[Shipping] Euro DIY Mid/Side Encoder/Decoder PCB/panel

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

I would be interested in:

Through-hole PCB
63%
SMT PCB
37%

Total votes: 70

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:46 am

Thanks- I'll check tomorrow. I had wondered if duplicating my signal into
L & R was the culprit, sounds likely.

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:39 am

Purveyor2 wrote:Thanks- I'll check tomorrow. I had wondered if duplicating my signal into
L & R was the culprit, sounds likely.
If that's what you did then it will definitely have the result of nothing on the side output. It's a stereo processor, it needs a stereo signal fed into it to work in the standard way. :tu:

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:09 pm

Yup - user error. Thanks for the help.

salocinnomis
Common Wiggler

Post by salocinnomis » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:37 am

Just chiming in to thanks Stab Frenzy for this module!

I found my PCB/Panel back few days ago, after moving out between different cities a lot (thought I had long lost it somehow), finally built it yesterday without any troubles (using the mouser BOM) and it's amazing!

Audio rate modulation is wonderful, I'm still exploring possibilities, lots of ideas to experiment, I'll post some samples later on (waiting for my Clouds back from service, the two should play great together!).

Would it possible to buy just a black panel? I have the red one, but a black & gold would be beautiful next to my new mikrophonie. :love:
///

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:03 am

Cheers, glad you're enjoying it! I don't have any spare panels or PCBs left, I've got a couple of through hole modules I'll be putting up on the store soonish and then after that it's only going to be available as a factory built module or from DIY dealer stores. There might be someone with a black panel that wants to swap to get some of that Ken Kesey Buchla vibe in their case though. :party:

salocinnomis
Common Wiggler

Post by salocinnomis » Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:22 am

Ok thanks for the quick reply, I understand, well maybe then I'll build another w. black/gold panel & give the red one to a friend, I'm in the mood for soldering in this moment :hihi:
Do you transfer the design to SMD? That'd be nice for shallower cases (though the actual version fits just fine in mine).
///

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:12 am

Yeah the new version is tweaked a little bit and is shallower and made by robots, although the original is still skiffable at 50mm deep.

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:54 pm

we are VERY happy to report that we have the diy version pcb+panel sets BACK IN STOCK!

enjoy!

http://synthcube.com/cart/worng-mid-sid ... ption=true

mattbiddulph
Learning to Wiggle

Post by mattbiddulph » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:59 pm

synthcube wrote:we are VERY happy to report that we have the diy version pcb+panel sets BACK IN STOCK!
Thanks Synthcube! I just did a build this weekend and it's working great. This is an awesome module.

Here's a tiny Twitter build thread:

and a sound sample:

https://soundcloud.com/mattb/lrmsmslr

In the patch, I take a slow pulsing sound from Plaits and pan it slowly left-right using an LFO through Cold Mac. That goes into LRMSMSLR and I pass the Side through a uVCF lowpass with LFO modulation on the cutoff and high resonance. I pass the Mid through a VCA with LFO modulation on the amplitude. LRMSMSLR puts it back together and the stereo field goes crazy.

The first ten seconds of the audio is in mono. After ten seconds I add in the Cold Mac LFO and then the stereo effect is in place for the rest of the sample.

synthcube
you will be assimilated

Post by synthcube » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:27 am

that's a fantastic demo clip- worth listening to!

thanks!

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:37 am

Hi guys, I had fun building the Full Kit purchased from Thonk quite some time ago, indeed is the 2.0 version of the PCB.

I shot a sort of step by step video of the build and a rough and ready patch/description to quickly test that the build was successful.

I thought if someone is new to DIY, a simple project and video like this could help with jumping in and getting your hands dirty

Easy project, and a very useful module!
[video][/video]

JakoGreyshire
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JakoGreyshire » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:51 am

I quickly flipped through the 7 pages of this thread... Looks like a lot of people got two of these awesome little modules... It might have been covered already, but I started thinking about what it would be like to patch two of these modules in series... Has anyone tried that yet? Lots of ideas I have for that experiment...

I guess I'll have to get a two or three of these and build another case...

:love:
My YouTuBe Page...
The patch you've created in your brain is more challenging to modify than the patch you have on your modular.

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:51 am

JakoGreyshire wrote:I quickly flipped through the 7 pages of this thread... Looks like a lot of people got two of these awesome little modules... It might have been covered already, but I started thinking about what it would be like to patch two of these modules in series... Has anyone tried that yet? Lots of ideas I have for that experiment...

