Off-the-grid rigs

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: Kent, Joe., luketeaford, lisa

Zon
Wiggling with Experience

Off-the-grid rigs

Post by Zon » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:19 am

Over the past few weeks i've created a little "electricity-less" setup to create music at home as i no longer have electricity. Power bank powering a Digitakt and two fx pedals (tc electronic stuff DRAINS batteries) and two portable blackstar amps which run on batteries. Also have a zoom h4n to record/monitor with headphones.

Was wondering if anybody else had portable power solutions to play in nature or on the street or whatever. Would be cool to see some insights.
A wanderer in the desert, a merchant offering his wares.

Koekepan
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Koekepan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:19 pm

Good solution for speaker: Bosch PB360. It's a jobsite radio, plenty loud, and will run off Bosch tool battery. If there is a power lead, it will act as a powerstrip.

A KORG Kross will run off batteries, and run well. So will Volcas. The Casio XW-P1 will run off batteries as well. Boutique synths will run off batteries, and you can get a passive mixer to do that if you need it. Or the Behringer battery-operated mixer. Also, you can get a battery pack to run a few small effects or synths if you need them. The Zoom G1on is a great multi-effects DSP pedal that runs on batteries, and plays nicely with line level sources.

Catmandeux
Common Wiggler

Post by Catmandeux » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:13 pm

Here’s a quick spin of one the earlier iterations of my minirig teatray. Everything is battery powered.

https://vimeo.com/247740951

Then here’s a more recent recording after I had decided to flip the orientation around. The flip made it easier to turn on the 0-coast & effects pedal.

https://vimeo.com/284352104

(Photo is static)

Last edited by Catmandeux on Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beyond the sandbox

matthewjuran
Common Wiggler

Post by matthewjuran » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:44 pm

This thread in Production Techniques indexes other threads on the topic: viewtopic.php?t=206201

Return to “General Gear”