MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 55, 56, 57  Next [all]
Author Announcing ALM017 - Pamela's NEW Workout
BonJoey
pumped on the muting!
BlackDoors
ALM wrote:
I've uploaded a new beta '189' firmware for folks to try. It should be pretty solid.

Thanks to all that have reported bugs and helped test fixes!

Wow - I just can't wait to try!

Not sure on the etiquette of posting links to music you have made with modules that don't make any sound...... But here is a simple sequence achieved with PNW for all the clocks and LFOs.

[s]https://soundcloud.com/blackdoors/moonlight[/s]

(I used one Octone and one pressure points with a 2hp Tune to get the root note switching working from pressure points... Sound sources (from memory) were just one Rubicon and one Dixie II+ with a couple of filters. Keeping it in the family, Beast's Chalkboard helped!)

Thanks for all the wonderful work on this module. I am looking forward to years of enjoyment from it!

John
Worwell
ALM wrote:
I've uploaded a new beta '189' firmware for folks to try. It should be pretty solid.

You can download from http://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm017/

I've also uploaded an updated manual which has had some tweaks to the firmware updating instructions as well as covering new features. Please read carefully before trying the update. Also note you can always go back to the release 177 firmware by flashing that.

Here is what is new;

- Add new output muting functionality.
- Add a new vertical offset parameter to outputs.
- Improve expander DIN & MIDI compatibility for syncing.
- Increase overall CV handling precision a little.
- Fix CV2 attenuversion handling - now actually inverts + treats midpoint as 0.
- Keep 'work' bank correctly synced across power cycles when loading/reseting entire banks.
- Fix issue where expander run signal can be left high when clock stopped.
- Fix issue where Euclidean edited outputs could not get reset correctly.
- Allow utility modifier outputs to be saved & recalled.

The downside of this update is that this update exposes a silly bug in the PEXP1 (not PEXP2!) expander module. This bug puts the external gates very slightly out of sync - though external MIDI and DIN syncing should be tighter. The fix unfortunately requires that the PEXP-1 be sent back here to ALM for updating. If this affects you please contact help <at> busycircuits.com and we will get it sorted for you asap. Apologies for any troubles here.

Thanks to all that have reported bugs and helped test fixes!

Nice update. The mutes and offset options are very useful. (On a Mac), the update procedure is not as scary as it looks in the manual and linked websites. Hang in there with it.
MATSmile
Any word on logic channel combos? sad banana
gavechase
ALM wrote:

Fantastic! Thanks for all your hard work fixing bugs and adding features.
ALM
MATSmile wrote:

How exactly would it work ? Wouldn't it be better handled by a dedicated logic module ?

The 'virtual patching' idea would maybe cover it but its gonna take a pretty monumental effort to get the to fit & work well. There are literally only bytes of program flash space left..
dooj88
having a blast with mine, nice work on this! awesome you're on top of bug patching!

i've got too many things to left to explore on it, i think i'll wait for a stable release.
MATSmile
ALM wrote:
MATSmile wrote:

How exactly would it work ? Wouldn't it be better handled by a dedicated logic module ?

The 'virtual patching' idea would maybe cover it but its gonna take a pretty monumental effort to get the to fit & work well. There are literally only bytes of program flash space left..

That's how I see it. Just like clock div/mult it can be used on any chanel and will allow you to chose two currently running channels to combine into logic output. Ex, channel 3 is running OR out of channel 1 (/4) and 2 (/1.5) [or ch. 1 (/4) and Ch. 2 which is running NOR of channels 6 and 7], cv control over PW allows for some crazy swing patterns. Maybe dedicated module is better, but I wouldn't mind saving some hp for Pamela's midi expender. It all really comes down to how hard it will be to implement it.

PS, For some reason many people shy away from logic functions thinking it's math and it's complicated but in reality it's such an amazing tool for altering rhythm and modulation.
L.C.O.
Yeah, install is pretty convoluted at the moment.
But not impossible ;-) (Just did it)

I would imagine some people might get confused with the "brew" and how to "use brew" to install the "dry-util"... etc.

Great to hear that a custom installation app/procedure is in the works.

Thank you for the firmware update!
Great product getting better!

It's peanut butter jelly time!
erstlaub
I hit a few bumps with install on my Mac as Terminal always gives me the cold sweats and for some reason I couldn't get the stuff to install as per the instructions (possibly to do with not having the absolute latest macbook and os) so here's a breakdown of how it worked for me in the hope that anyone else struggling might see hope.

