the DIY cases thread!

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Post Reply
User avatar
khakifridge
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 741
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:56 pm
Location: UK

Post by khakifridge » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:47 am

Catchthehare wrote:Here is my 2nd DIY. This time I attempted Tolex and all OK! I added detachable legs too with a threaded insert, both short and long legs. Works great!
Image
That is a sweet little build. The colour-scheme is very striking and the Tolex is well-executed. Love it. :yay:

User avatar
Catchthehare
Common Wiggler
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:06 am
Location: London

Post by Catchthehare » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:20 am

khakifridge wrote:
Catchthehare wrote:Here is my 2nd DIY. This time I attempted Tolex and all OK! I added detachable legs too with a threaded insert, both short and long legs. Works great!
Image
That is a sweet little build. The colour-scheme is very striking and the Tolex is well-executed. Love it. :yay:
Thanks buddy! Obviously the ivory colour doesn't show up too well in the pics, it is a bit more subtle than shown.

Flix
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:28 pm
Location: London

Post by Flix » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:59 pm

jeboo wrote:I love looking at this thread!! :hail:

Here's my recently completed.

Image
Oh this is gorgeous! Black with bright-colour trim is an aesthetic I <3 and this green is just beautiful. The pattern adds a nice touch, too :D

User avatar
luchog
Crazy Pony
Posts: 1150
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:57 pm
Location: The Emerald City

Post by luchog » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:29 am

Finally built my rack. Just a small 7U 104HP portable rig for my current collection of modules. I'm planning on building a much larger studio rack, at which point I'll relegate this one to the manual control and sequencers modules that are still on my must-buy list. Pictures are kind of crap.

Back on 2007, I picked up a case of my favorite beer, and had the wooden crate they came in kicking around since then. Always planned to use it for something, but never knew what. So I decided to take the stamped end pieces and use them for the cheeks of my rack. I treated them with lemon oil and beeswax. The rails and brackets are from Clicks and Clocks, attached to the wood with stainless steel 1/2" #6 pan head sheet metal screws and nylon washers. The modules are attached with Befaco Knurlies M3 rack screws.

Image

You can really see the difference between the treated end pieces, and an untreated board from the same crate, which they're resting on in this pic.

Image

Pictures of the bits all set up, just before assembling, and afterwards.

Image
Image
Image

The final rack all assembled, with my current collection of modules, and a Zorx controller sitting over the 1U section (no tiles yet, but that's next on my list).

Image

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:21 pm
Location: Switzerland

Post by andybizarre » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:48 am

onre wrote:I spent the weekend at my friend's place. He has a rather elaborate little carpentry shed and the original plan was to build another 84 hp skiff there so that I would have two of those.

However, at hardware store we found some FSC-certified laminated acacia board for rather cheap. I have a 4 A +-12 volts PSU that I've planned on building a case for "some day", and looks like that day was yesterday.

So, in the end we didn't build a skiff but this. With my module acquisition rate I'll probably have the thing fully loaded by 2040.
Building a 15U-tower instead of a skiff reminds me of certain tuning attempts in a once popular home improvement show. What did you guys smoke in the boys` shed? :chug:

User avatar
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1851
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: lovettsville, va
Contact:

Post by dooj88 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:03 pm

andybizarre wrote:
onre wrote:I spent the weekend at my friend's place. He has a rather elaborate little carpentry shed and the original plan was to build another 84 hp skiff there so that I would have two of those.

However, at hardware store we found some FSC-certified laminated acacia board for rather cheap. I have a 4 A +-12 volts PSU that I've planned on building a case for "some day", and looks like that day was yesterday.

So, in the end we didn't build a skiff but this. With my module acquisition rate I'll probably have the thing fully loaded by 2040.
Building a 15U-tower instead of a skiff reminds me of certain tuning attempts in a once popular home improvement show. What did you guys smoke in the boys` shed? :chug:
Image

User avatar
jayndoodle
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:59 am
Contact:

Post by jayndoodle » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:59 am

Catchthehare wrote:Here is my 2nd DIY. This time I attempted Tolex and all OK! I added detachable legs too with a threaded insert, both short and long legs. Works great!
Image
:tu:
Where did you get those legs? Are they the 4ms ones?

tillibilli
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu May 07, 2015 9:13 pm

Post by tillibilli » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:03 am

Here's the two cases I built, one of them as a Controller Skiff including an Appendage Ribbon Controller, 3 FSR's and an IR-Sensor
Image

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
Common Wiggler
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:10 am

Quick question!

