MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Information
Happy holidays! Please see the year-end funding drive post in the Announcements subforum. Thanks and all my love to you beautiful people.

TR-606 - is there any clone in DIY format?
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Author TR-606 - is there any clone in DIY format?
Barcode
djs wrote:
More info about this?

The schematic is complete. I just need to do some verification. I'm hoping to have the proto boards in a couple weeks.
djs
Barcode wrote:
djs wrote:
More info about this?

The schematic is complete. I just need to do some verification. I'm hoping to have the proto boards in a couple weeks.

For the desktop version- do you have a built in sequencer? Also is it modular?
OIP
JanneI wrote:
Here's a couple pics more of my TR-606 eurorack modules:

awesome! i would build the hats in particular right now if i could. contemplated making a stripboard layout many times.
rosch
Well, that looks fantastic!
Count me in!
Barcode
djs wrote:
For the desktop version- do you have a built in sequencer? Also is it modular?

No, no sequencer. It will most likely have individual trigger in's and midi in. I'm still working on the midi to trigger section. I might just use the midi to trigger chip from Touchprone since I already have one and they are fairly cheap.

I plan to have CV in's for most of the controls. I just need to do a little more testing on the breadboard.
prae
what's the score with the RE606? not heard anything about it in quite some time
makhho
most likely to come after re-808 open source is released
Altitude909
prae wrote:
what's the score with the RE606? not heard anything about it in quite some time

Done and tested, on the back burner though. TBH, a DIY 606 is a serious project part wise, probably 3x the parts of a 303 and real ones still can be had at reasonable prices. Not to mention that the only thing available processor wise is quicksilver and unless SE coughs up a bunch, its a dead end project. any resources that might be available to develop a CPU should be working on re808 anyway
basicbasic
JanneI wrote:

Great work! I'd be very keen on a PCB/Panel for the TOMs if you ever have any for sale w00t
Jarno
JanneI wrote:

Would you like to share your schematics? I have a board for the hihat, but it has turned into a real hair puller. I went from the original schematic, but I cannot get it to work.
gianni
JanneI wrote:

Nice work! If you are selling those 606 modules, I would be interested in a cymbal/hi-hat PCB and panel set
snaper
JanneI wrote:
snaper wrote:
JanneI wrote:
I've done all the "gerbster" modules in eurorack skiff style. There are errors in he's schematics and a few unnecessary add-ons (at least in my opion), so beware. I haven't released anything yet, since I want them to be error free, but here's a FB live video with line out audio.

https://youtu.be/CkxzPXPq1KU

..and here's the whole TR-606 in 5U format, with mixer and gate to trigger -shapers for all the drums:

https://youtu.be/xsQcd-jlY6w

ps. I also didn't get any reply from gebster..

Are the published etch layouts have those errors as well?

I only used schematics and compared them to the original, no idea if the etch layouts are correct or not. But I try to make some final adjustments and release the gerbers and schematics. Hopefully before christmas smile

I've got the Arduino code from Gerb, he is a really helpful guy. Also, asked him for the Eagle sch files, it would be easier to create a single sided, home etch friendly single board if I have those files.
Anyway, do you know those problems in the schemo?
JanneI
One quite important designing detail for this project is: all of these modules need a 4ms trigger, so if you want to trigger these manually (=play) from pads (etc switches), you'll need a gate to trigger shaper. To achieve this I used 3 CD40106 's for this in my 5U version. This means a extra +5V regulator and then it would make more sense to make all the drums in a single big module (also noise could be shared for toms and sn).

But do eurorack people really want a 32hp TR-606 when there's 2hp drums available? I'd think best option would be to go all smd and make them in three modules: 1) BD (x2?) 2) SN&TOMS 3) HH&CY (which I already made)

Thoughts?
euromorcego
JanneI wrote:

But do eurorack people really want a 32hp TR-606 when there's 2hp drums available? I'd think best option would be to go all smd and make them in three modules: 1) BD (x2?) 2) SN&TOMS 3) HH&CY (which I already made)

Thoughts?

yes, people really want a (maybe less than) 32hp diy TR-606. In particular when there are 2hp drums available.

If anything the comparison would be the old DrumDokta (DR-110) or the upcoming Black Noir (CR-78), and maybe the Boogie modules (MiniPops).

But some DIY 606 modules would still be fantastic. Also as individual modules.

And you seem to have already the individual modules as through hole? And they work fine? So why not go for these? Maybe with a header at the back to be able to normal to a mixer without too much additional patching.

As for the trigger input: Are you sure this cannot be solved using a gate to trigger converter (like the cgs one) with a single OpAmp as a comparator.
JanneI
Ok, let's start with the simple one: BD. Here are the schematics, bom and gerber files for the 8hp TR-606 BD1 & BD2. Skiff style PCB's use 9mm vertical (alpha) pots and thonkiconn jacks (extra pads for optional normalizing).

RefDes numbering is exactly like in the original 606 service manual (for reference), except mod parts, which start with 9xx. Also the numbering for BD2 starts with 1xx.

BD1 is a 606 style double twin-t and BD2 is more like a 808 style. BD1 mods are "tune" and "tone", BD2 "decay" and "tone". Mods are what you'll find by googling, if someone has suggestion for the values, please comment!

