Seeking the Perfect CV Keyboard

Anything modular synth related that is not format specific.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

SubliminalSandwich
Ultra Wiggler

Post by SubliminalSandwich » Sat May 09, 2015 7:57 pm

Akai max has known issues with clock sync.. which is pitiful considering it has a built in step sequencer.. cv keyboard and sequencer for the price seems well worth it..

Lineofcontrol
Common Wiggler

Post by Lineofcontrol » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:34 pm

How about an Arturia microbrute?
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/364929

try and imagine a blind man dreaming...Bret Easton Ellis.

Sold:
Analogue Solutions Cv2midi
Cylonix CycleBox II
Doepfer VCDLFO
Intellijel Metropolis
Intellijel uStep v2
Kilpatrick K4815 pattern generator
Kilpatrick KMidi
Koma SVF 201
Lightstrip LS1
Mutable instruments Grids
Mutable instruments Shelves
Mutable instruments Warps
Make Noise Function
Malekko VCO2
Synthrotek Dirt
WMD/SSF Mini Slew

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:37 pm

Since this has been resurrected...why not keystep? Coming to you a year after?

Lineofcontrol
Common Wiggler

Post by Lineofcontrol » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:56 am

Ooops- didn't even realize this was an old thread...

Well hope these options can help someone else.

The good thing with having something like an SH101 or a Microbrute is that you have a keyboard that can generate sound as well as control.
Whereas a straight controller is just that.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/364929

try and imagine a blind man dreaming...Bret Easton Ellis.

Sold:
Analogue Solutions Cv2midi
Cylonix CycleBox II
Doepfer VCDLFO
Intellijel Metropolis
Intellijel uStep v2
Kilpatrick K4815 pattern generator
Kilpatrick KMidi
Koma SVF 201
Lightstrip LS1
Mutable instruments Grids
Mutable instruments Shelves
Mutable instruments Warps
Make Noise Function
Malekko VCO2
Synthrotek Dirt
WMD/SSF Mini Slew

pescatore
Common Wiggler

Post by pescatore » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:12 am

Thinking about a new set of keys for the same purpose myself, so resurrection of this thread is well-timed. Can the keyboard in the Minibrute or Microbrute be disconnected from the sound source? In other words, if I patch the CV/Gate outs into my eurorack, will the keys continue to trigger the onboard synth voice?

The Keystep looks great, but I've never been a fan of those mini keys...

Randy
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Randy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:16 am

I use a Roland A-49 and MIDI2CV interface and a Verbos Touchplate keyboard.

Randy

Coetillion
Common Wiggler

Post by Coetillion » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:07 am

pescatore wrote:Thinking about a new set of keys for the same purpose myself, so resurrection of this thread is well-timed. Can the keyboard in the Minibrute or Microbrute be disconnected from the sound source? In other words, if I patch the CV/Gate outs into my eurorack, will the keys continue to trigger the onboard synth voice?
From memory, I don't believe so. But you can just turn down the onboard osc mixers
Last edited by Coetillion on Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Slabwax
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Slabwax » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:28 am

pescatore wrote:Thinking about a new set of keys for the same purpose myself, so resurrection of this thread is well-timed. Can the keyboard in the Minibrute or Microbrute be disconnected from the sound source? In other words, if I patch the CV/Gate outs into my eurorack, will the keys continue to trigger the onboard synth voice?

The Keystep looks great, but I've never been a fan of those mini keys...

keep the volume all the way down or just don't plug it in.

pescatore
Common Wiggler

Post by pescatore » Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:31 am

Slabwax wrote: keep the volume all the way down or just don't plug it in.
Sure, but ideally you could use them separately. I was hoping that plugging in cv/gate ins might sever connection between keys and synth, but sounds like that's not possible.

hippo1
Common Wiggler

Post by hippo1 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:52 pm

I gotta throw in my vote for the Akai Max49. I don't care about all the pads and levers... I can control all my toys (mod, boomstar, minibrute via CV; phatty, VST/AUs via MIDI) just running a mult/splitter box. Plus, I love the stiffness of the keys. Velo, aftertouch, wheels; perfect for me.

peteone
Wiggling with Experience

Post by peteone » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:44 pm

new Arturia Key Step

defutura
Wiggling with Experience

Post by defutura » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:20 pm

Since this thread has been resurrected a second time, I thought I might as well chime in with my two cents.
beyourdog wrote:I would recommend the Analogue Systems demon, 5 CV out, gate and trigger, wonderfully built and a pleasure to play... :yay: joystick is usefull and i tend to prefer it now to the modulation wheels [...]
Wonderful wood and great keyboard to play...Not Not sure there is a better built modern CV Keyboard these days...No sensor or aftertouch though...
Couldn't agree more, the Analogue Systems Demon is a wonderful controller. Though I have the newer version with the mod wheels instead of the joystick.
NV wrote:Between the DotCom and the ASys Demon, I personally found it to be an extremely easy decision.
Admittedly, it isn't cheap, but the build quality and feel is really great. And it's a beauty.
Zeno wrote:Does anybody know if the Analogue Systems Demon can control 4 OSCs with independent trigger/gate and CV?
Independent, like in polyphony? No. It does come with multed outputs, so you have 5 CV outputs, 2 gate outputs and 2 trigger outputs, but they all output the same info from the same keypress. It is inherently monophonic.

pescatore
Common Wiggler

Post by pescatore » Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:58 pm

defutura wrote:
beyourdog wrote:I would recommend the Analogue Systems demon, 5 CV out, gate and trigger, wonderfully built and a pleasure to play... :yay: joystick is usefull and i tend to prefer it now to the modulation wheels [...]
Wonderful wood and great keyboard to play...Not Not sure there is a better built modern CV Keyboard these days...No sensor or aftertouch though...
Couldn't agree more, the Analogue Systems Demon is a wonderful controller. Though I have the newer version with the mod wheels instead of the joystick.
That does look pretty great, though probably out of my price range. Also, where does one buy one of these in the US? The only dealer listed on their site is Big City Music, but they don't seem to have the Demon.