1. DL the new FW file, put it on the desktop

2. Go to http://www.open-tx.org/2013/07/15/dfu-util-07-for-mac-taranis-flashing -utility and install dfu-util that way as the terminal route was giving me bunk about network connections (have had the same issue re. X-code previously)

3. Disconnect your Pam's from the power, plug in the usb cable.

4. Open Terminal and copy and paste the following (minus the quotes) - 'dfu-util -a 0 -d 0x0483:0xdf11 --dfuse-address 0x08000000 -D ~/Desktop/alm017-189.bin' - obviously change the filename accordingly. I had an issue copy and pasting from the old pdf manual as a linebreak was copied into terminal as a space which broke things but looks like the manual has been tweaked there too thumbs up

5. Hit enter and watch the code squirt into your module

6. Rejoice.

Thanks so much to ALM for helping the less clever of us through things and hats off once again on an amazing module and following things up so quickly.
rikrak
ALM wrote:
MATSmile wrote:

Wherever the parameters CV01/02 appear, could there be Outputs 01 to 08 as well? That would be enough for me.

Thanks for the update! PnW is a contender for Module of the Year, for sure.
Worwell
erstlaub wrote:
Terminal always gives me the cold sweats

Ha. Spot on.
BlackDoors
rikrak wrote:

Wherever the parameters CV01/02 appear, could there be Outputs 01 to 08 as well? That would be enough for me.

Thanks for the update! PnW is a contender for Module of the Year, for sure.

Yes on both counts!

John
rupa
rikrak wrote:

would it just be one logical operation between these channels? If it was, and it was XOR, I'd be into it. Or am I completely missing the idea?
rikrak
rupa wrote:
rikrak wrote:

would it just be one logical operation between these channels? If it was, and it was XOR, I'd be into it. Or am I completely missing the idea?

Everywhere you can currently select CV01 or CV02 as a parameter you'd be able to select an Output as that parameter instead. No logic operation involved. Minimal change to the UI but not sure how simple it would be to implement behind the scenes.
MATSmile
rikrak wrote:
rupa wrote:
rikrak wrote:

Everywhere you can currently select CV01 or CV02 as a parameter you'd be able to select an Output as that parameter instead. No logic operation involved. Minimal change to the UI but not sure how simple it would be to implement behind the scenes.

It's as simple as muting output and plugging it back into CV1/2.
rikrak
MATSmile wrote:
rikrak wrote:
rupa wrote:
rikrak wrote:

It's as simple as muting output and plugging it back into CV1/2.

I do currently route an output into CV1 to do this (not sure why you suggest to Mute it thoughl. However, I'm talking about being able to select, say, Output 2s output value as Output 4s Waveform... Output 5s output value as Output 7s Width and Output 6s Etrig value... etc etc. Currently, using both CV inputs, you can only use a maximum of two Outputs as input values. I would like to access all 8 AND the Cv inputs!
dooj88
I'm certainly not a programmer, but i had an ideas about the muting function implementation. Instead of putting in a menu option for muting each output, it would be really cool if it would be possible to mute an output by selecting the channel's top menu and double clicking the Program encoder, or holding play/stop and clicking the Program encoder. Would make performing a breeze with easy access like that
Worwell
dooj88 wrote:
I'm certainly not a programmer, but i had an ideas about the muting function implementation. Instead of putting in a menu option for muting each output, it would be really cool if it would be possible to mute an output by selecting the channel's top menu and double clicking the Program encoder, or holding play/stop and clicking the Program encoder. Would make performing a breeze with easy access like that

That's what you can do with the new firmware. Program and stop/start mutes the channel.
Abyssinianloop
I had success installing the new firmware on Windows. There are a few tricky points that aren't explicit. For those having trouble, here's what I did.

You're going to download a few things, and it's best to keep them in the same folder. So create a folder, and keep the path short and simple. I created a folder in Downloads called Pam (Downloads\Pam)

1. Download the new firmware and put it in the folder you created.

2. Download this tool called Zadig from http://zadig.akeo.ie/
It helps make the usb connection between your computer and the module.

3. Download the dfu-util files from this site:
http://dfu-util.sourceforge.net/
This site is a little confusing, and it's not totally clear which files to grab, but this is what you want-- About half way down the page is the link to the releases. We are advised to use the version 8.0 files, so scroll down and click into the "dfu-util-0.8-binaries" folder and inside that click on the "win32-mingw32" folder.
Ultimately this is where you want to be:
http://dfu-util.sourceforge.net/releases/dfu-util-0.8-binaries/win32-m ingw32/
Download the 5 files to the folder you created on your computer.

4. Disconnect Pamela's power cable. (I remove her completely from my rack)

5. Connect Pamela to your computer with a usb to mini-usb cable.

6. Run Zadig
Select: List all devices from the options menu
Select: STM 32 BOOTLOADER from the devices drop-down
Select: WinUSB
Click "Install Driver"

7. Open a terminal in Windows (you can usually find one at "All Programs\Accessories\Command Prompt")
Next you'll be entering the command to run the dfu-util program that updates Pam's firmware. You're going to need to specify the location of dfu-util as well as the new firmware file in the command--or to simplify things, (this is why I put everything in the same folder) change to that directory first.

