MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Doepfer Multicore and Addac Eurorack Bridge
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Author Doepfer Multicore and Addac Eurorack Bridge
zengomi
Mr. Green
Hainbach
I have the ADDAC bridge and I really enjoy patching with it. Makes patching cleaner and its easier to setup when I move the modular for video.
Paranormal Patroler
Got mine on order. I'm curious if sending digital signal (think MIDI) will work as fine as CV/audio signals. Will test and report back. hihi
starthief
I've got a pair of Doepfer Multicores set up now instead of my previous somewhat awkward mess, plus a Bastl multiple set up as a sort of trunk line to my audio interface.

The lengths of CAT5e that come with the modules are basically useless -- not even long enough to reach from one corner of my rack to the other, and one would be better just using ordinary patch cables at that length. So it cost me another $30 to get a couple of 8 foot CAT6 cables.

I wish the two big jacks were either on the top or bottom of the module -- or even duplicated on the back.

But it does the job, and it's kind of amazingly compact.
Foghorn
I was using 3 of these to run 4 long cables from rack to rack.
The multiples did the distribution at each rack.

I was connecting the 3 Grids triggers (actually gates) and the global clock to another case.
Now I bought two of these Doepfer a-180-9 modules that Shawn @ Analog Haven told me about.

I made some 8 ft. long cables at work where IT department has a crimper to install ends on cat5 cables.
I used Beldin 8 conducter shielded cable.
I only use it for triggers, gates and clocks.
It all works fine, but I probably wouldn't know if I got some extra triggering in this percussion case.
Now I can run Grids accents and a bunch of other clocks and trigger signals.
In theory I have to use the bottom jack first in order to have a ground connection, but I have 0 volt connections (below) between cases with 8 (or 10) gauge stranded wire connecting cases.

Foghorn

Maybe time to get an ADDAC 21U monster case so everything is together d'oh!

EDIT: I am actually using 3 of the Doepfer a-180-9 multicore modules with the top portion of one going to one case and the bottom portion of the one going to another case, but I do have the big 0 volt connections to ensure a ground connection.
And just with gates and triggers.
no_spleen
Has anyone tried either the Doepfer or the ADDAC with pitch CV?
starthief
no_spleen wrote:

I was just using the Doepfer for pitch CV, audio and triggers together without any trouble. The CV source was a CV.OCD though, and that seems to be fine with multing pitch to two or three VCOs where some sources aren't... so mileage may vary.
zengomi
no_spleen wrote:

Simple CV test of Doepfer (5-meter, CAT7 cable). No droop detected by my ears (using headphones).

Methodology

Sines from Furthrrrr Generator and ACL Variable Sync VCO, panned hard left and right. Tuned by ear so that there was no detectable beating.

ER-101 sequence (spanning 38 musical half steps) to buffered mult.
-Mult out to Furthrrrr Generator CV in (sometimes key in)
-Mult out to A-150-8 Octal VC Switch
-Mult out to A-180-9 Multicore to A-150-8

A-150-8 to ACL Variable Sync VCO

Thus, FG was constant, while ACL VS VCO was fed CV via 2 routes alternately.

Manual switching at various points, including during short loops to closely listen for beating.

Happily, no detectable beating throughout.

[Not intended as part of the test: ACL VS VCO sine was sent via same A-180-9 pair to Praxis Snake Charmer.]

Hope all of that makes sense whistlin'

I just realized that I inadvertently tested the A-150-8 Octal VC Switch for pitch anomalies.

Have now tested the ADDAC (5-meter cable) with the same set up. Same result.
Paranormal Patroler
Mylar posted a video using the ADDAC bridge for pitch CV and it looks great. Personally I like the amount of signals you can send with the 213. And I really like the possibility to have the modules all over the place with the "behind the scenes" expanders.

I also have a friend who uses the Doepfer and it seems fine. So either would do I guess.

EDIT

Here's Mylar's video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhd3SOVgLoN/?taken-by=addacsystem
Midiot
I just installed the ADDAC bridge 'system".... to connect my 2 separate racks.
(Analogue Haven now has them. USA, or order directly from ADDAC)

I installed the 213a main bridge (sold as a pair, including a 40inch (est) ribbon cable)
And the 213b extensions (satellites I call them....also sold as a pair, plus two 18+inch cables (est) one for each satellite)

This 16 channel connection system works perfectly, first try.

Best utility purchase for me so far, in 2018.

