Longer delays: *MP3 AUDIO FILE*

Discussion and support for Synthetic Sound Labs modules and devices.

Moderators: Kent, dslocum

russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Longer delays: *MP3 AUDIO FILE*

Post by russma » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:08 pm

The module description states:

"You can even force the module for longer delays, but digital quantizing noise becomes audible - but who's to say what's musical and what's not?
"

So, somebody post a sound clip of the quantizing noise already!

:despair:

:hihi:
Last edited by russma on Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kent
Large Member

Post by Kent » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:42 pm

It sounds like a fancy-pants way of saying that you can reduce the sampling rate.

krv
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by krv » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:24 pm

Things I don't understand...are way too many, I know...but isn't this a digital delay?

ritchiedrums
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ritchiedrums » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:28 am

Here it is!!

4 notes into SSL delay.
I steadily increased the LFO rate to the CV in
and tweeked the DELAY, RECIRC & CV knobs throughout.....
Attachments
SSL-clips.mp3
(5.79 MiB) Downloaded 23 times

dslocum
darwin's nemesis

Post by dslocum » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:44 pm

I want to publicly thank Ritchie for the videos and audio clips of my module. I've been really too busy designing the next "great?" module that I haven't had a chance to put together something myself. Nice job, Ritchie!

BTW, that last clip really gets to a simple sound and just how much (or little, depending on your prespective) delay you can really get. When it's at Max delay on the front panel, it goes pretty far "into the grass", noise wise but because Ritchie seemed to always have some delay modulation, the quantizing noise not terribly apparent because it doesn't last that long. Maybe asked nicely, Ritchie could do one more quick audio that shows the 1310 at steady Max delay. There's only so much delay you can squeeze out of that chip!

Regarding the "noise" question - I could get beat-up here, but for the sake of this discussion, I'm going to say that quantizing and sampling noise are roughly the same thing. (running and ducking)

Yes, this IS a DIGITAL delay, in that the incoming audio is first converted from the analog world to the digital world, then delayed inthe digital world, and finally converted back to analog. Whereas a true analog bucket brigade (BBD style) delay, will stay in the analog world.

Frankly, IMHO (beat me now please), from a strict technical standpoint, I can't see how there's a significant audible difference, except in the pre & post filtering, combined with subtile (and this is where the real deltas are), the minute voltage losses between analog shift register stages in the BBDs. This could be a whole sidebar discussion that would likely only exume the dead horse, only to beat it again. Any takers? :hihi:

ALSO - If anyone who has a deposit gets cold feet, I'll refund your deposit. Since this 1310 is my entre into this market, if anyone of the "first run" folks don't absolutely love it within 30 days in resellable condition, I'll refund every penny you spent, including your return shipping. I want my customer service to approach or be on par with Roger's @ Synthesizers.com. I think it's the best way to gain and retain customers - long term!!!!! Thanks for the business model Roger!

Confidence? Neah, just stupid I guess. :nana:

krv
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by krv » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:41 pm

dslocum wrote:
Yes, this IS a DIGITAL delay, in that the incoming audio is first converted from the analog world to the digital world, then delayed inthe digital world, and finally converted back to analog. Whereas a true analog bucket brigade (BBD style) delay, will stay in the analog world.
Aaaah... now I get it, thanks! :tu:
dslocum wrote:
Frankly, IMHO (beat me now please), from a strict technical standpoint, I can't see how there's a significant audible difference, except in the pre & post filtering, combined with subtile (and this is where the real deltas are), the minute voltage losses between analog shift register stages in the BBDs. This could be a whole sidebar discussion that would likely only exume the dead horse, only to beat it again. Any takers? :hihi:
I won't enter any discussion digital vs. analog delay, I love them both and I own them both just wasn't sure which one yours was, it sounds lovely anyway!

ritchiedrums
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ritchiedrums » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:56 pm

I have digital & analog delays that are in use constantly.
It's hard top believe anyone will not be happy with this $200.00 module.
:hail: :hail: :hail:

fac
wig MUffler

Post by fac » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:49 pm

What? So this thing introduces digital artifacts?

Bring it ON!

I love me some quantizing noise. I have a Yamaha E1010 BBD delay as part of my modular setup, and while I love it, the noise floor sometimes drives me crazy. I also have an Electrix MoFx (100% digital), and I love running signals through it with a very short delay time and high feedback because it sounds like sample rate reduction. Every delay box I've used does its own thing.

analogsteve
There is no Santa Claus

Post by analogsteve » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:19 am

dslocum wrote:If anyone who has a deposit gets cold feet, I'll refund your deposit. Since this 1310 is my entre into this market, if anyone of the "first run" folks don't absolutely love it within 30 days in resellable condition, I'll refund every penny you spent, including your return shipping. I want my customer service to approach or be on par with Roger's @ Synthesizers.com. I think it's the best way to gain and retain customers - long term!!!!! Thanks for the business model Roger!

Confidence? Neah, just stupid I guess. :nana:
Wow. That is really going above and beyond. Awesome.

russma
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by russma » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:29 pm

I might be misreading the direction this thread is taking, but for the record, I only requested clips so that I could hear how awesome the quantizing noise will sound, not because I'm concerned I won't like the module.

:party:

essex sound lab
wiggler of the spheres

Post by essex sound lab » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:44 pm

idiotboy wrote:I might be misreading the direction this thread is taking, but for the record, I only requested clips so that I could hear how awesome the quantizing noise will sound, not because I'm concerned I won't like the module.

:party:
That's how I took it, FWIW. :hihi:

ritchiedrums
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ritchiedrums » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:17 pm

I'm pretty sure the noizy delay at the end of this MP3 is it,
but I could be wrong :doh:
BTW :sb: This thing is Awsome(and I never use that A-word :lol: )

Return to “Synthetic Sound Labs”