MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Expert Sleepers FH-2 'factotum'
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Author Expert Sleepers FH-2 'factotum'
Neither
Just wondering... Do I need https://www.modulargrid.net/e/expert-sleepers-select-bus-breakout in addition to FH-2 if I'm intending of using Maschine Studio as in this https://www.voltagecontrollab.com/2016/02/23/modular-beats-with-maschi ne-yarns/
os
It would be this:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/expert-sleepers-midi-breakout

unless you can use the Maschine's USB port?
rileyrobot
How can I get the web-based Configuration Tool to recognize the USB-C connection to the FH-2?
os
It should "just work" if you plug a USB cable from your computer to the FH-2.

The FH-2 itself will show a 'C' in the UI to indicate a connection.
mdoudoroff
For some reason, the USB-C-to-USB-A cable I’ve got only works with the C end oriented one way, and not the other. Go figure. That might help rileyrobot or not.
rileyrobot
mdoudoroff wrote:
For some reason, the USB-C-to-USB-A cable I’ve got only works with the C end oriented one way, and not the other. Go figure. That might help rileyrobot or not.

Yeah, I did notice that too. Weird
Sebdaflou
Hi,
I can't figure out how to configure it with ableton to sequence 2 or more mono midi channels.

I did the configuration by the web tool.

In Ableton when i change the midi channel out (1>2 or 3), it only goes out by the 1 and 2 outputs of the FH-2.

(And I can't create a topic unfortunatly)
os
You would want to enable two MIDI/CV converters, give them different MIDI channels and different base outputs, like this:
Sebdaflou
Hi Os,

thanks for your fast reply, it works !

So the numbers of the first column don't relate to outputs. It's the base outputs, i guess...

Then, another question : The module Maths wich receiving the gate in the trig input, doubles the trig, even when i change the output range or change to "trig" in the webtool.

The calibration tool is showing a strange screen too, like a crash screen.

(Sorry for my english, i'm french smile )

i just bought this second hand FH-2 and i'll surely have a few questions
os
Quote:
So the numbers of the first column don't relate to outputs. It's the base outputs, i guess...

No, it's the number of the MIDI/CV converter.

Quote:
The module Maths wich receiving the gate in the trig input, doubles the trig

This is discussed here:
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2909143#2909143

Quote:
The calibration tool is showing a strange screen too, like a crash screen.

Could you post a picture?
Sebdaflou
Hi,

Thanks for the answers !

I tried the auto-calibration and it seems to work now !

Do the calibration start from C0 = 0V ?
os
It starts from the bottom of the range, so either 0V or -5V depending which output range you have selected.
Funky40
i have a FH-2 on preorder since months !
but nothing in sight wink
when do they ship to swiss ( loops&bits)......or to gear4music ?
os
I'm expecting them to start leaving the factory next week.

While I'm here - not sure this made it onto Muffs yet:

BobbyFogtop
Cool video, Os.
You've piqued my imagination..

I love the idea of making the FH-2 an even more flexible platform with some sort of shell, and command set. This is a duplicate of a comment I made to the video - I imagine this is a more appropriate place?

It would be cool to have access to a filesystem on the SD card to redirect input and output for shell commands.

One application I have in mind is for diagnostic purposes. For example. I've been trying to figure out whether some unexpected behavior is a fault in my Roli Rise 49, or the FH-2, or just my own understanding. The Midi messages on the FH-2 screen go by way too fast. If I could have a shell script that resulted in some data stored in a file it might help me figure out what's going on.

A totally different idea: playing back midi sequences from a file. Or recording midi inputs to a file for later playback.

# tee midi_in > filename
# play -loop < midi_file
# record > new_midi_file

As if you haven't done enough already....
os
Thanks for the feedback.

There's no SD card - you mean USB drive I guess.

For debugging stuff it's probably easier to get the FH-2 to forward the MIDI to another MIDI port, connect that to a computer and use a MIDI logging app on the computer.
BobbyFogtop
os wrote:
Thanks for the feedback.

There's no SD card - you mean USB drive I guess.

