MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Radio Music "Telharfauxnium" Alt-Firmware
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Radio Music "Telharfauxnium" Alt-Firmware
coolshirtdotjpg
Hi Folks,

I am pleased to announce the release of a new additive synthesis firmware for the Radio Music Module. It is a very simple piece of code I created from some of the example patches Tom provided. In my version, you have voltage control of the relationship between 16 sine waves, allow you to produce interesting timbres in real time, with additional 1V/octave control of the fundamental. It is easier to get a sense of what I mean, by listening to the demos I recorded for soundcloud.

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/318001507" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/318009050" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/318152656" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_use r=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Tom was kind enough to let me upload the firmware to the Radio Music Git Hub, so it is currently available here along with some of the other widely available alternate firmware.

A few disclaimers.

1. The process remains roughly the same as any other alternate firmware for the Radio Music. This process has been well documented by Tom, so I won't go into that here. I haven't generated a hex file yet, so you will have to use teensyduino to load the firmware for now.

2. I take no responsibility/liability for anything that happens in the process of you loading this onto your radio music. That being said, this is something created in the teensyduino programming language, and has been running on my module for several months without issue. I am happy to offer support as best as I can, and update the firmware as time allows.

3. I am a musician, not a programmer/dsp whiz, so the code is not gorgeous, but it works, and so far has been extremely reliable.

4. I have tested this out with a few folks' modules, but haven't had any widespread tests. If there are any issues, I will do my best to debug them. Your feedback will extremely helpful in this regard.

5. Feel free to use this as the jumping off point for your own project. I have a few things I want to implement, and I'm happy to incorporate the work of other wigglers.

Major thanks to Tom for allowing me to include this funky bit of code alongside his excellent work. While I hope folks go a little easy on me as this really is an amateur labor of love, I really do want to make sure I have something solid that works, and I am happy to keep developing this.

Thank you all!
soot
Sounds great!

P.S. Robocop is awesome
dooj88
i'm a complete and total ignoramus when it comes to programming, so i'm always really impressed by these types of efforts and the euro community in general.

the more i'm around it, the more i'm inclined to learn coding.
hermbot
High marks for a clever name.
coolshirtdotjpg
soot wrote:
Sounds great!

P.S. Robocop is awesome

Thanks on both accounts! I had totally forgotten that our old album cover is still my standard Soundcloud photo. Cheers. Guinness ftw!
coolshirtdotjpg
dooj88 wrote:
i'm a complete and total ignoramus when it comes to programming, so i'm always really impressed by these types of efforts and the euro community in general.

the most i'm around it the more i'm inclined to learn coding.

Yeah absolutely, the funny thing is that I was fairly deep into Max programming for close to a decade before I got to own my first bit of modular gear. The radio music is a great platform to learn on, because of how excellent the documentation is.
coolshirtdotjpg
hermbot wrote:

Thanks! I figured it was better than "Ryan's addictive synth 1.128"
windspirit
My gf's first reaction was "this sounds just like cyriak" which is high praise around here. Excited to try this one out smile.
coolshirtdotjpg
windspirit wrote:
My gf's first reaction was "this sounds just like cyriak" which is high praise around here. Excited to try this one out smile.

Surprisingly, that isn't the first time I've heard that. I definitely take it as a compliment!
microfauna
hermbot wrote:

Absolutely top marks for the name.

What are the parameters for the control of the 16 harmonics?
coolshirtdotjpg
microfauna wrote:
hermbot wrote:

Absolutely top marks for the name.

What are the parameters for the control of the 16 harmonics?

You control the ratio by which they are multiplied, these are recursively embedded, so that the first harmonic is center frequency * (x) the next is center frequency * (x * x), etcetera. 8 harmonics are generated that way, the subharmonics are generated the same way, but using division instead. So one input is 1V per octave which controls the center frequencies, and the other input I scaled to taste which controls the ratios.
polyot
Does this use the SD card at all? Just curious if I can leave my Radio Music files/folder structure in tact or if I should backup and clear it off? Or, if I even need it inserted at all.
coolshirtdotjpg
polyot wrote:
Does this use the SD card at all? Just curious if I can leave my Radio Music files/folder structure in tact or if I should backup and clear it off? Or, if I even need it inserted at all.

No need for the SD card. Nothing in my code addresses the card, so it shouldn't be effected, but you can pull it out, before loading the firmware on, to be safe, if you want.
polyot
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
polyot wrote:

No need for the SD card. Nothing in my code addresses the card, so it shouldn't be effected, but you can pull it out, before loading the firmware on, to be safe, if you want.

I thought not, based on looking at the code, but I'm no expert. Thanks for doing this, looking forward to playing around with it. Rockin' Banana!
coolshirtdotjpg
polyot wrote:
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
polyot wrote:

I thought not, based on looking at the code, but I'm no expert. Thanks for doing this, looking forward to playing around with it. Rockin' Banana!

No problem! If you end up creating something you like, please share! I'd love to see what people do with this.
Baddcr
Very nice!!

