MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Future Sound Systems - Brunswick
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Author Future Sound Systems - Brunswick
Monobass
On sale exclusively on Thonk - https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/fss-brunswick/

The Brunswick is perfect for those who want an introduction into the world of patchable analogue synthesis!
The Brunswick Synthesizer from Future Sound Systems is a newly designed, affordable synth voice with plenty of connectivity for exploration and integration with other devices. The Brunswick features a single VCO (Pulse & Sawtooth), multi-mode two-pole VCF and a character filled onboard VCA. The synthesizer also features it’s own internal LFO and envelope sections alongside FM inputs for the VCO and VCF. The Brunswick features a 24-point patchbay that allows for external voltage control over VCO pitch (v/oct) and envelope gate, as well as a slew of other inputs and outputs on 3.5mm mono jacks (see below for full list).

SOUNDCLOUD DEMOS HERE

Features

* Full Synthesizer Voice
* Pulse/Sawtooth VCO
* VCO PWM & FM
* 2-Pole VCF with FM
* Internal Triangle & Square wave LFOs
* Internal Envelope & VCA
* PLL & Phase Comparator
* 24 point Patch bay
* Power: 2x PP3 9V batteries (+35, -20mA current draw)
* Batteries not included
* Dimensions: 194 x 120 mm

Patch bay I/O:

* VCO 1V/Octave pitch control input
* VCO PulseWidth Modulation input (normalled to LFO Triangle output)
* VCO FM 1 input (normalled to LFO Triangle output)
* VCO FM 2 input (normalled to Envelope output)
* VCO “Sawtooth” output
* VCO Pulse output
* Phase Comparator input
* Phase Comparator output
* Phase Locked Loop input
* Phase Locked Loop output
* LFO Triangle output
* LFO Square output
* Low-Pass Filter input (normalled to switched VCO output)
* Band-Pass Filter input
* High-Pass Filter input
* VCF output
* VCF FM 1 input (normalled to LFO Triangle output)
* VCF FM 2 input (normalled to Envelope output)
* VCA input
* VCA output
* VCA AM 1 input (normalled to LFO Triangle output)
* VCA AM 2 input (normalled to Envelope output)
* Envelope Gate input (normalled to LFO Square output)
* Envelope output

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/fss-brunswick/
mtts
Looks interesting. How hard is it to build?

Also, I see it runs off batteries. How hard would it be to run it off Eurorack power?
a100user
In DivKid’s Synthfest video, Fin states that it is all through hole and the build is pretty straightforward
SoundPool
first thing I have seen in a while to really catch my attention. I like that it is simple while not at the same time. basic functionality, but with lots of interesting options with all the cv/fm possibilities and what seems like an actual behavior character of its own. also really like the idea of the PLL on there too. the whole thing def brought the MS synths to my mind. might have to actually make one of these...

I imagine it wouldn't be hard to adapt to run off 12v just using a voltage regulator set up properly?
NeonFux
I ordered one yesterday then went shopping for a Korg sq-1 and a bunch of patch leads.
This will be my introduction to patchable analogue synths and my first post on here wink

Is there a build manual available yet ?
Tonescape
Woah, already sold out. Would love to get one of these. Hope they make another batch.
templar
NeonFux wrote:

Is there a build manual available yet ?

Bottom of this page: https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/fss-brunswick/
Jarno
Wow! Gotta say, they really make the most out of each and every component, that is not a lot of parts for such a full featured thing. Kudos!
Isaiah
Mine is 99% complete.
The build doc advises only soldering the signal pin of each 3.5mm socket until you can ensure everything works.
I only had time to briefly check, but I think I might be having issues with my VCA.
When I patched the VCF output directly to the VCA input one of the issues seemed to disappear, so I can only assume that this will be fixed when I solder all of the socket pins (ensuring the internal routing works).

