Stereo Triggered Sampler from 4ms

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
4mspedals
Veteran Wiggler
Posts: 644
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:36 am
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Post by 4mspedals » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:49 pm

Bartelby wrote:
dinosaurs wrote: i wouldn't get your hopes up. it seems this is an abandoned module, as the last and only(?) update was over a year ago and 4ms has released several products since.
You’re not wrong. I emailed them today about new firmware and got the following reply:

“We are not currently working on a firmware update for the STS.”
Sorry, that’s not right! There was some confusion in our shop about this and you should be getting an email with a correction. The new version has been delayed, but it’s still in the works.

If anyone is eager, a beta version with some of the features is ready to go (including 96kHz recording, color adjustment for the LEDs, and more...) Please email us if you want to get the link!

dinosaurs
Common Wiggler
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:41 pm
Location: yes

Post by dinosaurs » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:01 pm

Bartelby wrote:
dinosaurs wrote: i wouldn't get your hopes up. it seems this is an abandoned module, as the last and only(?) update was over a year ago and 4ms has released several products since.
You’re not wrong. I emailed them today about new firmware and got the following reply:

“We are not currently working on a firmware update for the STS.”
nm, not all hope is lost!
Last edited by dinosaurs on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bartelby
Common Wiggler
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 12:40 pm
Location: Penperlleni, Sunny Wales
Contact:

Post by Bartelby » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:43 am

4mspedals wrote:
Bartelby wrote:
dinosaurs wrote: i wouldn't get your hopes up. it seems this is an abandoned module, as the last and only(?) update was over a year ago and 4ms has released several products since.
You’re not wrong. I emailed them today about new firmware and got the following reply:

“We are not currently working on a firmware update for the STS.”
Sorry, that’s not right! There was some confusion in our shop about this and you should be getting an email with a correction. The new version has been delayed, but it’s still in the works.

If anyone is eager, a beta version with some of the features is ready to go (including 96kHz recording, color adjustment for the LEDs, and more...) Please email us if you want to get the link!
Email received!
Many thanks for the correction.
:razz:

User avatar
dare
Common Wiggler
Posts: 141
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Location: Melbourne

Post by dare » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:36 am

Gyroscope wrote:Is it possible to get seamless loops with the STS. Almost every time I try to record directly in the module, the sample is unusable because of very loud clicks. I tried using the scrubbing function but that seems very unusable too. Anyone found a solution for this?
Have you tried turning on the Fade in/out envelopes
: this is a very short envelope applied to the beginning and end of
playback when
Length is over 50%. It reduces clicks when starting, stopping, or looping,
especially when starting or ending in the middle of a sample file.

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:27 pm
Location: In the North

Post by Gyroscope » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:34 am

dare wrote:
Gyroscope wrote:Is it possible to get seamless loops with the STS. Almost every time I try to record directly in the module, the sample is unusable because of very loud clicks. I tried using the scrubbing function but that seems very unusable too. Anyone found a solution for this?
Have you tried turning on the Fade in/out envelopes
: this is a very short envelope applied to the beginning and end of
playback when
Length is over 50%. It reduces clicks when starting, stopping, or looping,
especially when starting or ending in the middle of a sample file.
Yes I did. It seems to smooth the loop point a little bit but not enough for it to be usable. Does it work for you?

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:27 pm
Location: In the North

Post by Gyroscope » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:41 am

4mspedals wrote:
Bartelby wrote:
dinosaurs wrote: i wouldn't get your hopes up. it seems this is an abandoned module, as the last and only(?) update was over a year ago and 4ms has released several products since.
You’re not wrong. I emailed them today about new firmware and got the following reply:

“We are not currently working on a firmware update for the STS.”
Sorry, that’s not right! There was some confusion in our shop about this and you should be getting an email with a correction. The new version has been delayed, but it’s still in the works.

If anyone is eager, a beta version with some of the features is ready to go (including 96kHz recording, color adjustment for the LEDs, and more...) Please email us if you want to get the link!
Great to hear! A functionality to smooth loop points would be great...

Gyroscope
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:27 pm
Location: In the North

Post by Gyroscope » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:37 am

Anyone received the new beta firmware? I wrote to 4ms Monday and still haven't heard back.