Thanks for doing this - RM seems to be going from strength to strength these days, such a great platform!
SuperNiCd
The demos sound great! I have a RM on the way so I'll be looking forward to trying this out! cool
coolshirtdotjpg
SuperNiCd wrote:
The demos sound great! I have a RM on the way so I'll be looking forward to trying this out! cool

Nice! If you end up recording something you like, please post it! A fellow wiggler decided to jump on and help me improve the code, so I'm hoping to add more features soon. It would be great if this firmware took on a life of it's own like the chord organ did. Anyway, I'm very excited to see what the community does with this.
coolshirtdotjpg
Curious to see how people are getting along with this. Any issues? Recordings? Let me know, I'm working on improving/updating the firmware.
Chopper
Can't seem to find the .hex on github, although the .ino is there...
coolshirtdotjpg
Chopper wrote:
Can't seem to find the .hex on github, although the .ino is there...

Should be there now, thanks!

https://github.com/TomWhitwell/RadioMusic/tree/master/Collateral/alt.f irmware
Chopper
Thanks a lot!!!
coolshirtdotjpg
Chopper wrote:
Thanks a lot!!!

No problem, let me know how it works for you.
1nput0utput
I came across the Telharfauxnium firmware yesterday but didn't find any documentation, so I wrote a little description based on what I read in this thread and a quick look at the code:

https://github.com/TomWhitwell/RadioMusic/wiki/Alternative-firmware-fo r-Radio-Music

One thing I noticed is that sine 16 seems to be silenced, so the Telharmonium voice has only fifteen sines, not sixteen. Is that intentional?
Leverkusen
I was about to try the alternative firmwares out for the first time but cannot load this.

The Teensy loader says "unreadable" when I try to upload the telharfauxnium, works good with chord orange though. Sinesfun does not work either.

Has anyone experienced this too and/or an idea for an solution?
coolshirtdotjpg
1nput0utput wrote:
I came across the Telharfauxnium firmware yesterday but didn't find any documentation, so I wrote a little description based on what I read in this thread and a quick look at the code:

https://github.com/TomWhitwell/RadioMusic/wiki/Alternative-firmware-fo r-Radio-Music

One thing I noticed is that sine 16 seems to be silenced, so the Telharmonium voice has only fifteen sines, not sixteen. Is that intentional?

First, sorry for the late reply, I have been dealing with some unexpected family matters during the last few months. Anyway, to get back to your comment:

Wow, that's great! Thank you for doing that. And yes, you're absolutely right, initially I had the 16th sine wave an octave below of the fundamental initially and then decided against it. I forgot about that when writing the description. I will clean that up in a later revision.

Current users of the firmware, is there anything you would want out a new version? The code is currently a bit clunky, so I'm going to try and clean that up. I would like to use the push button switch to select base waveforms (sawtooth, sine and square), and experiment with the CV range a bit more. With those I think it could be a bit less of a "one trick pony", but let me know if there are things you think could be improved upon or developed in the next revision.
coolshirtdotjpg
Leverkusen wrote:
I was about to try the alternative firmwares out for the first time but cannot load this.

The Teensy loader says "unreadable" when I try to upload the telharfauxnium, works good with chord orange though. Sinesfun does not work either.

Hmm, I'm not sure what's going on there. You may want to check the radio music threads in the DIY forum for that. I do remember having issues earlier on when uploading alternate firmware, but that was several years ago so I'm not sure.
Leverkusen
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Leverkusen wrote:

Hmm, I'm not sure what's going on there. You may want to check the radio music threads in the DIY forum for that. I do remember having issues earlier on when uploading alternate firmware, but that was several years ago so I'm not sure.

Seems that my Mac does something to the files. I had similiar problems downloading monome firmware when it was not packed in a ZIP file. The original Radio Music FW comes in a ZIP file and works. Using firefox does not help either... seriously, i just don't get it
NS4W
Interesting that there is hardly any noise compared to using the SD-card and samples wich is noisy as hell (at least in my system)
Jefro
NS4W wrote:
Interesting that there is hardly any noise compared to using the SD-card and samples wich is noisy as hell (at least in my system)

I had this issue at first too. Different SD cards fixed it for me.
coolshirtdotjpg
Hey folks, another programmer has been hard at work, rewriting my sloppy code, improving 1V/O tracking, adding alternate waveforms, etc. No release date yet, but here's a preview of what that will sound like!

mqmq
Wow !!! Can't wait to try this !!!
batchas
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Hey folks, another programmer has been hard at work, rewriting my sloppy code, improving 1V/O tracking, adding alternate waveforms, etc. No release date yet, but here's a preview of what that will sound like!

It looks like a very good idea to add different waveforms thumbs up
ym2612
For some reason this didn't really register for me before, but now I'm really excited to try it on my RM. I'm really getting into spectral methods of synthesis/composition, and this is right up that alley. Also, it doesn't seem quite as biased toward western/melodic chords as Telharmonic is, which is also good for me.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 2