I’ll check thoroughly tomorrow and report back.
Jarno
Finlay did talk about that VCA being very simple, a (J?)FET. Given that those components do have quite a bit of variation, it might be that you simply got a part which is less suited. Not sure how sensitive that Roland VCA (I assume) is to component variation.
Isaiah
Quick update:
I soldered all the pins and everything seems to work now. thumbs up
SoundPool
posting my thoughts here for anyone else they might be helpful to... I'm thinking about making this a winter project to actually build into L*W 4U format. looking at some spec sheets and the build doc to see if its possible without doing too much wiring...

of course using bananas would undo all the normalized connections, but I don't mind that. looking at spec sheets Emerson banana jacks are 9.05mm long after the flange, and the housing portion of PJ301 jacks are 9mm. so given a panel would take about 2.5-3mm off the Emerson it should be possible to actually build this in L*W format while still using the PCB mounted pots - you lose the Serge grid layout, but I hate pot wiring so worth it to me... the only other question with the given jack spacing would be if it would be unusably tight given that the banana jacks are quite a bit wider on the panel than 3.5mm connectors. Worst case, the open space at the top left of the PCB could be used to space out the jacks a bit.

as for keeping the whole project as compatible as possible with outside signal use, the open space on the top right of the PCB could be used on the panel to keep some 3.5mm jacks normalized to the bananas for connecting to other mini synths or an ipod or whatever else. Certainly enough to the phase comp/PLL inputs, and the v/o input to save you needing a format jumbler.

I really like how this synth is already making the most of the limited components it uses, but I'm also thinking that having it behind a panel, while it might get to get a tight squeeze, can also open up some mod options. for example if C5 is the timing cap for the LFO, I'm wondering if one could add a switch with 3 different caps for wider time ranges, so it could either go very slow (since it is a simple design I'm guessing it hits a point where it will just hang) or go well up into audio range to add a crude second oscillator.

the only thing that would remain would be to switch it to 12v power. if I understand the build doc and am thinking correctly this also isn't so tricky. using the recommended DC/DC converter, the synth should then just be able to run off the positive 12v rail.
DJ_JITTER
Hey folks, anybody have the dimensions for this thing? Would be fun to see if it'll fit in 3U.
flts
SoundPool wrote:
the only thing that would remain would be to switch it to 12v power. if I understand the build doc and am thinking correctly this also isn't so tricky. using the recommended DC/DC converter, the synth should then just be able to run off the positive 12v rail.

Yep, if you can find space for it (I'm not sure if there's a provision on the PCB or if you would have to just build a stripboard "daughtercard" and hang it from the main PCB), shouldn't be hard with any +-9V DC-DC that has +12V in the input voltage range.

Of course, the small caveat is that you still have a synth that internally runs on +-9V voltage rails. The opamps clip way before hitting rail voltages, so you'll have something that won't quite take the full range of voltages produced by other modules. That's not a terribly uncommon case of course.
flts
DJ_JITTER wrote:
Hey folks, anybody have the dimensions for this thing? Would be fun to see if it'll fit in 3U.

Check out the Thonk product page linked in the first post. Looks like it would be just a bit too high to fit between rails (?)
SoundPool
flts wrote:
SoundPool wrote:

Yep, if you can find space for it (I'm not sure if there's a provision on the PCB or if you would have to just build a stripboard "daughtercard" and hang it from the main PCB), shouldn't be hard with any +-9V DC-DC that has +12V in the input voltage range.

Of course, the small caveat is that you still have a synth that internally runs on +-9V voltage rails. The opamps clip way before hitting rail voltages, so you'll have something that won't quite take the full range of voltages produced by other modules. That's not a terribly uncommon case of course.

yeah I figured I would hang a little piece of stripboard off the mounting holes where one of the battery compartments would go for a little converter circuit.

good point on the rails though, I hadn't considered that. I suppose it isn't the end of the world, if anything it fits the lo-fi nature of the whole thing. as long as other standard (+/-5v) signals would clip or go a bit over range but not be able to cause any damage thats fine. one can always throw in an attenuator somewhere along the line. maybe there are some drop in replacement opamps that are rail to rail that could at least improve the clipping situation a bit.
flts
I guess at +-9V rails, TL07x and TL08x can still take +-5V signal without clipping fine. (Disclaimer, I didn't check the datasheet, just from the top of my mind I think there should be way enough headroom!)

