MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index
 FAQ & Terms of UseFAQ & Terms Of Use   Wiggler RadioMW Radio   Muff Wiggler TwitterTwitter   Support the site @ PatreonPatreon 
 SearchSearch   RegisterSign up   Log inLog in 
WIGGLING 'LITE' IN GUEST MODE

KYMA examples
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Author KYMA examples
Roland Kuit
KISS 2019: RESONANCE 공명
29 August – 1 September 2019 • Busan, South Korea

Sound designers, electronic/computer musicians and researchers are invited to join us in Busan South Korea 29 August through 1 September 2019 for the 11th annual Kyma International Sound Symposium (KISS2019) — four days and nights of hands-on workshops, live electronic music performances, and research presentations on the theme: Resonance (공명).

“Resonance”, from the Latin words resonare (re-sound) and resonantia (echo), can be the result of an actual physical reflection, of an electronic feedback loop (as in an analog filter), or even the result of “bouncing” ideas off each other during a collaboration. When we say that an idea “resonates”, it suggests that we may even think of our minds as physical systems that can vibrate in sympathy to familiar concepts or ideas.

At KISS2019, the concept of resonance will be explored through an opening concert dedicated to “ecosystemic” electronics (live performances in which all sounds are derived from the natural resonances of the concert hall interacting with the electronic resonances of speaker-microphone loops), through paper sessions dedicated to modal synthesis and the implementation of virtual analog filters in Kyma, through live music performances based on gravity waves, sympathetic brain waves, the resonances of found objects, the resonance of the Earth excited by an earthquake, and in a final rooftop concert for massive corrugaphone orchestra processed through Kyma, where the entire audience will get to perform together by swinging resonant tubes around their heads to experience collective resonance.

Sounds of Busan — two hands-on workshops open to all participants — focus on the sounds and datasets of the host city: Busan, South Korea. In part one, participants will take time series data from Busan Metropolitan City (for example, barometric pressure and sea level changes) and map those data into sound in order to answer the question: can we use our ears (as well as our eyes) to help discover patterns in data? In part two, participants will learn how to record, process, and manipulate 3d audio field recordings of Busan for virtual and augmented reality applications.

Several live performances also focus on the host city: a piece celebrating the impact of shipping containers on the international economy and on the port city of Busan; a piece inspired by Samul nori, traditional Korean folk music, in which four performers will play a large gong fitted with contact mics to create feedback loops; and a live performance of variations on the Korean folk song: Milyang Arirang, using hidden Markov models.

Hands-on Practice-based Workshops
In addition to a daily program of technical presentations and nightly concerts (https://kiss2019.symbolicsound.com/program-overview/), afternoons at KISS2019 are devoted to palindromic concerts (where composer/performers share technical tips immediately following the performance) and hands-on workshops open to all participants, including:

DATA SONIFICATION

What do the past 10 years of meteorological data sound like? In this hands-on session, we will take time series data related to the city of Busan and map the data to sound. Can we hear patterns in data that we might not otherwise detect?
The Shape Atlas

MATHS FOR CONTROLLING SOUND

How can you get your sound parameters to evolve over time? Participants will work together to compile a Shape Atlas of mathematical functions for controlling sound parameters.
Sounds of Busan II

3D SOUND TECHNIQUES

Starting with a collection of 3D ambisonic recordings from various iconic locations in and around Busan, we will learn how to process, spatialize, mix down for interactive binaural presentation for games and VR.
Research

PAPER SESSIONS

Hear hot-off-the-press results of cutting edge creative research. Full program
Concerts

LIVE PERFORMANCES

Explore new ways to compose, present, and experience music with an international line-up of live computer music performances. Full program
Networking

MEALS, NETWORKING & AFTER-KISS TOUR OF BUSAN

Discuss the presentations, workshops, and concerts with the presenters and fellow symposiasts over meals and coffee breaks (included with KISS 2019 registration), and join your new-found friends and colleagues on a tour of Busan on the Monday after the conference (also included with your registration).

Whether you are new to Kyma, a Kyma expert, or if you are just curious to learn more about music technology and sound design, you are welcome to join us for four intensive days and nights of sound, music, ideas, and interaction with fellow Kyma practitioners. Learn, share, connect, discuss, and enjoy!