Patching two in series won’t do much that you couldn’t do just by patching into the LR->MS stage and then running your M/S processing chain in series, then back into the MS->LR stage. I imagine people with multiple units are using them to process multiple separate stereo voices or using them for the other utility functions they can do. You could also use multiple units by making a MS voice then going back to LR for some stereo effects and then back to MS to control the width and mono coherence of the stereo effect if you wanted.

JakoGreyshire
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JakoGreyshire » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:18 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
JakoGreyshire wrote:I quickly flipped through the 7 pages of this thread... Looks like a lot of people got two of these awesome little modules... It might have been covered already, but I started thinking about what it would be like to patch two of these modules in series... Has anyone tried that yet? Lots of ideas I have for that experiment...

Patching two in series won’t do much that you couldn’t do just by patching into the LR->MS stage and then running your M/S processing chain in series, then back into the MS->LR stage. I imagine people with multiple units are using them to process multiple separate stereo voices or using them for the other utility functions they can do. You could also use multiple units by making a MS voice then going back to LR for some stereo effects and then back to MS to control the width and mono coherence of the stereo effect if you wanted.
Cool... I can dig that... But I'd still try some experimenting with two modules in series... There is an old trick I picked up from a magazine a while back with dynamic signal processors in series... It might turn out to be not very special..

The last thing you are describing is like cross patching the two modules? That was the picture I was getting... Sounds good.. Now to go build a bigger case...
My YouTuBe Page...
The patch you've created in your brain is more challenging to modify than the patch you have on your modular.

henrry
Common Wiggler

Post by henrry » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:41 am

Hello.

As I didn't find any manual about this module I just would like to be sure whether my unit is working properly or if I did anything wrong during the building process.

I tried to process drums withch where panned in the mix by putting the LRMSMSLR at the end of the mix and it appreard to me that I lost the stereo panning in the process (I don't remember exactly what I used MS processing at this point and left the issue at this stage because I was prepering a performance).
I later tried to see the outputs in the oscilloscope to figure what was actually happennig by feeding the module with two different waveshapes.

The resulting signals were a pair of somehow mirroring waveshapes sounding similarly as one could expect. So reading quickly this thread trying to understand how the circuit operates i just tried to add this mirroring signal to the original panned signal and the result seemed better.

Does this mean that my unit is not working properly or that I just should use a pair of stackcables to feed both a stereo unity mixer and the LRMSMSLR ins, and connect the processed LR out signals to this same unity mixer to have properly balanced stereo image?

JakoGreyshire
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JakoGreyshire » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:56 am

Eh, this should be here for posterity...

[video][/video]
My YouTuBe Page...

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:23 am

henrry wrote:Hello.

As I didn't find any manual about this module I just would like to be sure whether my unit is working properly or if I did anything wrong during the building process.

I tried to process drums withch where panned in the mix by putting the LRMSMSLR at the end of the mix and it appreard to me that I lost the stereo panning in the process (I don't remember exactly what I used MS processing at this point and left the issue at this stage because I was prepering a performance).
I later tried to see the outputs in the oscilloscope to figure what was actually happennig by feeding the module with two different waveshapes.

The resulting signals were a pair of somehow mirroring waveshapes sounding similarly as one could expect. So reading quickly this thread trying to understand how the circuit operates i just tried to add this mirroring signal to the original panned signal and the result seemed better.

Does this mean that my unit is not working properly or that I just should use a pair of stackcables to feed both a stereo unity mixer and the LRMSMSLR ins, and connect the processed LR out signals to this same unity mixer to have properly balanced stereo image?
I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you're saying, but it sounds like maybe you were running a stereo signal into L and R and then monitoring M and S as if they were a stereo signal, which is not how it works. If you patch a stereo signal into L and R and have no processing at all on the MS send and return you'll have the same stereo signal appear on the L and R outputs. If you process the mid and side signals all bets are off, you're then processing the stereo information of the signal which is a powerful technique, depending what you do you can make your signal super wide, make it mono, make it reverse stereo or a bunch of other things. You don't need to use a stereo unity mixer at all, everything you need is in the LRMSMSLR.

The manual is at https://worngelectronics.com if you want to have a read of that and do some of the example patches to get a bit more of an idea of the capabilities of the module and which techniques you can explore.

