MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Books on synthesizers, synthesis, etc.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Author Books on synthesizers, synthesis, etc.
Soundifferent
eboats wrote:
Lots of interesting books in this thread, but I'm not aware of a recent book on Modular synthesis. It'd be great if there was a comprehensive book on the subject, with info about different types of modules and how they're used, and updated for 2016 with what's available, and plenty of cookbook recipes.

Yes, it would be cool but, considering the current expansion of the market, it should come as a subscription to 5000 weekly issues! hihi
chamomileshark
Peter Forrest's A-Z of Analogue Synthesisers is great - includes alot of info on the companies plus a huge number of synths reviewed.

Julian Colbeck's stuff is quite good - I think I've got most of the volumes now.
tron23
This thread makes a wonderful resource, thanks to all the contributors. Guinness ftw!
meinviggles
Indeed. Just added several books to my library thanks to this. w00t
tenshun

This book is awesome as well! Alot of diy schematics on how to build your own gear and what discriptions on modules
warnton
eclectics wrote:
Has anyone read The Sackbut Blues: Hugh Le Caine, Pioneer in Electronic Music?
Sounds like fascinating history (voltage control predating moog/buchla), but it looks like the book is hard to come by.

great book! many things I learned as a european centerted (= musique concrète and elektronische Musik) scholar
jdkee
I wish Peter Forrest's book was more widely available. It is quite pricey here in the U.S.
realtrance
I'm very surprised no-one has mentioned Curtis Roads' "The Computer Music Tutorial." I've had this, along with Dodge and Jerse's "Computer Music" ever since my interest in electronic music began decades ago.

Both are excellent sources of understanding for the technical foundations of sound, psychoacoustics, and the mathematics behind a variety of things, from filters to granular synthesis (Roads' more recent book, "Microsounds," concentrates primarily on granular synthesis).

Charles Dodge is of course an early pioneer in electronic music (cf. for instance his recording, "Earth's Magnetic Field"), and Roads is a student of Xenakis'. And has as his student Michael Hetrick, who's done a lot to advance the utility of NI's Reaktor-based Blocks offering, with Euroreakt, all in software, of course.
strangegravity
Synthesizer on books

Funkloch
Florian Anwander's Book "Synthesizer" is really great and helped me a lot. Sadly it's only released in german (as far as I know. but check it out, maybe there's an english translation.)
mgregory22
Here are all of the Sound on Sound Synth Secrets articles (screen-scraped from archive.org, I guess):

https://github.com/micjamking/synth-secrets
HoosierGuy
Synth Secrets Articles Series - Sound on Sound

Beermaster wrote:
Devahari: The Complete Synthesizers - 1970 ? - Very rare but a very good text on modular synthesis

Strange: Electeonic Music Systems, Controls and Techniques - One of the best tutors for modular synth techniques. Very rare but not as rare as the Devahari as some later facsimile editions are still around.

Roland: The Synthesizer - four slim volumes teaching modular synthesis based on the 100M modular - short and sweet with some good examples

EMU Modular manual - PDFs around on the net - very good book

Moog Modular Manual - as above

ARP 2600 Manual - as above

Up To Date Books of note:

Gordon Reid's "Synthesizer Secrets" published as around 30 weeks of instalments in Sound On Sound and still available online tho not published as a book itself (I sadly have every page cut out and put Into a giant ring binder ! ) - covers an incredible, unsurpassed detail of almost every technique for synthesis referencing hardware and modular synths tho mainly Analogue Systems Modular - this was write prior to the 3rd Wave of modular history so doesn't include the latest digital modules around these days

Doepfer modular manual - sweet and small ring bound guide
stripes
a friend of mine made this, i really like it.

https://publication-studio.myshopify.com/products/fowre-1-synthesizers

"Featuring interviews with synth musicians Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith, M. Geddes Gengras, Anthony Rolando, and Owen Osborn & Chris Kucinski; and original writing from Gabriel Reyes-Whittaker, Olivier Gillet, Brian Dewan, and Andrew Siskind."
VortexRanger
The Shared System manual, though specific to a particular synth, is also meant to double as an introduction to modular synthesis:

http://www.makenoisemusic.com/content/manuals/sharedsystemmanual_1.10. pdf
petestreet
stripes wrote:

"Featuring interviews with synth musicians Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith, M. Geddes Gengras, Anthony Rolando, and Owen Osborn & Chris Kucinski; and original writing from Gabriel Reyes-Whittaker, Olivier Gillet, Brian Dewan, and Andrew Siskind."

