New Doepfer Envelopes A-141-4, A-140-2, A-142-2

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

albiedamned
Super Deluxe Wiggler

New Doepfer Envelopes A-141-4, A-140-2, A-142-2

Post by albiedamned » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:46 am

Apologies if there's already a thread about these, but I couldn't find one.

http://www.doepfer.de/a1414.htm
http://www.doepfer.de/a1402.htm
http://www.doepfer.de/a1422.htm

They all say available in either June or July.

The A-140-2 in particular interests me. Two full, independent ADSR envelopes in 8 HP, with voltage control over some or all of the time parameters. You can control which parameters are affected by the CV input via jumper settings. I'd probably set it to control decay or maybe decay + release.

A-141-4 looks like a good module for polyphony. A-142-2 looks real interesting too. It sacrifices the sustain and independent release setting of the A-140-2, but it gives you built-in VCAs!

Stuff I did by myself: https://soundcloud.com/albiedamned21133
Stuff I did with my pretend band: https://soundcloud.com/borisandnatasha

Nino
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Nino » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:19 am

I found this on Doepfers website about the A-140-2 dual ADSR, which is really nice:
By means of internal jumpers one can select which time parameters are controlled by the CVT input (e.g. D only or D+R or A+D+R) and in which direction (i.e. if an increasing CVT shortens or stretches the time parameter in question).

GNSDG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by GNSDG » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:27 am

Very interested to see these popping up in stores.
WTB: Your 54HP lunchbox!

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:28 pm

Nino wrote:I found this on Doepfers website about the A-140-2 dual ADSR, which is really nice:
By means of internal jumpers one can select which time parameters are controlled by the CVT input (e.g. D only or D+R or A+D+R) and in which direction (i.e. if an increasing CVT shortens or stretches the time parameter in question).
Yes, but I'm pretty disappointed that they implemented those duck-CV input instead of simple CV inputs for the VCAs that break the internal connection to the envelopes. And instead of the manual gate buttons (which probably are a PITA to push anyway if you have cables pluggd into the module) there should be the envelope outputs. This way you could use the VCAs and envelopes independent from each other.
This module could have been an instabuy for me but these design choices are pretty much dealbreakers.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:02 pm

R.U. Nuts - I think you are mixing the functions of the A-140-2 and the A-142-2.

The A-140-2 looks amazing. Two ADSR's in a small package w/ cv over whichever parameter you want to control. I was looking at buying two each of the Freq. Central CEM (Pro One) envelopes, but I can get this for the price of one of those.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: New Doepfer Envelopes A-141-4, A-140-2, A-142-2

Post by dubonaire » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:21 pm

albiedamned wrote: The A-140-2 in particular interests me. Two full, independent ADSR envelopes in 8 HP, with voltage control over some or all of the time parameters. You can control which parameters are affected by the CV input via jumper settings. I'd probably set it to control decay or maybe decay + release.

A-141-4 looks like a good module for polyphony. A-142-2 looks real interesting too. It sacrifices the sustain and independent release setting of the A-140-2, but it gives you built-in VCAs!
Yes I think he made the A-141-4 to go with the A-111-4 Quad Precision VCO, the A-105-4 Quad Poly VCF and the A-132-8 Octal Poly VCA.

And then it looks he thought he may as well build on that and offer some other variants.

R.U.Nuts
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by R.U.Nuts » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:13 pm

MindMachine wrote:R.U. Nuts - I think you are mixing the functions of the A-140-2 and the A-142-2.
I don't think so: I visited the Doepfer homepage to check this: A-142-2 is a dual AD/ASR envelope - VCA combo. But instead of having gate/trigger input, timing CV input and envelope output for the EGs and signal- and CV-input and signal output for the VCAs, Doepfer omitted the envelope outputs in favour of manual gate buttons which are probably impossible to hit with cables patched. Additionaly they hardwired the outputs of the envelopes to the CV ins of the VCAs and added inverted CV inputs which are mixed with the envelope CV in favour of simple CV inputs with switching jacks that break the internal normalization of EG out > VCA CV in.
Both this means that you can't use the envelopes and the VCAs independent from each other.
You're stuck using the envelopes exclusively for the built in VCAs and if you want to use another modulation source for a VCA you cannot use the corresponding envelope because there's no way of stopping it from modulating the VCA.

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:25 pm

^ I see. They both share the same jumpers, but Nino was only referring to the A-140-2, which does not have the VCA's or Gate Buttons that you referenced.

I am pretty interested in that A-140-2. Simple design, but with the little adder of a CV for a time parameter.

The A-142-2 is versatile beyond my needs. Glad to see Dopefer kicking out these new complex, smaller designs in VCO's, ADSR's, etc.

albiedamned
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by albiedamned » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:24 am

Yeah, I'm going to buy an A-140-2 when it becomes available. I had been planning to get a second Contour, but this will give me two envelopes in the same space with full ADSR (Contour combines Decay and Release on a single knob). I'm sure it's going to be a bit fiddly with so many knobs in such a small space, and it doesn't have the shape control that the Contour has. Contour is a really nice module, but I already have one so I'll get the A-140-2 instead of a second.
Stuff I did by myself: https://soundcloud.com/albiedamned21133
Stuff I did with my pretend band: https://soundcloud.com/borisandnatasha

slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by slumberjack » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:11 am

nice to see doepfer goes dense.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut

Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

ben_hex
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ben_hex » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:37 am

The quad looks great, very much interested in their quad/poly range.

