MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index

FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler Blog & NewsMW News   Muff Wiggler StoreMW Store 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

The new 2164 Korgasmatron Dual VCF
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Author The new 2164 Korgasmatron Dual VCF

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

I wanted to show off my new MS-20 filter clone. Like the MOTM 420, the Frostwave Resonator, and several others, this filter is based on the later version of the MS-20 filter. However, unlike all the other clones, this one is not a direct (or indirect) copy of the LM13600 OTAs-and-buffers topology of the original. Instead, it is based on the SSM2164 quad VCA chip, and realizes the same transfer function with a VCAs-and-integrators topology. The exponential CV response of the 2164 VCAs obviates the need for exponential converter circuitry. Also, unlike the LM13600-based designs, this filter does not add dc offsets to the signal, and therefore does not require AC coupling capacitors in the signal path.

I've also added a new feature: adjustable limiting voltages in the resonance feedback loops. One problem with the original design (and the clones, I think) is that the resonance amplitude is limited to only 1.8V, and as a result the input signal attenuator has to be set pretty low in order to hear any resonance at all in lowpass mode. My new amplitude control eliminates this problem, and now robust resonance can be obtained without sacrificing signal strength.

Finally, the PCB contains two complete MS-20 style filter circuits, each with all the same features of other popular clones, but with a few additional features as well, including both unipolar and bipolar CV controls, separate three-channel mixer output with optional level control, and optional fine tuning.

A picture of my 4U prototype panel is shown below. This is just one of many panel possibilities, and even this one is missing some of the features available on the PCB for lack of space.

I've also attached some sound clips for your listening pleasure. I'm not much of a production engineer, and all I've got is a little Behringer mixer with no effects and an obsolete version of Cakewalk, so apologies in advance for the crappy sound quality. The last one is my shameless attempt to reproduce the second soundclip on the MOTM 420 webpage with a single filter (the one on the right, if you're curious). This was recorded as a .wav but converted later to an .mp3, so the sound isn't so good, but hopefully the character of the filter still comes through. The other three make use of a triple LFO and my recently redesigned version of Ken Stone's CGS analog shift register, and show some of the formant effects one can achieve with the two Korgasmatron filters in series. However, these only scratch the surface of what this beasty is capable of.

Let me know if you're interested in a handmade PCB.

fonik

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
I wanted to show off my new MS-20 filter clone. Like the MOTM 420, the Frostwave Resonator, and several others, this filter is based on the later version of the MS-20 filter. However, unlike all the other clones, this one is not a direct (or indirect) copy of the LM13600 OTAs-and-buffers topology of the original. Instead, it is based on the SSM2164 quad VCA chip, and realizes the same transfer function with a VCAs-and-integrators topology. The exponential CV response of the 2164 VCAs obviates the need for exponential converter circuitry. Also, unlike the LM13600-based designs, this filter does not add dc offsets to the signal, and therefore does not require AC coupling capacitors in the signal path.

impressing.

Quote:
I've also added a new feature: adjustable limiting voltages in the resonance feedback loops. One problem with the original design (and the clones, I think) is that the resonance amplitude is limited to only 1.8V, and as a result the input signal attenuator has to be set pretty low in order to hear any resonance at all in lowpass mode. My new amplitude control eliminates this problem, and now robust resonance can be obtained without sacrificing signal strength.

brilliant

Moog$FooL$

hup hup!!!

another good one Doc., keep 'em comin'!!

Rockin' Banana! SlayerBadger! Play Him Off, Keyboard Cat. applause

numan7

thumbs up right-on doctor e&s - vcf perfection!!! woah hmmmm.... let's see now... maybe i could build just a *small* hihi 5u format system... diy... hmmmm.... dang! tempting.... tempting... hmmm.....

anyways, if there were a nobel synthesis prize, this brilliant design would certainly deserve to be on the list!!! applauseapplauseapplause

kudos,
n7

ndkent

Good work!

Just wanted to mention that adding "tron" to the name at this point makes one, well me at least, assume you were using hacked Monotrons,

Synthbuilder

ndkent wrote:
Just wanted to mention that adding "tron" to the name at this point makes one, well me at least, assume you were using hacked Monotrons,

While I thought of the young Jane Fonda... although it was Klute that did it for me.