For debugging stuff it's probably easier to get the FH-2 to forward the MIDI to another MIDI port, connect that to a computer and use a MIDI logging app on the computer.

d'oh! Perils of spouting off while being nowhere near my rig, and letting enthusiasm get the better of me. I appreciate your patience. And yet, here I go again: Yes, perhaps a USB drive. Or maybe somehow using your web interface? Guessing Chrome might have some security objections to that.... Maybe cut and paste from the web output window?

Anyway... On with your creating. It's much appreciated.
toneburst
I think it needs to support Bash wink
Or some kind of subset of Python, more realistically.

I doubt it's ever going to be anything more than a gimmick, on a screen that tiny.

I'm sure you could have a good stab at something like the Teletype, with a bigger screen, though, @os, if you put your mind to it (and I'd probably buy it, if you did wink ).
toneburst
@BobbyFogtop ES Disting Mk3/4 and General CV modules both have MIDI file playback from SD card, incidentally (and are great modules!).
BobbyFogtop
toneburst wrote:
@BobbyFogtop ES Disting Mk3/4 and General CV modules both have MIDI file playback from SD card, incidentally (and are great modules!).

Thanks! I do have two Distings (and considering more - the wavetable modes in particular are pretty good with an MPE controller like the Roli). I was just musing here, since I'm into the Fader Host regime with an FH-2 and FHX-1 so far, and an FHX-8GT on pre-order. I don't see canned sequences being a focus for me, but since Os doesn't seem to be afraid of competing with himself, giving his modules so many capabilities when software mods can take advantage of his hardware, just thought I'd mention it.

Now I am wondering just how far he can go using WebMidi to overcome the limitations of the small screen. Not that I want to have a computer permanently attached!! Not what most of us want from modular. Leaving a USB stick like a Sandisk Ultra Fit attached, on the other hand.... I could live with that, assuming there is a suitable USB C adapter. Writing without thinking things all the way through again, perhaps.
Sleipnir
Re: command shell usefulness
How much access does the shell have to the hardware/presets?
Maybe it could be used to setup if/then type of things where
if (some midi signal/event)
set preset=2
fi

kind of thing. Having the ability to totally change the config from a controller, or even a sequence.
Just musing. hmmm.....
hermbot
Did anything come from conversations with Teenage Engineering and integration with the OP-1?
rileyrobot
I am trying to get the FH-2 to play nice with my Linnstrument

I tried using the Configuration Tool

I set up one CV/MIDI converter to have four voices including Pitch, Gate, Trigger, and Aftertouch but the outputs aren’t reacting the way I expected them to.

I have an FHX-Expander module connected to the FH-2 and I am trying to get four outputs for each voice: So outputs 1, 2, 3, & 4 would be devoted to the first voice, outputs 5, 6, 7, & 8 would be for the second voice and then the same on the expander for the third and fourth voices, with the outputs sending Pitch, Gate, Velocity, and Aftertouch respectively.

How do I achieve this?

I feel like I’m pretty close to figuring it out, but maybe I’m missing something?

Thanks again for your input, this forum has been really helpful.
rileyrobot
I’m not sure what configuration settings to use on the Configuration Tool to get the Touché SE controls mapped to the FH-2 outputs.

I was also interested in plugging a USB hub into the FH-2 and then plugging a Touché SE & a Linnstrument into the hub and was wondering what configuration settings I’d use to get the FH-2 to recognize both devices simultaneously.

Thanks again!
Sleipnir
rileyrobot wrote:
I am trying to get the FH-2 to play nice with my Linnstrument
I tried using the Configuration Tool
I set up one CV/MIDI converter to have four voices including Pitch, Gate, Trigger, and Aftertouch but the outputs aren’t reacting the way I expected them to.

How exactly are they reacting? More detail helps. Mr. Green

I don't know if it applies to the FH-2 (still waiting for mine waah ), but there is a special mode on the FH-1 that senses a Linnstrument and changes some settings. At least for me, when I updated my Linnstrument firmware to <v2.10, I had to disable that special mode for it to function correctly (missed/stuck notes).
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next [all]
Page 9 of 16