Newbie help with calibration

Discussion and support for Expert Sleepers' Silent Way software and hardware.

Moderators: Kent, os

jules
Ultra Wiggler

Newbie help with calibration

Post by jules » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi,

I try to make it simple:

Logic 9.1.1=> MOTU mk3 => ES_1 => AFG livewire.

Did everything according to manual and video, however, my calibration curve only starts around "0" / in the middle of the calibration windows, as compared to bottom left as seen of the tutorial videos... Did I loose the negative voltage?
Got to say that I can calibrate over 3 octaves, but still...

And the most annoying thing: is the pitch or other parameters sent by silent way voice controller, bound to the volume of the track???
If I change the volume of the track it changes the pitch. I could live with that, but the master volume of the project also changes the pitch.
Any work-around?

Thanks for any help.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:47 pm

If you refer to the ES-1 manual, you'll see it ships configured as AC-coupled, unipolar. Since you have a MOTU interface, you should change the jumpers to DC-coupled (and don't use the AC Encoder plug-in). That will get your negative voltages back.

Changing the volume of a track affects the level of the signal going out. If the signal is a pitch CV, that's exactly as if you'd fed the CV through an attenuator module i.e. it will certainly affect the pitch.

jules
Ultra Wiggler

Post by jules » Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:17 pm

Thank you very much.
And once again... READ THE MANUAL! I'm such an idiot..

For the volume thing, I'll have to think about a way to isolate silent way tracks, so they could be independent from the master volume, somehow.

Edit:
Don't know if it had been mentioned: amongst things you can calibrate with silent way: the uLFO from bubble sound... 6 octaves in "high mode". Now I can communicate with elephants.

os
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by os » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:03 pm

Cool, glad to help.

uLFO is a new one- good to know.

Return to “Expert Sleepers”