Tony

Moog$FooL$

Synthbuilder wrote:
ndkent wrote:

While I thought of the young Jane Fonda... although it was Klute that did it for me.

Tony

lolspew

well at least you're not thinking of an old Jane Fonda....... just wish i knew who or what Klute is??? hmmm..... what was the name of that film??

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

Moog$FooL$ wrote:
well at least you're not thinking of an old Jane Fonda....... just wish i knew who or what Klute is??? hmmm..... what was the name of that film??

...uh, Klute?

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

Synthbuilder wrote:
ndkent wrote:

Well, Tony, you're close. However, I was thinking more Diane Keaton.

nerdware

A very tasty clone! I love the demos too. Thanks. For anyone wondering about that film ref... Klute on IMDB.

russma

...or the good doctor's reference to the "Orgasmatron" from "Woody Allen's film "Sleeper."

thumbs up

keykeyeyekit

This filter drips with awesome.

Moog$FooL$

saw a post on Matrix about this very module.

go Doc. go!!

Rockin' Banana! SlayerBadger! Rockin' Banana!

transfixer

woah woah woah w00t w00t w00t

great sound, nice name!
could it be shrinked into euro format?

zombie

Synthbuilder

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
However, I was thinking more Diane Keaton.

Ah... that orgasmatron from Sleeper. I remembered it's usage in the earlier and cheesy film Babarella (that's the Jane Fonda reference) It's the machine that the evil Duran Duran uses on her to 'torture' her. But I see from Wiki it isn't referred to as the orgasmatron but the 'excessive machine'.

And Klute? Ruddy excellent film. Haven't seen it for years though... so it may have aged somewhat.

Tony

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

transfixer wrote:
great sound, nice name!

Thanks, and thanks!

transfixer wrote:
could it be shrinked into euro format?

I think so. I'm still waiting to hear what the maximum allowable PCB dimensions are for Euro format. My current board is 2.1" x 6.6" which is a little bit long for Euro, I think. I can probably make it about 4" x 4" with some changes to the layout. If it comes to that, I may bite the bullet and get proper boards made professionally. I'm hesitant to do board-mounted pots, because that really locks you into a certain format, and also because only a small fraction of the total pots could be accomodated on the board, so really what's the point?

If you would like to volunteer to tell me what the board size limits are for Euro, I'll think about shrinking my board to fit.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

This is the board, by the way. As you can see, things are pretty tight. The two filter circuits are essentially mirror images of each other on opposite sides of the "chip axis". However, I think I could break the circuit at a couple of spots and make the board wider and shorter.

Junk Rhythm

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

I think so. I'm still waiting to hear what the maximum allowable PCB dimensions are for Euro format. My current board is 2.1" x 6.6" which is a little bit long for Euro, I think. I can probably make it about 4" x 4" with some changes to the layout. If it comes to that, I may bite the bullet and get proper boards made professionally. I'm hesitant to do board-mounted pots, because that really locks you into a certain format, and also because only a small fraction of the total pots could be accomodated on the board, so really what's the point?

If you would like to volunteer to tell me what the board size limits are for Euro, I'll think about shrinking my board to fit.

On my cases (Elby Subracks) the space between mounting rails is 112.5mm. I would shave off 4mm to allow for a little extra space bringing us to 108.5mm. This would provide a bit more ease in moving modules in and out of the system.

Doepfer's A100P6 cases have a useable depth of 80mm from the front panel to the PSU in the rear of the case. In the sections that do not contain the PSU, the depth is 100mm from the front panel to the rear of the case.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

Junk Rhythm wrote:
On my cases (Elby Subracks) the space between mounting rails is 112.5mm. I would shave off 4mm to allow for a little extra space bringing us to 108.5mm. This would provide a bit more ease in moving modules in and out of the system.

Doepfer's A100P6 cases have a useable depth of 80mm from the front panel to the PSU in the rear of the case. In the sections that do not contain the PSU, the depth is 100mm from the front panel to the rear of the case.