I second this - it's a fantastic read.
ranix
I picked up Welsh's Synthesizer Cookbook recently and have been playing with recreating the examples he provides. The 2nd book is full of (cover to cover) spectrographs of acoustic instruments to replicate. It's a good time and I've learned an awful lot from it.
dan_k
petestreet wrote:
stripes wrote:

I second this - it's a fantastic read.

Full of magic and inspiration. I'm very fond of the tone.

A chapbook for synthesizers.
EricLobster
User555 wrote:
Just finishing Analog Days, by Trevor Pinch and Frank Trocco.
Before that, Electric Sound by Joel Chadabe, was quite good, and has a chapter on synthesizers. The later approaches in an academic, 'serious music' context and the former more commercial pop-rock.

What other books exist on the subject? Technical, historical, theoretical.
Can we include computer music and electronic music in general?

One place you don't want to get books is the local library. When I went in, even the aged old man helping me find some books was laughing at how old they were. Try Amazon.
squatch
EricLobster wrote:
One place you don't want to get books is the local library. When I went in, even the aged old man helping me find some books was laughing at how old they were. Try Amazon.

Heh, my Devahari book is a library copy. I kept that and gave away the softcover version when I sold a modular

I've got a bunch of books from when I had the mega modular studio, the ones I liked best were the Devahari,
the Friend & Pearlman ARP book, the Delton Horn and the Roland set (which I think was four books)
rec.Koner
realtrance wrote:
I'm very surprised no-one has mentioned Curtis Roads' "The Computer Music Tutorial." I've had this, along with Dodge and Jerse's "Computer Music" ever since my interest in electronic music began decades ago.

Both are excellent sources of understanding for the technical foundations of sound, psychoacoustics, and the mathematics behind a variety of things, from filters to granular synthesis (Roads' more recent book, "Microsounds," concentrates primarily on granular synthesis).

Charles Dodge is of course an early pioneer in electronic music (cf. for instance his recording, "Earth's Magnetic Field"), and Roads is a student of Xenakis'. And has as his student Michael Hetrick, who's done a lot to advance the utility of NI's Reaktor-based Blocks offering, with Euroreakt, all in software, of course.

I just recently stumbled upon Hetrick's work
https://www.mat.ucsb.edu/Dissertations/MHetrickModularUnderstandingFin al.pdf
Pelsea
Now that I have reached 100 posts, I guess I can mention my own book. It is titled "The Art and Technique of Electroacoustic Music" by Peter Elsea and available from the publisher via the usual suspect. It s a textbook for a comprehensive program in electronic music, covering all aspects from music concrete to interactive performance. Essentially what I taught at UCSC for 33 years.

Unfortunately, the publisher put a ridiculous price on it, so they did not fly off the shelves. Also unfortunately, the publisher took so long to get it into print that the software screenshots were obsolete by the time it came out in 2013. (Not to mention some of the software companies were out of business.) However, the principles and procedures are still valid.

There are 2 chapters (out of 19) dedicated to modular synthesis. That's 60 pages, followed by another 30 about FM. However, the other topics should be interesting to musicians involved with MIDI instruments, DAW composition and live performance.

Oh, yeah- it includes a DVD with audio and video examples of various procedures. Basic composition exercises too.

I have a more focused project in the works, for which I have opened a new thread:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2877797#2877797
ToddOMG
The guy from MFOS (Music From Outer Space) wrote a book on designing synthesizers from scratch. Guys a mad genius. Let me find a link...
Gaetan
This is going to be a niche suggestion because, as far as I know, it is only available in danish, but I am currently reading "Modulsynthesizere" by Keld N Sørensen (https://www.saxo.com/dk/modulsynthesizere_keld-n-soerensen_indbundet_ 9788790958671).
It is a bit dated (from 2005) and focuses mostly on Doepfer modules, but I find it and absolutely excellent step-by-step explanation of how basic modules behave and interface with each other. I have read a lot about modulars online, but this is some of the clearest explanations I have come across. Patches are illustrated both with diagrams showing the actual modules patched together (a bit small unfortunately) and with more abstract diagrams that make it easier to grab the concepts.
dooj88
although i can't recommend it since it's not released yet, seems to be quite a lot of hype for the upcoming "PATCH & TWEAK - Exploring Modular Synthesis"
jabberwalky
The classic

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Modular Synth General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next [all]
Page 3 of 4