Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

VCOscillator
Common Wiggler

Post by VCOscillator » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:09 pm

I ordered these:

https://www.accu.co.uk/en/knurled-thumb ... T-M3-10-A1

M3 x 10mm - they fit perfectly, you just need to add screw insulators:

UKRS

These are 4mm but I trimmed them and added some nylon washers under the front panel so that I could screw them tight and they feel extremely solid.
Chain Reacting

secrethero303
Common Wiggler

Post by secrethero303 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:06 pm

VCOscillator wrote:I ordered these:

https://www.accu.co.uk/en/knurled-thumb ... T-M3-10-A1

M3 x 10mm - they fit perfectly, you just need to add screw insulators:

UKRS

These are 4mm but I trimmed them and added some nylon washers under the front panel so that I could screw them tight and they feel extremely solid.
I used the same thumb screws and they are perfect. To keep them off the panel, I used TO-3 transistor bushings which worked great. Then, to keep the pcb from touching the panel, I just used a 12”x12” sheet of Kapton film and cut the holes for the pots and switches.

Branko
Common Wiggler

Post by Branko » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:46 pm

Made some panels at work today, turned out nice. UV print with white ink. I still have to hit it with a clear coat, but it's already pretty scratch resistant! Anyone have any suggestions on what I should coat it with?

Many thanks to secrethero303 for the FrontPanel files! I inserted part of my design in and it worked out perfectly.

Also, considering I can print directly to the aluminum sheet, different color combos/designs are a breeze.

I'm getting a quote on a dozen pre drilled sheets, and over this weekend I will be coating the panels I have and testing scratch resistance, which should be solid.
Last edited by Branko on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tndhrr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by tndhrr » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:59 pm

Hey guys, I'm almost done with my kit but there's something on the In/Out board (v2.4) that's confusing me. It looks like a rectangle of conductor with two holes in it, going across/around the trace for the EXT IN from the jack to the ribbon socket. In the pictures of the completed synth it looks like something is in those holes but I can't see what, and there's nothing in the schematics or instructions? What am I supposed to do here? Thanks

pix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pix » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:05 pm

I'm almost done with the main voice board (v2.6) and found some differences compared to the BOM, namely

6x 4.7uF electrolytic instead of 5x

1x 2.2uF ceramic/metal film that is not in the BOM

2x 4.7uF ceramic/metal film that is not in the BOM

are these values correct? can anyone confirm this for me?

thanks!

VCOscillator
Common Wiggler

Post by VCOscillator » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:08 pm

I just finished my build in the last few days, I made small PCBs to install all of the suggested mods in the 'tweaks' file.
I built my LYRA into a 6u rack mountable enclosure and wanted to use symbols rather than text to keep with the spirit of improvisation and built it as a large aluminium PCB with black solder mask, white silkscreen and gold ENIG for the details. The panel symbols were inspired by Mungo & Make Noise panels to fit with my system which is mostly black and gold and the 6u left enough space to install:

24 pots controlling envelope Attack, Release (Fast) & Release (Slow)
Slide switches for Distortion LPF, Delay LPF
8 x slide switches to select frequency range per voice
8 x potentiometers controlling vibrato frequency per voice

Everything went smoothly and all mods are functioning correctly :bananaguitar:

I made an instagram page with some pics: Link

I will upload some videos of the mods in the next week or so when I get some time but this has been a highly enjoyable project!

Chain Reacting

Branko
Common Wiggler

Post by Branko » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:19 pm

God DAMN. Nice.

pix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pix » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:28 pm

:hail:

Bjarne
Common Wiggler

Post by Bjarne » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:48 pm

Nice!!! :party:
Branko wrote:
Also, considering I can print directly to the aluminum sheet, different color combos/designs are a breeze.

secrethero303
Common Wiggler

Post by secrethero303 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:33 pm

Wow, very nice!

pirx
Common Wiggler

Post by pirx » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:32 pm

Branko - beautiful panels!

VCOscillator - amazing build!!!

Bjarne
Common Wiggler

Post by Bjarne » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:17 am

VCOscillator yes, that’s an impressive build. Which of the mods are your favorites?

Alfrede
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Alfrede » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:16 am

Hey VCOslliator, do you share or sell your MODS? The Picture and i believe the sound is fantastic. As we Say in German "Hut ab"

mutronic
Common Wiggler

Post by mutronic » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:00 pm

incredible work!

electricanada
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by electricanada » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:03 pm

Beautiful job. Shame to hang it in a rack though. This instrument begs to be held in your lap and caressed.
Eléctrica (electric) Nāda (the yoga of sound).

pix
Veteran Wiggler

Post by pix » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:27 pm

Almost done with my lyra just want to confirm that the PSU is wired to the DC++ and DC-- connectors of the in/out board.

this is right, right?

just making sure I don't :deadbanana:

secrethero303
Common Wiggler

Post by secrethero303 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:33 pm

pix wrote:Almost done with my lyra just want to confirm that the PSU is wired to the DC++ and DC-- connectors of the in/out board.

this is right, right?

just making sure I don't :deadbanana:
Yes, that is right.