Who came up with this midget format, anyway? angry
It looks like I'll have to get this board down to about 4" x 5". That's doable, but not for a couple of weeks, when things at work settle down a little bit.

emdot_ambient

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

hihi Europeans apparently.

Awesome module, BTW!

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

emdot_ambient wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:

hihi Europeans apparently.

Awesome module, BTW!

Touche! (and thanks!)

emdot_ambient

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
...I may bite the bullet and get proper boards made professionally...

As in, available for others to purchase? 'Cause I'd definitely go for one.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

emdot_ambient wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
...I may bite the bullet and get proper boards made professionally...

As in, available for others to purchase? 'Cause I'd definitely go for one.

Actually, you can buy one now, but it'll be one of my handmade ones. In fact, I sold two just lastnight. I'm (stupidly) charging only $20 (US) + $5 (US) shipping. It'll be one-sided, 2" x 6.6", with tinned traces, but NO silkscreening or through-hole plating -- exactly the same as the board in the pictures below. I'll also send the jumper kit so you don't have to mess with cutting the jumpers to size, and enough documentation to get you through it (it's actually a fairly straightforward build).
Send me a private message if you want to buy a board, cause I'm takin' orders now!

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

In addition to handmade boards, I thought it would also be nice to offer handmade panels like the one in the picture. This would be in MOTM format, 4U wide, with black graphics baked on bare aluminum with Lazertran. They're very nice looking, and extremely durable.

If you're interested, send me a p.m.

fiveman

For those of us who make boards, are you going to put up a clean template for us to copy and iron on. The photos you posted give a useable image but less experienced etchers may have trouble making up good boards.

Nice layout. A pro version would be a great value and an easy build

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

fiveman wrote:
For those of us who make boards, are you going to put up a clean template for us to copy and iron on. The photos you posted give a useable image but less experienced etchers may have trouble making up good boards.

Nice layout. A pro version would be a great value and an easy build

Sorry I didn't do it before. Here's the transfer image. Just right-click and save as a picture. However, please confirm that it is exactly 2.1" x 6.6" before printing.
I notice that this picture does not have the clarity of the original. If you would like to use the original instead (and you have access to MS Powerpoint), send me a private message and I'll email you the real file.
Also, if you want to make this board, please send me a private message and I'll forward the build documentation.

Moog$FooL$

Woah!!

nice of you Doc.!! thumbs up

very generous..... nice shot in the arm for the MOTM/diy scene.

it's definitely my turn to buy you a beer or 2. Guinness ftw!

russma

Doc, did you seriously lay out that board in... PowerPoint?

eek!

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

idiotboy wrote:

eek!

Of course not, silly! lol

(I used Excel. I only used Powerpoint to scale the image for printing.)

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

...and the boards are flyin' out the door! Here's today's haul. Every one of 'em's goin' to a good home:

Luka

Are they solder masked?

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

Luka wrote:
Are they solder masked?

No, but they're tinned so they won't corrode.

Luka

What do you use and how do you do it?

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

Luka wrote:
What do you use and how do you do it?

For tinning, I use a product called "Liquid Tin". It's a dense electroless plating solution of stannous (tin(II)) fluoborate (Sn(BF4)2) in fluoboric acid (HBF4) with about 5% thiourea, and it costs about $35 for half a liter. After the board is etched and drilled, and the transfer crap is completely cleaned off with acetone, I polish the copper with steel wool, clean it thoroughly with soap and water, and dry it. Then, I put the board in a shallow glass or plastic dish and pour enough Liquid Tin over it to submerge it. After about 5 seconds, the copper is tin plated. I typically leave it in for about one minute. Then I take it out and immediately rinse it in hot tap water. This sets the tin plating. Finally, I carefully pour the Liquid Tin solution back into the bottle through a small funnel. One bottle of Liquid Tin is enough to plate hundreds of boards.

Luka

great thanks
i have been keen on doing this for a long time and had no idea how

russma

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
idiotboy wrote:

eek!

Of course not, silly! lol

(I used Excel. I only used Powerpoint to scale the image for printing.)

eek!

