terminal tedium (raspberry zero, pi2, pi3 codec / pd thing)

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

joebauer
Common Wiggler

Post by joebauer » Sun May 13, 2018 6:30 pm

eastwood wrote:Sorry in advance for a noob question, is there a way to output a trigger to an ADSR from the digital gates on the TT?

I'm using PD and trying to send a trigger to my Quadra.
Yup, it has two "digital" outputs, which you can use to send gates or triggers out. See, here for some details on the interfaces. This has some info on what the Pd externals do, including the one to send digital outputs (called "gate outputs" in this documentation).

eastwood
Learning to Wiggle

Post by eastwood » Mon May 14, 2018 3:15 am

@joebauer thanks for the help. It is working like a charm now, turns out it was my Quadra Expander that was plugged in wrong.

seanrieger
Learning to Wiggle

Post by seanrieger » Sat May 26, 2018 11:08 am

UPDATE: This was user error with the wrong resistor values: 4.7 Ohm instead of 4.7k. Thanks for all who helped.

Okay, I guess it's my turn to ask for some help. This is my second build. The first one didn't give me any issues, but I am stumped on this one. Everything on the unit runs except for the codec. I'm getting a "no soundcards found" error and it's not software or Pi related. (If I swap the pi with the TT hardware that works, everything works.) So it's my second TT module that is the issue. If you could check out the video, and offer some advice I would greatly appreciate it. (The video describes what I've tried, and what I think I have dialed in on)
[video][/video]

Also, the image I speak of in the video is here: TT_PCB_GERBER-GoogleDrive
Last edited by seanrieger on Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
- File Transfer Protocol | Music as dark as the world we live in.
My main rack on Modulargrid |
Instagram | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

koerby
Common Wiggler

martin brinkmann patches

Post by koerby » Thu May 31, 2018 3:41 pm

Hello,

Did someone of you manage to do run patches from www.martin-brinkmann.de
on the TT

They are pure gold, but unfortunately they don't really work.
The patch starts, but then the raspberry crashes immediately after .

Cheer
Marcus

koerby
Common Wiggler

Post by koerby » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:17 am

the problem is solved.
The CPU load was to high for the zero.
After some tweaking, the patch (7Tones1) runs like a charm

nevetsokyeron
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nevetsokyeron » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:40 am

I've run into some bleed over with Audio on a TT build.

Any ideas on where I should look to troubleshoot this?

One channel (R) is ok, the other one (L) bleeds some of R's signal. For example when I play a test sine.

Would this have something to do with "(not shown: right input is normalled to left input)" - (from the build docs - hardware basics)?

Which components would I investigate here?

thetechnobear
Wiggling with Experience

Post by thetechnobear » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:12 am

Is there a schematic for TT?

Ive created something similar for AE modular using a Bela Mini (pocket beaglebone), but I getting (switching?) noise due to taking power from the modular into the pocket beagle.

Im assuming the TT would have a similar issue with power, and I wondered how it was solved. inductor? regulator?

Id appreciate any pointers.

mxmxmx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mxmxmx » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:52 am

thetechnobear wrote:Is there a schematic for TT?
Ive created something similar for AE modular using a Bela Mini (pocket beaglebone), but I getting (switching?) noise due to taking power from the modular into the pocket beagle.

Im assuming the TT would have a similar issue with power, and I wondered how it was solved. inductor? regulator?

Id appreciate any pointers.
there's no schematic, no. but take a look here. that's fairly similar to the original version, except using a MP1469 instead of RECOM 785.0 1.0 (and inductors rather than diodes at the power entry points). in the original version, the LC filter sits in between the 785.0 and the ADP150 (and pi). nothing special, except maybe for the beefier converters.

ie: that's not so much a "solution" (to the sort of problem you describe), in so far the main reason for sub-regulating to 5V locally was that i didn't have a 5V bus on my PSU. it may help or not.

gerald
Common Wiggler

Post by gerald » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:56 pm

Question about input jitter. There are two parameters (deadband and smooth) that should help with noise on the ADC inputs, but maxing them out doesn't seem to help enough. I have resorted to dividing the input (0-4000) by 4, and making the result an integer, then doing whatever else I need to do with that value. This makes the "jitter points" fewer and farther between, but they're still there. And it makes the input 10 bits.

Can someone point me at a simple web-tutorial on numerical techniques to filter i/o? I have tried quite a few things in PD, but they often end up making things unresponsive. Maybe I should add some filter caps to the circuit?