I don't know if the design has any parts that might not like the full +-12V range (or eg. 10V gates which is probably the more realistic option), if there's some protection in the inputs for eg. using with Eurorack in mind, or if everything's going to be OK with the kinds of voltages you'd throw at them anyway.
NeonFux
Is there a Circuit for this yet ?
My progress so far has been good until i reached the Matched Pair of 2N3904 , i have not built anything in about 20 years and these 50 year old eyes have let me down , i bridged 2 of the legs on the first one , i should have used thinner solder and some flux, (the 3 holes for the legs are in a row , personally i would have had them in a triangle format if i were designer) anyway i have halted my progress and ordered a new matched pair (to be on the safe side) and some desoldering braid and dug out my flux pen and desoldering pump and i am needing to get myself a brighter light source lol.

The kit is well organised and components for each step are bagged and labeled , instructions are well written and easy to follow. This is not a staged build , ie build one stage then test but is a component type build, ie solder all the diodes then resistors, then caps etc .... get to the end then see if it works , i prefer the build a section then test approach with a description of how that section works , i feel that type of build is more educational also.
DJ_JITTER
flts wrote:
DJ_JITTER wrote:

Check out the Thonk product page linked in the first post. Looks like it would be just a bit too high to fit between rails (?)

d'oh! not sure how I was able to read the Thonk page multiple times and miss that, but thanks!

Yeah it looks to be a touch too big to fit through the rails, but it might be feasible to attach a front panel after the board is behind the rails for a more permanent install.
SoundPool
flts wrote:
I guess at +-9V rails, TL07x and TL08x can still take +-5V signal without clipping fine. (Disclaimer, I didn't check the datasheet, just from the top of my mind I think there should be way enough headroom!)

I don't know if the design has any parts that might not like the full +-12V range (or eg. 10V gates which is probably the more realistic option), if there's some protection in the inputs for eg. using with Eurorack in mind, or if everything's going to be OK with the kinds of voltages you'd throw at them anyway.

I got in touch with FSS about this- Finlay seems like a very nice guy and wrote me back within a day. He said everything should be fine for higher inputs, just that the signals will get clipped. Thinking about it after the fact he was demoing it in the video with a Keystep, which I imagine has a 10v gate output. I don't think I even have anything other than 10v gates that really gets that close anyway, MS20 I think has maybe a 7 or 9v tuning range? Since it isn't the fanciest thing I certainly wouldn't have expected it to track well enough to why anyone would want to use such a wide range anyway unless you want to play in tune, but in a very sour sounding way.

Also no guarantee, but he did say that Thonk might also offer PCB only in the next batch, which would be great for those of us looking to do our own custom builds like this or have all these parts stashed around already. Would be great if that happens.
Alliex
This was a fun build, but I scorched at least one trace. I fixed that, but need to test a few spots for connectivity.

Soooooo that said, has anyone seen a schematic? >_>
earlneath
I thought I had stuffed something up in my build. After an extensive visual check and some desoldering braid (the transistor pads are very close together on the rev2 pcb and I may have bridged the legs on one of the 2N3904s, but it was fixed with some braid), it still didn’t seem to work.

My next step was to test everything with the multimeter, starting with battery voltages. This revealed the problem was a flat battery. Now it works! Fun build (my first proper kit after a stripboard version of the MFOS WSG). Very satisfied and I wouldn't say it was hard. The instructions were clear and easy to follow. It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners
drox
this looks great
ayacombe
Can anybody tell me the dimensions? Can’t find them anywhere, and I maybe already have a case for it.
Have a Werkstatt already, but this seems like a fun project
csaban
PCB is ~194 mm x ~120 mm

In case you want to put it behind a panel, make sure you solder C5, C16 and C20 leaning on the board very frustrating
autodafe
just got my kit in the mail today, wil build it in a couple of days.

dimensions are here: http://www.futuresoundsystems.co.uk

why on earth didn'they make it fit for eurorack ??? 5-6 mm less and It would have been OK... eek!
4floorsofwhores
autodafe wrote:
just got my kit in the mail today, wil build it in a couple of days.

dimensions are here: http://www.futuresoundsystems.co.uk

why on earth didn'they make it fit for eurorack ??? 5-6 mm less and It would have been OK... eek!