SRSLY? Excel? I don't know anything about laying out PCB's (or much else, for that matter), but as a graphic designer, the idea of doing it with Excel makes me spit up in my mouth a little bit.

Care to elaborate? or were you pulling my leg?

seriously, i just don't get it

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

idiotboy wrote:
SRSLY? Excel? I don't know anything about laying out PCB's (or much else, for that matter), but as a graphic designer, the idea of doing it with Excel makes me spit up in my mouth a little bit.

Care to elaborate? or were you pulling my leg?

seriously, i just don't get it

Remember, idiotboy: you asked for it! Straight from Excel, here is the layout of my 2164 Dual Log-Linear VCA:

Layout -- this is where I manually lay out the circuit from the schematic, in Excel, by hand (nothing automatic) using little pictures I've made up from lines, rectangles, etc. This is the longest, most laborious part of the job, but it actually doesn't take me that long, because I have a definite plan of attack, and all my layouts follow the same basic structure (rails down the middle, under a line of ICs (red = 15V, black = -15V, green = GND, pink (or other colours) for everything else), a row of free pads on either side for small caps or cross-opamp connections, then 0.4" long resistors and diodes pointing perpendicular with up to three traces running underneath, then the connector row, and finally a ground trace). My boards are always either 2.1" wide (single) or 4.0" wide (double). To lay out this board probably took about two hours of concentrated effort. The parts are easily copied and altered to give different values, etc. This particular board has some extra pads around the TL071 because a 79L05 can be used instead to provide a -5V source for linearization of the 2164s, including some extra bypassing caps (the yellow traces):

Parts -- all the lines are erased to give the parts layout (except the blue lines, which represent jumpers -- an unfortunate byproduct of my otherwise very convenient layout scheme):

Pads -- small for components, medium for connectors, large for the power connector, and very large for the mounting holes. These are generated by hand over the parts layout, then grouped and moved here:

Traces -- all the lines are recovered from the layout and moved here, then this composite is built up of five separate layers to give smooth corners and thicker power and ground traces:

Transfer -- the traces are copied and turned black and the pads are superimposed to give the final image for transfer:

Guide -- the transfer is put underneath a semi-transparent rectangle and the parts are copied on top to give a picture of what the actual board will look like when it is finished. I actually look at this image while stuffing and soldering the board, in lieu of having silkscreening on the PCB:

BOM -- all the parts are copied and lined up, then the list is assembled, with prices, including panel components (not shown). This is a big help for gathering up the parts for a build.

So, there you have it: a complete PCB layout in Excel, a la Dr. Sketch-n-Etch. Soapbox

mirri

Wow, pcb layouts done in excel... i do not think the spreadsheat guys had that in mind at first. thumbs up

russma

So, is there something specific about Excel that makes you prefer using it for PCB layout? I'm assuming there are apps better suited to this task.

TrashWaveform

I love this. Nice PCB.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

idiotboy wrote:
So, is there something specific about Excel that makes you prefer using it for PCB layout? I'm assuming there are apps better suited to this task.

There are at least a dozen schematic capture apps, many of them available for free, and at least five of which I have on my computer. However, they all require a steep learning curve, and are ultimately more time-consuming than my method. I also find doing it in Excel therapeutic and refreshingly DIY. Plus, it forces me to meditate deeply on the circuit at hand, and I often find things to change or improve during the layout process.

TrashWaveform wrote:
I love this. Nice PCB.

Thanks!

russma

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
idiotboy wrote:

..... I also find doing it in Excel therapeutic and refreshingly DIY. Plus, it forces me to meditate deeply on the circuit at hand, and I often find things to change or improve during the layout process...

Well then, if it 'aint broke, by all means don't fix it.

thumbs up

sduck

I would have never thought of excel being used for this, but now that you explain it, it makes sense.

Still haven't gotten around to your ASR pcb's - they're almost definitely up after the next big project, maybe. BTW folks, the good doctor's pcbs are first rate! (which reminds me to order some of these new pcb's)

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

sduck wrote:
I would have never thought of excel being used for this, but now that you explain it, it makes sense.