User avatar
Bartelby
Common Wiggler
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 12:40 pm
Location: Penperlleni, Sunny Wales
Contact:

Post by Bartelby » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:48 pm

I have. Not decided whether to upgrade yet though...

User avatar
novim
Common Wiggler
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:34 pm
Location: Ottawa

Post by novim » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:44 pm

Any notable additions or tweaks beyond 96kHz recording and LED adjustments?

EDIT: If beta testers are at liberty to say, that is. Please ignore if not.

User avatar
Bartelby
Common Wiggler
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon May 07, 2018 12:40 pm
Location: Penperlleni, Sunny Wales
Contact:

Post by Bartelby » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:21 am

novim wrote: EDIT: If beta testers are at liberty to say, that is. Please ignore if not.
No public discussion is part of the testing agreement.

User avatar
novim
Common Wiggler
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:34 pm
Location: Ottawa

Post by novim » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:54 am

Fair enough. Thanks. Realized that right after I posted.

dinosaurs
Common Wiggler
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:41 pm
Location: yes

Post by dinosaurs » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:43 pm

4MS has completely taken the piss with supporting this module.

this module was released in 2017 and we're STILL waiting on any substantive firmware updates/improvements.

unacceptable in a $450 module.

uniquepersonno2
Ultra Wiggler
Posts: 976
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:11 pm
Location: LA

Post by uniquepersonno2 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:06 pm

dinosaurs wrote:4MS has completely taken the piss with supporting this module.

this module was released in 2017 and we're STILL waiting on any substantive firmware updates/improvements.

unacceptable in a $450 module.
:hmm: There was a relatively substantial update already, and they just announced an available beta firmware they're working on. What aren't they supporting? I've had zero issues with mine in all the time I've had it.

User avatar
tenshun
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:40 pm
Contact:

Post by tenshun » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:45 pm

Does anyone have the new beta firmware they are willing to share?

i emailed 4ms and never got a reply.

thanks!

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:32 pm
Location: Portland
Contact:

Post by OHEXOH » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:51 am

4mspedals wrote:
pinkflag16 wrote:
- This may be a long shot, but... Would you ever consider making a CHEAP, plastic even, 20hp powered enclosure to use this as a standalone? I could see using this on its own, and portability would be a huge plus. I don't want to pop for a larger mini case just for one module.
2) Probably not for me to make. But someone should make that!
The moment Pods were born? :hihi:

I’m itching to play with the new OS... I wonder when it might be released?
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

User avatar
tenshun
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:40 pm
Contact:

Post by tenshun » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:14 am

OHEXOH wrote:
4mspedals wrote:
pinkflag16 wrote:
- This may be a long shot, but... Would you ever consider making a CHEAP, plastic even, 20hp powered enclosure to use this as a standalone? I could see using this on its own, and portability would be a huge plus. I don't want to pop for a larger mini case just for one module.
2) Probably not for me to make. But someone should make that!
The moment Pods were born? :hihi:

I’m itching to play with the new OS... I wonder when it might be released?

im still waiting for a reply from 4ms about the beta
firmware. i guess they kinda put this module on the side to focus on that new wave table shit they just released

dinosaurs
Common Wiggler
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:41 pm
Location: yes

Post by dinosaurs » Sat May 11, 2019 9:36 pm

It's absolutely unacceptable that over 1.5 years since release, we're still waiting on any firmware update for a $450 module. meanwhile 4ms has released other modules and cases.

its an absolute piss-take. that $450 is the last money 4ms will ever see from me.

3D_PIPES
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri May 12, 2017 9:00 am

Post by 3D_PIPES » Sun May 12, 2019 9:45 am

uniquepersonno2 wrote:
dinosaurs wrote:4MS has completely taken the piss with supporting this module.

this module was released in 2017 and we're STILL waiting on any substantive firmware updates/improvements.

unacceptable in a $450 module.
:hmm: There was a relatively substantial update already, and they just announced an available beta firmware they're working on. What aren't they supporting? I've had zero issues with mine in all the time I've had it.
Same here. What issue are you hoping to resolve Dinosaur? Or is it that you are you hoping 4MS adds additional functionality?

