Grendel: Drone Commander Vs Grenadier

Discussing gear, production, and ideas for making noise music. Enough JMJ, let's rock like Merzbow!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

LHOOQtius
Learning to Wiggle

Grendel: Drone Commander Vs Grenadier

Post by LHOOQtius » Tue May 08, 2018 11:56 am

For Death Industrial / Death Ambient type stuff...

Is the Grenadier viable? What I've heard of it so far seems to focus on its Acid abilities. But I've got an XOX Bassline so I don't care about that.

Does the drone button plus its 3/4 of the Grendel formant filter really make it at all comparable to a Drone Commander + Formant?

Anyone got links to that kind of drone material played on a Grenadier?

Thanks!

mantid
Common Wiggler

Post by mantid » Sun May 13, 2018 10:36 am

First off, can't answer this - so apologies. However, I have the eurorack Drone Commander + Expander and would be happy to run any tests or answer questions about that setup to the best of my ability if you are curious.

weinglas
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Grendel: Drone Commander Vs Grenadier

Post by weinglas » Sun May 13, 2018 11:02 am

LHOOQtius wrote:For Death Industrial / Death Ambient type stuff...

Is the Grenadier viable? What I've heard of it so far seems to focus on its Acid abilities. But I've got an XOX Bassline so I don't care about that.

Does the drone button plus its 3/4 of the Grendel formant filter really make it at all comparable to a Drone Commander + Formant?

Anyone got links to that kind of drone material played on a Grenadier?

Thanks!
While the grenadier can do drones, for your style the drone commander and especially the GDC2 + expander are much more versatile.

Here is an acid free video I did with the grenadier:

And here is some drone commander action with a Metasonix tube drum machine:
Album with Kozepz:"FRNDS"
"All Tubes"
"Game Over!"
mirarimusic wrote:... This fucking blows away Beyonces release today as well!!!!
dan_p wrote: I'll still be listening to this one in years to come. best thing I've heard for ages
Videos

booyaldy
Common Wiggler

Post by booyaldy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:47 am

Does anyone have any recommendations on a drum machine that would pair well with either of these? More specifically the Grenadier. I would like to get something that has a vacuum tube sound. Almost like a Panasonic vibe. But I am interested in anything really that is not costly.

woVERTICES
Wiggling with Experience

Post by woVERTICES » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:07 pm

Teenage Engineering PO-12 syncs nicely with the Grenadier clock out!
Best,
John
www.johnjpotter.com

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:08 am

booyaldy wrote:Does anyone have any recommendations on a drum machine that would pair well with either of these? More specifically the Grenadier. I would like to get something that has a vacuum tube sound. Almost like a Panasonic vibe. But I am interested in anything really that is not costly.
check the new soma pulsar23. not out yet but the prototype sounds great: https://somasynths.com/pulsar-23/
and, owning a lyra8, i'm sure the pulsar will be a great built.
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

booyaldy
Common Wiggler

Post by booyaldy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:17 am

The pulsar23 looks interesting and sounds really incredible, but likely out of my price range and skill level. I will be checking out the po-12 just for kicks.
My next purchases were going to be the Volca Kick or Bastl Micro-granny which I think I could figure out to some degree. The Lyra8 looks like a really nice drone box.

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:50 am

booyaldy wrote:The pulsar23 looks interesting and sounds really incredible, but likely out of my price range and skill level.
skills develop under circumstances. once it is in front of you i'm sure you will at some point get to grips with it. after all it is analog with one function per knob. i don't think you need to worry about all those patchpoint in the beginning ...
and as time/experience goes by, you can get deeper into it. unlike most drummachines where you get stuck fairly easily.
don't need midi, don't need keys, just want knobs and cables (all together now ;-)

booyaldy
Common Wiggler

Post by booyaldy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:51 pm

Hopefully I can get a Trogotronic device until I can afford something more in depth like the Pulsar. I'd just like to know how much it will cost.

felixer
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by felixer » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:00 pm

the soma drummachine is projected at 1200 euro. maybe less if they can do it. but you can only be sure after the first produktion-run. for that sort of money you could get a folktek matter (or two) plus a beatstep pro.
"ah, the agony of choice".
my guess is you would want both. the soma for the heavier sounds and the folktek for more 'kraftwerk bleepiness' :hihi: 8-)

Return to “Synth Noise”