Most things do, after enough alcohol! Guinness ftw!

sduck wrote:
Still haven't gotten around to your ASR pcb's - they're almost definitely up after the next big project, maybe. BTW folks, the good doctor's pcbs are first rate! (which reminds me to order some of these new pcb's)

Thanks for the vote of confidence! love Now get busy, dammit! twisted

voicetospirit

Wow, that is awesome.

rico loverde

any boards available, id love one. very nice design...

rico

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

rico loverde wrote:
any boards available, id love one. very nice design...

rico

Why, thank ya kindly, rico! In fact, I've sold a pile of Korgasmatron boards already, and four Lazertran panels. I make them by hand on demand, so the supply is (in principle) endless!
The boards are going for $20 each + $5 shipping, and the panels are going for $36 each + $6 shipping. Send me yer email address and I'll send you a Paypal request.

Moog$FooL$

check check!!

thumbs up

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

So, has anyone who has bought a Korgasmatron board from me actually had a chance to build the module yet? I'd love to hear what you think. Post your thoughts right here, even if they're negative.

webb

pm sent!

Ekofisk

I'm moving houses so all my stuff is packed up, but the Korgasm is first on the bench!

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

Ekofisk wrote:
I'm moving houses so all my stuff is packed up, but the Korgasm is first on the bench!

Outstanding! Please let us know how it all turns out. I know a lot of "board collectors" who buy every new board they see but rarely build anything (you know who you are). There was a European fellow on this list who has bought a ton of boards from me (both custom boards and my own designs), and has built every single one into a module. However, he has been banned from Muff, so I guess we'll never find out about his experiences here (he builds absolutely beautiful modules, by the way -- It's a shame that the "powers that be" exercised their administrative prerogative so hastily).

(BTW, that's a truly creepy avatar you've got there, Ekofisk -- Great Job! applause )

sduck

Hmmm - I've been holding out on getting one of these pcb's precisely because I was starting to feel like a board collector. Although it's true that I've "collected" quite a few boards over the years, I wouldn't consider myself a "collector" in the bad sense, although it may well seem that way to you - I'm building things all the time, both for myself and others, and just can't keep up with all the new stuff that's coming along. And my priorities are constantly shifting - while my build of your ASR boards is still high on my priority list, some repairs have popped up, some key hard to find parts for long delayed projects have appeared, making them hard to resist, some easy peasy projects have been dumped in my lap, etc. So being number 2 on my priority list when number one keeps changing can make me appear like I'm not doing anything, which certainly isn't the case.

And you mentioned 2012 - he's known as Teknik over on the electro-music.com forums, and his excellent builds can be seen there in the diy section. He's still an active member there, and the style of that board seems to work better for him, as he's only gotten reprimands there on occasion, unlike here where he's been booted several times (and there was nothing hasty about those decisions - you haven't been around long enough to see what transpired)

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

sduck wrote:
Hmmm - I've been holding out on getting one of these pcb's precisely because I was starting to feel like a board collector. Although it's true that I've "collected" quite a few boards over the years, I wouldn't consider myself a "collector" in the bad sense, although it may well seem that way to you - I'm building things all the time, both for myself and others, and just can't keep up with all the new stuff that's coming along. And my priorities are constantly shifting - while my build of your ASR boards is still high on my priority list, some repairs have popped up, some key hard to find parts for long delayed projects have appeared, making them hard to resist, some easy peasy projects have been dumped in my lap, etc. So being number 2 on my priority list when number one keeps changing can make me appear like I'm not doing anything, which certainly isn't the case.