I'm guessing it was deliberate grin
autodafe
4floorsofwhores wrote:

I'm guessing it was deliberate grin

yeah I can imagine... ;-)
autodafe
Just finished my Brunswick in a couple of hours

(BSP Sequencing + Mutant Bassdrum + Dreadbox Echo)

MalteseSynther
....took the plunge and ordered one from THONK yesterday.....i have been building synth modules for three years now, and from what I can see, this looks like a very simple build. This brings the JASPER Wasp clone to mind, which also is a single pcb build, but with a LOT of more components, but quiet easy to build. I can already see the opportunity of modd'ing upwards this lill 'fella, though I understand why it was kept relatively simple but still totally versatile with all those patch points. For those who wish to power it from other power sources then the batteries specified, a simple 7909/7809 dual supply circuit would totally suffice, and there is also scope for an on-board audio amplifier based upon a LM386 driving say, a two-inch speaker or two. This would make the synth a stand-alone unit, which makes a front panel a very nice thing to have. ...... nanners

22/11/2018
applause applause applause packet arrived, Brunswick Kit under construction applause applause applause
futuresoundsystems
HI THERE

Sorry we've been quiet here - things have been rather hectic since the release of this thing.

First off - we have an apology to make. It seems that throughout the design phase, we got lucky with component tolerances and ended up putting the envelope gate circuit right on the edge of firing at +5V. Therefore, some builders have had problems getting their envelopes to fire.

The solution to this is to lower R5 - it's in the BoM as 100k, and we suggest changing this to ~47k. This can be done either with a direct replacement of the resistor, or by strapping another 100k across R5 in parallel to make 50k. There's a shot of the offender here:

On to other things now:

We didn't Eurorack it because we didn't want people to think this was a Eurorack exclusive thing. We also plan on expanding the "range" for the Brunswick - there'll be companion projects in the same form factor at some point in the future. Oh, by the way, it's the same width as the Korg Volca series + SQ1.

Sorry the transistor pins are so close together. We've tried to make it a little easier on the latest board revision, but it's still pretty tight. Solder braid may well be your friend there.

You can throw hot signals into the inputs and all that will happen is they'll clip. +/-12V will be fine, but expect to be in the lower range of the attenuating pots.

You should be able to power the thing from a wall-wart into a DC->DC converter. Something like this should suffice. We may well make some kind of add on thing for the Brunswick (series) at some point, but again, the design was made with simplicity and portability in mind. Take your Brunswick, Volcas and Minirig to the park for an afternoon. Have fun.

A manual is coming soon, we promise.
Branko
I built mine yesterday and was confused cause it was tough to get my envelope to trigger. Thanks for the update! I'll switch out the resistor as soon as I get home!

Some of the capacitor pads were quite tight, but all in all a super easy build, and the thing sounds kickass!

Also went ahead and made a panel. Had some heavy duty laminate on hand, and a piece on Sintra, and it turned out alright. has a kind of frosted look to it:

MalteseSynther
"We also plan on expanding the "range" for the Brunswick - there'll be companion projects in the same form factor at some point in the future."

SlayerBadger! SlayerBadger! screaming goo yo screaming goo yo we're not worthy we're not worthy applause applause It's peanut butter jelly time! It's peanut butter jelly time! nanners nanners Rockin' Banana! Rockin' Banana!
autodafe
wow Branko, very nice Panel !!!!
autodafe
here's mine, with the pankle from Future Sounds Sys made thru Schaeffer (quite expensive, I must admit, but was worth it...)

earlneath
I made a little YouTube video to provide a reference for anyone who is debugging or wants to know what it sounds like.

UPDATE: the issue I was having with gate control l using CV from an external controller has been made possible using the fix described by Future Sound Systems in their posts to this thread. See the short clip below. I understand only a few people have encountered issues with gate control.

futuresoundsystems
earlneath wrote:
The thing l'm wondering is how to gate control the Brunswick using CV from an external controller? CV Pitch from a beatstep or keystep into 1V/Oct in on the Brunswick controls pitch no problem. But how to send gate (on/off) signals to the Brunswick using CV Gate from a controller? I have tried patching from CV Gate on an Arturia beatstep and keystep's to the Brunswick's Envelope Gate with the CV Pitch going into 1V/Oct In on the Brunswick. That isn't successful.

