Xaoc Belgrad

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Val
Common Wiggler

Post by Val » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:43 am

Sooo, yesterday night I ordered my first euro module to complement my 0-C, which is a XAOC Belgrad. (with an HEK)

Really looking forward to play with it, really the best filter I've ever heard. I've been wanting to build a modular for 2 or 3 years now... So excited

kbithecrowing
Common Wiggler

Post by kbithecrowing » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:14 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:So here's another tune heavily featuring Belgrad. This time in a more conservative manner. It's fed by the saw A and square B waves from a DPO and set to low/notch mode. Tito off. The second main voice is the sines of the DPO running through a ring mod.

https://soundcloud.com/asafoetida/papillon
I know this was a little while ago but I just wanted to say I love all the tracks you've posted in this thread, this one in particular. Beautiful transition from rhythm to drone :love:

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:09 am

how do you think Belgrad's normal 4 pole vcf sounds compared to polaris/ripples in terms of normal 4 pole dark bass lpfiltering? much overlap?

MrBiggs
I see dead people

Post by MrBiggs » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:16 am

droningsphagettimonster wrote:how do you think Belgrad's normal 4 pole vcf sounds compared to polaris/ripples in terms of normal 4 pole dark bass lpfiltering? much overlap?
I for one have never even thought about using the Belgrad as a "normal" filter. My Belgrad sits right next to my Polaris, and as far as i'm concerned they operate on different planes of existence.
I think this stems from my immediately forgetting what the little picture icons on the Belgrad actually are representing, and just turning the dial until I hear something awesome. Which is often. My first two weeks with the Belgrad were frustrating because of this -- I'd refer to the manual and have to check the Tito switch because the "low pass" wasn't low passing as I expected.

This is not to say it doesn't. It's to say that it might, but I find having both Belgrad and Polaris to be 1. possibly necessary and 2. quite rewarding. Your mileage may vary.
•Music and stuff: Dance Robot Dance.
•Current contents:Modulargrid

subLimb
Common Wiggler

Post by subLimb » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:54 am

I find a lot of my confusion with the Belgrad came from it being a dual peak filter, and that once I adjusted the "span" down toward zero, it behaves a lot more like a traditional filter. Realizing that the span will fundamentally change how the cutoff behaves when swept was a big help.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:54 pm

subLimb wrote:I find a lot of my confusion with the Belgrad came from it being a dual peak filter, and that once I adjusted the "span" down toward zero, it behaves a lot more like a traditional filter. Realizing that the span will fundamentally change how the cutoff behaves when swept was a big help.
Yes. Span down to zero on the first three modes (starting at 7o' clock) will give you traditional LPF sounds. -Or setting balance fully to the side where the LPF is. I can't tell how Belgrad compares to Ripples or Polaris since I don't have either of them...

Grumpypanda69
Common Wiggler

Post by Grumpypanda69 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:11 am

Is it normal to get a crackling sound through my speakers when turning the “Mode” knob to select waveforms? Just got this today, my first filter, it’s lovely but I don’t know if it needs repairing or is this a teething type issue that goes away with use/time?

I can hear it when I record as well in the recording .

arthurdent
Veteran Wiggler

Post by arthurdent » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:08 am

Grumpypanda69 wrote:Is it normal to get a crackling sound through my speakers when turning the “Mode” knob to select waveforms? Just got this today, my first filter, it’s lovely but I don’t know if it needs repairing or is this a teething type issue that goes away with use/time?

Yes - at least mine does the same thing and others have reported it as well. And, so far, it's not something that goes away with time, it seems to be the nature of the selector switch that is used. As I recall, somewhere in this thread, XAOC talks about it.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:34 am

arthurdent wrote:
Grumpypanda69 wrote:Is it normal to get a crackling sound through my speakers when turning the “Mode” knob to select waveforms? Just got this today, my first filter, it’s lovely but I don’t know if it needs repairing or is this a teething type issue that goes away with use/time?

Yes - at least mine does the same thing and others have reported it as well. And, so far, it's not something that goes away with time, it seems to be the nature of the selector switch that is used. As I recall, somewhere in this thread, XAOC talks about it.
Yes it's normal. A guy from Xaoc commented here about that. However with my unit it got significantly quiter after some use. Meanwhile it's so quiet that it's entirely masked by the sound coming out of the Belgrad (I admit I rarely have the input gain lower than one o' clock :bananaguitar: )Perhaps you guys are lucky, too and it vanishes on your units as well.

cptnal
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cptnal » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:32 am

R.U.Nuts wrote:
arthurdent wrote:

Yes it's normal. A guy from Xaoc commented here about that. However with my unit it got significantly quiter after some use. Meanwhile it's so quiet that it's entirely masked by the sound coming out of the Belgrad (I admit I rarely have the input gain lower than one o' clock :bananaguitar: )Perhaps you guys are lucky, too and it vanishes on your units as well.
Same here. Reckon the mode selector "softens up" with use. :tu:

stefOT
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stefOT » Tue May 01, 2018 7:41 am

I got a Belgrad since 2 weeks, and OMG it's absolutely fantastic !
I found myself dreaming about an expansion module for this unit that would smoothly go through the different frequency responses ! that would be just magic !
dunno if it's physically possible....

nso_music
Common Wiggler

Post by nso_music » Mon May 14, 2018 10:41 pm

please delete!

