MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Introducing Cocteau, mod PCB for your YOCTO 808 clone
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Author Introducing Cocteau, mod PCB for your YOCTO 808 clone
effegee
Future-Proof your Cocteau & YOCTO V2 enclosures!

Later this year, there will be available two additional modification kits from Autonomik Circuits: Remora and Vactrol-8. Both kits will require additional holes on the back panel and/or front face and bottom of the enclosure, so Kacper will be presenting options for those who want either of these forthcoming kits. Some people were bummed that they needed a new enclosure for Cocteau. Having taken that into consideration, these kits are being announced now, so that those interested will have an enclosure ready for these mods when they are available for purchase.

Remora (formerly “Drum Module Generator” [DMG]) is an expansion module with cartridge slot that installs in an expansion port on the back of the drum machine where you can plug in separately-sold analog drum voice circuits in the form of swappable Gameboy DMG cartridges. These cartridges are surface-mount versions of popular analog drum circuits (808, 909, 606, etc.).

Remora's list of features includes:

- Gameboy cartridge slot
- Volume level pot
- 4 pots for sculpting the sound (for example, 808 BD: Tone, Decay, Tune)
- Mono 3.5 mm jack for Audio Out
- internally connects to Trig Out, Accent and Audio Mix of drum machine
- Onboard options for 909 & 606 noise circuits and digital chip noise circuits (Delptronics, Electric Druid, etc.)
- Compatible with Cocteau, YOCTO, and NAVA

Currently, there are functioning prototypes of 9 different Remora drum cartridges, with more under development. They will ship as individual, ready-to-use cartridges and possibly as DIY kits (for those comfortable with SMD soldering).

Remora, which ships with its own panel, slides into the drum machine's back panel expansion port.

Situations when another drum voice might be useful:

- You're sequencing your NAVA and want to add in an 808 Rimshot
- You're laying down some YOCTO beats and need two BDs tuned apart with different decays
- (My favorite) You've tweaked your Cocteau CP to sound like a "snap", but still need a Handclap sound, so you insert a CP-8 cartridge to have both.

*** If you are interested in purchasing Remora later, please choose Kacper's enclosure option with the expansion port. The enclosure will ship with a blanking panel over the expansion port, which can be unscrewed to install Remora.

Vactrol-8 kit

The second kit adds 8 or 16 CV inputs in the form of vactrol circuits. These vactrol circuits are similar those found in various commercially available drum modules, where a CV signal received is output as a variable resistance, adding CV control over pots and resistors of the user’s choice. The Vactrol-8 kit puts modular CV control into a tabletop drum machine format, i.e., Cocteau, YOCTO, or NAVA.

There are three parts to the kit:
1) Two Vactrol PCBs that mount on the floor the enclosure, 8 vactrol circuits per PCB.
2) CV Input jacks (3.5 mm, mono) on the back panel, connected to the Vactrol PCB
3) Front face Switch PCB with SPDT slide switches that connect or bypass the individual vactrol circuits. This Switch PCB connects to the Vactrol PCB via a shielded 16-conductor ribbon cable.

Selected pots (chosen by the user) are wired in series with individual vactrol circuits on the Vactrol PCB. In the case of Cocteau, the wires that connect the Cocteau PCB to the YOCTO main PCB need only passed through the Vactrol PCB via MTA connectors (i.e., no additional number of wires needed).

Changes needed in the enclosure for Vactrol-8:

- 12 holes on the bottom of the enclosure to mount two Vactrol PCBs (6 holes per PCB)
- 32 holes on the bottom to access the trimmers on the Vactrol PCBs (the trimmers that set the offset and scale) (16 holes per PCB)
- 16 holes on the back panel for the CV Input jacks
- 16 holes on the front face of the enclosure for the slide switches (plus 7 mounting holes)

*** If you are interested in purchasing a Vactrol-8 kit later, please choose Kacper's enclosure option with the extra CV holes.

--Additional back panel holes--

There are additional back panel holes for:

- RS/CL-2 & MA-2 Audio Out (Cocteau only)
- Trig 3 Out (Cocteau only)
- Accent Out
- White Noise (WN) IN (input audio signal that replaces WN)
- HT & CH individual Audio Out (YOCTO V2 only)
- extra holes for jacks for user-defined mods
Paradigm X
eek! i just signed up hope im not too late!

cheers
effegee
Paradigm X wrote:
eek! i just signed up hope im not too late!

cheers

You're on the list smile
goldplate
Insane !

Where will be the pots for the Remora ?
effegee
goldplate wrote:
Insane !

Where will be the pots for the Remora ?

On the back panel next to the cartridge slot.

The Remora panel on the left (see below) fits over the back panel expansion port.

Rxke
Hmmmm... I ordered the case from Kacper, but didn't see the remora or vactrol options... Going to try to reah him, but i know from last experience that's not always easy... hmmm.....
Paradigm X
effegee wrote:
You're on the list smile

awesome, many thanks, saw your email will paypal at lunchtime!

Rxke wrote:
Hmmmm... I ordered the case from Kacper, but didn't see the remora or vactrol options... Going to try to reah him, but i know from last experience that's not always easy... hmmm.....

yeah likewise. i didnt get a confirmation from either signup form either, assumed id get an email to say 'youve pre-ordered xxx...'

hopefully we'll get an option to add the other, er, options at a later date.

cheers
effegee
Paradigm X wrote:

Rxke wrote:

yeah likewise. i didnt get a confirmation from either signup form either, assumed id get an email to say 'youve pre-ordered xxx...'

hopefully we'll get an option to add the other, er, options at a later date.

cheers

Sorry for the confusion. Kacper has not presented enclosure options yet. The intent of my post was to proved an explanation, so that when options are presented at a later date, people will understand what those options are. Everyone will have a chance to choose.
Rxke
Aha, great news!