I'm finally getting around to building my final case for the AJH MiniMod system. Since I'm well under the amperage rating for the Doepfer PSU3, I was thinking about adding a jack for another case on top, and a jack below for a controller (each would have their own Doepfer buss boards inside their respective cases).

I won't have any problem wiring everything up, but I was wondering if any of you guys knew of a jack/plug setup that would work with 4 wires. Obviously only needs to handle 12V/5V. Not sure if there's a small DIN connector that would be easy to wire without specialist tools (like Molex plugs).
"...whose life is a quest for impossible things like flowers in concrete or like trying to pluck a note of music out of the air and put it under glass to treasure." -Rod Serling

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 397
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:21 pm
Location: Switzerland

Post by andybizarre » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:19 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:Quick question!

I'm finally getting around to building my final case for the AJH MiniMod system. Since I'm well under the amperage rating for the Doepfer PSU3, I was thinking about adding a jack for another case on top, and a jack below for a controller (each would have their own Doepfer buss boards inside their respective cases).

I won't have any problem wiring everything up, but I was wondering if any of you guys knew of a jack/plug setup that would work with 4 wires. Obviously only needs to handle 12V/5V. Not sure if there's a small DIN connector that would be easy to wire without specialist tools (like Molex plugs).
I`m using 4 pole XLR connectors to expand my Doepfer A100-G6 6U case with absolutely no problems. Deeper in this thread there are solutions using Speakon connectors as well. However, I limited myself to one busboard per wire and didn`t exceed the max. number of attached busboards (3 per PSU3 unit).

User avatar
dooj88
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1851
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:31 pm
Location: lovettsville, va
Contact:

Post by dooj88 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:51 am

tillibilli wrote:Here's the two cases I built, one of them as a Controller Skiff including an Appendage Ribbon Controller, 3 FSR's and an IR-Sensor
Image
that skiff is :wow: :clap: !!

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
Common Wiggler
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:35 pm

andybizarre wrote:I`m using 4 pole XLR connectors to expand my Doepfer A100-G6 6U case with absolutely no problems. Deeper in this thread there are solutions using Speakon connectors as well. However, I limited myself to one busboard per wire and didn't exceed the max. number of attached busboards (3 per PSU3 unit).
Badass dude! Thanks for the quick answer! I'm kinda leaning towards Speakon connectors after looking at both. I didn't know they made XLR in more poles/wires than 3.

I'm also planning on 3 buss boards total as well (1 in the controller, 1 in the MiniMod case, 1 in the small case above that), and the amperage is way under what the PSU3 puts out.

What did you use for cable for your XLR connectors?
"...whose life is a quest for impossible things like flowers in concrete or like trying to pluck a note of music out of the air and put it under glass to treasure." -Rod Serling

User avatar
DruidTek
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 492
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:06 am
Contact:

Post by DruidTek » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:06 am

I built a skiff to demo 1010music modules. It's a simple pine construction with a marine ply base

Image

I spray painted it in a gloss enamel

Image

The original power supply didn't have quite enough grunt, so I had to upgrade it.

Image

Image

Sequencer, sampler & polysynth in one very portable system.

Image

Here's the end result in action.

[video][/video]

User avatar
Catchthehare
Common Wiggler
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:06 am
Location: London

Post by Catchthehare » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:47 am

jayndoodle wrote:
Catchthehare wrote:Here is my 2nd DIY. This time I attempted Tolex and all OK! I added detachable legs too with a threaded insert, both short and long legs. Works great!
Image
:tu:
Where did you get those legs? Are they the 4ms ones?
Hey I go them here http://www.castorsunlimited.co.uk
Then found some threaded sleeves for the legs and inserts for the case :tu:

Chickenbone
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:17 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Post by Chickenbone » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:40 pm

I know this question must've been asked but I can't find an answer. Is there something like the erthenvar rail mounts for tiptop z-rails? I just build boxes and get rack rails and use the z-ears, which is easy, but I want to tluse them without the z-ears in a future build.