I wasn't talking about YOU, sduck! razz I do think, however, that for many synth diy'ers, our eyes are often bigger than our appetites, so to speak. I made a conscious decision at the very beginning not to buy any boards at all, and I'm also a legendary tightwad, so I wanted to build a synth without really spending any money. I also wanted to learn electronics, and I decided that the best way to do that would be to design my own circuits. This has probably saved me from having the proverbial $1,000 stack of boards gathering dust in a drawer.

sduck wrote:
And you mentioned 2012 - he's known as Teknik over on the electro-music.com forums, and his excellent builds can be seen there in the diy section. He's still an active member there, and the style of that board seems to work better for him, as he's only gotten reprimands there on occasion, unlike here where he's been booted several times (and there was nothing hasty about those decisions - you haven't been around long enough to see what transpired)

Well, I didn't mention him by "name" but I guess it's pretty obvious to whom I was referring. I did witness the last fatal exchange, so I can certainly understand the motivation for banning (although I do generally try to avoid getting indignant on behalf of others, as these things almost always work themselves out without the involvement of third parties). However, in 2012's defence, I must say that he has been a real pleasure to deal with one-on-one.

webb

Dr. Sketch-etc(h)

Did you get my email? smile

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

webb wrote:
Dr. Sketch-etc(h)

Did you get my email? smile

No. I sent a test message to the email address in the PM I sent you, and it worked. Try again.

webb

Weird, pm you my email address.

Moog$FooL$

say Doc...... when we gonna see some Frac love??? seriously, i just don't get it

hhhmmmmm.

do it!! or my bass & amp will be locked away!!!! razz

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

Moog$FooL$ wrote:
say Doc...... when we gonna see some Frac love??? seriously, i just don't get it

You mean, midget modules for people with tiny little fingers? twisted
Soon, man, very soon!

Moog$FooL$

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
Moog$FooL$ wrote:

You mean, midget modules for people with tiny little fingers? twisted
Soon, man, very soon!

meh meh meh

be careful.... you could end up insulting some potential customers. Russian Roulette

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

Ah, 'FooL$, you know I'm jes kiddin'! I love twiddlin' them tiny little knobs! love

Moog$FooL$

HEY!!!! angry angry angry angry

who said anything about lil' tiny knobs!!

razz razz hihi nuts

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

***** PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT *****

I have a spare 2164 Korgasmatron Dual VCF PCB for sale, if anyone is interested. It's the "Korgasmatron II" with triple mixed inputs to each filter, each input switchable to HP, N or LP mode. The board measures 2.1" x 6.3" (kinda big, but intended for 5U format panels). Full build details are available to the lucky purchaser.

Price: $25 + $5 shipping (US, Canada) or $10 shipping (anywhere else).

PM if you're interested.

I also have a 2164 Dual Log/Linear VCA board available. $20 takes it(same shipping as above, unless you buy both, in which case you just pay one shipping charge).

moellhoven

PM sent smile

emdot_ambient

Grrrr...was just trying to find this post the other day and for some reason couldn't find it on Search.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

The Korgo board is going to 3vcos (who still needs to send me his email address so I can send him a Paypal request -- 3vcos? are you there 3vcos?)

The VCA board goes to moellhoven. However, I will also make another Korgo board for him, so no worries! (moellhoven, I need an email address from you too!)

Any of my PCBs are available anytime. All you have to do is ask! It's just that I had a couple extras sitting around, and I'm not always able to take the time to make new ones. But I have time now.

Anybody who wants a Korgo board (2.1" x 6.3", $25), please PM me now, and I will make you one. Ditto with the 2164 dual VCA board (2.1" x 4.4", $20), the 2164 Multiplying Modulator board (2.1" x 4.0", $15), the updated ASR board (2.1" x 4.5", $20), the 2164 4P VCF board (4.0" x 4.9", $30), or the dual ADSR board (4.0" x 6.0", $30).

emdot_ambient

Really this thread should be in the DIY forum.

Just sayin' Mr. Green

emdot_ambient

Oh...you wouldn't happen to have SSM2164s to sell along with the PCBs, do you?

sduck

Ack - I just found out that the SSM2164's are impossible to find through normal channels. I assume UTsource will probably be able to sell them, for an extravagant price. I see that Allied has the SSM2164pz - will that work?

