Paper Circuit PCBs?

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Paper Circuit PCBs?

Post by southphillysynths » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:15 pm

I just built a Grassic Organ on paper and it doesn't work, I figured it wouldn't because my free hand skills aren't great.

I love the sound of this circuit though thanks to smog filter on youtube for showcasing almost all of the paper circuits! (video below)

Anyway I would love to build multiple grassic organs and eventually the Rollz-5 (does anyone know if I can still get a meng qi board??) and Would be great to have actual PCBs to have a better shot at them working.

Has anyone made PCBs? Or knows where to purchase them? Maybe a limited run of them would be in order...

[video][/video]
Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

Doublecoolbossman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Doublecoolbossman » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:54 am

I messaged meng qi a while ago through etsy, he said he was working on a new rollz 5 pcb. I've seen one pop up on eBay for $100, which was $50 more than I wanted to spend.

I built several rolls, an ultrasound, and most of a gong. The rollz were very easy, but I found soldering to the chips on the other circs extremely annoying.

I too am interested in any paper circ pcbs.

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:01 am

Doublecoolbossman wrote:I messaged meng qi a while ago through etsy, he said he was working on a new rollz 5 pcb. I've seen one pop up on eBay for $100, which was $50 more than I wanted to spend.

I built several rolls, an ultrasound, and most of a gong. The rollz were very easy, but I found soldering to the chips on the other circs extremely annoying.

I too am interested in any paper circ pcbs.
I just Messaged Meng qi through etsy as well.

"Hi, Rollz-5 pcb is in production right now and Grassi is in stock. So both would appear in the shop soon!"

so sweet!! :goo: :goo: :goo:

EDIT: on further inspection the grassi pcb is most likely the 'Old Mr. Grassi' paper circuit, not the grassic organ I was looking for...
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

chrisdermo
Ultra Wiggler

Post by chrisdermo » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:53 am

Paper circuit PCBs go for sale on the 'Ciat Lonbarde Addicts' facebook group too. Gerassic organ, Esoterica Spikering, Old Mr Grassi etc

Doublecoolbossman
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Doublecoolbossman » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:13 am

News like this makes me regret my Facebook abstinence

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:13 am

chrisdermo wrote:Paper circuit PCBs go for sale on the 'Ciat Lonbarde Addicts' facebook group too. Gerassic organ, Esoterica Spikering, Old Mr Grassi etc

I'm not on facebook, but I will surely log onto a friends account to check it out :hihi:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

mike page
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mike page » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:53 pm

totallywired
Learning to Wiggle

3 interesting methods

Post by totallywired » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:49 am

Silent instructions using heat transferred laserjet image, hydrogen peroxide and muriatic acid:

Acetone / alcohol laserjet transfer with ferric-chloric acid sponge etch:

This no-etch method rubs a silver paste directly into a laser printout:

521DSF
1-Post Wiggler

Re: Paper Circuit PCBs?

Post by 521DSF » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:32 am

southphillysynths wrote: Has anyone made PCBs? Or knows where to purchase them? Maybe a limited run of them would be in order...
I was shocked for your design, I did not weld on paper or connected to the circuit.
http://www.pcbmasters.com/
This site has pcb manufacturers in all regions, but I have not used it.
After a friend recommended I used the wellpcb, is a pcb prototype and assembly of the manufacturers. I ordered a small batch of pcb board, the price in a reasonable range, the quality is fine, I weld by myself, did not use the assembly service.

muncky
Ultra Wiggler

Post by muncky » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:57 am

I built a Lil Sidnrecently, using a PCB from Dennis (Bomono on Instagram m). Works likes a dream.

More PCBs here:

doomed_wizard
Learning to Wiggle

Post by doomed_wizard » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:43 pm

I've been having problems with building a lil sidrassi myself. I etched some PCBs using the paper circuits for a toner transfer but I used a different FET and op amp and i think thats my problem. I also used banana jacks instead of brass pegs. I get sound from some of the outputs but its not was I was expecting. Apprehensive about ordering the right parts from mouser because I ordered from them last week and they're still not here even though I only live an hour away....

Austin01
1-Post Wiggler

Post by Austin01 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:37 am

For PCB prototype manufacturing and assembly, you can try OurPCB

mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mudlogger » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:20 am

Has anyone made PCBs? Or knows where to purchase them? Maybe a limited run of them would be in order...
Yes I have - I wanted to start doing the paper circuits, but not on paper, as its looks a bit too fiddly. I much prefer a PCB and something more reliable. So i got some paper circuits PCB’s made, as an experiment, and just to see if it was possible to do and for my own personal use/interest. I chose ones that weren’t currently available. I made Rollz 3,4,5,6, Avdogs, Gongues, Deerhorns, 5 star, ultrasound. All the Conrad papers. Dogvoice, Swoop, Rando, Preamp, Swoop spokes, Esoterica Chainlock, 5 Star and Phosphate of Aluminium Crystal Simulation. anti rando, antiswoop, antipreamp, Deerhorn Berlin, Deerhorn Moon, Deerhorn Prov.

Heres how :
Paper circuits can be found here http://ciat-lonbarde.net/paper/ and here http://www.ciat-lonbarde.net/TIMARACURR ... index.html

Paper Circuits master legend here : https://llllllll.co/t/mobenthey-ciat-lo ... ?u=mlogger

How to make Ciat Lonbarde paper circuits PCB's.

These PCB are double layer with solder pads on the top and bottom :

download Peter B's PCBs:
http://www.ciat-lonbarde.net/TIMARACURR ... papers.zip
You will need to rename these files to .osm files for it to read.
Download this software https://www.osmondpcb.com/download.html
Open any of the .osm files that you have in that program.
After opening you need to export to Gerber file.
File - Export - Gerber Files
Press OK.
You get a message that says "Not all paths connected" just ignore and Press OK again.
Goto the folder were it's exported (it will be in the same directory as your .osm files
and in a folder for example "GerberFiles_conrad_preamp"
Inside it are lots of little Gerber docs.
Using a file manager (not Osmond) - duplicate layer 1, and mask 1 and rename them layer 2, mask 2 and add the proper extensions as per photo attached. Change all extensions of other files as per photo.
Zip that folder up.
That zip is what you send to the pcb manufacturer.
I use www.JLCPCB.com
But you can use any.
Theres a review site at pcbshopper.com to choose which manufacturer you want to use.

If you know how to use Osmond I would also recommend you add mounting holes in the corners. Rollz6 also has an error - the 1uf non hairy capacitor is pictured the wrong way round.

Last edited by mudlogger on Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:32 am, edited 3 times in total.

rmro
Common Wiggler

Post by rmro » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:42 am

These look great. I'd love to have some Rollz pcbs to experiment with. If you had any extra I'd be happy to send some $?

odditymedium
Veteran Wiggler

Post by odditymedium » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:26 pm

me too

ClausF
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ClausF » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:37 pm

Interested in the Conrad & 5Star PCBs

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:21 pm

Yeah those look great! I would be interested in a few of them, like some of the rolls or the dogvoice and deerhorn.

Would be cool to do a group buy!
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

mudlogger
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mudlogger » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:40 pm

Guys, I live in fairly remote area of Thailand 1 hours drive to the nearest post office and made enough for myself and a couple of friends. I really provided the info so that you could make yourself as I don't want to make a business from this.

The prices of doing this was ridiculously cheap and would be cheaper to go direct than me reposting from Thailand. Maybe guys in the States do a group order? Guys in Europe do a group order? Also you can add stuff I didn't order like Lil Sidrassi's and Gerassics etc. there's loads of stuff in that papers.zip file that I'm not familiar with.

Usually there's a minimum order of 5 PCB’s.

To give you and idea of prices.........

Small pcbs say 4x4cm like the Rollz @$2 for 10 pieces. Avdog / Ultrasounds / Gongues were $5 for 10 pieces. Bigger pcb say 10x10cm like 5 star and Dogvoice were @$22 for 10 pieces. The Deerhorns are big 40cm long and were $21 for 5. Shipping @$30 from China. My order took 7 days from when I ordered to when I received (in Thailand). And I paid import duty of @15%. So look at 1/3rd of you price for shipping.

Seriously, it was easy to do. Just follow the instructions I made.
Hints - A new customer order gets there first item heavily discounted, so choose the biggest pcb (Swoop Spokes or 5 Star / Deerhorn) for your first item. Also choose the most expensive shipping as that is also heavily discounted on your first order as a new customer.

It's coming up to Chinese New Year. Do not order anything from China until after :)

All the other stuff I ordered was fine. The actual pcb quality seems really good and for the price, you can't go wrong. Everything came back shrink-wrapped/bubble wrapped with order / batch numbers on etc so it traceable / traceable if there are issue. There's a quality control ticket per item that you fill in and upload photos if issues.
Last edited by mudlogger on Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ClausF
Wiggling with Experience

Post by ClausF » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:44 am

Thanks anyway for the info! :guinness:

odditymedium
Veteran Wiggler

Post by odditymedium » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:22 am

any euro builders, lets pool in shall we

sceledra
Common Wiggler

Post by sceledra » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:58 pm

I'm in for PCBs!
I'm the operator with myPCB populated.

arneborgan
Common Wiggler

Post by arneborgan » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:21 am

Thank you for the advice on the PCB ordering! Now where is the boom list :)

odeland
Learning to Wiggle

Post by odeland » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:19 am

odditymedium
Yes! i would be up for that

since i dont own a mac. to make them myself.... :)

Modulus
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Modulus » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:29 pm

odditymedium wrote:any euro builders, lets pool in shall we
I’d be down to throw in on a pcb group buy. I’d really like dog voice and anti swoop but would be willing to chip in on others too if that’s what you guys decide.

nrrrd
Common Wiggler

Post by nrrrd » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:47 pm

Has anyone made any of the paper circuits using a conductive ink pen, like the Bare Conductive pens / paint?

I was wondering whether this might be an easier way to build them, rather than stick copper tape together, and possibly do it on 3mm ply and then drill holes to mount the components - using the paint again.

A good idea, or foolish? :)

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”