Joranalogue CONTOUR 1 - Slew Limiter/Function Generator

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:15 pm

Great video outlining ways to use a function generator.

And a really well designed module.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Added to the 'need' list ;)

Hooft
Common Wiggler

Post by Hooft » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:06 am

The wait is over! Looks amazing, this one is going to be a big hit, I think.

I was really interested to know how Contour sounded as an osc, and I'm glad the answer is juicy and tweakable.

Props to Divkid for an excellent video, as ever.
Yup.

BlinkyLights
Wiggling with Experience

Post by BlinkyLights » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:36 am

As if I needed anything else on my list, but this thing seems fantastic, and I like the size.

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:43 am

Can't justify getting rid of MN Function for this. :despair:
*phnert*

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:58 am

Pighood wrote:Can't justify getting rid of MN Function for this. :despair:
Direct comparison?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:00 am

Pighood wrote:Can't justify getting rid of MN Function for this. :despair:
Me neither, but I’d happily try a Contour 1 the next time I need another slew/EG, and wind up with an extra oscillator in the bargain!

Seems to be another class-leading design from Joran. Well done!

Pighood
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Pighood » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:18 am

I have a Maths mounted directly next to Function (plus a PEG above), so I'm REALLY covered for most of the duties.

If I didn't have either, I'd happily check out Contour.
*phnert*

starthief
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by starthief » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:40 am

In the past I've had Tides, Mini Slew, Rampage, and Function, and I currently have Maths. The temptation to replace it with two Contour 1s is real, but not strong enough to actually do it.

If I were starting over, or making recommendations, I'd probably choose Contour 1 over the other options.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:04 am

I was considering getting another Maths, although now seriously considering getting two Contours for a little extra flavor. I have enough attenuators in my system for now.

joranalogue
Common Wiggler

Post by joranalogue » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:43 pm

Great to see the responses so far, thanks everyone!

In case you're wondering how C1 compares to some of the other slew limiter/function generator modules out there, here's a short summary of several features you won't find in most (or any) of the others currently available:

• Precise enough to process pitch CV (ie a V/oct. sequence)
• Temperature compensated V/oct. tracking (VCO use)
• Voltage controlled slope bending, separate for rise/fall, with time compensation
• Dedicated gate input
• Reset by trigger
• Hold input
• Rise/fall gate outputs (rather than triggers)
• Improved UI and ergonomics (LED sliders, controls grouped on the top, sockets on bottom)

Hope that clears things up. Make sure to take a look at the website and manual, and feel free to ask if you have any more questions!
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

spinalbeatz
Wiggling with Experience

Post by spinalbeatz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:55 pm

Any shops in the US carrying it yet?

Funky40
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Funky40 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:02 pm

for shure a winner.

Great video from Ben.
i really hate to go to YT for that stuff.
But Ben is doing it.........and leaves me the option to jump around

:tu: to both
For sale / reduced prices ( swiss (we are NON-EU)/ in case it makes sense_ EU/WW)(CHF +- = $):
lowered prices: Dotcom Q960: 650.- / Q119: 420 / ( i also have one or much likely two 19" Frames)
ATV A-Frame incl. Accu and Bag: 830.-, like new, quasi unused.

MvK
Wiggling with Experience

Post by MvK » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:07 pm

I'm having a blast with this. :party: serial number 27

I bought a second maths some weeks ago because I like it a lot and after buying and selling several envelopes I went back to it. And now this Contour 1 is a lot of fun. Together with the Select 2 and its hold and select inputs the rise and fall outputs are great. but I'm really only scratching the surface. Its like the Select 2 a module of which I need 2 sooner or later. I am still very happy with the 2 maths I have because serge like slew limiters are so versdatile that I can't get enough of them. The more you have the more you can use them for the crazier things they can do.

Concerning versatility I think Joranalogue brings something really fresh and new to the table. Many gate signals can be sent from the C2 and C1 to the S2 to hold and switch between signals.

I wonder what comes next. I know the Generator 3 comes soon but then?