Oh - and it looks like Bridechamber got hacked or something - their address leads you to some titanium jewelry site - weird. Oh - never mind - edit - I had an old address in my bookmarks. It looks like Bridechamber has them - good.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

You can buy Coolaudio V2164 (which, so far as I know, are identical to SSM2164) from several sources. I buy mine from Small Bear Electronics in Brooklyn, NY. They are $3.50 each, $3.00 for 10 or more, a bit less in higher quantities. Here's the link:

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=737

I wish everybody would stop obsessing over the disappearance of the SSM2164. Coolaudio will continue to make the V2164 into the foreseeable future, in both TH and SMD. Coolaudio is a wholly owned Chinese subsidiary of Behringer, which uses many of those chips in their gear. They make many cool chips of use to synth nuts. I'm participating in a group buy of V2164s as well, led by Tim Parkhurst of Magic Smoke, who also sells them (for about the same price as SBE, I believe).

In any case, if you need a few with your boards, emdot, just let me know and I'll throw a few into your shipment. The boards you've ordered require one each, so three total. I'll sell them for $3.50 each (my cost).

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

emdot_ambient wrote:
Really this thread should be in the DIY forum.

Just sayin' Mr. Green

Yeah, probably, but I created this thread many months ago, before I really knew what was up with Muffwiggler. And, in any case, the Korgo board probably wouldn't fit behind any panel smaller than 5U anyway.

XCenter

@Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

Cool stuff!
Two short question:

Korgo - what pot values have u used, all 100k?
VCA - can you give a short description for the connection pads? What´s behind "1 2 3" etc.?

That would be great, so that looks like a smooth build to do. thumbs up

sduck

Oh - excellent! I see that Mammoth electronics also has them for 2.80$ each. Mammoth is starting to be one of my favorite shops! Dr, did you get my email? I may have sent it to an old address.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

XCenter wrote:
@Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

Cool stuff!
Two short question:

Korgo - what pot values have u used, all 100k?
VCA - can you give a short description for the connection pads? What´s behind "1 2 3" etc.?

That would be great, so that looks like a smooth build to do. thumbs up

Yes, the Korgo uses all 100k pots.

If you are looking at a VCA layout with "1 2 3" then you have an outdated version of the layout. This old layout suffers from audible bleedthrough of high-frequency audio signals from one channel to another. The new layout is completely different, and has no numbers on it.

If you would like to build any of my circuits, please PM or email me privately and I will send all of the relevant, up-to-date build docs.

XCenter

SlayerBadger!

PM´ed!

emdot_ambient

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
In any case, if you need a few with your boards, emdot, just let me know and I'll throw a few into your shipment.

I appreciate that, but now that I know Small Bear has them, I'll just get 10 or more from there.

I always forget about Coolauido. I've checked their site several times, but buying from them I think requires larger orders than I was willing to do. They have some really interesting chips (some BBDs and whatnot) but never see them mentioned in actual project BOMs.

thumbs up

Thanks for the info! It's motherfucking bacon yo

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

emdot_ambient wrote:
I always forget about Coolauido. I've checked their site several times, but buying from them I think requires larger orders than I was willing to do. They have some really interesting chips (some BBDs and whatnot) but never see them mentioned in actual project BOMs.

Yes, it's a pity, because I think their chips are first-rate. You know, they were a subsidiary of Intersil, originally, and they have some proprietary amplifier technology and stuff. I think people think their BOMs will have more "street cred" if they have "SSM" all over the place. Also, not all of the Coolaudio chips are available in small quantities. However, the 2164 is very cheap from them in quantities, so our strategy of trying to use it in everything will really pay off, I think.

mome rath

sduck wrote:
Mammoth electronics

holy crap

thanks sduck

xi-bot

is there a scheme and bom for the filter ?

thanks

o-live

magnific work that's a filter !

do you know where i can find ssm2164 ,i've see a clone by cool audio called v2164 it's good for do this module ?

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

I only use the Coolaudio chips (the "real" SSM ones are too dear and too rare, and they function identically).

This is actually a very old thread. I've redesigned this filter, and now it is the "Korgasmatron III". Check out the "2012 SDIY Gloat Thread" around mid May for details of this new module. sduck has built one of the new ones as well.[/b]

Cheradenine

The answer is just above your post, in short "yes" and "mammoth electronics" (edit : that's for the coolaudio, not the SSM - read too fast too d'oh! )

o-live

ok i have found your last version with multimode ,it's nanners nanners nanners Dead Banana

whaaaaaaaaaaaa

but not found pcb /scheme /Bom ...

o-live

and for the v2164 i have found it on small bear shop ,very cool ic

Moog$FooL$

yeah, pretty sure smallbear has them at a good/cheap price, not to mention all the other stuff they have.

