Soma - LYRA-8 DIY Kit

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

pirx
Common Wiggler

Post by pirx » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:57 pm

Beautiful panel, Branko!

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:09 pm

My build is giving me readings 1v higher than the various test pads. For instance the pad next to the output board is 7v rather than 5.8v. Using 12v center pos power. Any ideas what the issue could be?

I was having symptoms of one bank of oscillators not responding to the panel pots and the delay not working. Found a backward PT chip which was likely the issue there. Accidentally shorted and fried the amp chip before I found the backward IC :bang:

So while I wait for a new 2822 figured I’d ask for input on the voltages.

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:09 pm

All better. Working 100%. Changed power supplies and reworked some wiring. Now for the enclosure.

grm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by grm » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:38 pm

Any clues when the next DIY PCBs might be available?

I got myself on the waiting list, but perhaps one of yous know anything more specific about possible time frames already?

wtk
Common Wiggler

Post by wtk » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:53 pm

grm wrote:Any clues when the next DIY PCBs might be available?

I got myself on the waiting list, but perhaps one of yous know anything more specific about possible time frames already?
I was not expecting it this year, as they wrote me they make them spontaneously when they have some pcbs from main production.. but i just got email that they found a kit for me in the factory, so it seems like i will join lyra diy group soon:)

four_corners
Learning to Wiggle

Post by four_corners » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:09 pm

I've got everything working, except the delay circuit doesn't seem to work... I get the dry signal when the MIX knob is to the left, but as I turn it to the right, it essentially just attenuates the signal until there is no sound. I also tried bringing an external signal in, and the same thing happens.

Anywhere specifically on the PCB I should look? I'm guessing around the PT2399's?

Thanks!
Josh

Purveyor2
Common Wiggler

Post by Purveyor2 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:35 pm

My first build had same issue with the drive section, ultimately it was a problem on the control board. Check around PT chips and your wiring to control board.

shiftr
Common Wiggler

Post by shiftr » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:46 am

I finally finished my Lyra-8...
It's awesome bit i have one complaint about it.
The range of the individual voices is so large that it's really difficult to tune the voices.
I would like to limit the range of the voices. Does anybody know what i should mod to achieve that?

Jarno
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Jarno » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:02 am

Is there a schematic for this thing? Can you check whether the tune pot is connected as voltage divider through a resistor to the VCO? If so, you can then hook up another pot as a voltage divider to the same point through a 3M or so resistor.

shiftr
Common Wiggler

Post by shiftr » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:49 pm

No there are no schematics... So i'm not sure if there is a control voltage going on. Or if the pot is more directly in the oscillator.

Bjarne
Common Wiggler

Post by Bjarne » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi, have you downloaded the files and checked the tweaks.jpg? It hints the caps that define the voice range and potential replacement values.
Cheers
shiftr wrote:No there are no schematics... So i'm not sure if there is a control voltage going on. Or if the pot is more directly in the oscillator.

grm
Learning to Wiggle

Post by grm » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:43 am

wtk wrote:
grm wrote:Any clues when the next DIY PCBs might be available?

I was not expecting it this year, as they wrote me they make them spontaneously when they have some pcbs from main production.. but i just got email that they found a kit for me in the factory, so it seems like i will join lyra diy group soon:)
Lucky you! :party:

I'm still waiting. :waah:

nuketifromorbit
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nuketifromorbit » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:35 am

I got a diy lyra 8 in a trade and while I like it well enough I've noticed theres a bit of a 60hz hum while playing. Its dead silent if the hold knobs are are turned full counter clockwise and I'm not touching the contacts. Is this normal behavior?

shiftr
Common Wiggler

Post by shiftr » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:00 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:I got a diy lyra 8 in a trade and while I like it well enough I've noticed theres a bit of a 60hz hum while playing. Its dead silent if the hold knobs are are turned full counter clockwise and I'm not touching the contacts. Is this normal behavior?
What kind of case is it in? Are the special screening PCB's in?

secrethero303
Common Wiggler

Post by secrethero303 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:58 pm

shiftr wrote:
nuketifromorbit wrote:I got a diy lyra 8 in a trade and while I like it well enough I've noticed theres a bit of a 60hz hum while playing. Its dead silent if the hold knobs are are turned full counter clockwise and I'm not touching the contacts. Is this normal behavior?
I’ll help answer, since it was mine. It is in a 12x12” aluminum Hammond box with an aluminum panel from FPE. There is a non-conductive film between the pcb and panel, and shoulder washers between the thumb screws and panel. The special shield PCBs are also installed, yes.