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Post by mutronic » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:31 am

I wonder if you could design a TT with an ARM processor. Would that even be practical? Hackaday recent posted an article about a $1 arm processor, the Allwinner A12. Here's some documentation: http://dl.linux-sunxi.org/A13/A13%20Use ... -08%29.pdf

synthetek
Wiggling with Experience

Post by synthetek » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:53 pm

mutronic wrote:I wonder if you could design a TT with an ARM processor. Would that even be practical? Hackaday recent posted an article about a $1 arm processor, the Allwinner A12. Here's some documentation: http://dl.linux-sunxi.org/A13/A13%20Use ... -08%29.pdf

I just saw that article and TT was the first thing I thought of :lol:

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Post by mutronic » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:00 pm

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Post by mutronic » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:05 pm

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Post by mutronic » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:34 pm

I suppose a pi based version of this is coming out at some point.

https://www.digikey.com/en/maker/blogs/ ... winner-a13

mxmxmx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mxmxmx » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:29 am

mutronic wrote:I wonder if you could design a TT with an ARM processor. Would that even be practical?
possible: looks like it; practical: i don't know ... i haven't looked at the details/features, but considering the choice of SoM-type-things-with-unhorrible-form-factor to play around with (pocket beagle, pi zero, pi compute module, ... ), only the price looks somewhat appealing.

Vorg
Common Wiggler

Post by Vorg » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:31 am

Resurrecting the thread because I took the chance to update the Mouser cart since several components were in backorder or not available anymore:

https://www.mouser.com/ProjectManager/P ... CC3009A9D9

AccessID is: CC3009A9D9

BTW, if mxmxmx could double check it, that would be amazing! ;-)

squarewavesurfer
Common Wiggler

Post by squarewavesurfer » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:26 pm

Has anyone looked into this?

vcv rack on pi3 would be great if someone made a vcv module of the TT interface to route as you please.

https://mifki.com/blog/mirack-is-now-available/

t-b
Learning to Wiggle

Post by t-b » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:13 pm

totally agree - i think about it too

seismic
Common Wiggler

Post by seismic » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:16 am

koerby wrote:the problem is solved.
The CPU load was to high for the zero.
After some tweaking, the patch (7Tones1) runs like a charm
wondering what you changed on the 7tones1?

tried it on my pi zero, and it's dying from the cpu load :) but the drone sounds very nice.
-
i guess everybody has got cats.
-
..-- Seismic Industries --..

gerald
Common Wiggler

Post by gerald » Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:50 pm

I am trying to get a pi 3b+ working with the TT. Just like someone in the facebook group pointed out, It won't boot while connected to the TT. If you stagger the boot sequence - i.e. power the module, THEN power up the pi, it works.

What in the world could be causing this problem? Not booting = red power light, and no green light activity at all.

seismic
Common Wiggler

Post by seismic » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:41 am

unfortunately i can't tell you whats wrong with the 3B+. but would be interesting to know.

i hope the CM3 version i'm drawing is turning out ok-ish.. fingers crossed.
-
i guess everybody has got cats.
-
..-- Seismic Industries --..

mxmxmx
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mxmxmx » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:48 am

gerald wrote:I am trying to get a pi 3b+ working with the TT. Just like someone in the facebook group pointed out, It won't boot while connected to the TT. If you stagger the boot sequence - i.e. power the module, THEN power up the pi, it works.

What in the world could be causing this problem? Not booting = red power light, and no green light activity at all.
fwiw, i got hold of a pi 3 model A+ and it's not properly booting up either ... (TT w/ RECOM 785.0 1.0).

they recommend a 2.5A supply, so most likely it's just that. (no clue unfortunately what exactly causes the problem, in as much the first revision pi 3 would work just fine IIRC and supposedly the model A+ is "more power efficient")

gerald
Common Wiggler

Post by gerald » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:38 pm

I read that the pi checks if it has enough power during boot-up via I2C - maybe it uses the same address? I have powered the Pi 3b+ directly off a huge separate 5V supply (via the 5V jumper pin), and that didn't work either. I think the conflict is something besides power. Too bad - the 3A+ looks perfect for a TT too.
mxmxmx wrote: fwiw, i got hold of a pi 3 model A+ and it's not properly booting up either ... (TT w/ RECOM 785.0 1.0).

they recommend a 2.5A supply, so most likely it's just that. (no clue unfortunately what exactly causes the problem, in as much the first revision pi 3 would work just fine IIRC and supposedly the model A+ is "more power efficient")

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Post by mutronic » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:56 am

could I use a 1N5819HW in place of the sm5817PL diodes?

gerald
Common Wiggler

Post by gerald » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:45 pm

Still fighting to get a 3 B+ working. Here is where I think the problem lies -
"Due to the RPI3B+ new power chip, (which includes the under voltage detector) old software no longer will find under voltage info in the same I/O registers, as its now reads that info through I2C. This also means that the red power LED is now also under CPU control, so it can flash (even without a real power fail)"
From https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=58151.

I think that having other things (the TT-DAC) on I2C might have an address conflict with the I2C current sensor.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”