MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Polyend Poly module + SEQ Sequencer (32 steps, 8 polyphonic)
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Author Polyend Poly module + SEQ Sequencer (32 steps, 8 polyphonic)
stikygum
Can the Polyend Poly be used with other sequencers that output midi? I have a Synthstrom Deluge already and am curious if I could use this as an expander for that as well. Or is the Poly only made to work with the Seq?
nangu
stikygum wrote:
Can the Polyend Poly be used with other sequencers that output midi? I have a Synthstrom Deluge already and am curious if I could use this as an expander for that as well.

Yep. It does 5-pin midi, usb midi, and even has a usb host mode.

http://polyend.com/poly/

I should try mine with Deluge, but it’s been attached to a Seq ever since I got it. What a great pair.. SlayerBadger!
mayyammay
SunSpots wrote:
The polyend sequencer is so accessible I would even call it an inspiring instrument.

So very true!

I hope Polyend has plans to add new functionality. However, I hope they do so without messing up the beautiful UX. Let's hope they are able to figure it all out!
stikygum
nangu wrote:
stikygum wrote:
Can the Polyend Poly be used with other sequencers that output midi? I have a Synthstrom Deluge already and am curious if I could use this as an expander for that as well.

Yep. It does 5-pin midi, usb midi, and even has a usb host mode.

http://polyend.com/poly/

I should try mine with Deluge, but it’s been attached to a Seq ever since I got it. What a great pair.. SlayerBadger!

Great! I'm debating on getting the Poly or the Expert Sleepers FH-1. The Poly has 32 outputs. Are the Gate, Note, Velocity and Modulation lanes restricted to using them only for their labeled purposes, or could you just use all 32 CV outs to modulate anything in your Eurorack? For example, if I weren't sequencing notes, would I not be able to use the 8 Note CVs for other duties?
nangu
stikygum wrote:
The Poly has 32 outputs. Are the Gate, Note, Velocity and Modulation lanes restricted to using them only for their labeled purposes, or could you just use all 32 CV outs to modulate anything in your Eurorack? For example, if I weren't sequencing notes, would I not be able to use the 8 Note CVs for other duties?

It isn't that configurable. You can set which MIDI controller number the last row (modulation) responds to using DIP switches on the back of the module, but that's it.

That means it's really simple to use- the manual is only two pages long, and the second page is just a list of which DIP switch settings to use in order to select the MIDI controller number.

Quote:
Outputs: • 8 Gate Outputs (0-12V) • 8 Pitch Outputs (0-12V, V/oct.) • 8 Velocity Outputs (0-12V) • 8 Modulation Outputs (0-12V, selectable CC message 0-127 using DIP switch on the back panel)
stikygum
nangu wrote:
stikygum wrote:
The Poly has 32 outputs. Are the Gate, Note, Velocity and Modulation lanes restricted to using them only for their labeled purposes, or could you just use all 32 CV outs to modulate anything in your Eurorack? For example, if I weren't sequencing notes, would I not be able to use the 8 Note CVs for other duties?

It isn't that configurable. You can set which MIDI controller number the last row (modulation) responds to using DIP switches on the back of the module, but that's it.

That means it's really simple to use- the manual is only two pages long, and the second page is just a list of which DIP switch settings to use in order to select the MIDI controller number.

Quote:
Outputs: • 8 Gate Outputs (0-12V) • 8 Pitch Outputs (0-12V, V/oct.) • 8 Velocity Outputs (0-12V) • 8 Modulation Outputs (0-12V, selectable CC message 0-127 using DIP switch on the back panel)

Awesome, thanks for the input. I realize I want the Poly because it's more straight forward than the FH-1. I like dedicated stuff, not jack of all trades modules.

Now I gotta find a place that has them for a good deal. I'm guessing they're $399 everywhere. The only place I saw was Vintage King Audio, but they have to special order this I think. Actually is this thing out?
nangu
stikygum wrote:
The only place I saw was Vintage King Audio, but they have to special order this I think. Actually is this thing out?

It’s out. Got mine along with a pair of SEQs last July. SlayerBadger!

Polyend shipped everything using EMS (which goes surprisingly fast) so buying directly from them might be your quickest way of getting one.

I don’t know of any US shops that have stock on hand, but I’m pretty well set so I haven’t really been keeping track.
stikygum
nangu wrote:
stikygum wrote:
The only place I saw was Vintage King Audio, but they have to special order this I think. Actually is this thing out?

It’s out. Got mine along with a pair of SEQs last July. SlayerBadger!

Polyend shipped everything using EMS (which goes surprisingly fast) so buying directly from them might be your quickest way of getting one.

I don’t know of any US shops that have stock on hand, but I’m pretty well set so I haven’t really been keeping track.

You had to pay import taxes and all that right? I think I may go with Vintage King Audio, because it's a flat rate of $399 out the door.
nangu
You don't have to pay import tax on anything that costs less than $800.

Go ahead and order direct.

I don't know anything about Vintage King, but if they don't have any in stock, they'll be ordering direct, just like you could..
stikygum
nangu wrote:
You don't have to pay import tax on anything that costs less than $800.

Go ahead and order direct.

I don't know anything about Vintage King, but if they don't have any in stock, they'll be ordering direct, just like you could..

I contacted Vintage King Audio, they showed me an invoice of $435, which includes tax and free shipping. Wouldn't I have to pay some sort of tax purchasing direct or would it be $399 flat.