8. In terminal type:
cd Downloads\Pam
(this should change the directory to Downloads\Pam. Your path may be a bit different, so figure out what it is and type it in. You can right click and view properties on a file in the folder to see the path.)

9. Now that you are in the \Pam folder you can type the command directly without specifying the location of the utility or the target file.
Type or (copy/paste for accuracy):
dfu-util -a 0 -d 0x0483:0xdf11 --dfuse-address 0x08000000 -D alm017-189-BETA.bin

Done!
dooj88
Worwell wrote:
dooj88 wrote:

That's what you can do with the new firmware. Program and stop/start mutes the channel.

MY ASS IS BLEEDING we're not worthy
atte
Nice update, update process went pretty smooth from my linux desktop (debian stable).
erstlaub
Ahhaaaa. Did a wee bit of rearranging yesterday and decided that it sometimes feels like a bit of a waste of New Pam's using it for boring straight clock duties (although it does it so well) that I might as well throw old Pams into the mix too.

It locks together quite nicely using one channel of Old Pams to the clock in (set to 24x) and another channel set to chuck out a high signal as active to run. The one thing that looks a little *off* is that where Old Pams is set to 66bpm, new Pam's screen is reporting it playing back at 65bpm although playing back a drum patten using triggers from both modules doesn't sound to be drifty.

I've also had both sync'd up using BSP as a master (BSP clock and run multed to both) which worked quite well although it's sometimes a bit hit and miss and takes a few stops and starts to get everything starting in the right place for some reason.

I think the closest to totally solid was patched up as per above with BSP clock and run's feeding Old Pams.
iatroim
Abyssinianloop wrote:
I had success installing the new firmware on Windows. There are a few tricky points that aren't explicit. For those having trouble, here's what I did.

You're going to download a few things, and it's best to keep them in the same folder. So create a folder, and keep the path short and simple. I created a folder in Downloads called Pam (Downloads\Pam)

1. Download the new firmware and put it in the folder you created.

2. Download this tool called Zadig from http://zadig.akeo.ie/
It helps make the usb connection between your computer and the module.

3. Download the dfu-util files from this site:
http://dfu-util.sourceforge.net/
This site is a little confusing, and it's not totally clear which files to grab, but this is what you want-- About half way down the page is the link to the releases. We are advised to use the version 8.0 files, so scroll down and click into the "dfu-util-0.8-binaries" folder and inside that click on the "win32-mingw32" folder.
Ultimately this is where you want to be:
http://dfu-util.sourceforge.net/releases/dfu-util-0.8-binaries/win32-m ingw32/
Download the 5 files to the folder you created on your computer.

4. Disconnect Pamela's power cable. (I remove her completely from my rack)

5. Connect Pamela to your computer with a usb to mini-usb cable.

6. Run Zadig
Select: List all devices from the options menu
Select: STM 32 BOOTLOADER from the devices drop-down
Select: WinUSB
Click "Install Driver"

7. Open a terminal in Windows (you can usually find one at "All Programs\Accessories\Command Prompt")
Next you'll be entering the command to run the dfu-util program that updates Pam's firmware. You're going to need to specify the location of dfu-util as well as the new firmware file in the command--or to simplify things, (this is why I put everything in the same folder) change to that directory first.

8. In terminal type:
cd Downloads\Pam
(this should change the directory to Downloads\Pam. Your path may be a bit different, so figure out what it is and type it in. You can right click and view properties on a file in the folder to see the path.)

9. Now that you are in the \Pam folder you can type the command directly without specifying the location of the utility or the target file.
Type or (copy/paste for accuracy):
dfu-util -a 0 -d 0x0483:0xdf11 --dfuse-address 0x08000000 -D alm017-189-BETA.bin

Done!

Nice write up.

Just a heads up, you can open command line straight to a directory by typing cmd into the folder path bar at the top of explorer while in said directory.

Figured this might help with steps 7/8 if people aren't comfortable navigating directories in command line.
ugokcen
Finally got my hands on Pam today hihi

The interface and the screen is great, very intuitive. This is the kind of module that will make the rest of your system immensely more capable. I spent hours patching different clocks into Rene's X an Y inputs for example. Synced lfos into the Loquelic Iteritas works wonders as well because Pam's got attenuation built in! Rockin' Banana!

Random skips and the ability to loop it is like a turing machine for your drums. Being able to rotate the euclidian patterns is super handy, lots of happy accidents!

I have only one quibble: the slop parameter is too strong even at 1%. At 10% it's like the drummer you kicked out after one practice. Maybe that could be re-calibrated?

Also, would it be possible to add a randomize levels parameter similar to the randomized skip parameter? It could 'humanize' lfos and envelopes when introduced ever so slightly.

Overall, thumbs up
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 55, 56, 57  Next [all]
Page 11 of 57