Switchzik
Common Wiggler

Post by Switchzik » Sun May 20, 2018 7:43 am

Belgrad looks fantastic.
How easy can I bring it to some classic Moogy, SEM or Acid territory ?

thatguy
Learning to Wiggle

Post by thatguy » Mon May 21, 2018 12:45 am

I got a Belgrad 2nd hand in a trade and everything seems to be working but in modes LB and LH I keep getting rhythmic clicking/popping at certain settings. I can reproduce it every time with or without input by selecting one of these two modes, turning the resonance above halfway, the span all the way up, and moving the frequency around 2. I wonder if this is just a side effect of high span settings or if I might have gotten the bad end of a trade. I watched some filter sweep videos and didn't notice the same behavior.

[edit]
After playing with it for a bit I think it's just a side effect of extreme settings when the pole of the LP is spread too extremely low. I should have known better than to post before messing with it for longer than 20 minutes. I just happened to dial in that sound on my very first test and got freaked out.

I'm loving this thing it is definitely a screamer.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Tue May 22, 2018 3:34 pm

https://soundcloud.com/asafoetida/libreville

OK. Another one showcasing the awesomeness of Belgrad: The glassy plinks and plonks are a loop recorded with my DLD. It's Belgrad in dual lowpass mode, no Tito, medium resonance, fed with the final out of my DPO coming from a VCA that receives the same envelope as the cutoff of Belgrad.
The lead sound is Belgrad in lowpass/notch mode, Tito up, loads of resonance, fed with DPO final out and VCO A triangle. The sub-bass is DPO VCO A sine through a VCA.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Tue May 22, 2018 4:09 pm

Nice!

I traded my Three Sisters for a Belgrad and it should arrive in a couple of days. Really looking forward to it.

Switchzik
Common Wiggler

Post by Switchzik » Thu May 24, 2018 10:04 am

Switchzik wrote:Belgrad looks fantastic.
No one have tried to throw some heavy acid baseline with it ? :sadbanana:

I'm hesitating between belgrad + Manhattan Analog DTM for more polyvalence or the Manhattan Analog SVVCF alone for its CP3 mixer.
Last edited by Switchzik on Thu May 24, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bassbinladen
Learning to Wiggle

Post by bassbinladen » Thu May 24, 2018 2:17 pm

Im thinking about picking up a Belgrad. I dont have any filters atm!

mafgar
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mafgar » Thu May 24, 2018 2:43 pm

Switchzik wrote:

I'm hesitating between belgrad + Manhattan Analog DTM for more prevalence or the Manhattan Analog SVVCF alone for its CP3 mixer.

I did this awhile back, just playin around with it for the first time. Kinda acidy.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Thu May 24, 2018 8:56 pm

This filter is staggering :woah:

So many filter shapes, so many FM possibilities, so many cool timbres when self-oscillating, so much opportunity to self-modulate. I think this is a filter to grow into :)

Switchzik
Common Wiggler

Post by Switchzik » Fri May 25, 2018 6:26 am

mafgar wrote:
Switchzik wrote:

I'm hesitating between belgrad + Manhattan Analog DTM for more prevalence or the Manhattan Analog SVVCF alone for its CP3 mixer.

I did this awhile back, just playin around with it for the first time. Kinda acidy.
Thanks !

This video shows also some nice thick bassline possibilities (from 4:40)

Good to hear that :banana:

racooniac
Wiggling with Experience

Post by racooniac » Fri May 25, 2018 2:20 pm

starthief wrote:I think this is a filter to grow into :)
oh yes!

i have mine since half a year and i still discover new sweet spots, the longer i play with it the more i love it ;)

SanderSB
Learning to Wiggle

Post by SanderSB » Sat May 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Cant wait to get mine this week!

guestt

Post by guestt » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:18 am

My friend came over at the weekend, she plays guitar very, very well, plugged her in via Sewastopol and then through Belgrad... she played, I played with her sound ... oh my god!

:deadbanana:

We both sat in disbelief at how good everything sounds - pure magic!!

Highly recommended :tu:

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:48 pm

Baddcr wrote:My friend came over at the weekend, she plays guitar very, very well, plugged her in via Sewastopol and then through Belgrad... she played, I played with her sound ... oh my god!

:deadbanana:

We both sat in disbelief at how good everything sounds - pure magic!!

Highly recommended :tu:
Lemme guess: You forgot to hit record, right? :cry:

Return to “Eurorack Modules”