The 142-2 looks interesting. Reading the site the duck seems more like a mute than actually patching up a more variable duck/sidechain type patch. Which is a shame. A dual ducking unit with envelope/VCA for other use would be great.
All DivKid video series to be found here!
http://www.youtube.com/divkidvideo

Monotremata
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Monotremata » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:05 am

The A-140-2 looks rad! Its kinda like two of the Blue Lantern ADSR I have in the same size package. All its missing is a linear/exponential switch, and the looping mode. The Blue Lantern has a "Time" CV too, and a manual knob for "Time", but theres no manual or even one page PDF for it anywhere that tells you what anything on the module actually does.

andybizarre
Wiggling with Experience

Post by andybizarre » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:11 am

The A-140-2 is a no-brainer for me and will be purchased as soon as it`s available. I have to confess, I own a lot of envelope generators, but for plain ADSR, the humble A-140 sounds the most "musical" to me :hide: . Double envelope, same HP plus CV over envelope segments - I`m all in. :sb:

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:43 pm

slumberjack wrote:nice to see doepfer goes dense.
Like they haven't been already?

They've been dense enough for many years. There's only so much you can wedge into a square inch of panel space before it becomes useless for human beings to use. Doepfer has skirted that edge with many modules for many years.

I find knobs with a 1/4" outer diameter to be the inside edge of ~dense~ and usefulness. And I have tiny baby diaper boy girly-man hands .... (with really nasty/bumpy/boney knuckles that are as effective as a knot-covered club ... or perhaps a sock full of rocks ... when stricken by them).
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

strangegravity
A Big Knob

Post by strangegravity » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:04 pm

They are making it hard for me to not build a poly modular.

spinalbeatz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by spinalbeatz » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:04 pm

Definitely picking up an A-142-2!

vidret
Common Wiggler

Post by vidret » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:12 pm

Rex Coil 7 wrote:And I have tiny baby diaper boy girly-man hands .... (with really nasty/bumpy/boney knuckles that are as effective as a knot-covered club ... or perhaps a sock full of rocks ... when stricken by them).
I tried clicking that as if it were a URL.

Rex Coil 7
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Rex Coil 7 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:19 pm

vidret wrote:
Rex Coil 7 wrote:And I have tiny baby diaper boy girly-man hands .... (with really nasty/bumpy/boney knuckles that are as effective as a knot-covered club ... or perhaps a sock full of rocks ... when stricken by them).
I tried clicking that as if it were a URL.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly speaking, I ripped off a riff from an old Saturday Night Live sketch ....

[video][/video]

:tu:
Never Quit, Die Falling Forward
5U PROJECT - (skip pages 4 through 6, boring junk) ... https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

spinalbeatz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by spinalbeatz » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:50 pm

Has anyone spotted the A-142-2 in stores yet?

raylinds
Common Wiggler

Post by raylinds » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:55 pm

Just as I was trying to cut back on my spending. :bang:
Cheers,
Ray

spinalbeatz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by spinalbeatz » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:43 pm

We've got an actual product shot of the 142-2 now! Hoping that means it's coming soon.

southberry
Wiggling with Experience

Post by southberry » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:19 pm

Very temped to switch my A-140 for a A-140-2
Two ADSR for the same HP but with CV !!!! just need to see if the switch can replace the switch on the A-140 which is really useful in live situation.

DJMaytag
Ultra Wiggler

Post by DJMaytag » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:05 pm

R.U.Nuts wrote:Yes, but I'm pretty disappointed that they implemented those duck-CV input instead of simple CV inputs for the VCAs that break the internal connection to the envelopes. And instead of the manual gate buttons (which probably are a PITA to push anyway if you have cables pluggd into the module) there should be the envelope outputs. This way you could use the VCAs and envelopes independent from each other.
This module could have been an instabuy for me but these design choices are pretty much dealbreakers.
Do you DIY? It says there is a pin header on the back that would allow for some extra VCA in/ENV out action on a DIY breakout panel, as you're desiring. It would just cost you an extra 2-4 HP, depending on what you can squeeze onto a little panel.

While it's 3HP bigger than a Bastl Skis, I think the A-142-2 might be a better module for my setup.
Instagram | Soundcloud | Wisco Wigglers

If you talk about improper grounding 3 times, Graham Hinton appears!” -djs

GNSDG
Wiggling with Experience

Post by GNSDG » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:02 pm

Looks like Noisebug has a few of these
WTB: Your 54HP lunchbox!

MindMachine
weekend warrior

Post by MindMachine » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:09 pm

I only see 'e-mail for availability' at Noisebug. If Analog Haven doesn't have them in the US then likely no one will. They are still not up at Thomann either in Europe.

But damn... need a A-140-2 to go with my bank of A-140's and A-141 and A-142. :hyper: That will be a sweet suite.

Return to “Eurorack Modules”