MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

pamela's new workout + pexp-1 vs yarns
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author pamela's new workout + pexp-1 vs yarns
bisquick
Was bound to happen at some point. screaming goo yo
[this thread] covers some, but not all, of this.

I couldn't find any threads specifically comparing the feature set of these two. I've been really impressed with yarns ever since it came out, and now that it's matured a bit, I suppose I'm trying to eval which of these to purchase for my system.

Please share your experiences w/r/t usability!

Thank you,
b
iatroim
The PEXP-1/2 expanders for PNW are only for MIDI clock out so you're comparing apples to oranges...
bisquick
Not really apples to oranges, IMHO. Maybe w/r/t MIDI support, but that's a bit irrelevant compared to the host of other feature sets.

EDIT: ok, I suppose they're a lot different in the sense that they solve different problems. Both can be used as a master clock source for the modular, which is what I was originally interested in.
ugokcen
It is a weird comparison, one is a midi module, the other is a clock source. Sure, there are some overlapping functions but maybe it'll be easier if you tell us what is it you want to do with them.

I have Pam's, I bought it mainly as a clock divider. LFOs are a nice extra. Works perfectly, gives me 8 outputs in 8 hp, can't really ask for more. Not sure whether Yarns would work in that role.
bisquick
OK, looks like I'm not making sense today.
As far as I know, they both do clock division and both do MIDI sync output, which seems similar enough to me, but maybe I'll just shut up and go back to getting actual work done. d'oh!
Note in the thread title that I'm specifically comparing Pam's with the MIDI expander, rather than alone.

Regardless, sorry for the noise.
soundslikejoe
I agree that the comparison is a bit apples and oranges... both fruit of course, both can be juiced... but you don't cook with them in quite the same way.

Personally... I have both Yarns and Pam's New WO... and I'm considering buying the P-exp because they work so well together!

Yarns is a great pitch sequencer... but not a great gate sequencer. It also sucks that Yarns never had a clock input... BUT!... you could easily add the P-exp and now Yarns can more easily sync to modular clock.

PLUS... Yarns is great for MIDI Input... using keyboard or the Octatrack or similar... it's a great way to sequence four voices in the system. There is ONE of the major differences that makes this comparison off... Pam does nothing like this.

Likewise... I LOVE the waveform and probability features in Pam. Great for gate sequences.

So.. both! thumbs up
ugokcen
Yes they both do midi sync output but most people buy Yarns for the midi input. Almost all of it functions relate to midi-to-cv conversion. If you just want midi clock out it seems like overkill in my opinion.
bisquick
basically, I have a PM Midi 3 and I'm looking for all of the (above) functionality.
I personally don't find Pam's to be that great at gate sequencing either, because although you can input your own user waveforms and it has euclidean mode (which Yarns also has), you can't really program the thing per track as far as I know. Or is that now a possibility?
User waveforms are more appropriate for waves, rather than sequences...

I'm not looking for an all in one module, but both seemed to do so many similar things, including CV output, gate output, etc. I do like that both offer BPM setting as a master clock, and although you can't drive Yarns with a clock signal, it seems like it can easily be a master clock that can either sync to your DAW or be standalone, which pam's only does 1/2 of.
guestt
+1 to them being very different, but...

External MIDI > Yarns clock/reset out > PNW == WIN This is fun!
bisquick
+1 for them being very different.
+100 for the help that everyone's offered so far. SlayerBadger!
bisquick
can anyone (maybe someone who owns both) comment on the stability of the clock output (via 1/8" jacks) of either of these?
Outtatune
bisquick wrote:
can anyone (maybe someone who owns both) comment on the stability of the clock output (via 1/8" jacks) of either of these?

I drive my Pam's with the clock out of Yarns and it is rock solid. Pam's replaced a Doepfer Clock Divider and Clock Multiplier in the same HP, solved a MIDI reset issue I was having, and added some great new functionality as well. With Yarns in 4M mode (Clock on) I get two MIDI CV/Gate channels and two MIDI CV channels.

FWIW the MIDI Out/Thru of Yarns drives an Erica MIDI-Trigg... so I have a bunch of MIDI-driven triggers as well.

An Octatrack is my master clock/sequencer/mixer.
bisquick
thank you.
soundslikejoe
bisquick wrote:
I personally don't find Pam's to be that great at gate sequencing either, because although you can input your own user waveforms and it has euclidean mode (which Yarns also has), you can't really program the thing per track as far as I know. Or is that now a possibility?
User waveforms are more appropriate for waves, rather than sequences...

Using Euclidean rhythms is a form of sequencing... so it can be programmed, and each channel can be different... so it is "programming per track"

The waveforms are best for me as clockable LFOs which can be used for all manner of things... clocked modulations, clocked envelops, etc.
oinkbanana
The only way I've gotten a clock tight with my DAW is silent way clock bounced to audio track > New Pam. the midi clock coming out of the Yarns would drift over ~100 seconds (off by a few ms) before correcting itself.

Note: the thru port on the yarns isn't direct, it lags.

if you don't hear these timing issues, don't worry about it.
bisquick
@oinkbanana - great to know. thanks for the info!
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1