Registration includes access to paper sessions, hands-on workshops, and concerts, and includes an opening reception, 3 lunches, 4 dinners and coffee breaks, plus an after-symposium bus tour of Busan.

KISS2019 RESONANCE
Roland Kuit
More AI:

ratch
Roland Kuit wrote:
Midi morphing between Drum Midi - files met de HHM Pattern Generator.
Between Dance & Arab:

1/Dance
2/Morph 50%
3/Variation 1
4/Variation 2
5/Variation 3 with Filters

Excited to try this! Thanks for the demo. BTW typo: HMM* (for Hidden Markov Model). Your videos are inspirational!
Roland Kuit
Thanks @ ratch! I have corrected this.
ratch
Hi @Roland Kuit, I saw the video on the multigrid. Do you have any other workflow tips for kyma performance on Kyma X?

https://vimeo.com/117336966
rec.Koner
Roland Kuit wrote:

Frequency tracking vocals in Kyma.
Creating spectral chords.

Reminds me of Stockhausen!

Thank you much for continue posting inspiring experiments.
Roland Kuit
ratch wrote:
Hi @Roland Kuit, I saw the video on the multigrid. Do you have any other workflow tips for kyma performance on Kyma X?

http://vimeo.com/117336966

Hi ratch, I assume you are already familliar with the Timeline in Kyma.
The Timeline is what it says, a timeline where things happen in a certain order. Also you can jump to places in the timeline in a composed way.
Creating sub-mixes are giving you the routes, network, needed.

http://vimeo.com/152615476

As you see in the Multigrid video there are sound generating .kyma-files and sound processing .kyma-files.
For the Multigrid this is the same but with one difference. The Multigrid is a more 'live-use' tool as you can switch between sound generating files and sound processing files on the fly. Ableton like.
Creating sub-mixes are giving you the routes, network, needed.

An example from Frequency Manipulator:

strettara
This is an amazing thread - way above my paygrade! but fascinating and the examples are really wonderful.
Roland Kuit
strettara wrote:
This is an amazing thread - way above my paygrade! but fascinating and the examples are really wonderful.

Thanks Strettara!
Roland Kuit
Back to Erik Satie again:

This time a "Glitchy" way to edit the sound data stored in time boxes.
As fans of Eno probably know, Erik Satie is the true Godpapa of ambient music. He was the first to compose "furniture music" between 1893-1894!
Of course he was seen as a weirdo in his time and people couldn't do much with his work. Satie influenced Claude Debussy, Edgar Varese, John Cage and Brian Eno, among others. He was the first to place pieces of paper between the piano strings to produce other sounds. Something John Cage further elaborated in his pieces for "Prepared Piano". Erik also influenced "minimal music".
In this recording I therefore use the HMM Pattern Generator, prepared piano sounds and minimalist repetitions on this piece by Erik Satie:

OMN
You can't compare Kyma with modular systems. Being able to copy and paste objects and connect the ins/outs does not make Kyma a match to modular systems. It is a DSP power house for sound design with dedicated hardware ( a bit outdated in comparison todays processors ) MaxMSP, PD etc. fits in to this comparison. And Kyma offers higher level objects to get connected and proceed, where in Max, you need to do more programming first to reach that level. But if you are looking to software modular synth, then it is VCV rack, Softtube modular, Reaktor Blocks etc. and not these previous ones. And on the hardware side of modular systems, no more comments....
peripatitis
OMN wrote:
You can't compare Kyma with modular systems. Being able to copy and paste objects and connect the ins/outs does not make Kyma a match to modular systems. It is a DSP power house for sound design with dedicated hardware ( a bit outdated in comparison todays processors ) MaxMSP, PD etc. fits in to this comparison. And Kyma offers higher level objects to get connected and proceed, where in Max, you need to do more programming first to reach that level. But if you are looking to software modular synth, then it is VCV rack, Softtube modular, Reaktor Blocks etc. and not these previous ones. And on the hardware side of modular systems, no more comments....

it depends on what you consider modular, for me it is the interface. With that in mind the so called "software modular synths" are a joke imo. Kyma is a lot more flexible than all of these though and a lot better interfaced by choice from the developers.
Roland Kuit
------
OMN
having a nice morning coffee, thanks.

I have seen this topic only very recently, and as I see it started with a suggestion that Kyma being an alternative modular synth.

