mark under it and the line is enough to understand the connection.

Looks fun :)

floris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by floris » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:41 pm

thanks!
changed it a bit and it looks better.

had to call 12 copyshops to find the right transparent sticky envelopes.

I'm halfway into drilling at the moment, going from a 3mm hole to a 7mm hole for the jacks, and a lot of aluminum is staying around the bottom of the jack. A hassle to cut it off every time.
Maybe it's because I'm drilling very slow?

Really looking forward to integrating this final change to my suitcase!
Must hurry a bit for next weeks concert.
http://www.kaskcinema.be/kaskcinema/voo ... sual_music

Sanathana
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sanathana » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:47 am

Namaste!! :) Hi! :) Greetings!!! :)

Im new here in the forums. Thought id say Hi and share something im currently working on.
Im working on building this! All modules are PCB based so its going to take a while till its ready / completed but this is the initial plan of the design / panel work for it.

I chose to go with the wooden front panel option for myself and im using an IKEA book shelf as the enclosure!

Most modules will probably not be mounted directly on the panel but may have flying wires to respective components on the panel which gives me the scope to personalize the layout.

I will be using this as a studio (stand alone) synth mainly for Sound Processing, Ambient Sound Design, Experimental Sound-Art and perhaps to create poly rhythms.

Im a newbie in this field of DIY Modular Synth building and its a learning process for me as I go along! :) _/\_

Regards,

Swaroop Guhathakurta / Sanathana / Sanhata

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:10 am

Welcome Sanathana.

Pers. I’d make the distance between banana and text legend the same (on TEXTURE & EFFECTS for instance) or on the RESONATOR writing „TYPE OF PERC“ instead of „TYPE OF PERCUSSIVE“ to be able to lift up the text (FLOW, TYPE OF PERC, SOUND SHAPER, BRIGHTNESS)and reajust the distacne between the pots. Maybe…
I’d pers. also in the LOGIC SEQUENCER have all OUTS below the bananas like in the rest of your design, not on top, but looking at this system layout and reading you’re a newbie in DIY Modular Synth, I can already say that you gonna learn a lot then and also that you're in the right place on muffwiggler.

Really cool and unconventional system. Congrats.

Nice :tu: :tu: :tu:
FS: New Orgone Accumulator MK2 for BugBrand/FRAC
-----------------------------------
www.batchas.com

Sanathana
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sanathana » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:16 am

batchas wrote:Welcome Sanathana.

Pers. I’d make the distance between banana and text legend the same (on TEXTURE & EFFECTS for instance) or on the RESONATOR writing „TYPE OF PERC“ instead of „TYPE OF PERCUSSIVE“ to be able to lift up the text (FLOW, TYPE OF PERC, SOUND SHAPER, BRIGHTNESS)and reajust the distacne between the pots. Maybe…
I’d pers. also in the LOGIC SEQUENCER have all OUTS below the bananas like in the rest of your design, not on top, but looking at this system layout and reading you’re a newbie in DIY Modular Synth, I can already say that you gonna learn a lot then and also that you're in the right place on muffwiggler.

Really cool and unconventional system. Congrats.

Nice :tu: :tu: :tu:

Thank you very much for those valuable suggestions :) they make perfect sense to me! :) Yes, this is a first draft to plan the layout on the wooden panel but i will definitely revise this further for the final layout and your suggestions really help! :)

I will post the final design / panel layout once its ready to go on the enclosure!! :)

Thank you for taking the time to go through it and for the feedback! _/\_ :)
Namaste!!!

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:50 am

Wow Sanathana - those are great looking panels.

-Eric

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:12 am

So... This is my first panel design. I am currently building an 8x8 drum step sequencer setup centered around the Barton Step Rhythm Sequencer, and doing all custom designed panels in 5U.

Starting off I designed a 2xBMC39 panel
-I know not everything is evenly / perfectly lined up
-all of the controls for each module are side by side in each column
-To differentiate between each module, the LEDs are a diff. color

Questions I have:
-For a 4U MOTM panel, what distance should the mounting holes by? From each other and from the edge of the panel?
-What is the hole size for the Jacks? I think I have them too small.

Thanks for the help!!

Image[/img]

I don't know why the background is showing up as all black...
-Red circles are push buttons
-Yellow/Green are LEds
-Gray - Knobs
-Blue - 1/4 inch jacks and Switches and mounting holes

Sanathana
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Sanathana » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:44 am

Eric the Red wrote:Wow Sanathana - those are great looking panels.

-Eric
Hey Eric,

:hail: :) _/\_ Thank you for the positive vibes, Im happy you like the work so far! I will do my best to keep up with updates related to this project here as often as possible! :)

batchas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by batchas » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:17 pm

@Eric the Red: sorry I cannot help with the holes diameter (using banana here + will depend anyway on the 1/4" jack model you'll choose) but I guess they need to be way bigger + I'd suggest making the text legend not too near the holes for jacks. Best is to print on paper and take a jack to see practically the distances, thinking about the outer distance too I mean (with screw and so on).
Same with the backside of the panel, checking for instance that switches can fit well behind the panel, not too near the edges etc.
To align all, you could also use a simple grid, based on the 8 vertical LEDs/Switches for instance.

You also ask about mounting holes distance for 4U MOTM, though you mentionned first a 5U panel... Is it a typo then?

Not sure btw I would not pers. go the "mirrored" way, for more clarity... I'm sorry I can only use Preview right now on my Mac, so it's far to be perfect and it's not correctly aligned either, but even if I did this as fast as possible I hope it gives an idea of what I mean with "mirrored", as all functions are double.
I still think it would need more space at the bottom and maybe a better limiting between left part and right part, or even some graphical elements, but anyway you can see the different approach.

FS: New Orgone Accumulator MK2 for BugBrand/FRAC
-----------------------------------
www.batchas.com

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:52 am

@Batchas, that mirrored design looks great!

The 5U world is kind of weird, where U refers to height and width. It is 5u high and 4u wide...

Paradigm X
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Paradigm X » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:34 am

For 5u designs, i always tend to use Tony Allgood's as a starting point - he provides a fpd file for each of his modules. - http://www.oakleysound.com/s-vco.htm

ive ordered 10-12 custom modules so far, and all have worked great (apart from the one i didnt use his as a template). His hole sizes, fonts, spacing etc work really well.

Eric the Red
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Eric the Red » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:43 pm

@Paradign X - thanks!!

sempervirent
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by sempervirent » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:58 pm

That symmetrical layout does look better, good eye batchas

av500
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by av500 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:36 pm

panel for the standalone (non-euro) Benjolin from the group buy: