MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Braids Renaissance (robot text to speech & more)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Braids Renaissance (robot text to speech & more)
th0mas
Hello,

Braids Renaissance is a new alternate firmware for Braids that adds the following new algorithms:
- Software Automated Mouth, also known as SAM. The classic robotic text-to-speech engine originally written for the Commodore 64.

- 6xsaw, 6xsquare, 6xtriangle, 6xsine. 6 oscillators starting at the 1v/oct input, spaced evenly across the currently selected quantize scale. Color controls the number of scale steps between oscillators, and Timbre scans through various amplitude settings for the 6 oscillators. When the Braids quantizer is turned off, the oscillators are evenly spaced by semitones (controlled by Color)

Demos

Here is a demo of SAM algorithm

Here is a demo of the 6x waveform algorithms

http://soundcloud.com/burnsmodular/braids-renaissance-6x-algorithms

You can download it, and learn more, at https://burns.ca/eurorack.html.

The SAM algorithm functions similarly to a granular sampler. Color selects 1 of 16 words, and Timbre "scans" grains from the start to the end of the word. By modulating Timbre and pitch separately you can play the words at various speeds independent of pitch.

If you send Braids a trigger it will play through the loaded phrase, starting at the Timbre position. It will play at the "natural rate", which slows down as pitch drops similar to a tape slowing down.

SAM does not sound particularly great once you go ~1 octave away from centre, but he does track 1v/oct. Otherwise he makes a great chaotic noise/glitch source.

No existing features of Braids 1.9 have been removed (well, ok, I removed the text editor.. sorry).

Custom word lists coming soon.
windspirit
Great job, excited to load this up later grin
coolshirtdotjpg
Very cool! Is it possible to alter the firmware to add your own words?
th0mas
coolshirtdotjpg wrote:
Very cool! Is it possible to alter the firmware to add your own words?

Next week I'll post a guide on how to do this the hard way (recompiling the firmware yourself).

I've got plans for a web based solution but it won't be done for a month or two.

The majority of the SAM text to speech code doesn't run on the Braids module due to RAM constraints, so I have a utility that does text -> phoneme -> sample frames, compresses the sample frames and emits the wordlist data.
miles_macquarrie
Nice Work. Thank you!
Funky40
Very nice and kind from you. Thanks !
ben_hex
Nice this is an add on not a replacement for the firmware. Good work.
th0mas
Just released version 0.3, available at https://github.com/boourns/eurorack-renaissance/releases/tag/v0.3.0

New: 6xsaw, 6xsquare, 6xtri, 6xsin algorithms. 6 oscillators starting at the 1v/oct input, spaced evenly across the currently selected quantize scale. Color controls the number of scale steps between oscillators, and Timbre scans through various amplitude settings for the 6 oscillators. When the Braids quantizer is turned off, the oscillators are evenly spaced by semitones (controlled by Color)

Fixed: Signature waveshaper now works with SAM modes.
Changed: Due to increased FLASH pressure, SAM only has 32 words instead of 48.

Here's a quick demo of the 6x algorithms
http://soundcloud.com/burnsmodular/braids-renaissance-6x-algorithms (I cannot for the life of me get soundcloud embedding working, it adds a space to the end of the url)

Read the first post in this thread or https://burns.ca/eurorack.html for more information.
Pighood
Wasn’t aware there was even a 1.9. I thought the latest was 1.8.
tauburn
There should be no difference in loading this onto a ubraids vs a stock one right?
behndy
verrrrrry cool. thanks!
Heliophile
Awesome, great work!
xenosapien
tauburn wrote:
There should be no difference in loading this onto a ubraids vs a stock one right?

should work just the same if the uBraids was built to the original specs.
Daisuk
This is great! Thanks for making it and sharing. applause
burnn_out!
Holy shit! Nice!! Miley Cyrus SlayerBadger!
dooj88
th0mas wrote:

http://soundcloud.com/burnsmodular/braids-renaissance-6x-algorithms (I cannot for the life of me get soundcloud embedding working, it adds a space to the end of the url)

sounds great, i was waiting for robert wyatt to start singing at any point.
th0mas
Thanks for all the kind words smile

I'm ready for people to try creating their own word lists for SAM. Eventually this will be a web-based interface for building the firmware, but for now, you end up installing a docker container that builds the firmware with your custom wordlist.

If anyone wants to try it please follow the instructions here: https://github.com/boourns/eurorack-builder/

If you run into trouble please open new issues on that same github repository so I can track them.

This docker image is the same one I use for the official releases.

I realize it's less than ideal to have to install docker + a many-hundred-MB container to build the wordlist, but afterwards you're free to delete it all, and eventually the web interface will be complete.

Thanks!
tauburn
xenosapien wrote:
tauburn wrote:

should work just the same if the uBraids was built to the original specs.

Finally got around to trying this and it just says gives the CRC error every time. tried with higher and lower signal, same thing. has anyone else tried loading this onto a ubraids?

edit: it worked this time although i did nothing differently. seriously, i just don't get it
acidbob
Works with uBraids too?
Shledge
acidbob wrote:
Works with uBraids too?

See above posts.
cliffemu
acidbob wrote:
Works with uBraids too?

Yes I have successfully loaded on a uBraids.
Chopper
Quick question: these mode seem to be added to the 1.9 firmware (if i believe what my Braids is telling me) and there is indeed a few other modes that are not part of the official 1.8, nor part of the renaissance firmware update (like the 7777, or whatever it is called). Is there a list somewhere available of what the differences between 1.8 and 1.9 are? Thanks a lot!
SCOOBA_TANK
this is killer! So stoked on SAM. I can't wait to upload it and give a whirl! Thanks so much!
SCOOBA_TANK
cliffemu wrote:
acidbob wrote:
Works with uBraids too?

