MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
CURRENTLY BROWSING IN GUEST MODE
PLEASE LOGIN TO ACCESS FULL FUNCTIONALITY

xlr -> 1/8" ts cables
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Author xlr -> 1/8" ts cables

johnnywoods

would these work for volta?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XVM305F/

I would make cables, but if these will work, then I get a few extra hours to actually play!

1nput0utput

It's not possible to tell without knowing how they're wired. If XLR pins 2 and 3 are both connected to TS tip, then they won't work. You want pin 2 connected to tip and pin 1 connected to sleeve.

os

What an odd cable. Sadly the manufacturer's website doesn't shed any more light on the wiring:

http://www.hosatech.com/product/340572/XVM-305F/_/Microphone_Cable%2C_ XLR3F_to_Right-angle_3.5_mm_TS%2C_5_ft

Chances are it will work though.

criticalmonkey

fyi

this one will work

http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PPSN812-Channel-Female-Unbalanced/dp/B0 00PQWJ30/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273815816&sr=8-5

i use it with a motu 896 and volta on my euro rack and korg mono poly

doctorvague

I seriously doubt you're going to find an off the shelf solution that's wired to MOTU's spec - it's definitely not a standard. OTOH, I would think you could just snip the ring (pin 3 on an XLR) wire so it's not touching anything, maybe with a bit of tape and be good to go. I believe most cables are going to short pin 3 to ground rather than leaving it floating as MOTU specifies. Someone can correct me if this is incorrect.

sascha.victoria

I'm just getting into Volta and the lack of clear documentation is somewhat mind blowing.

I'm 97% sure those cables won't work right. The closest off the shelf solution is to use an insert cable. Insert cables are TRS terminating in 2 jacks that are TR and TS. So you'd use the TR jack and leave the TS hanging or cut it off. I ordered 2 of these from eBay.

johnnywoods

thanks for all the input... I think I've realized I will have to suck it up and get out the solder. d'oh!

I'm likely going to build a breakout box with 8 xlrs to run to the 896, and some 1/8" jacks for patching to the modular.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

sine

sascha.victoria wrote:
I'm just getting into Volta and the lack of clear documentation is somewhat mind blowing.

The Volta manual documents cable requirements, no?

oliviaarthur

sascha.victoria wrote:

I'm 97% sure those cables won't work right. The closest off the shelf solution is to use an insert cable. Insert cables are TRS terminating in 2 jacks that are TR and TS. So you'd use the TR jack and leave the TS hanging or cut it off. I ordered 2 of these from eBay.

I use these snakes as well with volta- I scored them from a friend of mine who had them just sitting in his garage-

theslygoose

sascha.victoria wrote:

I'm 97% sure those cables won't work right. The closest off the shelf solution is to use an insert cable.

Actually you can shop for them through me. Upon request I've made an "off-the-shelf" solution. I've successfully sold hundreds of Volta cables since May 09 and I'm sure you can get word of mouth from many people on this forum.
http://www.slygoosecables.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flyp age=flypage.tpl&product_id=16&category_id=36&option=com_virtuemart&Ite mid=2

The cables are made with 6 mm wire (standard mic size) and I've got a low-profile version coming soon too (4.5 mm wire). Hand-made, American wire, quality parts, TNT solder, etc.

emergencyofstate

^ I can vouch for Sly Goose Volta/Silent Way Cables. I've got about 10 myself w00t

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Volta  
Page 1 of 1