Pardon my laziness, I know I could just bolt them through the box but I'd like the other solution more.
If you ever come to a fork in the road, pick it up.
Modular Grid
SoundCloud

User avatar
scottmoon
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 2224
Joined: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:11 pm
Location: Sierra Foothills
Contact:

Post by scottmoon » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:24 pm

Chickenbone wrote:I know this question must've been asked but I can't find an answer. Is there something like the erthenvar rail mounts for tiptop z-rails? I just build boxes and get rack rails and use the z-ears, which is easy, but I want to tluse them without the z-ears in a future build.

Pardon my laziness, I know I could just bolt them through the box but I'd like the other solution more.
Just buy some 1" aluminum stock at home depot and use your z-ears for a template. Cut and drill.
"If you think this world is bad, you should see some of the others" - PKD

My band's noise https://soundcloud.com/lunarasylum

justin0xffffff
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:43 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Post by justin0xffffff » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:12 pm

Catchthehare wrote:
jayndoodle wrote:
Catchthehare wrote:Here is my 2nd DIY. This time I attempted Tolex and all OK! I added detachable legs too with a threaded insert, both short and long legs. Works great!
Image
:tu:
Where did you get those legs? Are they the 4ms ones?
Hey I go them here http://www.castorsunlimited.co.uk
Then found some threaded sleeves for the legs and inserts for the case :tu:
man… you gotta share a link. someone can get lost on that site (haha)

BobbyFogtop
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 9:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

150hp 10u case

Post by BobbyFogtop » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:31 pm

I recently finished a 150hp 10u case. I was able to do it in large part because of things I've learned on Muffs, so I figured I would post some details on the chance that someone might find something useful in them.

It's been less than a year since I started messing with eurorack modular, but I quickly got to the point where I had filled my starter TipTop Mantis case, and had DIYed a second 84hp 7u rack based around a Doepfer DIY kit. Once one really gets going with the patches modular seems like the antithesis of neatness, but I felt like I wanted to neaten things up and get them into a single case, so I started planning something larger.

How big? I prefer the looks of a wide case over a tall one in the space I have for it in my home studio. I wanted a 1u row for the Pulp Logic tiles I have. (Especially the "Link" as you'll read later.) I like the ledge in ZRails, but I got along o.k. with the Vector rails in the Doepfer kit, so when I happened on a good price for the "Vector TS600" package of 4 60 inch rails I went with that. As it turns out they were oversized just enough that, even with the saw blade kerf, I could cut them in half and still have the full 30 inches needed for 150hp, and having 8 30" rails gave me the 10U I wanted. And three foot cables pretty much make it from corner to corner.

I had made the end brackets for the Doepfer kit from aluminum stock myself, but I decided to get a nicer finish and save myself some time by ordering the brackets from Pulp Logic. The 3U+1U combo set is quite nice and makes for a cleaner installation than separate 1U and 3U brackets would.

I had some Phillipine mahogany sold for use as deck planks that I like the looks of in other woodworking projects I've done, so that made up the sides. I used pocket screws to join the sides together. The back is a piece of half inch plywood.

Image


How do I power this thing? After reading a lot of different threads here, I never felt a high degree of confidence that I understood all the possibilities and trade-offs. I'm a D.I.Y guy in many ways, but not that interested in learning about power supplies right now - I was hoping for a more turn-key solution that made as many of the decisions for me as I could get away with. I found what I needed in the m/15. W.T. at Trogotronics helped me scale the thing up properly, I think. I went with the 18RU setup. The bus boards were pretty easy to work with and he packages it with all the clamps, screws, wires, etc. that you need to get things working.
Image

The power brick wires were a bit of a hassle. I tried a bunch of different ways to fit all the stuff inside the case, but it was just a little too messy, and I wanted to leave as much space for modules as possible - some of the ones I have are pretty deep and I didn't want too many restrictions on where I could position them in the rack. So, in the end I attached all that stuff to the back of the case. Eh... it's a studio case. No one can see the back.