Did others add wires on the output pcb to make contact form the small ground plane area to the case to keep contact or not? I did and maybe that is creating a ground loop? Any other ideas would be appreciated as I’d like to sort this out for nukeitfromorbit

nuketifromorbit
Wiggling with Experience

Post by nuketifromorbit » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:27 pm

shiftr wrote:
No idea, but the case is a nice metal one, and it looks near identical to the manufactured model.

Bjarne
Common Wiggler

Post by Bjarne » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:56 am

Hi Branko,

If/when you have some progress and extras I’m interested in a panel/case (in orange, white, black, or...). I’ve just started sourcing the parts for my build.

Cheers
Branko wrote: Now I gotta figure out a case to go along with the panel. Should have updates this coming week.

Branko
Common Wiggler

Post by Branko » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:20 am

Bjarne wrote:Hi Branko,

If/when you have some progress and extras I’m interested in a panel/case (in orange, white, black, or...). I’ve just started sourcing the parts for my build.

Cheers
Branko wrote: Now I gotta figure out a case to go along with the panel. Should have updates this coming week.
Hey!

I can get a panel made for you. Do you have any preference as far as color?

Shoot me a PM.

Bjarne
Common Wiggler

Post by Bjarne » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:18 am

Thanks Branko! I sent you a PM. :hail:
Branko wrote:
I can get a panel made for you. Do you have any preference as far as color?

Shoot me a PM.

t3hh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by t3hh » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:48 am

Master G wrote:
pix wrote:I'm almost done with the main voice board (v2.6) and found some differences compared to the BOM, namely

6x 4.7uF electrolytic instead of 5x

1x 2.2uF ceramic/metal film that is not in the BOM

2x 4.7uF ceramic/metal film that is not in the BOM

are these values correct? can anyone confirm this for me?

thanks!
Hey all, 50% done with the built of LYRA-8

Confirm the discrepancies with the BOM:
· 4 x 47uf EL CAP (total 32, not 28)
· 2 x 10uf CERAMIC CAP (not included in BOM)
· 3 x 2.2uf CERAMIC CAP (not included in BOM)
· 1 x 1.8nf CERAMIC CAP (not included in BOM, 1.2nf is in the BOM that is not found on PCB)
· 8 x 4.7uf CERAMIC CAP (this one not sure about how many, do this list post fact)
Good luck to all of you;) :bananaguitar:
Yes, there seem to be some caps and resistors missing in BOM or have incorrect number. The main board requires:
- 6 x 4,7mF EL CAP (instead of 5 in BOM),
- 2 x 4,7mF CER CAP (not in BOM),
- 1 x 2,2mF CER CAP (not in older BOM),
- 4 x 43 KO resistor (instead of 3 in BOM),
- one resistor that I forgot but it was mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'm still working with the main board so no knowledge of the control board yet. Having a hard time on tracking down those eighth 10mF unipolar electrolytic caps... Also, finding good compact multilevel potentiometers is a pain (attack hack is requiring two 4x1MO pots). Ok, back to work.

Zergon
Common Wiggler

Post by Zergon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:35 am

t3hh wrote:Having a hard time on tracking down those eighth 10mF unipolar electrolytic caps....
I used these ones:
https://www.banzaimusic.com/Nichicon-MU ... F-25V.html

Yesterday I finished building Lyra, after some troubleshooting (faulty delay ICs, cold solder joints...) it works great. Will post some pics later on.

t3hh
Learning to Wiggle

Post by t3hh » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Zergon wrote:
t3hh wrote:Having a hard time on tracking down those eighth 10mF unipolar electrolytic caps....
I used these ones:
https://www.banzaimusic.com/Nichicon-MU ... F-25V.html

Yesterday I finished building Lyra, after some troubleshooting (faulty delay ICs, cold solder joints...) it works great. Will post some pics later on.
thanks, I'll check these. Any suggestions for decent compact pots? I'm thinking of using https://www.mouser.ee/datasheet/2/54/td90-777943.pdf Bourns PTD90 models as Mouser seems to have reasonably good selection of these, but it turns out they lack the PTD904 1MO that I need to use for Attack regulation.
Anyway, I'm glad the build worked out for you!

Zergon
Common Wiggler

Post by Zergon » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:35 am

Great instrument, so many crazy possibilities.
I made the enclosure from forex (pvc) sheets.

wtk
Common Wiggler

Post by wtk » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:39 am

VCOscillator wrote: If it is OK with Vlad I would be happy to upload and share the Gerbers for the expander PCBs.
so can you share the expander gerbers? that would be great, i am about to start building soon

chinoxr
Learning to Wiggle

Post by chinoxr » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:56 am

This is awesome device with own personality , wish i could have one ... :)

Return to “Music Tech DIY”