MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

Pamela's New Workout clocking TINRS Tuesday lag issue
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Author Pamela's New Workout clocking TINRS Tuesday lag issue
second_breakfast
Got a brand new TINRS Tuesday module. Attempting to clock from Pamela's New Workout. Currently it's out of phase- a quarter note late- from the incoming clock from PNW. I've tried adjusting the ppqn settings on pamelas, I've tried all the different clock settings for Tuesday in the settings page. I can adjust the phase on my channel in pamela's and that solves it so it's on beat but then it's a whole beat late. Not helpful on a generative melody module.

Hoping I'm not the first one with this issue... does anyone know what I can do?

Thank you.
jbrandtp
Check out if you need to update firmware. I think there was an external clock issue in the first firmware...

I think 24 PPQ-clock is best.

Also I think you need to send a reset to Tuesday.

I use the Pexp-2 expander for PNW. It has 24 PPQ out and a run out, that works as a reset. This setup work fine with Tuesday.
kay_k
Try changing the order of your reset and clock channel. It might be the reset comes a wee bit later than the first clock pulse.
I've heard somewhere that Pam's outputs are updated starting from CH 1 to 8 (at least with the original version it helped when clocking VPME's EC, using CH8 as clock and CH1 as reset, so I was told)
davidjames
I'm experiencing the same issue clocking from Pam's New. Can't get Tuesday to lock into a groove, and I'm just starting with bog standard techno/house rhythms. I have Pam sending reset on Stop, which I figured would do the trick, but it seems like changing X or Y throws it off again. I also need to reset while the sequence is playing, so I can send interesting reset patterns.

Does anyone have a link to the new firmware? I don't see it on their site.

FWIW, this doesn't work for me either. I hold ticks and it never lights up all four beats. From the manual:
Quote:
Master clock division
To change the clock division, press and hold the ticks button until all four beats LEDs light up. Press the ticks button again to match the ticks LEDs to the patterns below. Afterwards, press the beats button to resume normal operation.
davidjames
Found it
http://thisisnotrocketscience.nl/TuesdayFirmware.html

It doesn't mention any fixes, only the addition of the clock division setting. Confirms I'm running older firmware so I'll give this a go. I've also contacted TINRS for some more info, particularly how reset behaves and how its expecting to receive reset + clock pulses.

This video from Chris Meyer is gold. Makes me wish manufacturers would be more clear on how reset operates in their modules.
kay_k
davidjames wrote:
Found it
http://thisisnotrocketscience.nl/TuesdayFirmware.html

It doesn't mention any fixes, only the addition of the clock division setting. Confirms I'm running older firmware so I'll give this a go. I've also contacted TINRS for some more info, particularly how reset behaves and how its expecting to receive reset + clock pulses.

This video from Chris Meyer is gold. Makes me wish manufacturers would be more clear on how reset operates in their modules.

Ha! for the whole Grids+EC problem .. in my case I was going from Beatstep Pro > MIDI into Grids > Clock out to Euclid
Which a) had the problem with 24ppqn vs 4ppqn and b) Grids updates it's outs exactly at the same time so same shift.
I changed the source code for Grids to output a 4ppqn clock while itself running on 24ppqn and also pulled the Reset pulse half a step so EC would be in phase.
In my new module "EC Mute" I build in a similar feature with an internal clock out header to Euclidean Circles. In that firmware I actually push only the very first clock that comes w/ reset pulse about 1ms back but leave the other clock pulses w/o delay
second_breakfast
Update: E-mailed TINRS about the issue and they immediately bought a Pams and problem solved it. Here is the solution that they sent in a handy explainer graphic form. Superb customer service. Hope this is helpful for anyone else:

kay_k
Oh, that is interesting. I wouldn’t expect any sequencer to clock on the falling edge. I think inverting the clock could also work in that case. Would love to know if I’m right.
I find a signal state dependent reset less desirable than a edge triggered reset. Cos in that case you always have to pulse shape or invert a standard “run” signal.
Bignorthumbrian
second_breakfast wrote:
Update: E-mailed TINRS about the issue and they immediately bought a Pams and problem solved it. Here is the solution that they sent in a handy explainer graphic form. Superb customer service. Hope this is helpful for anyone else:

I usually set the gates on Pams to 5%, as I’d initially had some problems with resets
davidjames
Wrapping my head around this...It seems we need to have a completed reset before the desired step 1 of the sequence. This makes it hard to align because the duty cycle of Pam's is a %, so it's dependent on clock division. If I fire a reset at the same time as step 1, the sequence will always be late because the 1% duty cycle of the reset (set to /16) will be much longer than the clock pulse at x24.

IMO it would be better to take the reset from a rising edge, and ignore the rest of the reset pulse. Then, a falling edge clock would work just fine. Or, maybe this is on ALM to have a "trig" mode in Pam's which is a fixed length pulse, unrelated to the clock division/mult of the channel?

Here's a terribly out-of-scale illustration of what I'm thinking:
continuum
Clock inputs should detect rising pulses (which are inverted to pull a micro pin to ground internally). Clocking the falling edge will make it out of time with everything in the world.

The Reset behavior is also odd, non-standard and using a Run signal would cause the Tuesday to not actually run. Also, Reset signals need to be in sync with a clock pulse to work properly.

This is a good incompatibility to know about in case a customer asks.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Eurorack Modules  
Page 1 of 1