JakoGreyshire
Ultra Wiggler

Post by JakoGreyshire » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:05 am

I was very excited to build this module.. I followed the mouser cart that Stab Frenzy gave on page three. Thanks for that by the way... The resistors on that cart are crazy nice! I was going to match them up but I figured that matching to the hundredth of a decimal point was splitting hairs... Every 10K resistor was in between 10.08K-10.04K... Since I was getting everything from Mouser I thought that these jacks that mmagin suggested would do..
mmagin wrote: ~snip~
Also CUI MJ-3536 jacks seem to fit perfectly.

~snip~
Well, those CUI MJ-3536 jacks aren't threaded as was the case with darylc here:
darylc wrote:
Also had some jacks without threads lying around which i used on this, i was going to glue the panel to the jacks, but the fit was tight enough and then I had the crazy idea to solder the jacks to the front panel. Worked ok… kinda hard to get a good joint with an iron, a heat gun could work though.
I have proper jacks for the next one :tu:

Thanks for these Morgan!

Well, I didn't have room or want to solder the jacks on to the face plate so I hot glued the jacks to the face plate... It kind of looks bad ass with no hex nuts on the face plate! But if someone reads this and doesn't have a glue gun then just order the PJ302M jacks from Thonk.

I was happy that I got the Black face plate in the order but was surprised that I got board rev. 2.0 from 2015.... The resistors were tight going in just as has been stated before... no big deal though..

I'm just super happy to have a Mid-side module in Eurorack... :yay: :yay:

Thanks Worng!!

ImageImageImage

P.S. it's just a dummy cable to show what it looks like with no hex nuts..
My YouTuBe Page...

LektroiD
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LektroiD » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:34 am

Please count me in for a set with black panel. Thanks

I didn't do the poll, as I would be interested in either (that option wasn't available). Possibly swaying towards SMD as it would more likely fit the depth of my mobile rig

Stab Frenzy
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:30 am

LektroiD wrote:Please count me in for a set with black panel. Thanks

I didn't do the poll, as I would be interested in either (that option wasn't available). Possibly swaying towards SMD as it would more likely fit the depth of my mobile rig
The poll was from three and a half years ago, if you want one now try Synthcube, Thonk or Exploding Shed. :tu:

henrry
Common Wiggler

Post by henrry » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:29 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
henrry wrote:Hello.

I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you're saying, but it sounds like maybe you were running a stereo signal into L and R and then monitoring M and S as if they were a stereo signal, which is not how it works. If you patch a stereo signal into L and R and have no processing at all on the MS send and return you'll have the same stereo signal appear on the L and R outputs. If you process the mid and side signals all bets are off, you're then processing the stereo information of the signal which is a powerful technique, depending what you do you can make your signal super wide, make it mono, make it reverse stereo or a bunch of other things. You don't need to use a stereo unity mixer at all, everything you need is in the LRMSMSLR.

The manual is at https://worngelectronics.com if you want to have a read of that and do some of the example patches to get a bit more of an idea of the capabilities of the module and which techniques you can explore.
Thanks a lot for the link to the manual. Very helpful indeed. The problem was that I was making heavy processing on both mid and side I guess and so lost the stereo...
Tried some simple patches from the manual and ended up doing nice sounding stuff! Maybe I'll end up using this in my live setup!
Cheers

jwhiles
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jwhiles » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:26 pm

I just built one one of the kits available from Thonk, but I'm having some trouble and was wondering someone might be able to help me.

So far as I can tell the 'mid' channel never gets to the 'right' output of my module - so if I plug audio straight into side/mid inputs, whilst monitoring the L and R outputs, I hear the audio from L as expected, but I only hear audio from the side input coming from the R output.

In addition the volume of the R output is notably quieter, even if I am only passing audio into the side channel.

It seems pretty likely that this is due an error I made in building the kit, but I'm pretty knew to building DIY kits and have no real idea of how to start debugging my problem.

One notable mistake I made whilst building the kit was soldering the ICs directly to the PCB, because I didn't spot the included mounts - but I don't think this should have caused any major problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bengarland
Common Wiggler

Re: [Shipping] Euro DIY Mid/Side Encoder/Decoder PCB/panel

Post by bengarland » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:15 am

The CUI MJ-3536 jacks from Mouser DO NOT FIT THE PANEL. The screw threads are about 1.5 mm shorter than the Thonk PJ-302M, so they don't poke through the panel enough to get nuts on them. Somebody should make a note about it at the beginning of this message thread so that these jacks are NOT recommended. It seems only the official PJ-302M jacks fit properly.

Return to “Music Tech DIY”