Master G
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Master G » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:57 am

pix wrote:I'm almost done with the main voice board (v2.6) and found some differences compared to the BOM, namely

6x 4.7uF electrolytic instead of 5x

1x 2.2uF ceramic/metal film that is not in the BOM

2x 4.7uF ceramic/metal film that is not in the BOM

are these values correct? can anyone confirm this for me?

thanks!
Hey all, 50% done with the built of LYRA-8

Confirm the discrepancies with the BOM:
· 4 x 47uf EL CAP (total 32, not 28)
· 2 x 10uf CERAMIC CAP (not included in BOM)
· 3 x 2.2uf CERAMIC CAP (not included in BOM)
· 1 x 1.8nf CERAMIC CAP (not included in BOM, 1.2nf is in the BOM that is not found on PCB)
· 8 x 4.7uf CERAMIC CAP (this one not sure about how many, do this list post fact)

May be I misunderstand the PCB or/and some Metal Film may substitute Ceramic... but schematically it looks like this.

Hope I will get the sound once I am finished))

Good luck to all of you;) :bananaguitar:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alfrede
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Alfrede » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:30 am

Hey Master G, one question which Version Number is on your PCB printed, in my Version 2.6 i have 0.22mMP printed and 1,2nF printed and 2,2mF for an electr. electrolytic capacitor. I later took pictures of them.Image
Last edited by Alfrede on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

VCOscillator
Common Wiggler

Post by VCOscillator » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:35 am

Thanks for the nice comments :party:
Bjarne wrote:VCOscillator yes, that’s an impressive build. Which of the mods are your favorites?
Thanks Bjarne! My favourites are probably the voice range switches or the vibrato frequency pots, they feel like they expand patch options quite a lot - the voice range switches are very nice in fm mode to quickly explore a lot of different frequency ranges but I find all of them very useful so far.

Alfrede wrote:Hey VCOslliator, do you share or sell your MODS? The Picture and i believe the sound is fantastic. As we Say in German "Hut ab"
]

If it is OK with Vlad I would be happy to upload and share the Gerbers for the expander PCBs. The mods are pretty easy to install, especially if you are building from scratch, just quite a lot of hookup wire to manage.

I installed pin headers in all of the mod destinations in the 'tweaks' file and ran wires from the little pcbs to the main board. The only slightly tricky part was sourcing slide switches that were small enough to fit the panel while also being compatible with the height of Alpha 9mm pots. The closest I could find were a little short in height so the PCB needed to be secured to the front panel with both the pot nuts and a 10mm spacer and then soldered from behind the PCB as the legs were just long enough to reach the boards. Also the footprint for some of the larger value film caps that I used had to be installed on the back of the little pcbs as I used 5mm footprints for all of the caps.
Chain Reacting

stoplitewigglin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stoplitewigglin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:57 pm

VCOscillator now that is a thing of beauty, amazing design on the front panel ! also kudos for doing the mods :sb:

I wasn't even considering the mods, and was ready to order panel from schaeffer, but after seeing your post ...
If you can share your pcb files and component specs, there's going to be some desoldering, wiring and redesigning on front panel designer, can't let my already sweet sounding lyra without these.

By the way, I've done 2 fpd files going from secrethero303 file (how did you get the vectorized updated panel ? It seems you've got a file that was hanging out on their website, judging from its filename).
The upper connections are now in the same style as controls (exported from manual), and I've ajusted the layout relative to holes, not sure if it's right but it seems more centered.

2 versions : black and white layout :

[/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

secrethero303
Common Wiggler

Post by secrethero303 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:28 pm

I had pulled it from their site, here: https://somasynths.com/lyra-8-presets/

The third link is a pdf to use for documenting presets, that I was able to pull into inkscape and edit out the unwanted portions.

secrethero303
Common Wiggler

Post by secrethero303 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:29 pm

whoops, double post

stoplitewigglin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by stoplitewigglin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:04 pm

secrethero303 wrote:I had pulled it from their site, here: https://somasynths.com/lyra-8-presets/

The third link is a pdf to use for documenting presets, that I was able to pull into inkscape and edit out the unwanted portions.
Ok, thank you for the info, I didn't see that section on their website. And to think I was trying the hard way, manually aligning vertically and horizontally, "upper" effects section and "sources" lower section from the manual PDF.

Anyway, thanks for your for work on this fpd file.

If I'm able to find time for it, I would like to do some sort of a "DIY tips" document from all the data we've collectively gathered (correct BOM errors, housing cases and panels, mods, general building/ordering/supplier tips etc....)
Collaborative google doc files would be appropriate for this, will try to look into this ...

Thanks everybody for your feedback on building this wonderfully designed synth, really one of a kind. Also biggest thanks to Vlad of course ! :party:

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Power advise

Post by Purveyor2 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:25 pm

I’m lame with wiring power supplies without instructions. I’ve got a few 2.1mm jacks, should I be wiring center positive or negative? What brick do you recommend? What about adding an on/off switch...
Thanks

Return to “Music Tech DIY”