Modular means, on the electronic music scene, today, all the electronic hardware gear communicating in euro rack standard with audio signals , CV ins/outs.

Putting an oscillator , filter + LFO on modular gear is not the same with doing that on Kyma, MaxMSP etc.

I am not judging the sound of any, just lets don't water things for the sake of promotion.

Recently ( and for economical reasons ) there are software being developed claiming to offer the modular gear quality as a software ( VCV Rack, Reaktor Blocks, Softube Modular ) Personally I like their sound as well, for me, connecting the patch cables in real life is not the same doing it on the screen, where it gets a spagetti mess.

I know Kyma well, and liked the ability to connecting processes without having a real mess around and spend years and years on the similar paradigm with other software such as Max etc.

However Kyma having stayed and not changed since 20 years, I would rather prefer to see a version on the iPAD with a contemporary UI design. There are brilliant software designs and enough CPU power around to make things.
Roland Kuit
Good morning, as I'm having my coffee too!

You are repeating yourself OMN.
Keep up the good work!

Edit:
Read this:
Is Kyma relevant?
pianoscope
OMN
I hope the Kyma sales are going good....
Roland Kuit
AI scanned chunk of HMM Pattern Generated Audio in KYMA:

j_dowe
OMN wrote:
I hope the Kyma sales are going good....

OMN, please don't troll here. I would guess that everyone who reads this thread understands the differences between Kyma, VCV etc., and hardware modular.

This thread was started by Roland, and I appreciate his examples of Kyma patches.

Dead Banana
OMN
So do you understand it the way it says on Cambridge dictionary ?

Anyone who has spent even a day on modular rack systems, would not accept these so called Kyma modular sounding patches. ( really horrible sound quality )

Raise up the standards and don't get into cliche which belongs 15 years ago. One system runs on a limited control rate ( with its outdated DSPs ), the other one with electric speed rate.

Modeling an analog system on DSP is extremely difficult process, coding wise and mathematically and is not just connecting a sawtooth oscillator to a filter on your screen.

I would totally understand if this thread would have started still on Kyma but on sound transformation perhaps ( well STFT is a cliche IMHO , but anyways )

Or Mr. Roland can show us the benefits of a number crunching system delivering some data to modular racks systems in the complexity and control which they can't easily produce structure wise. Connect both worlds where the outcome becomes an emergent one. Let the modular sound comes from the real thing, and don't mimic it cheapwise.

Within its current initiation, the thread looked to me like it gives damage to Kyma profile actually. So there is a reason to my reaction.

Guys, I know Kyma well, these are useful advices, get on with it, like it or not.
Roland Kuit
Densities and Vexiations:

dubonaire
OMN wrote:
So do you understand it the way it says on Cambridge dictionary ?

Anyone who has spent even a day on modular rack systems, would not accept these so called Kyma modular sounding patches. ( really horrible sound quality )

Raise up the standards and don't get into cliche which belongs 15 years ago. One system runs on a limited control rate ( with its outdated DSPs ), the other one with electric speed rate.

Modeling an analog system on DSP is extremely difficult process, coding wise and mathematically and is not just connecting a sawtooth oscillator to a filter on your screen.

I would totally understand if this thread would have started still on Kyma but on sound transformation perhaps ( well STFT is a cliche IMHO , but anyways )

Or Mr. Roland can show us the benefits of a number crunching system delivering some data to modular racks systems in the complexity and control which they can't easily produce structure wise. Connect both worlds where the outcome becomes an emergent one. Let the modular sound comes from the real thing, and don't mimic it cheapwise.

Within its current initiation, the thread looked to me like it gives damage to Kyma profile actually. So there is a reason to my reaction.

Guys, I know Kyma well, these are useful advices, get on with it, like it or not.

I have no idea why you think he is trying to mimic modular synthesizers. I do know though that you completely misunderstand what Roland is doing.
Roland Kuit
---------
dubonaire
Roland Kuit wrote:
More AI:

I love this, and it has inspired me to make an ambient mix around it. Is it released anywhere?
Roland Kuit
dubonaire wrote:
Roland Kuit wrote:
More AI:

I love this, and it has inspired me to make an ambient mix around it. Is it released anywhere?

Thanks dubonaire,

This will be released in short time as I am waiting for the Cover Art for this album.
MUFF WIGGLER Forum Index -> Music Software Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next [all]
Page 13 of 15