MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Most unique digital VCO you've heard?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Most unique digital VCO you've heard?
Adore
Let me know, I'm interested in the odd stuff but think I've heard most of them.

They should be versatile (a)tonally as well!

Thanks smile
exper
Adore wrote:

Thanks smile

Hands down, the shapeshifter. Insanely deep and versatile.
Koryo
Soulsby - Oscitron

ipnoteca
intellijel shapeshifter and cylonix cyclebox
Chartreuse-J
w0
Dogma
w0
lisa
Basimilus Iteritas Alter. Crazy and crazy good.
Kummer
E352 is super unique and is probably the best wavetable VCO ever (at least as far as I am concerned).
vailsy
Recently the akemie’s taiko although I’ve found that unique now isn’t necessarily unique in six months time as sonic limitations are found. This is a very promising module though

over the long term it has been the wmd pdo. Still not bored with it in nearly 5 years
js213
The most unique I own is hands down the E352.

I'm really interested in the Shapeshifter too, but I'm wondering if it will cover too much of the same ground as the E352. Anyone with both want to comment?
richc90
Just Friends.
GSE
Hopefully next weekend I'll get to check out the E352. Basimilus is really cool, too. Currently my favorite unique digital would be DNA Symbiotic Waves. I like to send it through VCAs and filters to get really sweet percussive sounds.
Here's a video of some basic sounds, things get interesting after 2:00.
Pighood
GSE wrote:
Hopefully next weekend I'll get to check out the E352. Basimilus is really cool, too. Currently my favorite unique digital would be DNA Symbiotic Waves. I like to send it through VCAs and filters to get really sweet percussive sounds.

Very reminiscent of Cyclebox
rishin
The E352 can create godly sounds on its own especially when you find its wavetable sweet-spots, and if you put it in Cloud/Morph mode and patch it into the Erbe-Verb with a large enough room size and infinite decay, you can get some chaotically ungodly sounds out of it. Definitely recommended!
matttech
Easy. Loquelic Iteritas w00t

[bandcamp width=400 height=340 album=3969259039 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 artwork=small]
nimmen
Waldorf nw1, next vote would be for just friends MY ASS IS BLEEDING
Funky40
matttech wrote:

[bandcamp width=400 height=340 album=3969259039 size=large bgcol=ffffff linkcol=0687f5 artwork=small]

insane. Your feel for the groove is enormous.
i couldn´t gel with it when i had one.
in that sense, i guess it won´t sound this way in everybodys hands lol
Funky40
the best i got out in regards to digital VCOs and the possible insanitys, yet super groovy, was with Braids in META mode.

its sometimes just a thing that the modulatiosn one has at hand suit those CV inputs.
sometimes they do with one VCO and not with another. thats at least my strange truth
windspirit
I think that it took awhile for me to appreciate just how much variation you can get out of Braids but once I looked at it through a scope I realized what a great module it is.

I love my loquelic as well but I find that without careful tweaking it can quickly get into very noisey territory, that is sometimes exactly what I want but when it isn't I usually go for braids or an analog oscillator.
tuj
have a lot of what's mentioned here. I'm not sure which one wins in my book:

-E352
-Shapeshifter
-Cyclebox
khyber
+1 for the Pittsburgh DNA Symbiotic Waves, this was one of my first oscillators and still remains in my collection (I just racked it in a 3U 104HP system actually with a uBraids). Very wild possibilities with the different processing algos, I wish I could add a switch to set the rate at LFO speeds for extra fun/chaos.

Didn't see it mentioned yet, but the Klavis Twin Wave is also becoming a favorite, replacing uBraids in my main case. I'm not sure what development in the module contributes to this aspect, but it produces some of the fullest/fattest sounds I've heard from a digital oscillator, not to mention it's packed with features and very well thought out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXytIAKFLoU
Kummer
Actually no, could we all just agree that the E352 is in fact the undisputed king of wavetable VCO's? hihi

It's a double dog throw down challenge, I dare anyone to name a better wavetable VCO.... I honestly and with a straight face don't think it can be done.
Pighood
Kummer wrote:
Actually no, could we all just agree that the E352 is in fact the undisputed king of wavetable VCO's? hihi

It's a double dog throw down challenge, I dare anyone to name a better wavetable VCO.... I honestly and with a straight face don't think it can be done.