Moog$FooL$

o-live wrote:

but not found pcb /scheme /Bom ...

maybe try to contact/PM the Dr. himself...... he's been doing this pcb. for folks for awhile.

thumbs up

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

Yeah, PM me. There is a group of wigglers building this right now (indeed, they should all be done by now). They are using 3U panels designed by sduck (there are pictures of his unit on Muffs and Flickr, as well). I personally think the spacing on that panel is kinda tight. I built mine in 4U. Someone else is making enquiries about getting a module or a stuffed board, so now's a good time.

o-live

pm sended thumbs up

sduck

Here's the new one -

Korgasmatron III front by sduck409, on Flickr

And yes, it's all a bit on the tight side. I'm not happy with the spacing after getting it all put together - you can't always predict exactly how knob spacing is going to work when you're just dealing with hole spacing. The top mode switch is too close to the AMP knob. Oh well. It still works well! And yes, this is an amazing device - the bandpass mode can take on a life of it's own if you throw some pitch cv at it.

This track features it, although used in an unconventional way - bandpass mode (just one side of the filter), right on the edge of resonance, being cv'd by an output of a klee sequencer. There are also both vco's in the buchla 258j clone cross modulating each other, both being driven by the other 2 outputs of the klee. Odd clocks and some other stuff is coming from a dual wogglebug.

[s]http://soundcloud.com/sduck409/balpa-faj[/s]

This same patch, with just some knob setting changes is in this video - very different sound from some very minor changes! - (hey hey we're the monkees!)

Moog$FooL$

Woggle Bug nodnod

i complement you too much in this thread...... oh well.

JohnLRice

we're not worthy we're not worthy

o-live

oh yes ,little monkey the sound is amazing !

decaying.sine

decaying.sine

The Korgo III sucks as a hat. Sorry Dave.

ringstone

decaying.sine wrote:
The Korgo III sucks as a hat. Sorry Dave.

I'm sure it would work when wearing a Muff's T-shirt. They make anything (and anyone) look good.

Cheers
Blair

decaying.sine

Blair is correct. The evening DID become more classy.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

I think it's quite fetching, actually.

I'm admiring all your braided wires. I never bother with that myself. I just bundle them together into clumps and hope for the best.

decaying.sine

I braided the the purple/yellow/orange last year. I did braid the red/black today so my digits are achy.

Do you like the ground bus bar? It seemed easier than wiring.

decaying.sine

BTW, the starburst trophy in the background was given to me for "Best Dad Ever." Just saying...

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

decaying.sine wrote:

You know what's even easier? Using metal open-frame jacks and letting the aluminum panel itself distribute ground to everything. hihi

decaying.sine

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
decaying.sine wrote:

You know what's even easier? Using metal open-frame jacks and letting the aluminum panel itself distribute ground to everything. hihi

*cough*modcanA*cough* Then that wouldn't be with the NASA standard we all aspire to here at this humble place.

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

decaying.sine wrote:
Dr. Sketch-n-Etch wrote:
decaying.sine wrote:

*cough*modcanA*cough* Then that wouldn't be with the NASA standard we all aspire to here at this humble place.

A-ha! I take one (or two for really big modules like the Korgo III) ground wires from the PCB to one (or two) of the jacks, and then rely on these to send the ground through the panel to the other jacks (and pots and switches). My panels are bare aluminum on the back, and the Neutrik open jacks I use have a large metallic surface area which kisses up tightly against the panel. Everything is very well grounded, and I never have problems with hum or noise as a result.

decaying.sine

Now you're just showing off. I but it hums a little. hihi

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch

decaying.sine wrote:
Now you're just showing off. I bet it hums a little. hihi

It doesn't hum; it fuckin' purrs.

The Hamburglar

sduck wrote:

Korgasmatron III front by sduck409

This is insanely awesome looking. Great job y'all.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> 5U Format Modules  
Page 1 of 5