New Syncussion with MIDI and Silent power - VIDEOS

From circuitbending to homebrew stompboxes & synths, keep the DIY spirit alive!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

satindas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by satindas » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:52 am

huglo wrote:
satindas wrote: The Tune input is really just the same as the original with the addition of the trimmer for the V/Oct scaling.

I would start by tracing through with your multi-meter.... you may have cut cut the header pins too short in which case the signal from the Tune input jack wont be reaching the top board!

If you feed in a CV you should see a voltage at the bottom of R2-1 for channel 1 and at the top of R41 for channel 2. Bear in mind that depending on the position of the trimmer, this voltage may not be identical to the CV you're feeding in.

If you do see a voltage at those points you might need to take a look at the resistor values around U1 (ch1) and U7 (ch2) but that's unlikely to be the issue if your Tune sliders are working.
Thank you for your quick response, everything was ok actually, the mistake was from me.

I 've got a new problem anyway, everything was working so far, I try to improve the CV calibration but now both channels are mute.. except in F mode(LFO and S/H are OK) I probably burn something by contact, there's no component that affect both channels, right?
I need to check again VCA and VCO.

Are the point 1 and 2 the same than the THC SY-1?
If Mode F is getting through then the VCA's are working.
Yes .. Points 1 and 2 are the same as the THC and original versions
There's nothing other than the noise source and power which is common to both channels.....I'd suggest that you try swapping out the 4069's
These are bizarre manifestations of untamed high-frequency parasitic oscillations...
www.psycox.co.uk

satindas
Veteran Wiggler

Post by satindas » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:54 am

akos.turi wrote:I have been building a PsyCo X SY-1M for a friend of mine. I had some issues with the SMD trannies. A professionalist re-soldered the SMDs with hot-air. It was perfect. After 2 days on CH1 B and E modes have low volume level again. Is there anyone who knows which transistors connects to these mode?
I think I responded to your email about this... :hmm:
These are bizarre manifestations of untamed high-frequency parasitic oscillations...
www.psycox.co.uk

akos.turi
Learning to Wiggle

Post by akos.turi » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:54 pm

satindas wrote:I think I responded to your email about this... :hmm:
Yes, thank you! 8-)

julienvoirin
Learning to Wiggle

Post by julienvoirin » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:11 pm

Dear fellows,

after assembling and debugging several units of SY1 and SY1M, i am stuck on the last one : i can't find what's wrong.

The problem appends on lower voice only.
When i play a trigger just after booting, it works fine. But if i let trigger the lower voice during 5 minutes, the VCF starts to have errors. The triangle of VCO1 is good and well shaped all the time, hence i am practically sure that the defect is in the VCF. I've noticed by comparison to the upper voice that there is +0,7V on the + side of C14.(should be 0V)

I am using the setup on picture below (VCO choice = A). Other pics show the output of lower voice at time = 1min and time = 5min with the same setup.

Does anybody encountered a similar issue, and how did you solved it ?
I've swapped the 4069, the single transistors, the OpAmp and even crossed some BCM with the upper voice, without success.

cheers

jimfowler
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimfowler » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:42 am

Happy to report that my unit is now utterly silent after having installed the psu add-on pcb (supplied/designed by DSL-man and Psycox). In case anybody else needs some clarification, I've added a photo of the parts that need to come off.

- Jim

Bjarne
Common Wiggler

Post by Bjarne » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:08 pm

Sorry for asking, but is the noise mod board needed for SY-1M? I thought the SY-1M had solved the issues with noisy power supply!?

Cheers
aabbcc wrote:Meh I just installed the noise mod board and now it's quite :)

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:18 pm

It’s not needed on the SY-1M.
But few users (5-10) that’s maybe 0.5% of all devices got a coil problem, high frequency tones.
But I can measure tomorrow the noise ratio with my FFT analyzer.
I have 5 different syncussions for testing here.
################################
TTSH Support Page and other DIY Projects:
https://www.DSL-man.de

huglo
Learning to Wiggle

Post by huglo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:51 pm

satindas wrote: If Mode F is getting through then the VCA's are working.
Yes .. Points 1 and 2 are the same as the THC and original versions
There's nothing other than the noise source and power which is common to both channels.....I'd suggest that you try swapping out the 4069's
You were right !
Thank you once again Simon

shiftr
Common Wiggler

Post by shiftr » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:22 am

I have finally finished mine from the first batch...
I also has the problem that the voices get softer after a short time after power up.
Anything particular i should check?
thanks!

shiftr
Common Wiggler

Post by shiftr » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:27 pm

The behavior changed a bit... Maybe it also helped i resoldered a lot of the ground points.

Now it works well at startup. But after a short while the sound just gets weaker. Not really softer. For example the noise sounds fine in the beginning but after a while it starts to sound gritty and distorted.
What could this be? :hmm:

FactoryDefault
Common Wiggler

Post by FactoryDefault » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:03 pm

My syncussion in action:

[video][/video]

I think Rube Goldberg would dig it.