Harvestchap 'bout to take that challenge
JonathanBedrava
Shapeshifter's uniqueness is proportional to the amount of time you spend setting up a patch or preset. I'm not a huge fan of the menu diving, but I get some great sounds out of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, somebody, but I believe the Make Noise Mysterion is digital and can be sort of used as an oscillator, but I feel it becomes a little less fathomable when trying to do so. I've created some wicked drones out of it in the past.
Funky40
Kummer wrote:

I´m in no doubt it is. Never patched one. still waiting for my E370

The Shapeshifter has totally been "screwed" by two at first glance minor design desicions wrongs: only 8 waves per set, instead of 16 (or eventually 32).
No low harmonic waves, sines, in every waveset.
You want to have some low harmonic waves available when doing FM and PM.
the biggest waist i´ve came across in euroland. Cause it would have been "the end of all VCO questions" unit.
you know, the one that holds you off of buying more crap wink hihi
now the E370 will take this place. quite convinced.
starthief
Kummer wrote:

E370. :mic drop: hihi
pugix
richc90 wrote:
Just Friends.

This. With RUN mode.
Kummer
starthief wrote:
Kummer wrote:

E370. :mic drop: hihi

CRAP d'oh!

Your right of course, and that did occurs to me but I was just thinking of that platform in general. The E370 is just four E352’s correct, or is it more than that?
rean1mator
Love the pitts dna. about as unique in sound as you are going to get.
GSE wrote:
starthief
Kummer wrote:
CRAP d'oh!

Your right of course, and that did occurs to me but I was just thinking of that platform in general. The E370 is just four E352’s correct, or is it more than that?

I figured you were, but being a smartass is in my blood grin

It's mostly like four E352s, but with one output per voice and a total of 8 assignable parameter CV inputs rather than 12 non-assignable ones. (In practice, each mode tends to have one or two really key parameters anyway so that's fine.) Plus a sample playback mode the E352 doesn't have, and a chord mode and mixer to coordinate the four voices.

A lot of the power comes from being able to modulate, cross-modulate, and stack the four VCOs, each of which are excellent on their own. love
Kummer
Ah thanks starthief, I hadn’t really been following each modules progress and am not on muffs as much as I used to be... hmm, now I need to consider an E370 help
Oldstench
I'm a The Harvestman chap, myself.
paults
March 1st is the last day to order a E370 direct from me (free shipping) with black or silver panel.

www.synthtech.com/shop
Koryo
Now that we are done circle jerking awesome sounding wavetable VCOs, the op asked for digital "unique" and "odd".

Sorta ot but I treat it as a VCO and it really depends on what you put into it, but a Morphagene is odd. I have yet to hear someone master it.

Braids can sound odd, but everyone has one so I would say it's rather pedestrian now. BIA and Mantis are sorta odd, but again, they are in quite a few racks.

I'm curious too. what IS a truly odd VCO. Circuit bent? Seismic Industries has what I consider to be one of the most cleverly named module's 'IPS – Interruptible Power Supply'. Plug a VCO into that and you are bound to get some very, VERY, odd behavior. I surprised it does not have Richard Devine's signature on it.
Dogma
Koryo wrote:
Now that we are done circle jerking awesome sounding wavetable VCOs, the op asked for digital "unique" and "odd".

Sorta ot but I treat it as a VCO and it really depends on what you put into it, but a Morphagene is odd. I have yet to hear someone master it.

Braids can sound odd, but everyone has one so I would say it's rather pedestrian now. BIA and Mantis are sorta odd, but again, they are in quite a few racks.

I'm curious too. what IS a truly odd VCO. Circuit bent? Seismic Industries has what I consider to be one of the most cleverly named module's 'IPS – Interruptible Power Supply'. Plug a VCO into that and you are bound to get some very, VERY, odd behavior. I surprised it does not have Richard Devine's signature on it.

eek!
pugix
Koryo wrote:

I'm curious too. what IS a truly odd VCO. Circuit bent?

Fourses
Dogma
pugix wrote:
Koryo wrote:

Fourses

is that digital?
Eurtrude
Since UNIQUE and ODD are the principal criterions, I would say the Cursus Iteritas ALL THE WAY (as well as Loquelic and Basimilus, but mostly the Cursus).

It sounds awesome and you will never be able to replicate its sound on other modules. More, you can achieve such sounds very quickly and super easily.