Thanks for the info.
Paradigm X
Awesome. Thanks for the clarification. I got a request for money from Kacper and wasnt sure whether to hang on a little bit.

Another quick couple of questions please;

Do the two trigger outs used for the ca/rs also work as external trigger outs or do you lose this functionality?

Do the two new voices (and the demora) also get added to the internal mixer?

Many thanks.

Ben
effegee
Paradigm X wrote:
Do the two trigger outs used for the ca/rs also work as external trigger outs or do you lose this functionality?

Do the two new voices (and the demora) also get added to the internal mixer?

Trig 1 and Trig 2 of YOCTO run through the Trig 1 and Trig 2 jacks on the back panel and then to RS/CL-2 and MA-2. The jacks are switched, so that when nothing is plugged in, RS/CL-2 and MA-2 are triggered; when a cable is plugged into the jack, it breaks the connection to RS/CL-2 or MA-2 and diverts it through the cable to your external module.

Yes, the new voices + Demora are added to the internal mixer.
Paradigm X
Hey thanks for that.

I paid for the enclosure and got an email from kacper asking which version i wanted so have ordered the one with the extra expansion holes.

cheers
Ben
Emalot
Sorry everybody to post this here, but i'm searching a programmed Atnega for my Yocto 1.
Please, if somebody have one to sell PM me.
Thank you very much
Julien
heapish
If I can find a buyer for my Erica Yocto Case I maybe willing to part with my unbuilt v1 kit. Not bought the mouser cart yet.
drox
[quote="effegee"]
Later this year, there will be available two additional modification kits from Autonomik Circuits: Remora and Vactrol-8. Both kits will require additional holes on the back panel and/or front face and bottom of the enclosure, so Kacper will be presenting options for those who want either of these forthcoming kits. Some people were bummed that they needed a new enclosure for Cocteau. Having taken that into consideration, these kits are being announced now, so that those interested will have an enclosure ready for these mods when they are available for purchase.

Remora (formerly “Drum Module Generator” [DMG]) is an expansion module with cartridge slot that installs in an expansion port on the back of the drum machine where you can plug in separately-sold analog drum voice circuits in the form of swappable Gameboy DMG cartridges. These cartridges are surface-mount versions of popular analog drum circuits (808, 909, 606, etc.).

Remora's list of features includes:

- Gameboy cartridge slot
- Volume level pot
- 4 pots for sculpting the sound (for example, 808 BD: Tone, Decay, Tune)
- Mono 3.5 mm jack for Audio Out
- internally connects to Trig Out, Accent and Audio Mix of drum machine
- Onboard options for 909 & 606 noise circuits and digital chip noise circuits (Delptronics, Electric Druid, etc.)
- Compatible with Cocteau, YOCTO, and NAVA
/quote]

I wanted to ask is the Remora mod possible without the Cocteau mods installed? I most likely will want all of them (why not) but thought it's worth asking
effegee
drox wrote:
I wanted to ask is the Remora mod possible without the Cocteau mods installed? I most likely will want all of them (why not) but thought it's worth asking

Yes, Remora will be compatible with YOCTO 1 & 2 and NAVA (Cocteau not required), the only limiting factor being that it will require an enclosure with an expansion port.
drox
effegee wrote:
drox wrote:

Yes, Remora will be compatible with YOCTO 1 & 2 and NAVA (Cocteau not required), the only limiting factor being that it will require an enclosure with an expansion port.

awesome thanks for your reply
supervalued
effegee
Hello, I wanted to ask if it's still possible to jump in the preorder of the Cocteau mod for Yocto v.1.0? I saw this mod only today... and I want it bad. Thanks, Valery
effegee
supervalued wrote:
effegee
Hello, I wanted to ask if it's still possible to jump in the preorder of the Cocteau mod for Yocto v.1.0? I saw this mod only today... and I want it bad. Thanks, Valery

There are still a few extra kits available for preorder. Place your order here (Google form): http://bit.ly/2ocVlOq
MrRoper
Hi effegee

Ive just started building my yocto v1 kit whilst I wait for the Cocteau and enclosure. Would you be able to send me a Cocteau installation guide in advance so I can prepare my yocto for it before its fully populated?

Thanks!
effegee
MrRoper wrote:
Would you be able to send me a Cocteau installation guide in advance so I can prepare my yocto for it before its fully populated?

The build docs have not been compiled yet, but for starters, here's the "Desolder Map" which shows which components not to solder in if you don't want to have to desolder them later.
https://flic.kr/p/USv4Xh

In addition to the components on the map, do NOT solder in:
- Trig1 and Trig2 jacks
- R8 on the I/O PCB

I should add here that for Remora there are a number of electrolytic caps that need to be soldered in horizontally, to create more room for installation. The photo below illustrates the two different ways that the electro caps can be mounted horizontally.

Here is the map of the electro caps that must be horizontal to create room for the Remora expansion: https://flic.kr/p/UxGXPd
MrRoper
Thanks for updating the post! Just finished on the bass drum today so I've still got a way to go but the de solder map is really handy.

Just one question with the caps that needed to be folded over to fit the Remora mod, how much clearance is there? Would I be able to use a low profile capacitor like this?

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium-capacitors/7060535/

It 5mm high so should be about the same as a cap on its side right? I think the diameters' about 6mm right?
effegee
MrRoper, a capacitor of those dimensions would work as well. Anything 6mm tall or less should work.
rasi
Wicked idea! Just disappointed I didn't hear about it till now... EDIT: Got a kit Mr. Green

You can put me down for the vactrol expansion board too
yan6
any news on this yet
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next [all]
Page 4 of 8