Couple things to remember: 4ms trigger pulse is needed, longer pulse = machine gun -mode. That also means you can't trigger these by playing keys or pads, because you will not be quick enough, so use trigger sequencer. These use +12V only (original +15V) and the audio out will be line level, not eurorack level.

Feel free to comment and since these are free, let's keep it polite! smile

Best,
Janne
snaper
JanneI wrote:
Ok, let's start with the simple one: BD. Here are the schematics, bom and gerber files for the 8hp TR-606 BD1 & BD2. Skiff style PCB's use 9mm vertical (alpha) pots and thonkiconn jacks (extra pads for optional normalizing).

RefDes numbering is exactly like in the original 606 service manual (for reference), except mod parts, which start with 9xx. Also the numbering for BD2 starts with 1xx.

BD1 is a 606 style double twin-t and BD2 is more like a 808 style. BD1 mods are "tune" and "tone", BD2 "decay" and "tone". Mods are what you'll find by googling, if someone has suggestion for the values, please comment!

Couple things to remember: 4ms trigger pulse is needed, longer pulse = machine gun -mode. That also means you can't trigger these by playing keys or pads, because you will not be quick enough, so use trigger sequencer. These use +12V only (original +15V) and the audio out will be line level, not eurorack level.

Feel free to comment and since these are free, let's keep it polite! smile

Best,
Janne

Click-click-click-click, haah, now everything is on my drive:D
Gerbster
Hi There,

I thought it was about time I'd chip in on this discussion :-) First of all, let me say that I'm really excited that people picked up on my old project!

As said by Jarno, I'm not really a 'forum-kinda-guy', I've got a ton of hobbies, and this is just one 'em. I usually work on these projects for a couple of weeks and then move on to the next and then leave it for some months. Mr. Green

anyway, more on topic; I've been working on a new MIDI interface board, it was kinda of a try-out for designing proper PCB's. I've rewritten the firmware to make it a faster and bugfree using low level C instead of Arduino. I'm currently testing this, if it's done I'll update the website (and post it here).

Some pictures:

https://ibb.co/jUSoSK
https://ibb.co/hxaWge
https://ibb.co/nb97Me
https://ibb.co/k6sSMe
https://ibb.co/mFcSMe

As for the TR82, if you found any flaws/bugs, or have any question please let me know!
JanneI
Good to hear from you Gerbster!

My original plan was to build a 5U format version and that I have already achieved.

Since I also designed pcb's in eurorack format (skiff style) I'll release them also. BD1&2 is already here, next is OH-CH-CY in 8hp, and last I'll finish the sn&toms, probably more than 8hp due to the number of pots. I also have a 4hp mixer, but this could be added to the module that would handle the trigger pulse shaping, midi or just gate to trigger, and I'm not sure if I'll ever get to it.

I did find couple of mistakes on the tr-82 schematics, but I don't remember anymore what they exactly were, but you can compare my schematics to tr-82 pdf files and the original 606 service manual. For the tr-82 mods most of the values are same as what you'll find by googling "tr-606 mods".

I'll have the OH-CH-CY module files finished pretty soon..
euromorcego
JanneI wrote:

I did find couple of mistakes on the tr-82 schematics, but I don't remember anymore what they exactly were, but you can compare my schematics to tr-82 pdf files and the original 606 service manual.

just to understand: are these "mistakes" in the sense of "I tried building and it didnt work" or in the sense of "it is different from what the original schematics said".
Starspawn
Very interested in the 5U version smile
JanneI
euromorcego wrote:

just to understand: are these "mistakes" in the sense of "I tried building and it didnt work" or in the sense of "it is different from what the original schematics said".

IE. Check the +15v power distribution part of tr-606 service manual and compare to to tr-82 schematics: that passive RC filter is really needed for some of the drum circuits. I had a major bleed through with the hh-cy before I notice the difference. Some variable resistor -pots were other way around and some mods had weird values. Don't remember all... but by no means is this meant as a critique towards Gerbster, so don't get me wrong, please. Most of the things worked right away, so only some of the details need fixing.
Sebo
Nice project!!!
I´m very interested in the 5U version!
Gerbster
I've finally had the time to update the TR82 website, with the new MIDI Board and the Firmware :-)

https://gerbster.nl/tr82

@JanneI, I've had some trouble as well with the HH/CY bleeding.. (How) did you fix it?
JanneI
Gerbster wrote:
@JanneI, I've had some trouble as well with the HH/CY bleeding.. (How) did you fix it?

Look at the 100ohm resistor (R216) & 47uF el.cap. (C72) on the original schematic and compare it to yours. That's what silenced my build. Yours is drawn the other way around.

Also, is there a reason why CY (second order high-pass active) filter mode (tune) is different from the HH filter mode? Is that just a mistake on your behalf or is there something I don't understand? Why is the CY filter pot (tune) only around the other 1nF cap, not at feedback loop as in HH schematic? Seems to me that it can only have an effect on the first roll-off (6db/oct?).

Everything else is done for my 8hp HH-CY module, so then I can share the gerbers.

HH

CY
JanneI
Here's pics of the next one, OH-CH-CY 8hp module. This one has 3 pcb's layers. I'll share the gerbers after I've first build one, just to be sure there's no mistakes. RefDes are again same as on the original schematic for easy modding. I tested and changed the CY high pass filter section to as in the OH-CH section, which in my opinion works better.

MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next [all]
Page 2 of 3