For sure, the shapeshifter is a beast and you can dial some pretty unique sounds out of it but it remains a digital complex oscillator which emulates hardware, and you'll have to dive in too dial up those sounds.
dooj88
Eurtrude wrote:
you'll have to dive in too dial up those sounds.

one word: "RndS" while the overall track vibe can be samey, the randomization of a patch per trig is as rewarding as your patience is long.

but yes, if you want to craft a particular sound you have in mind you'll be doing some digging. i think it's worth it for the unending variety that can be plucked from the thing.

js213 wrote:
The most unique I own is hands down the E352.

I'm really interested in the Shapeshifter too, but I'm wondering if it will cover too much of the same ground as the E352. Anyone with both want to comment?

have both. one is a powerhouse of quirky variety and an endless source of inspiration, the other is a master of buttery smooth waveforms ready to craft what you've got in mind.
Eurtrude
dooj88 wrote:
Eurtrude wrote:
you'll have to dive in too dial up those sounds.

one word: "RndS" while the overall track vibe can be samey, the randomization of a patch per trig is as rewarding as your patience is long.

but yes, if you want to craft a particular sound you have in mind you'll be doing some digging. i think it's worth it for the unending variety that can be plucked from the thing.

eek! didn't know about that being possible on the shapeshifter... I'll give it a try, thanks for this tip !!!
Tumulishroomaroom
matttech wrote:

This ! Truly a fantastic oscillator, very deep but with mostly sweet spots.
Ras Thavas
All the SpaceHardware-coded modules are unique and odd, Grainy Clampett is very different, as are Pitts DNA and Quadnic. Grainy and Quadnic can both do some of the nicest chorusing I've heard.

I wish Pitts had gone ahead and done the updated Symbiotic Waves wavetable, that would've been a DNA with morphing, no slew and lots of cv inputs.

rean1mator wrote:
Love the pitts dna. about as unique in sound as you are going to get.
GSE wrote:
mecanikill
It's not analog or a traditional oscillator but one of the strangest I've used is the Elby Chaotica. Really odd things happen when you run it at audio and modulate. Digital wise I also really like the Mysterion it's bonkers!
de_raaf
basically anyting can bee seen as part of being a vco, soundgenerator ( i guess the only matter here is is that its vc controllable, though), processing, modulation etc in the end the whole patch is an extended soundsource etc you can enndlesy can work or rework with it
pugix
Dogma wrote:
pugix wrote:
Koryo wrote:

Fourses

is that digital?

No. The question was for a truly odd VCO.
Dogma
pugix wrote:
Dogma wrote:
pugix wrote:
Koryo wrote:

Fourses

is that digital?

No. The question was for a truly odd VCO.

No its "Most unique digital VCO you've heard?"
nectarios
Most unique sounding digital osc for me is the Mysteron.
Nothing sounds like it and you can tell its a Mysteron from miles, which depending on what you're after might be a good, or a bad thing.

Its range of sounds is not big but I also don't think its a one trick pony as its does a lot of nice clangy/glitchy drum textures.
Funky40
thats a good point nectarios
DonKartofflo
nectarios wrote:
Most unique sounding digital osc for me is the Mysteron.
Nothing sounds like it and you can tell its a Mysteron from miles, which depending on what you're after might be a good, or a bad thing.

Its range of sounds is not big but I also don't think its a one trick pony as its does a lot of nice clangy/glitchy drum textures.

Interesting, to me it sounds like karplus strong although a bit more aggressive than most delays.
GSE
I had the chance to mess around w/ the E352 at a synth meet in Texas yesterday. That thing is bonkers, FM, wavetables, morphing, load your own tables w/ sd card. The cloud mode sounds like a Swarmatron on steroids, very dark and eerie....goosebumps. I would like to thank Paul for being there and showing it. There's a lot of hard work there and it shows, the high quality of the parts and build are worth every penny of investment.
ludu357
love the power and the ergonomics of the piston honda mk2,
love the instant gratification of the loquelic iteritas,
love the retro futur sound of the telharmonic.
Adore
I'm happy I made this thread! So many good replies.

Keep it going! grin
Randy
PT Audio Dual Digital Oscillator. If you want something off the beaten path.

Randy
Worwell
Adore wrote:

My votes is for the Equation Composer.

airfrankenstein
Randy wrote:

Randy

how does that compare with a hertz donut ?
johny_gtr
Plaits with modulation on all except models. It doesn't matter how much wigglers has their plaits. Your modulation ideas is only yours.
Two plaits with crossfader/mixer will be interesting as well
Bigwerm
The Noise Engineering Ataraxic Iteritas is a great oscillator that can go from very smooth to very strange.
Bachelard
+1 for the Cursus. One of my favourite digital oscillators. I like it better than the Loquelic because it's overall a bit more subtle.

