Quatrax Grand Organ

home of post-70s electronics

Moderators: Kent, bartlebooth

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Quatrax Grand Organ

Post by numan7 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:57 am

https://www.synthmall.com wrote:Quatrax Organ

The Quatrax Organ shall be a new device in the summer of 2019. It has 14 tunable barres and three master knobs: pitch, timbre, and chaos. Order now to get on the waitlist. Orders shall be filled in the order they were received, when it becomes available.
quite excitedd about this! it appears that pb demo'd it at a workshop in berlin sometime earlier this year. anyone seen one yet?

:edit: thanks for the instalink, southphillysynths!

cheers
Last edited by numan7 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:26 pm

That's GOT TO BE great!! No where I can afford now ahhhhh :deadbanana: :deadbanana: :deadbanana: :deadbanana:

"TIMBRE" !!!! :ripbanana: :ripbanana: :ripbanana:

I was dreaming about getting tetrax+sidrax (saw the photo of somebody's somewhere) in the future. but now I gotta hear how Quatrax's timbre sounds!!

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:24 am

Seems Awesome! For people that have already sidrax or tetrax, having one of each has to be close to having this...

Looks to be basically 4 tetrax! Still super beautiful though

Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:14 pm

Thanks for the pic link. That's LOOONG :mrgreen:

Interesting how timbre works - sidrax is triangle base and guess this is not having saw, then different from tetrax.. I've been wishing my sidrax had another waveform since ever, tho. (so now choosing a Quatrax or Sid+Tet (well if peter would kindly build one at request) is a tough choice :mrgreen: )

numan7
the most autistic amongst us

Post by numan7 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:12 pm

i wonder if quatrax's timbre knob will start with a sine at fully ccw and shape it into a triangle at the mid-point and then a saw at fully cw... or perhaps ramp/reverse-saw to triangle to saw... then you would be able to go from sid to tet (and in between) - as well as "anti-tet" to sid (which would be a bit like getting a new color for painting).

either way, it will be great being able to play one of these alongside the traditional fixed-timbre cl organ instruments.

cheers

BergotMusic
Learning to Wiggle

Post by BergotMusic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:42 am

I notice there are now three green banana jacks per row.. anybody know the secret?

Also, hello. This is my first post here and looking forward to contributing to the CL pages in the future.

-Bergot

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:35 am

I'm also interested in the new green jacks... timbre and new green, so enticing.

I play my sidrax more than before and always want more barrs. Let me someday get the monster :hail:

btw today I accidentally found hair dryer's air can play my sidrax!

rmro
Common Wiggler

Post by rmro » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:10 am

I blow on mine to get extended tones 8-)

sungja
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sungja » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:01 pm

Why no sound demos of quatrax yet? Did peter demo anything?

Hoping for an official release soon even though it is out of my price range at the moment.

merlatte
Learning to Wiggle

Post by merlatte » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:58 am

Why no sound demos of quatrax yet? Did peter demo anything?
I emailed Peter about an official demo and he said his plate is too full with other projects to make one in the foreseeable future. I'm seriously considering picking one up, but would definitely prefer to hear it first before plucking down $1800. On the other hand, I guess it would be fun to receive a C-L instrument that hasn't been thoroughly (and appreciatively :) ) documented.

OT, but also DDD Stuber is still on the backburner.

merlatte
Learning to Wiggle

Post by merlatte » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:36 am

I received my Quatrax a few days ago. Sorry, I haven't recorded anything and am not sure if I will soon, but I'll try to field some of the questions here:

-The timbre knob is reverse saw to triangle to saw. It also changes the pitch pretty drastically with the triangle in the middle being the highest frequency. The sliders also change the waveshape as well as frequency. I've never played a Tetrax (had a Sid for a bit), but from what I understand, the timbre works similarly if not the same?

-The third green jack is another glitch input- I confirmed this with Peter as I wasn't entirely sure. It's been a while since I had the Sid, so I'm not sure how it's different from the others or even which is the new one.

-As far as I can tell, the timbre knob doesn't have CV control.

-Quatrax vs a Sid/Tet combo would still be a tough call imo. I'd guess the latter would probably be more portable/ergonomic, possibly have more timbral variety, and definitely be cheaper (especially used). This is not to say I haven't enjoyed the Quatrax immensely- it's been a ton of fun and obviously you'd get a few more barres and the extra glitch. Basically, I'm not entirely sure I made the right decision, but I'm still very happy with it.

If there's other questions, I can do my best to answer them.

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:29 am

Thanks for the review. So envy ya!
merlatte wrote:The sliders also change the waveshape as well as frequency. I've never played a Tetrax (had a Sid for a bit), but from what I understand, the timbre works similarly if not the same?
Are you sure with this? Do you mean to say every sliders change waveshapes in addition to freq? Then you can't get clean triangle with high (or low) pitch?

merlatte
Learning to Wiggle

Post by merlatte » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:09 am

jimmie wrote:Thanks for the review. So envy ya!
merlatte wrote:The sliders also change the waveshape as well as frequency. I've never played a Tetrax (had a Sid for a bit), but from what I understand, the timbre works similarly if not the same?
Are you sure with this? Do you mean to say every sliders change waveshapes in addition to freq? Then you can't get clean triangle with high (or low) pitch?
Yep, that's what I meant- sorry if I wasn't clear and if the following isn't either :).

The sliders are like the timbre knob in that they change pitch and waveshape. (Edit for further clarification: the frequency tapers up and down in accordance with the waveform). Here's a quick scope (sorry that it's VCV Rack and not something better) of a red out droning. Pitch is at ~10:00, timbre is 12:00, chaos is 0. I'm just moving the slider from bottom to top. It'd look/sound a bit different if the timbre knob was set differently, i.e. if timbre was CCW, it'd be reverse saw to triangle at the top.

(Edit: Sorry for the link, couldn't get the video to embed)

The pitch knob doesn't change waveshape as far as I can tell, so I think you'd just set the timbre first with the sliders/knob.
Last edited by merlatte on Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:00 pm

Very interesting. I only have a Sidrax and have never measured its output so thought they're only for pitch (and still think so). Tetrax's sliders work like this way by any chance? or, if this is the new feature this adds more to my Quatrax desire :nana:

southphillysynths
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by southphillysynths » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:26 am

[video][/video]
Dcramer wrote:"Not all who wiggle are lost" :boat:
WHO IS BOZO TEXINO?!?!

sungja
Wiggling with Experience

Post by sungja » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:50 am

Finally some sounds from the quatrax. Too bad the price is so high and the conversion rate is worse than ever. :waah:

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:27 am

Are the red outputs triangle regardless of timber knob or they also change wave form? If so, with sliders affect timber, patching and external processing would be very interesting. And being more bars makes it more interesting, too.

merlatte
Learning to Wiggle

Post by merlatte » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:59 am

jimmie wrote:Are the red outputs triangle regardless of timber knob or they also change wave form?
I no longer have the Quatrax (Serge is expensive), but the scope video I posted above was a droning red output- i.e. it's the variable waveforms, not just triangles.

jimmie
Veteran Wiggler

Post by jimmie » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:25 am

merlatte wrote:
jimmie wrote:Are the red outputs triangle regardless of timber knob or they also change wave form?
I no longer have the Quatrax (Serge is expensive), but the scope video I posted above was a droning red output- i.e. it's the variable waveforms, not just triangles.
Ah, thanks, that's good! Now when can I afford one :deadbanana:

Return to “Ciat-Lonbarde”