Altitude909
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Altitude909 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:18 pm

shiftr wrote:The behavior changed a bit... Maybe it also helped i resoldered a lot of the ground points.

Now it works well at startup. But after a short while the sound just gets weaker. Not really softer. For example the noise sounds fine in the beginning but after a while it starts to sound gritty and distorted.
Measure your power rails at start up and when it gets weaker

mick
Common Wiggler

Post by mick » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:35 am

satindas wrote:
synthpriest wrote:Do you plan doing another run of the SY-1M or is it gone forever? :bang:
No definite plans yet but it's quite possible there will be another run at some point.
Ah I just emailed you about this, but I guess I have my answer now.

We need that 3rd run :tu:

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:36 am

There’s a third run in April.

pieterv1
Learning to Wiggle

Post by pieterv1 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:09 pm

* Edit: fixed! Had constructed the midi cable wrong ;) and the adapter included with my Korg SQ-1 is wired differently as well

Hello fellow builders! I recently finished my long-delayed Syncusion SY-1M build. With no SMD experience at all, I was happy to have both voices working perfectly :) (using triggers..)

However, I can't seem to get Midi input working.. I've already received a 2nd Atmega chip, but the problem persists. All dip switches are in the upper position and I've cycled through all midi channels in my DAW.

Here's 2 measurements I did on the Atmega:
First one's on Digital input 0 (pin2 of the Atmega 328). It shows MIDI data is coming in from the optocoupler:

This is the clock signal from the crystal on pin 10.. Is it supposed to be around 360mv pk-pk only?

shiftr
Common Wiggler

Post by shiftr » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:59 am

Altitude909 wrote:
shiftr wrote:The behavior changed a bit... Maybe it also helped i resoldered a lot of the ground points.

Measure your power rails at start up and when it gets weaker
Thanks!
It seems solved now.I think it was the soldering on the 1 Ohm resistor.

Did anybody make a mod to have both drums on one output? Seems to be handy to me.

drakos
Learning to Wiggle

Post by drakos » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:17 pm

Just finished my build. Everything is working as expected except that the oscillator mode knobs don't effect anything. I'm guessing i cut the pin connectors too short????

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:25 pm

drakos wrote:Just finished my build. Everything is working as expected except that the oscillator mode knobs don't effect anything. I'm guessing i cut the pin connectors too short????
Or both 4069er defect, or the rotary switch locking key in wrong place, turn him anti clockwise before you install the lock.

Edit: works the noise ?

drakos
Learning to Wiggle

Post by drakos » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:44 pm

LED-man wrote:
drakos wrote:Just finished my build. Everything is working as expected except that the oscillator mode knobs don't effect anything. I'm guessing i cut the pin connectors too short????
Or both 4069er defect, or the rotary switch locking key in wrong place, turn him anti clockwise before you install the lock.

Edit: works the noise ?
My rotary switches were setup incorrectly. Thanks for your help.

Issue now is that the channels don’t produce the same sound with similar settings. Voice 2 is much lower in pitch.

LED-man
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by LED-man » Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:20 pm

Are the voices calibrated ?

drakos
Learning to Wiggle

Post by drakos » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:33 am

LED-man wrote:Are the voices calibrated ?
Not yet. I’m just triggering the voices from the trigger buttons.
Should the voice tuning pots on the side effect the voice pitch when using the trigger buttons? At the moment it’s not.

aabbcc
Wiggling with Experience

Post by aabbcc » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:03 am

drakos wrote:
Should the voice tuning pots on the side effect the voice pitch when using the trigger buttons? At the moment it’s not.
What do you mean by voice tuning pots in the side? The small potentiometers on the short side of the unit are for adjusting the trigger input level :p

drakos
Learning to Wiggle

Post by drakos » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:07 am

aabbcc wrote:
drakos wrote:
What do you mean by voice tuning pots in the side? The small potentiometers on the short side of the unit are for adjusting the trigger input level :p
Sorry. Yes i just realised that. doh.
in regards to calibration. when the build manual refers to 'Ch1 TUNE' where do i find this control?

drakos
Learning to Wiggle

Post by drakos » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:07 am

aabbcc wrote:
drakos wrote:
Sorry. Yes i just realised that. doh.
in regards to calibration. when the build manual refers to 'Ch1 TUNE' where do i find this control?

Bodo1967
Veteran Wiggler

Post by Bodo1967 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:37 am

drakos wrote:when the build manual refers to 'Ch1 TUNE' where do i find this control?

Or, without the case:

The VCO2 offset trimmers you need for adjusting are on the voice board:

It works, obviously, the same way for channel 2 :).
... why buy it for $100 when you can build it yourself for $150?

Return to “Music Tech DIY”