Not 100% sure if this is a digital oscillator, but the Elby Double Deca is very unique.

Currently in my system is a Hertz Donut mk1 that I just recently picked up and I can just listen to it drone away all day with subtle modulation of the thru-zero FM.

But why stop at digital? The Mannequins Mangrove is hands down one of the most unique oscillators I've ever heard, and I believe it's analog at its core.
TheCoug
Another vote for Loquelic Iteritas here, closely followed by the Telharmonic.
Foghorn
Finally a vote for Telharmonic.
But then Mysteron (is so unique)
and BIA (nasty or nice)
Plaits (can do almost anything)
and of course Braids (oldie but goodie)

Oh yeah, Sync Iter (BIA's lost cousin)

Foghorn
starthief
I just got an Akemie's Castle, and it's weird in directions I never expected.

Three cool things that it does, before even getting into FM:

- Some of the "chords" on VCO B are stacked octaves -- basically a crude form of additive synthesis that is more effective than I'd have guessed.

- CV into the Level input of a carrier easily overdrives it and leads to some interesting places.

- Turning up the Multiply knob also multiplies instabilities in the VCO frequency. So if you lower the main frequency by a couple of octaves and turn up the multiplier, it'll sound a bit different.

And of course the FM itself has got all this weird texture and grunk on top of that.
Glitchmachines
I don't know about "unique" but here are the ones I've been most impressed with (many/most have already been mentioned) :

Piston Honda MK3 (previous versions also)
Hertz Donut MK3 (previous versions also)
XAOC Odessa - but this is only from preliminary impressions
E370/E352
Akemie's Castle
Akemie's Taiko
Loquelic Iteritas/Percido
Cursus Iteritas/Percido
Manis Iteritas
Ataraxic Iteritas

Each kind of have their own character so it's hard to pick a winner. That being said, if I had a gun to my head and had to pick just one, it would be the Piston Honda MK3 The Harvestman
brandonlogic
E352. Is there any other wavetable osc (other than e370) that does what e352’s cloud parameters do?
MARK27
brandonlogic wrote:
E352. Is there any other wavetable osc (other than e370) that does what e352’s cloud parameters do?

The Hydrasynth oscillators can, but I can't think of anything in euro with that capability.
suthnear
Cyclebox. It covers ground from pretty convincingly analogue to digital banshee. It has a wild untamed quality and unlike many other digital oscillators doesn't get thin when pushed. And since you'll never remember what its cryptic modes do there's a fair bit of serendipity to using it as well.

Unfortunately it was discontinued. The shapeshifter, while a great module, is not a replacement. If you can't find one of these, all of NE's oscillators are unique and interesting.
suthnear
Kummer wrote:

Sure: erica synth's graphic vco. I much prefer what it sounds like. The e352 is an incredible package but there is a sheen to the sound I just don't seem to get along with and I sold the e352 after getting the gvco. It has a number of oscillator effects that can completely transform the sound: fm, ringmod, wavefolding, distortion, etc. The only thing it lacks is the ability to import your own wavetables (although you could draw them in if you felt so inclined eek! ).

Cyclebox and the gvco would be my two desert island digital oscillators...
suthnear
MARK27 wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:

The Hydrasynth oscillators can, but I can't think of anything in euro with that capability.

Both braids and plaits have supersaw modes...
FatKingTubby
Only one quick mention of the Klavis Twin Waves seems crazy to me. This thing has 2 oscillators each with ~20 different algorithms (including filtered noise, some self-synced waves, and a fun parameter to play with), built-in quantizers, through-zero FM, and some very interesting LFO algos as well. My favorite is brownian vectors where it takes a random voltage level and directs itself towards that voltage from wherever it was previously. At the moment it is my only digital VCO. It's also only 8hp, so really seems like it should be a must have for many.
sutekina bipu-on
probably the beast tek P239.... uncontrollable

I love braids but its far from unique. It DOES sound like the baby of a SQ80 and a DX7 though.

shout out to alias dvco for being the most unapoligetically aliasy and oversized vco ever.
Stab Frenzy
There’s lots of great wavetable oscs out there, but the Odessa is truly unique at the moment.
VM
Stab Frenzy wrote:
There’s lots of great wavetable oscs out there, but the Odessa is truly unique at the moment.

Hell yeah. I'm still waiting on TinShed to give the ETA on when he's accepting pre-orders.