Image
You may notice the DB25 connectors there. This is something I think others might find useful. I bought a couple of Pulp Logic's "Link" tiles and I'm using them as the exit for audio from the modular. I wanted an effective, low-clutter way of getting audio to my K-Mix. I found that a "DB-25 Female To 26 Pin IDC Socket Flat Cable" is a perfect match for the Link. Along with a "Snake Cable DB25 To 8 x TRS 6.6Ft DB25 to TRS Snake" I can get 8 balanced signals to or from the K-Mix.. Now, I just plug my modular level outputs into one of the 8 jacks on a Link to send it to the K-Mix. I'm using channels 1 & 2 to get signals from the K-Mix back into the modular. (So far, only one of the Links is in use. I may need to buy another K-Mix!)

Anyway. That's the story. Here's a picture of it in it's home. I hope someone gets something out of this post.


Image

paranoidmoonduck
Common Wiggler
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:18 pm

Post by paranoidmoonduck » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:25 pm

tillibilli wrote:Here's the two cases I built, one of them as a Controller Skiff including an Appendage Ribbon Controller, 3 FSR's and an IR-Sensor
Image
That skiff is lovely. The integrated controller is amazing.

User avatar
stringsthings
Common Wiggler
Posts: 183
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:24 pm
Location: US

Post by stringsthings » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:54 pm

luchog wrote:
Image


Image

The final rack all assembled, with my current collection of modules, and a Zorx controller sitting over the 1U section (no tiles yet, but that's next on my list).

Image
This looks really nice! Those end pieces turned out really well.

User avatar
Sleipnir
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 708
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:24 am
Location: Los Gatos, CA

Re: 150hp 10u case

Post by Sleipnir » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:26 pm

BobbyFogtop wrote: <snip>
I found that a "DB-25 Female To 26 Pin IDC Socket Flat Cable" is a perfect match for the Link. Along with a "Snake Cable DB25 To 8 x TRS 6.6Ft DB25 to TRS Snake" I can get 8 balanced signals to or from the K-Mix.
</snip>
Very nice, though do you get any noise pickup from running audio through the unshielded ribbon?

BobbyFogtop
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 9:02 am
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: 150hp 10u case

Post by BobbyFogtop » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:42 pm

Sleipnir wrote:
BobbyFogtop wrote: <snip>
I found that a "DB-25 Female To 26 Pin IDC Socket Flat Cable" is a perfect match for the Link. Along with a "Snake Cable DB25 To 8 x TRS 6.6Ft DB25 to TRS Snake" I can get 8 balanced signals to or from the K-Mix.
</snip>
Very nice, though do you get any noise pickup from running audio through the unshielded ribbon?
I made the ribbon run from the tile to the snake as direct as I possibly could. To me the sound feels like it has less noise and more 'clarity' than what I was getting with the setup I had. But I added a few new, very nice modules like Plaits and Mixup, and the whole rig just has a better vibe than what I was working with... I'm sure I'm not objective, but I'm satisfied with the result.

User avatar
thehipcola
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:59 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: * VIDEO * Build a Cardboard Eurorack Case

Post by thehipcola » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:49 am

jpaldam wrote:Image

“This is a DIY cardboard Eurorack case project that I have been working on for little over half a year. More than just being about building cases in a low-cost material, it’s about a simple cut, fold, and glue technique, that allows you to build all kinds of things for your studio in cardboard. I have built a complete Eurorack environment using the technique. The video intended as a respectful sequel to Mylar Melodies: "How to make a DIY Eurorack 3U case"

LINK TO THE VIDEO:


LINK TO PDF with templates and detailed list of materials:
http://jens.paldam.dk/build_a_cardboard ... k_case.pdf
This is awesome stuff - thanks for sharing this. Inspiring for sure.

User avatar
shred
desperation tentacle
Posts: 1144
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:41 am
Location: delaware

Post by shred » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:20 am

was randomly at the Container Store and saw they carry small waterproof cases, similar to the Pulp Logic lunchbox and others. Had a coupon so I picked up a small one for miscellaneous video gear but they could easily be used for portable racks.

removed the two hinge pins cause i'm picky and wanted the lid to come off lol. anyone have recommendations for replaceable pins which can be removed easily?

Waterproof cases from Container Store
A Dingleberry Monstrosity wrote:CATS OR GTFO!!!!!

www.shredderghost.bandcamp.com



User avatar
Doublecoolbossman
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 326
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:54 pm
Location: Morgantown, WV

Post by Doublecoolbossman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:30 am

Im using paint can openers with the flat part sawed off for my hinge pins.

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”