User avatar
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1077
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Contact:

Post by BaloErets » Sun May 12, 2019 11:13 am

dinosaurs wrote:It's absolutely unacceptable that over 1.5 years since release, we're still waiting on any firmware update for a $450 module. meanwhile 4ms has released other modules and cases.

its an absolute piss-take. that $450 is the last money 4ms will ever see from me.
What exactly is not working for you? What is the issue you are expecting them to solve?

User avatar
Misk
Common Wiggler
Posts: 161
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:57 pm
Location: Seattle

Post by Misk » Sun May 12, 2019 5:27 pm

dinosaurs wrote:4MS has completely taken the piss with supporting this module.

this module was released in 2017 and we're STILL waiting on any substantive firmware updates/improvements.

unacceptable in a $450 module.
I've had zero issues with mine since i bought it a year ago. It's one of the most stable "stm-based" modules in my rack, and the only problem i've ever had turned out to be related to an unproperly formatted uSD card. It's a beast and I love it.

I'd love to get on the beta firmware to see what kind of cool updates they've included, but even if they never update it again, I love the way it is. This was my first substantial 4MS module (aside from my DIY RCD and breakout), and I absolutely love the way they approach their interfaces. Any "combos" are super easy to learn, and not only are all the operations super straightforward, but I'd argue that the most difficult thing about learning the STS for me, was remembering the order of their color codes. Other than that this shit is as intuitive as fuck.

User avatar
BaloErets
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1077
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Contact:

Post by BaloErets » Tue May 14, 2019 1:58 pm

Misk wrote:
dinosaurs wrote:4MS has completely taken the piss with supporting this module.

this module was released in 2017 and we're STILL waiting on any substantive firmware updates/improvements.

unacceptable in a $450 module.
I've had zero issues with mine since i bought it a year ago. It's one of the most stable "stm-based" modules in my rack, and the only problem i've ever had turned out to be related to an unproperly formatted uSD card. It's a beast and I love it.

I'd love to get on the beta firmware to see what kind of cool updates they've included, but even if they never update it again, I love the way it is. This was my first substantial 4MS module (aside from my DIY RCD and breakout), and I absolutely love the way they approach their interfaces. Any "combos" are super easy to learn, and not only are all the operations super straightforward, but I'd argue that the most difficult thing about learning the STS for me, was remembering the order of their color codes. Other than that this shit is as intuitive as fuck.
Exactly my experience as well. There are times when I get slight clicks at the start of a sample, which is to be expected when sampling on the fly. A quick trip into an audio editor to trim the sample at the zero-crossing, and it's good to go :tu:

ckwjr
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 251
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:30 am

Post by ckwjr » Wed May 15, 2019 10:50 am

Yeah mine has performed flawlessly to date as well.

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:02 am
Location: Australia

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Thu May 16, 2019 8:13 am

Anyone been able to change the default bank by holding edit+bank1+bank2+left play? This doesnt seem to work for me and keeps resetting to the first white bank when I power cycle. I have the latest 1.4 firmware.

Also, I just realised I can't seem to save any edits to samples I record. The recordings are saved but when I make any changes to them like increase gain or copy them to another bank and I hold edit+left play, all the lights flash red then grey. When I power cycle the changes are not saved. I've even tried loading firmware 1.3 but its exactly the same issue there - every other edit function works, just save doesnt.

c0ntr4d1ct10n
Common Wiggler
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:02 am
Location: Australia

Post by c0ntr4d1ct10n » Fri May 17, 2019 5:24 am

c0ntr4d1ct10n wrote:Anyone been able to change the default bank by holding edit+bank1+bank2+left play? This doesnt seem to work for me and keeps resetting to the first white bank when I power cycle. I have the latest 1.4 firmware.

Also, I just realised I can't seem to save any edits to samples I record. The recordings are saved but when I make any changes to them like increase gain or copy them to another bank and I hold edit+left play, all the lights flash red then grey. When I power cycle the changes are not saved. I've even tried loading firmware 1.3 but its exactly the same issue there - every other edit function works, just save doesnt.
So I've investigated a bit further and I suspect its something to do with the sdcard. I tried another sdcard, which is formatted as FAT32 and it saves no problems. I have noticed that the sdcard which came with the STS is exFAT.

gonzohj
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:30 pm

Post by gonzohj » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:13 am

Any news about the new firmware?

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”