In terms of pure unique-ness, maybe x1l3 shard? I'm not aware of anything that treats sound with such utter contempt. Kinda want one.
Pighood
VM wrote:

In terms of pure unique-ness, maybe x1l3 shard? I'm not aware of anything that treats sound with such utter contempt. Kinda want one.

Got one, mounted next to it's even sillier sister, the Noise Swash. The latter makes unrepeatable sputters and squawks that are cyclical and rhythmic. Simply sick.
Randy
airfrankenstein wrote:
Randy wrote:

Randy

how does that compare with a hertz donut ?

No idea, I don't have a Hertz Donut. But the PT Audio is an odd one, capable of some interesting textures.
carlfunkenn
Worwell wrote:
Adore wrote:

My votes is for the Equation Composer.

eek!
lisa
Yamaha FM synthesis has been around for ages but is still absolutely bonkers so I’d recommend trying out ALM Akemie's Castle.
matttech
Big fan of the Loquelic, cyclebox and WMD PDO MK2 (although that is an analogue digital hybrid to be fair)
dooj88
Pighood wrote:
VM wrote:

Got one, mounted next to it's even sillier sister, the Noise Swash. The latter makes unrepeatable sputters and squawks that are cyclical and rhythmic. Simply sick.

ive never actually heard a noise swash until today, amazing. how would you compare it to kermit? a good pairing? Flamey
Dedal
I’m a huge fan of Kotelnikov https://www.modulargrid.net/e/sssr-labs-sm042-kotelnikov really love it

But I also vote For BIA, piston honda and donut and of course king of wawetables e352, I had to sell it, but some day it will come back to me:)
For now I use its progenitor e330 multimode VCO it’s much simple but cheap and I totally love it.
by the way, some waveshapers can bring lousy osc to nasty beast and give it new life!
Pighood
lisa wrote:
Yamaha FM synthesis has been around for ages but is still absolutely bonkers so I’d recommend trying out ALM Akemie's Castle.

I seem to remember once upon a time Modcan had a 4-op prototype in the works that never made it to production.
Pighood
Dedal wrote:
I’m a huge fan of Kotelnikov https://www.modulargrid.net/e/sssr-labs-sm042-kotelnikov really love it

I dream about that sexy beastard love
brandonlogic
suthnear wrote:
MARK27 wrote:
brandonlogic wrote:

Both braids and plaits have supersaw modes...

Clouds on the e352 are more than just a supersaw... it can be applied to smoothly morphing wavetables and it has Chaos and Chaos Bandwidth controls.
Pighood
dooj88 wrote:

ive never actually heard a noise swash until today, amazing. how would you compare it to kermit? a good pairing? Flamey

Like comparing cuttlefish to grapefruit. I also have Das Kermit, and it stands alone in terms of the groany, rusty timbres amongst other 1v/oct oscillators. Rather unpredictable in the best way possible.

Noise Swash is like its doolally 4th cousin 9th removed. Expect to NEVER replicate any sound you get out of it ever again.

Are they a good pairing? Yuppe.
starthief
Kermit definitely qualifies as unique. In theory it's a really basic dual wavetable VCO, but in practice it's got something going on.

I suspect some parts of the wavetable are replaced/modulated by either noise, or some kind of bitwise logic. On the second VCO, it's affected by the first VCO. Whatever is going on, the result is this awesome sounding digital texture that sounds alive.

And then it's extra fabulous when cross-AMing itself and/or using both VCOs in stereo.
Pighood
starthief wrote:
Kermit definitely qualifies as unique. In theory it's a really basic dual wavetable VCO, but in practice it's got something going on.

I suspect some parts of the wavetable are replaced/modulated by either noise, or some kind of bitwise logic. On the second VCO, it's affected by the first VCO. Whatever is going on, the result is this awesome sounding digital texture that sounds alive.

And then it's extra fabulous when cross-AMing itself and/or using both VCOs in stereo.

fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap... fap fap fap...
megarat
I don't think we're getting far enough out there into the world of odd/unique.

How about the 2hp Cat, which is a VCO designed to sound like a cat?

And there are some of the lo-fi VCOs inspired by or based on old video game technology, like the Synthrotek APC, ALM Busy Circuits Sid Guts (Deluxe), or any of the Alias series by Beast-Tek.
lisa
2hp Cat is just a sample player with cat samples. If you ever owned a sampler you would probably not find cat sounds very odd or unique. My old samplers where filled with fart sounds and whatnot. smile
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 4