The precision of the hold circuit could be great for many things like a more traditional S&H? And some kind of analog shift register that can be used as an arpeggiator or mini sequencer. Maybe everything together in a bigger module with random like marbles but all analog. :miley:

morgulbee
Common Wiggler

Post by morgulbee » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:10 pm

Contour-1 is near the top of my "next to buy" list. That video by Divkid moved it up a few notches.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:22 pm

MvK wrote:I wonder what comes next. I know the Generator 3 comes soon but then?
Seems to me that the “primary component” that Joran doesn’t have in his lineup, yet, is a VCA.

oldenjon
Ultra Wiggler

Post by oldenjon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:26 pm

mdoudoroff wrote: Seems to me that the “primary component” that Joran doesn’t have in his lineup, yet, is a VCA.
Mix 3 is a VCA module
"We all dance by ourselves, that's why we only play electronic music"

http://synthscalledbeasts.tumblr.com/

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:12 pm

oldenjon wrote:
mdoudoroff wrote: Seems to me that the “primary component” that Joran doesn’t have in his lineup, yet, is a VCA.
Mix 3 is a VCA module
Fair enough. I guess we’ll have to wait and see what’s up his sleeves.

Generate looks magnificent.

Aelitafrommars
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Aelitafrommars » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:04 am

Any chance of a version that has the jacks at the top and the controls at the bottom?

bemushroomed
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by bemushroomed » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:07 am

Aelitafrommars wrote:Any chance of a version that has the jacks at the top and the controls at the bottom?
There's nothing that hinders you from turning it upside down in the rack.. i have a few modules like that.

...an alternative panel is what you should be asking for.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:27 am

bemushroomed wrote:
Aelitafrommars wrote:Any chance of a version that has the jacks at the top and the controls at the bottom?
There's nothing that hinders you from turning it upside down in the rack.. i have a few modules like that.

...an alternative panel is what you should be asking for.
The linear potentiometers might be fine (top to bottom), however the rotary potentiometers would be the wrong rotation.

Aelitafrommars
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Aelitafrommars » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:29 am

I'm considering it, but the faders would would be counterintuitively placed (and show the wrong direction in regards to their labeled function, being arrows). I've also tried putting modules upside down before, and knobs especially just feel wrong to me that way. it's like changing the fasten/loose direction of a screw lefty-loosy, righty-tighty to the opposite, if that analogy makes sense. Or changing the standard direction of a lock/unlock key turn.

Then, if you just have an alternative panel, the pots and faders are still in counterintuitive places horizontally (the jacks are less of a concern). The hardware mounting pcb layer would "need" to be swapped out for an alternate version aswell. Still, doesn't hurt to ask. This module seems wildly playable from the bottom row of a skiff or keyboard.

cackland
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by cackland » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:35 am

Aelitafrommars wrote:I'm considering it, but the faders would would be counterintuitively placed (and show the wrong direction in regards to their labeled function, being arrows). I've also tried putting modules upside down before, and knobs especially just feel wrong to me that way. it's like changing the fasten/loose direction of a screw lefty-loosy, righty-tighty to the opposite, if that analogy makes sense. Or changing the standard direction of a lock/unlock key turn.

Then, if you just have an alternative panel, the pots and faders are still in counterintuitive places horizontally (the jacks are less of a concern). The hardware mounting pcb layer would need to be swapped out for an alternate version well. Still, doesn't hurt to ask. This module seems wildly playable from the bottom row of a skiff or keyboard.
If you are unaware of the amount of work involved to design, develop and bring to market a module, your request would add significant work for Joran. For each module manufacturer to release a top and bottom 'version' is not feasible in this market.

Aelitafrommars
Learning to Wiggle

Post by Aelitafrommars » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:48 am

I'd like to consider myself aware enough. I do a bit of custom circuit design for interactive installations on museums etc, and been DIY:ing modules for about a decade (which is not to say it's the same thing, but it at least helps provide some perspective).

It's only a question. I'm not demaning anything of anyone and i'm well aware that it's not sensible to apply this thinking to every module out there. I just thought it would be really neat in this particular case and thought asking wouldn't hurt.

joranalogue
Common Wiggler

Post by joranalogue » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:20 am

While there's some work involved making this, stock-keeping is the main reason why there's no alternative versions of any of my modules. Imagine producing and stocking two versions of every design. Add in black panels, 4U, 5U, DIY kits... It simply becomes a logistical nightmare and the prices of all modules would increase considerably.
Joranalogue Audio Design
21st Century Analogue Synthesis—Made in Belgium

https://joranalogue.com/

Return to “Eurorack Modules”