Rezin
Learning to Wiggle

Unconventional and pricey, but...

Post by Rezin » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:32 pm

Hope this can be of use, it's a bit of a odd device (all things considered), but the Roli Rise has some interesting functionality as a MIDI controller. It's a keyboard-like instrument with continuous "keywaves" (corporate marketing term) that looks intriguing. As far as integrating it into a modular setup, I've been told you can use the expert sleepers FH-1 to send CV. I hope to get one some time soon. It's got MIDI over Bluetooth if you're fancy.

roli website

Expert Sleepers FH-1

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:21 pm

TL;DR... what CV/Gate keyboard out there has a velocity output jack? or one with a CV output that can be configured to output velocity?
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

machetemirage
Wiggling with Experience

Post by machetemirage » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:52 am

DJMaytag wrote:TL;DR... what CV/Gate keyboard out there has a velocity output jack? or one with a CV output that can be configured to output velocity?
Arturia Keystep

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:21 pm

Sold!! I didn't see that the mod output could be configured to be a velocity output.
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

TheDegenerateElite
Veteran Wiggler

Post by TheDegenerateElite » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:55 am

Synthrotek MST MID to Cv has a mod output that supports velocity.

The Roland a 49 board transmits midi velocity.

Plus the do lots of other stuff, while having full size keys and octave shifting from 0-127

kencle
1-Post Wiggler

Post by kencle » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:58 pm

Greetings, this is my First entry on Muffwiggler.
I have been a recording engineer and pseudo-musician, sound enthusiast for 40+ years. This older revived post is appropriate, as I am also trying to sort out my keyboard preferences now: what I need, what I don't for modular.

April 2016, I got back into keyboards and my studio, after my dad passed away; we were very close, my best friend. I was contemplating breaking down my studio forever, threw up my hands and started selling off equip I had for decades. I was re-inspired when I started watching youtube videos and doing searches of all the new stuff that was now available. Felt like I had been in a 'music coma' for 20 years, sick and tired of the same old same old 'computer-daw MIDI recording' and controllers.

After trips back and forth to Guitar center, I bought 5 keyboards to demo, right off the bat not even sure what I was gonna do with them; then in July, almost overnight, discovered Modular 'Euro-crack', which has now changed my life and focus. I compiled a variety of modules since, which I am trying out, and eventually will sell what I won't use in my music.

Getting back to keyboards: not sure what will be best to keep and useful for both modular/computer (Logic Pro X, Ableton). I have: Akai MPK49 mk 2 (really nice, versatile, but no sound, lots of extra knobs I probably really don't need); Korg Minilogue, 2 Korg SQ-1; Arturia Microbrute, Minilab, Beatstep Pro; (unfortunately sold my minimoog back in the mid 1990's, needed the cash).

jwise
Wiggling with Experience

Post by jwise » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:57 pm

It's been nearly a year since this thread was dusted off....any new thoughts on a GREAT keyboard to interface with a modular rig?

ghostly606
Common Wiggler

Post by ghostly606 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:10 am

I use both a Microbrute and a Mininova using my 0-Coast as MIDI-CV translator but have been looking at the QuNexus or Keystep. Both look like great options to me.

sduck
experimental use of gravity

Post by sduck » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:44 am

Still waiting on the McMillen K-board Pro - it looks like it has potential, but remains to be seen if it lives up to its promise. I've already paid for one, so should get one of the first batch - hope I don't end up with first batch problems.
flickr cloud of sound touyube NOT A MODERATOR ANYMORE

goom
Ultra Wiggler

Post by goom » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:32 pm

I've used an SH101 and Microbrute to control my modular. The ability to use the sequencer is a VERY nice option to have, but I miss not having use of a pitch bend and mod wheel when I have a solo/lead/etc. sound patched up.

I didn't see these mentioned before, but these really have my interest because of the wild variety of left hand controllers available as options:

https://www.synthesizers.com/controllerbundles.html

Also, I read that Moog will be releasing a new limited-run Sub37 with CV and Gate outputs. For me, the Sub37 was the most enticing "new" Moog to buy, and now, they made it even better.

TheSolenoids
Wiggling with Experience

Post by TheSolenoids » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:22 pm

A new Moog subsequent37 just arrived here. Keyboard Pitch, aftertouch, mod wheel, velocity are assignable to the 4 cv outs along and two gate outs. Also can assign sequencer clock or an LFO to a gate out. Lots of options for cv out assign from LFOs, etc. Now to hook it up! I'm planning to create an AJH/Moog hybrid system!
Critics talk about art. Artists talk about brushes.
The Solenoids new album, Tangled States is at: https://thesolenoids.hearnow.com/tangled-states

boramx
lepidopteran orgasm

Post by boramx » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:28 pm

the Qunexus has 25 keys, is small, has midi and good CV options. it IS USB but you could use an iphone power supply or whatever - runs great w/out computer.

good deal, good quality.

Return to “Modular Synth General Discussion”