The Polyend website does say it's $399, which includes $75 VAT and they off free shipping. And since it's in USD, I won't be charged a PayPal exchange rate fee. Could this be true? If so, I think I'm going to proceed.
nangu
You shouldn't need to pay any tax, including VAT - VAT is only for people who live in Europe.

I think the price has always been $399 and the thing where their cart system is mentioning VAT is just some kind of mixup, but you could certainly email them and ask about it.
Ptbarnum
Has anyone here got experience with the Polyend Seq vs. the squarp pyramid? I’d love to hear pros and cons of both.
Thanks!
stikygum
nangu wrote:
You shouldn't need to pay any tax, including VAT - VAT is only for people who live in Europe.

I think the price has always been $399 and the thing where their cart system is mentioning VAT is just some kind of mixup, but you could certainly email them and ask about it.

Ok, I'm going to go direct if I get it.

I just realized I've overlooked the CV.OCD. I need to look into that one a little more to see if it's too configurable or too much setup for my taste.
discohead
Does the Poly module do any smoothing or interpolation of the MIDI CC values like the FH-1 and Shuttle Control do? I'm guess that maybe it doesn't since it's sort of intended for their step sequencer. But it would be nice for MIDI LFO's from my OT.
peterpanderretter
Did anybody already tried it to combine with the Octatrack?
dhoinjo
A bit confused about the cv output. On the site and in the manual I read 12v/1v/oct. Does it send 1v/oct over 12 octaves or can you choose between Eurorack/moog calibrarion. In case of the latter: how do you do that and what is the default setting?
pzoot
For people using the Poly, can you address multiple inputs at once? For example could I use an Octatrack with DIN for Ch1-4 and an iPad or computer to control 5-8 at the same time?
pzoot
The answer to my question is ‘yes’ for those interested

Just got the Poly interface. Wow. So simple, but so powerful. I’m getting rid of my sequencers!!

I have had some bad luck (or skill) in the past with the more complicated ways of interfacing midi (or audio) to cv, from power to configuration. But I’ve always loved and used Numerology - my dreams to use with my modular always disappointed by hardware challenges.

The Poly is ridiculously simple to set up (remember to set the switches the way you want before putting in the case!) and you get 8x4 channels (I feel confident saying that’s enough for my setup)! The ability to use a step sequencer like Numerology or just record (and edit) midi clips in bitwig (or other daw), including harmonies, rhythmic counterpoints, polyrhythms, morphing, pattern change and unlimited memory, is a game changer for me personally. It’s not flexible in its routings, so perhaps there are better options for others, and doesn’t send audio rate signals obviously ... but for me simple was exactly what i needed to trust computer/modular interaction again. Great module!! Makes everything around it better if that’s the way you like to work

(And it also arrived from Poland 3 days after ordering in NY)
2disbetter
Excellent pzoot! I'm glad it is working out!

2d
dhoinjo
guess I will take the plunge as well then. thumbs up
pzoot
2disbetter wrote:
Excellent pzoot! I'm glad it is working out!

2d

Yes! Thanks for the advice 2d!!!
pzoot
In case it's interesting to anyone, here is a file showing the "template" I've set up with the Poly. I show each Poly channel in a different row to make it easier for me to read (I don't have 8 Polys!). And I don't show any modules that are not part of the template.

For my accompanying Five12 Numerology template, I have 8 corresponding Stacks. Each Stack has a Mono Note sequencer, an interval sequencer (for transposing the Mono Note) and a modulation sequencer (for controlling the Mod output of the Poly). Everything is controlled with one (soon to be two) Launchpad Mini using Five12's incredible controller script.

I run an ER-M Multiclock plug in out from Numerology to clock a Pamelas Ol' Workout, Knight's Gallop and Voltage Block too. And record multitrack live into Bitwig.

At some point, I'll create a similar template directly in Bitwig using Numerology VST instances and another set of 8 midi clip tracks. Just trying to keep as simple as possible for now

Both the Euro and the Numerology templates are subject to change on a whim ... they're both modular ... but it's a nice, fast, easy, predictable blank slate to start composing from. I can't imagine anything with a better combination of Power and Ease of Use for my personal preferences and workflow.

Enjoy!
dhoinjo
Just got mine yesterday. It is fantastic. No manual diving because it is so simple but instant complex sequences thanks to the many outputs. Together with the Octatrack it is a dream team.

SlayerBadger!
sharonsr
Would love to get some input from Poly user regardless the 12v tracking.

Currently have mother32 and QMI2 for midi to cv.

With mother32 , the range is -5v/0/+5v .so basically all I need is to set the oscillator on moog or vco6 to middle C note , than I play 10 octaves from low to hi.
Pitch is perfect and also I can play it along other sample based instruments ,pianos /violins and so on. Very important factor for me.

With QMI2 .the range is 0-5v , so I need constantly set lowest notes ,and always to figure out how to be in the same "pitch" area as other sampled instruments. Very annoying .

So how does it work with 12v on poly,simple pitch the osc to their lowest C and Poly will offset the pitch up?

Also, if only using the midi from DAW ,do I need the 5v from power supply?

Thanks
2disbetter
Not sure what you mean. Poly's jacks output 0 to 10v.

Poly works with midi, so midi cc note 60 should always get you C4. You'll need to tune your oscillators around this.

The poly needs the 5v rail. The 5v power is for the USB ports and powers anything plugged into it, and has a max draw of 500ma as per Polyend.

Edited to fix bad information.

2d
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next [all]
Page 2 of 6