Yes I have successfully loaded on a uBraids.

+1. Uploaded with success to µBraids today.

Also, SAM RULES!!!!!! nanners
th0mas
Chopper wrote:
Quick question: these mode seem to be added to the 1.9 firmware (if i believe what my Braids is telling me) and there is indeed a few other modes that are not part of the official 1.8, nor part of the renaissance firmware update (like the 7777, or whatever it is called). Is there a list somewhere available of what the differences between 1.8 and 1.9 are? Thanks a lot!

Glad you guys are enjoying the firmware!

You can see here the official changes that occurred between 1.8 and 1.9:
https://github.com/pichenettes/eurorack/commits/master/braids

the ???? mode is not actually new, it was the easter egg mode that was only available if you entered a secret code into the text editor. I added it into the main oscillator menu since I removed the text editor to save on code size, which removed access to the easter egg.
Jcsveth
Probably a dumb question, but is there a way to reverse the operation of the encoder without re-compiling the firmware? Love the new modes!
cliffemu
This is a great firmware. I really like the x6 modes. Is there any easy way to add quantizing to the other multi-pitch modes like wtx4, too?
th0mas
Jcsveth wrote:
Probably a dumb question, but is there a way to reverse the operation of the encoder without re-compiling the firmware? Love the new modes!

No. What do you want though? Bought the wrong encoder for a diy build? I could compile you a custom build if you want.
Jcsveth
Yah. It was a common thing for the DIY builds to have a reversed encoder when the specified encoder wasn't available. A few of the alternate firmwares have reversed encoder options. Ornaments and Crimes has an option to boot with something held in which reverses the encoder.
It's peanut butter jelly time! I would be grateful if you could compile a reversed encoder code. I just finished a couple of micro-braids with a backwards encoder. Useable, but annoying.
rossanderton
Thanks for this!
MatrixModulator
Hey thanks for this, i had some great fun trying in tonight, but it seems the last mode sam3 just show 7777 on the display and it's a constant noise.
It's a diy braids but it was working fine.. i think..
Any ideas where to look for or what to try to fix it?
Thanks smile
th0mas
???? Was the original Easter egg in braids which is generating morse code. I had to reduce the number of SAM patches in order to have the firmware fit in flash which may be why you were expecting more SAM. You can customize the word list by following my previous post in this thread but as far as I know nobody has done that yet.
Bob Borries
Great Job, looking forward to customizing text
MatrixModulator
I'm sorry i'm not sure to understand... It's written on your site :

There are three SAM entries in the oscillator model list, named SAM1 to SAM3. Each of these SAM models contain 16 different words.

Sam 3 is not there, it's showing 7777 on the display instead of sam3, it's normal?
th0mas
Sorry, I forgot to update the site manual when I had to reduce SAM down to 2 banks.

SAM3 no longer exists, unless you modify the wordlist yourself and upload a new firmware. Note that you'll need to use very short words if you want three banks of words, otherwise the flash will overflow as it the firmware is very full.

I will update the site shortly to reflect that there's currently only 2 SAM word banks, thanks for mentioning that error.
MatrixModulator
th0mas wrote:
Sorry, I forgot to update the site manual when I had to reduce SAM down to 2 banks.

SAM3 no longer exists, unless you modify the wordlist yourself and upload a new firmware. Note that you'll need to use very short words if you want three banks of words, otherwise the flash will overflow as it the firmware is very full.

I will update the site shortly to reflect that there's currently only 2 SAM word banks, thanks for mentioning that error.

Ohhh ok hehe thanks smile
undothis
First thank you!

I know that Bees and the trees probably used up all the memory. So not sure if this will be able to be installed with bees in the tree Installed.

Thank you!
th0mas
When you install a new firmware it completely replaces the firmware you had previously, so it's only one at a time. Cheers
undothis
Ok thank you!
th0mas
I need a few beta testers for the next release.

Suitable testers own a Braids module as well as a JTAG adapter that they know how to use to unbrick a bricked module. I recently learnt it is possible to brick Braids with a bad firmware installed via WAV upload so I'd like to start getting a few people to test upgrades before releasing them.

If you have that gear and a few free hours to test the firmware please PM me.

Thanks,
Tom
JoeFuture
Thanks for this great firmware. The 6x modes are working well on my uBraids, but for some reason the Sam 1 and Sam 2 voices sound really glitchy and aren't making full words. I see the slot where Sam 3 should be, but the display just reads "7777" instead of "Sam 3". I've downloaded and installed the update twice with the same result. Is that expected?
th0mas
In SAM mode you pick which phoneme to play out of the chosen word by adjusting the timbre parameter, so by default it won't say words.

To get SAM you speak words, set Timbre to 0, then send an envelope into timbre (with the timbre modulation knob set above 0). Now you can adjust the speed of the word by adjusting the attack time of the envelope, independently of pitch.

A simpler way to get SAM to speak is to just send a trigger into the trig in jack. When you do it this way SAM speaks at the natural rate for the given pitch, which means that he'll speak slower at lower pitches and faster at higher pitches.

SAM3 was removed in the last firmware due to size constraints. I have to update the website to reflect that. ???? mode is the original Braids easter egg which is a morse code generator.
gimber
Did anyone ever happen to generate a way of this with the encoder direction flipped?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 2