Announcing Lumen Software Video Synthesizer

Discussion of modular and standalone video generating/processing techniques and associated hardware.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent, daverj

johnwynberg
Wiggling with Experience

Post by johnwynberg » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:28 pm

Not sure if you have watched the video above, but in case you haven’t…

Jason mentions that he’s working on a Lumen HD, not sure if that’s what you mean by Lumen 2 @Virusinstaller, or how different it would be from the current version of Lumen (apart from the HD resolution, of course). [I wish there would be something like NI Blocks for video synthesis, but I suppose there is no market enough for a development at such a scale.]

If I remember correctly, Jason also mentions a PC version, @Branko, but since I have no interest on such a version, I didn’t pay much attention.

As for “audio reactivity”, @blabberbytes, he mentioned he had been working on it, but it was buggy, so he decided not to implement it for the current version of Lumen. Apparently he’s still working on it. In the meantime, as he showed in the video, it’s possible to get Lumen to react to audio through MIDI.

Having said all that, he seems to work alone, there doesn't seem to be a company or a team behind Lumen, so all those plans can happen any time soon or take another year, who knows.

shoottofill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by shoottofill » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:49 pm

so has anyone used a MIDI controller with Lumen? Just started messing around with it and immediately want a controller. Will pull the trigger once the HD update comes out for Lumen. But i wanted to see if anyone had any experience with a controller and Lumen and if so, do you have any recommendations?

Matos
Modular masturbator

Post by Matos » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:16 pm

Cheap korg nanokontrols work well. Mrk 1 is best but the newer version also works well.

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:25 pm

I've used a beatstep pro to wiggle with and I also have a doepfer 16 channel cv to midi cc module that I use a lot

must try them combined at some point
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine - and stops them tarnishing too!!!

shoottofill
Wiggling with Experience

Post by shoottofill » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:10 pm

Agawell wrote:I've used a beatstep pro to wiggle with and I also have a doepfer 16 channel cv to midi cc module that I use a lot

must try them combined at some point

oh, like in a way to have CV control over LUMEN?

thats kinda brilliant.

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:31 am

yeah kind of a pia to set up and control in lumen and I find attenuators before the cv->midi converter are really helpful

addac also do a module for this which is currently available, the doepfer is discontinued, but can be found used for a good price

also I use a lzx sensory translator to add audio reactivity to both lumen and other lzx modules, which are being fed by the outputs from lumen which in turn has a webcam pointed at the tv screen
Instagram

Utility modules are the inexpensive, dull polish that makes the expensive, shiny modules actually shine - and stops them tarnishing too!!!

tau_seti
Veteran Wiggler

Black Lotus?

Post by tau_seti » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:34 pm

Any idea of how the fractally "Black Lotus" or "Electric Consciousness" patches are made in Lumen?

johnwynberg
Wiggling with Experience

Re: Black Lotus?

Post by johnwynberg » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:44 am

tau_seti wrote:Any idea of how the fractally "Black Lotus" or "Electric Consciousness" patches are made in Lumen?
Not sure I understand your question, since, if you click on the Patch tab, you can clearly see how Lumen has been patched, and on the Knobs tab, the settings for each knob. Although everything contributes to the final patch, those two patches seem tot rely heavily on the K.Scope, Trails and an XOR.

tau_seti
Veteran Wiggler

Post by tau_seti » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:13 am

Well, I suppose it would have been too much for me to RTFM.

Thanks! I’ll do that now!

Lumen’s definitely a very different animal than my LZX modules.

floris
Wiggling with Experience

Post by floris » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:37 am

what midi controller would you suggest that can connect to all the knobs?

update: probably a Behringer ROTARY BCR2000 Total-Recall USB/MIDI Controller with 32 Illuminated Rotary Encoders would work for this?

jpeterman
Learning to Wiggle

Post by jpeterman » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:31 pm

Does anyone here know if audio reactivity has been developed yet? So that it syncs with audio?

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:30 pm

hahahaa

no - best place to check is the paracosm slack

iirc hd ouptut and windows appear to have got higher priority

if you really want audio reactivity now then the only real options are coding something yourself in praxis_live or max or similar or using a cv to midi cv eurorack module and an lzx sensory translator

I use the lzx sensory translator and a doepfer a192-1 (which is discontinued and can be very reasonably priced used)

the only alternative I know of to the doepfer is from addac, but is quite a bit dearer for not a great deal extra functionality
Instagram

monolithicfungus
Learning to Wiggle

Re:

Post by monolithicfungus » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:27 pm

Agawell wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 7:40 am
i syphon video into Lumen using either processing3 or praxis_live

I've sometimes used syphon sender type things too - iphone camera output for example - to create a feedback loop type thing

all of which are free and will pretty much work on anything Lumen will (watch the cpu/memory consumption)
@Agawell, i know it's been months... I'm very new to Processing. Can you please post an example Processing patch to syphon video from... say QuickTime into Lumen? I'm reading the manual but it's taking some time. An example piece of code would really expedite things.

:despair:

Thanks!

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Re: Announcing Lumen Software Video Synthesizer

Post by Agawell » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:19 am

have you downloaded the examples?
and added the package for syphon?

if so you should have all the examples you need on your computer already - if not do this now

there are 2 important examples - how to play a video and how to create a syphon server - you want to combine these and then in lumen you then just select the syphon stream as a camera input (main or one of the auxes)

I don't have any example code as the computer I used for Processing is in a different country with my daughter

alternatively you could try praxis°live - this is effectively the same - except visual programming - which is all you need to play a video - this is what I generally do now

another alternative would be to google syphon compatible video players - I don't think that quicktime supports syphon - but another program will support both syphon and quicktime format videos
Instagram

monolithicfungus
Learning to Wiggle

Post by monolithicfungus » Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:38 pm

This is great! Thank you so much for your help, @Agawell!

:sb:

crystal hell pool
Wiggling with Experience

Post by crystal hell pool » Mon May 25, 2020 5:38 pm

I have found that VLCSyphon is great to get quicktimers into Lumen, get crashes when you set OSC 3 to a cam input though

Agawell
Ultra Wiggler

Post by Agawell » Tue May 26, 2020 9:13 am

I;ve never had any issues with crashing related to camera inputs - I'm pretty sure I've used osc3 as a camera input many times, but I've never used VLC via syphon
Instagram

ModusOp
Veteran Wiggler

Re:

Post by ModusOp » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:36 pm

Revisiting this thread but can’t find in a search if it’s been said to be in development for iOS devices yet. Would love to be able to use this on an iPad Pro.

ersatzplanet
Synthwerks Design

Post by ersatzplanet » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:45 pm

Any future plans on a virtual modular version? One with a library of different functions that can be arranged like a modular, so you can have multiples of certain modules etc.
-James

James Husted - Synthwerks, LLC - www.synthwerks.com - info@synthwerks.com - james@synthwerks.com
Synthwerks is a proud member of the Mostly Modular Trade Association (http://www.mostlymodular.com).
Always looking to trade for Doepfer P6 cases

Return to “Video Synthesis”