ACL Sinfonion

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
User avatar
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3681
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am
Location: New York City

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:20 am

:yay:

[video][/video]

cioaudio
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: UK

Post by cioaudio » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:30 pm

Another superb video

User avatar
batch
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1044
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 7:15 am
Location: San Francisco

Post by batch » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:08 pm

Any update on when these might start shipping?
FS: Erica Synths Hi-Hats D $175, Cymbals $175, Stereo Mixer v2 $100, Intellijel 1U Pedal IO $70, MIDI $110, Rebel Tech Bit Reactor $95

cioaudio
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: UK

Post by cioaudio » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:47 pm

the stores who have ordered suggest June

User avatar
Innerself2007
Common Wiggler
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:12 pm
Location: Central NJ

Post by Innerself2007 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:16 pm

Probably a question more for Detroit Modular but does anyone know why its says "Out of stock" on their order page for the Sinfonion? It used to have a pre-order button.
I see I can pre-order at Perfect Circle, any other U.S. stores to pre-order?
Looking forward to this one.

User avatar
monads
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1966
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:05 am
Location: Odyssey Island
Contact:

Post by monads » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:09 pm

They probably took down the ''pre-order" after accounting for their initial batch of shipment being sold out. Perfect Circuit normally keeps pre-orders open and fills them as batches become available/order preference from line in the queue.

User avatar
Innerself2007
Common Wiggler
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:12 pm
Location: Central NJ

Post by Innerself2007 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:07 am

monads wrote:They probably took down the ''pre-order" after accounting for their initial batch of shipment being sold out. Perfect Circuit normally keeps pre-orders open and fills them as batches become available/order preference from line in the queue.
OK good to know, thanks for the info

User avatar
Innerself2007
Common Wiggler
Posts: 221
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:12 pm
Location: Central NJ

Post by Innerself2007 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:23 am

Just placed my order with Perfect Circuit!
Looking forward to this one!

obust
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:38 am

Post by obust » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:29 am

Hi Supermathi !

Great work on the Sinfonion. I am looking into Quad VCOs to play the chords. I saw that you recommended the Doepfer A-111-4 quad VCO.
Supermathi wrote:Just got my A-111-4 Doepfer quad VCO. Awesome module and a perfect match for the CHORDS section of the sinfonion...
However, I have been lurking at 4ms SWN (Spherical Wavetable Navigator) and wondered if it would be a good match with the Sinfonion.
Aside from the fact that only 4 voice out of 6 would be used when paired with the Sinfonion, I think that the spherical wavetables is a great way to expand what the chords can do and is orthogonal to the Sinfonion controls. This echos @mdoudoroff previous comment:
mdoudoroff wrote:Supermathi’s video makes me pine for a compact quad oscillator built around DCOs, with only one tuning control that sets the base frequency for all four oscillators, four 1v/o jacks, and only as many additional controls/ins/outs as really add value for the chordal context. A fully digital quad wavetable oscillator might make sense here, with an emphasis on low harmonic content waveforms? Maybe even optional sub octave added in? Perhaps some internal output rotation/mixing to make patch management more conveniently flexible?

The A-111-4 is a good value, and it has the sum outs, which is nice, but I think there’s a growing niche market for something even more focused (not just because of the Sinfonion).
Do you see any potential functional conflict between SWN and Sinfonion ?

User avatar
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3681
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am
Location: New York City

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:36 am

obust wrote:Aside from the fact that only 4 voice out of 6 would be used when paired with the Sinfonion, I think that the spherical wavetables is a great way to expand what the chords can do and is orthogonal to the Sinfonion controls.
If the SWN works for 4 voices, I don’t see why you couldn’t use all six with the Sinfonion: perhaps four with chords and the other two with the other Sinfonion channels.
obust wrote:Do you see any potential functional conflict between SWN and Sinfonion ?
I would certainly want to verify that you can truly disable the quantizer in the SWN and operate each voice like a standalone, independent oscillator. From the documentation, it appears you can, but I’m not all that familiar with the SWN.

User avatar
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3681
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am
Location: New York City

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:12 am

Some potential high density oscillator options with at least four voices.

1010music Synthbox (26hp, four full voices)

Qu-bit Chord 2 (14 hp, four independent drones in one particular operation mode)

Blue Lantern Poly Phobos (24 hp, four independent drones)

Flame 4vox (29 hp, four independent drones)

Flame VCDO-4 (prototype, 12 hp, four independent drones)

Doepfer A-111-4 (18 hp, four independent drones)

Studio Elecronics Quadnic (12 hp, four independent drones)

Synthesis Technology E370 (54 HP, four independent drones)

4ms Spherical Wavetable Navigator (26 hp, six drones mixed to one stereo output)

Supercritical Synthesizers Demon Core w/Expander (20 hp, four drones mixed to one output)

User avatar
Carl Licroy
Common Wiggler
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:34 pm

Post by Carl Licroy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:45 pm

It is not a single module but as I already owned a Pitsburgh Modular SV-1, I just bought the Double Helix after buying Instruo Harmonaig. The 4 voices sounds really well together. I patch them through 4 Manhattan Analog DTM when I want to mix different waveforms.