We've had a couple of other users report that changing R5 still doesn't get their envelope triggering. The fix for this, seemingly, is to strap a 100k resistor between pins 2 and 3 of the right-most TL082 IC (the TL082 beneath the power switch). Doing so should put the gate comparator into action for +5V gates, with R5 changed to 47k also.
futuresoundsystems
Also, we're working on a manual for release, hopefully, by the end of the year. However, in the meantime, for those out there who are a little confused by the signal routing on this thing, we've drawn up a signal flow diagram, which can be downloaded here.
csaban
futuresoundsystems wrote:
Also, we're working on a manual for release, hopefully, by the end of the year. However, in the meantime, for those out there who are a little confused by the signal routing on this thing, we've drawn up a signal flow diagram, which can be downloaded here.

Thank you! That's handy!
I saw you guys using the schematics in the thonk youtube video, is that available? Or will that be part of the manual?
earlneath
csaban wrote:
I saw you guys using the schematics in the thonk youtube video, is that available? Or will that be part of the manual?

The FSS post above yours includes a link to the schematic, a PDF version, and I'm attaching it here as a file attachment.
futuresoundsystems
Back in stock at Thonk n o w !
autodafe
I have put the 100K resistor parallel to R5 and also between pin 2 and 3 of the TL082...
Still cannot trigger that envelope...
Just to be sure, GATE goes into Env Gate, right?
autodafe
here's what I did, on the back of the PCB

autodafe
maybe I'm an idiot...but th VCA ENV2 controll needs to be cranked all the way up for the Gate/Env to work at all...(thanks to FSS support)
namke
autodafe wrote:
maybe I'm an idiot...but th VCA ENV2 controll needs to be cranked all the way up for the Gate/Env to work at all...(thanks to FSS support)

I've also had problems with triggering, with both changes in place I can't get mine to 'go'. I'll take another look soon I hope (too many other things on the go!) — I'll try turning the control like you say (thanks!)

It works anyway - the only online recording I have of it is this when I was testing a delay circuit I am playing with smile

[s]https://soundcloud.com/namke/beef-and-delay-2[/s]
namke
autodafe wrote:

:( Nope, still not triggering for me. This is from a Beatstep: according to my scope, the trigger voltage is 7.5 volts…
hofmann25
Maybe I'm missing something. But, I can't find the BOM. meh
MalteseSynther
......anything on the manual please?
Monobass
hofmann25 wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something. But, I can't find the BOM. meh

BOM is here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w346nsAk-6D1RA0EcUY9yLVpzNP4Mu rzi6H-miE2kYE/edit?usp=sharing
wicked_experimenter
i was wondering, if I get two of these connectors, a Y cable and a 9v dc adapter, can I power the brunswick through them?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/9V-Battery-Clip-Converter-Snap-Connect or-2-1mm-5-5mm-Female-Plug-for-Guitar-Effect-One/32800293175.html?spm= 2114.search0104.3.25.2e845b8375c0b6&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb2 01602_4_10065_10068_319_10059_10884_317_10887_10696_321_322_453_10084_ 454_10083_10103_10618_10304_10307_10820_10301_10821_537_536_10902,sear chweb201603_56,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=a8a93f72-78c5-4ca0-973e-0595b23a e0ca-3&algo_pvid=a8a93f72-78c5-4ca0-973e-0595b23ae0ca
namke
wicked_experimenter wrote:
i was wondering, if I get two of these connectors, a Y cable and a 9v dc adapter, can I power the brunswick through them?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/9V-Battery-Clip-Converter-Snap-Connect or-2-1mm-5-5mm-Female-Plug-for-Guitar-Effect-One/32800293175.html?spm= 2114.search0104.3.25.2e845b8375c0b6&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb2 01602_4_10065_10068_319_10059_10884_317_10887_10696_321_322_453_10084_ 454_10083_10103_10618_10304_10307_10820_10301_10821_537_536_10902,sear chweb201603_56,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=a8a93f72-78c5-4ca0-973e-0595b23a e0ca-3&algo_pvid=a8a93f72-78c5-4ca0-973e-0595b23ae0ca

You will need two 9v supplies; the Brunswick uses the 2 9v batteries to produce a +/- 9v supply (e.g. 18v range in total).
Lightman
Hey Girls and Guys.