No more 4' cables -- tangled mess anymore... rack-to-rack...... just one ribbon cable.
~~~~~~
If needed, I could add another pair of 213b 'satellites', making it a 24 channel connection.

Midiot
I made a quick video description of how the ADDAC Bridge is connecting my rack(s). It's really quite simple.

starthief
Just today I experienced some nasty hum/noise when connecting my Mantis to my audio interface through my A180-9. Didn't matter whether I used the top or bottom connector. I'm using 8-foot Cat-6 cables. Going through a long patch cable instead of the Multicore was fine.

I'm not sure why it should start now since I didn't change anything, but there it is. I have everything powered through the same 1U rackmount power strip.

I wound up rigging up a 14 gauge wire to spade terminals on screws on my main rack (where the interface is) and the front panel of my Mantis, and that cleared it right up.
starthief
I'll use the accidental double post to add: it occurs to me I just changed from a passive USB KVM switch for my Teletype, to a Logitech Unifying dongle. Maybe the USB cable was grounding the Mantis to something relevant. hmmm.....
chiavere
Are any Doepfer A-180-9 multicore users experiencing crosstalk between channels?

I am getting crosstalk with audio channels that are next to one another which have continuous audio coming through them.

I'm about to write Doepfer, and will let you know what I hear back, but am curious if others are experiencing this.

FYI, on the module's page it says, "If longer RJ45 cables are used the transmission performance and the cross-talk between signals depend upon the length and the quality/shielding of the used RJ45 cables. It's recommended to separate audio signals from digital signals (e.g. the upper section "1-8" for audio and CV signals, and the lower section "A-F" for digital signals). But from our experience that necessary only for very long cables (> 2 m)."

I am using a 6 ft. cable, so perhaps that is the issue - maybe I will try a CAT7 shielded cable (I'm using this: http://a.co/d/eEASUSh ).

I'll see what Doepfer says.
chiavere
help re: Doepfer A-180-9 multicore crosstalk:

Here's more info from the Doepfer website:

"If the enclosed network cables are replaced by other ones pay attention
that shielded cables are used. Otherwise the common GND connection is
missing!

It's difficult to predict how the modules behave when another network cable
is used. It depends upon the internal structure and length of the cable. We
recommend network cables CAT7 or CAT8 because these are made of four
separately shielded wire pairs.

One simply has to try out if the used network cable is suitable for the
application. One has to experiment a bit and possible use other channels to
obtain better results. For neighbouring channels the chance for an unwanted
crosstalk is higher than for more distant channels because in this case the
separate shielding is effective.

In principle the module can be used for all kind of signals: control
voltages, audio and digital signals (like Clock, Gate, Start, Stop, Reset).

If longer RJ45 cables are used the transmission performance and the
cross-talk between signals depend upon the length and the quality/shielding
of the used RJ45 cables. It's recommended to separate audio signals from
digital signals (e.g. the upper section "1-8" for audio and CV signals, and
the lower section "A-F" for digital signals). But from our experience that
necessary only for very long cables (> 2 m)."

I have tried 5 different 10' CAT5 & CAT7 cables so far (I haven't tried CAT8), and all have significant crosstalk at higher audio-rate frequencies (at lower frequencies, audio and otherwise, there seems to be no problem).

Does anyone know how to source/research the crosstalk specs of an RJ45 cable, and/or know of a high-spec cable I could try?

Thanks! help
starthief
I get some crosstalk with my 8-foot CAT6 cables but it's very situational, and does sometimes go away just from moving connections around. I've also had to run a separate ground wire to connect the front panels of my two cases.
chiavere
starthief wrote:
I get some crosstalk with my 8-foot CAT6 cables but it's very situational, and does sometimes go away just from moving connections around. I've also had to run a separate ground wire to connect the front panels of my two cases.

Interesting, thanks - were you getting ground loop hum, or ?

I have a 10' CAT8 cable on the way, figured I'd give it one more go... seriously, i just don't get it

Will report back after I test it.
ersatzplanet
chiavere wrote:
Are any Doepfer A-180-9 multicore users experiencing crosstalk between channels?

I am getting crosstalk with audio channels that are next to one another which have continuous audio coming through them.

I don't own one of these yet but can a owner of one answer a simple question for me? Do the Doepfer units have Normalizing jacks that are not using the normalizing pins (Doepfer used to always use normalizing jacks just to keep the SKU's down and the parts buys big)? If so, I thought of a simple mod that may help with the crosstalk in some situations. Take ALL of the unused normalizing pins and short them to ground. That way any unused jacks on the panel become ground lines and act as a partial shield. Also if you can't get a CAT cable with the ground connection, all you have to do is not use one jack and a ground connection is made. If you worry about ground loops (which you shouldn't since there is a connecting ground anyway) you can connect the ground only on one of the two modules (then of course you have to use a CAT cable with a ground connection).

This all of course depends on the jacks being used.

I am going to make a DIY version of these using some chopped up uZeus ribbon power buss spares (the male shrouded power connectors) I have mounted through a panel with 8 jacks. I will be making them with Front Panel Express if anyone is interested in the designs, I will post them. They only have 8 connections (every other line in the ribbon will be ground) but that is enough for me and they should be cheap to make since I already have a spare TipTop power buss cable which has five connectors on them.
BTG
Anyone have experience connecting Intellijel 1U Octalink w/ Doepfer (a supported configuration in the Octalink manual)? I have a 7U drum case that I'd like to connect to my studio cases using Cat7 vs. the tangle of cables I have right now.
Hovercraft
Have Octalinks in all my 7U performance cases, and a mixer skiff with two of the Doepfer Multicores. Works great—no issues. Just make sure you use shielded cables.
S0210
Hi,

Is there anyone using Doepfer A-180-9 to send CVs to a laptop? I don't find any VCV module processing the information sent to the Ethernet port but I'd love to know if someone secrectly came up with a similar plug-in. Or the other way around. (Like redirecting laptop audio output to the Ethernet port and so making it available for the Eurorack modules.)

Regards, Andras
starthief
It's not an ethernet port, it just uses the same physical connector.
S0210
starthief wrote:
It's not an ethernet port, it just uses the same physical connector.

It's clear. But I hoped that my laptop is clever enough to handle the voltage received on any of the inputs (i.e. Ethernet port) regardless if it's digital/analog/whatever.

(It's just that I have plenty of Ethernet cables around but not a single jack audio cable that is long enough. cool )

Regards, Andras
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 [all]
Page 4 of 4