StoneAgeOfTheFuture
Common Wiggler
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:34 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Post by StoneAgeOfTheFuture » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:22 pm

obust wrote:I am looking into Quad VCOs to play the chords.
I'm going with the Studio Electronics Quadnic

Edit: Ah - I didn't notice I was beaten to it! ;)

Mike_123
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:23 am

Post by Mike_123 » Sun May 05, 2019 5:13 am

Is there a way to quantize channels 1-3 all within one octave? I like the use of chord scales, which is the Sinfonion’s focus, but I also like just working with scale tones of one octave like a typical quantizer.

User avatar
Der Mann mit der Maschine
Common Wiggler
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:48 pm
Location: Munich
Contact:

Post by Der Mann mit der Maschine » Sun May 05, 2019 10:58 am

Mike_123 wrote:Is there a way to quantize channels 1-3 all within one octave? I like the use of chord scales, which is the Sinfonion’s focus, but I also like just working with scale tones of one octave like a typical quantizer.
Hi Mike, I'm not sure if I've completely understood your question. But the Sinfonion in the first place very much behaves like a typical quantizer. The main difference is that it has a more musical way of selecting allowed notes (based on logical scale steps rather then absolute note values). And of course it has tons of more flexibility.

I've worked with different quantizers before and read specs of many others (like Tiptop Quantizer, Penrose, Intellijel, etc.). The Sinfonion can easily do almost 100% of their features and much much more.

Restriction to quantizing everything into one single octave could be an interesting feature to implement. But it's nothing that I've seen in any of the "typical" quantizers so I might got your question wrong...

Mike_123
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:23 am

Post by Mike_123 » Sun May 05, 2019 12:44 pm

Supermathi wrote:
Mike_123 wrote:Is there a way to quantize channels 1-3 all within one octave? I like the use of chord scales, which is the Sinfonion’s focus, but I also like just working with scale tones of one octave like a typical quantizer.
Hi Mike, I'm not sure if I've completely understood your question. But the Sinfonion in the first place very much behaves like a typical quantizer. The main difference is that it has a more musical way of selecting allowed notes (based on logical scale steps rather then absolute note values). And of course it has tons of more flexibility.

I've worked with different quantizers before and read specs of many others (like Tiptop Quantizer, Penrose, Intellijel, etc.). The Sinfonion can easily do almost 100% of their features and much much more.

Restriction to quantizing everything into one single octave could be an interesting feature to implement. But it's nothing that I've seen in any of the "typical" quantizers so I might got your question wrong...
Ok thanks. I was able to watch another youtube video and figure it out. Just pre-ordered this beast!

Sinfonion is a very innovative and sophisticated module! Congrats.

StoneAgeOfTheFuture
Common Wiggler
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:34 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Post by StoneAgeOfTheFuture » Sat May 11, 2019 9:23 pm

Supermathi - Anymore footage of the pick and place machine working?

User avatar
Der Mann mit der Maschine
Common Wiggler
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:48 pm
Location: Munich
Contact:

Post by Der Mann mit der Maschine » Mon May 13, 2019 4:06 am

StoneAgeOfTheFuture wrote:Supermathi - Anymore footage of the pick and place machine working?
The pick and plache machine is finally up and running! ACL told me that the module will probably delivered around June or July to the retailers. Thank you all for your patience so far! :hail:

User avatar
titanlegions
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 39
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:03 am
Location: England

Post by titanlegions » Mon May 13, 2019 7:45 am

Wow that's good news, thanks for all the hard work sir :yay:

User avatar
-S.L-
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:06 am
Location: Lisbon

Post by -S.L- » Mon May 13, 2019 2:39 pm

Supermathi wrote:
StoneAgeOfTheFuture wrote:Supermathi - Anymore footage of the pick and place machine working?
The pick and plache machine is finally up and running! ACL told me that the module will probably delivered around June or July to the retailers. Thank you all for your patience so far! :hail:
now we are talking :party:

User avatar
Der Mann mit der Maschine
Common Wiggler
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:48 pm
Location: Munich
Contact:

Post by Der Mann mit der Maschine » Mon May 13, 2019 4:13 pm

... and while you are patiently waiting, here is another tune, crafted by two Sinfonions 8-)

https://soundcloud.com/dermannmitdermaschine/melodies-3
Last edited by Der Mann mit der Maschine on Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
-S.L-
Wiggling with Experience
Posts: 344
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:06 am
Location: Lisbon

Post by -S.L- » Mon May 13, 2019 5:30 pm

amazing :goo:

i'm getting two as well :hihi:

Jaypee
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1064
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:46 am

Post by Jaypee » Tue May 14, 2019 1:23 am

I thought my needs for sequencing CV/modulating CV would be over with the recent addition of a Cirklon, but I'm not that sure...! :party:
"Those aren't your daddy's waveforms " Cynthia Webster

User avatar
mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 3681
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:10 am
Location: New York City

Post by mdoudoroff » Tue May 14, 2019 7:17 am

Jaypee wrote:I thought my needs for sequencing CV/modulating CV would be over with the recent addition of a Cirklon, but I'm not that sure...! :party:
Yeah… the argument Sinfonion makes is that quantizing at the sequencer can be too far early in the chain. If you want to carefully program everything in your Cirklon, press play, and then just sit there and drink coffee while it runs, that’s one thing…

User avatar
bkbirge
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1939
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:48 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Post by bkbirge » Mon May 20, 2019 10:40 am

How's manufacturing coming along? This still looking good for a June release?

Modular & Dork Rock:
https://bkbirge.bandcamp.com/
Racks:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/88730
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/89177
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/379579


"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." ~ Puck, 1903

Post Reply

Return to “Eurorack Modules”