I just finished up a new Frontplate for the Brunswick - be free to use it...

i have moved the LED.

You can open and edit the File with this great Program:

http://www.schaeffer-ag.de/en/downloads/front_panel_designer

The Frontplate will fit into this:

https://www.reichelt.de/gehaeuse-serie-pult-216-x-130-x-76-mm-teko-363 -p21188.html?

Greetings
Jens (Germany)
hono2k
Hello. I tried to ± 9 V specification using USB battery and DCDC converter.

Lightman
Quote:
Hello. I tried to ± 9 V specification using USB battery and DCDC converter.

Great !!!!!! Does it work? Can you publisch the schematic here??

Greetings
Jens
futuresoundsystems
!!! THE USER MANUAL HAS ARRIVED !!!

Also, our Battery Simulator kit for use with the Brunswick (and more) will be available via Thonk in the coming weeks. Hold tight!
naos
anyone selling a ready-made frontplate? that would greatly increase my GAS over that synth !
a100user
naos wrote:
anyone selling a ready-made frontplate? that would greatly increase my GAS over that synth !

Would be interested too
futuresoundsystems
a100user wrote:
naos wrote:

Would be interested too

We've designed a full enclosure for the Brunswick which will be coming soon at Thonk - keep your eyes peeled!
a100user
a100user wrote:
naos wrote:

Would be interested too

We've designed a full enclosure for the Brunswick which will be coming soon at Thonk - keep your eyes peeled!

Thank you FSS, will keep Thonk on my weekly check list.

I will miss the squeals everytime I pick it up but can live without them smile
mbthey

Having just ordered my kit, should I wait to assemble (jack/knobs) until I am able to fit your new case to them?
autodafe
I have connected a 9v wall transformer instead of the "right" battery (the one directly connected to the on/off switch)
What should I do to power also the second battery compartment?
looks like the + and - of the two batteries are shorted together...is this possible?
thx
bigsecret

Any news on a date for the case and will the case be designed to enclose the battery simulator kit?
futuresoundsystems
mbthey wrote:

Having just ordered my kit, should I wait to assemble (jack/knobs) until I am able to fit your new case to them?

I wouldn't worry about waiting - all the cases we've fitted here have fit perfectly to the bareboards.
futuresoundsystems
bigsecret wrote:

Any news on a date for the case and will the case be designed to enclose the battery simulator kit?

Thonk have all the parts for the case, as well as the PCBs for the BattSim - it might be worth getting in touch with them. Last time we asked, they were waiting for stock of the voltage converter on the BattSim. And yes, the case is designed to fit both the Brunswick and the BattSim board.
futuresoundsystems
autodafe wrote:
I have connected a 9v wall transformer instead of the "right" battery (the one directly connected to the on/off switch)
What should I do to power also the second battery compartment?
looks like the + and - of the two batteries are shorted together...is this possible?
thx

We'd advise against it as it could damage your wall wart supplies if they aren't isolated. What we'd suggest is to wait for the Battery Simulator kit to go up for sale at Thonk hihi
bigsecret
bigsecret wrote:

Thonk have all the parts for the case, as well as the PCBs for the BattSim - it might be worth getting in touch with them. Last time we asked, they were waiting for stock of the voltage converter on the BattSim. And yes, the case is designed to fit both the Brunswick and the BattSim board.

Excellent, thanks for the update. When can I buy a Portland? hyper
bigsecret
Thonk have confirmed that they are waiting on a back order part for the BatSim but currently hope to have the case, BatSim and Portland available in around 4 weeks.
wicked_experimenter
Batsim is on thonk already!
just ordered two, one for brunswick, one for portland.
https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/fss-battery-simulator/
a100user
Received my Battery simulator and enclose for Brunswick today from the loverly people at Thonk.

Looking forward getting it built and put together.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Tech DIY  
Page 1 of 3