Klavis - Quadigy - Quad Envelope Generator

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Zentek
Common Wiggler

Post by Zentek » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:08 am

sir stony wrote:A way to dim the LEDs would be highly appreciated, ...
:tu:
In the todo list ! :zen:
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

Zentek
Common Wiggler

Post by Zentek » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:18 am

The winner of the module naming contest sent me his picture.

So here is Dan Arnoux from France in the Drôme department, who's the one suggesting Quadigy as the name for our, at the time, to be finalized, envelope generator.

In his own words: "Quad for quad and igy for E.G".
Yep. Simple and effective !

Thank you Dan.

Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

Zentek
Common Wiggler

Post by Zentek » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:56 am

nolongerhuman wrote:If I could make one suggestion it would be to tone down the LED brightness.
The next Quadigy firmware update will have user adjustable LED brightness.
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

droningspaghettimonster
Veteran Wiggler

Post by droningspaghettimonster » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:34 am

highly recommended! feels like a serious upgrade from intellijels dual adsr in terms of control (but both interfaces are amazing).

gated, clocked lfos and precise envelopes just how you need them!

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:05 am

Made a video.

[video][/video]

Addenda:

• I didn’t realize until after the video was done that the PUNCH parameter is considered part of ATTACK for the purposes of the FULL ATTACK mode; so, with FULL ATTACK turned on, you’ll get at minimum the full attack and punch of the envelope; good to know

• I should have clarified that the time value of the HOLD parameter is relative to gate/trigger on, not relative to the end of DECAY

• I should have clarified that the HOLD parameter can be used in conjunction with gates as well as with triggers; with gates, the HOLD parameter effectively sets the minimum duration of the envelope (not including RELEASE)
Last edited by mdoudoroff on Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:48 am

I have a question:

What is the purpose and function of the two LEDs labeled DL and H beneath the User knob? H seems to light whenever any of the four envelopes are in their sustain period, but I’m not sure why. DL is currently a mystery to me. I can find neither in the documentation.
Last edited by mdoudoroff on Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

SonicVoltage
Common Wiggler

Post by SonicVoltage » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:28 am

mdoudoroff wrote:Made a video.
Great video! Enjoed it as I was indeed looking for more info on the Quadigy.

Nice one. Thanks!

Zentek
Common Wiggler

Post by Zentek » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:09 am

mdoudoroff wrote:I have a question:

What is the purpose and function of the two LEDs labeled DL and H beneath the User knob? H seems to light whenever any of the four envelopes are in their sustain period, but I’m not sure why. DL is currently a mystery to me. I can find neither in the documentation.
Thank you for asking; that info should be added to the doc.:tu:
* DL shows the Pre-Delay duration if any
* H same for Hold time

These 6 LEDs atop the faders are useful to understand into which phase the envelope currently is. (especially if you set veeery long times and are a bit lost) :zen:

A big thanks for the detailed video :yay:

Eric
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

Phitar
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Phitar » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:36 am

Nice video mdoudoroff! Thanks! Like that you used the same basic input/output and only one EG thoughout... Makes it easier to tell the impact of the Quadigy. Some videos change so many I/O variables that you can't tell where the featured module's features come into play.
At the Enrichment Center we promise never to value your safety above your unique ideas and creativity. - Portal

Waiting for the electrician... or someone like him. - Firesign

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:49 am

Phitar wrote:Nice video mdoudoroff! Thanks! Like that you used the same basic input/output and only one EG thoughout... Makes it easier to tell the impact of the Quadigy. Some videos change so many I/O variables that you can't tell where the featured module's features come into play.
I guess I’m less concerned about being boring. :lol:

britzel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by britzel » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:13 am

Wow! Really like this envelope :sb:

with every day i´m a bit more impressed!
So precised soundshaping possibilties but still easy to handle :yay:

In the cv mode the visual feedback starts first over 10% would be nice when its also viewable by lower values...
Last edited by britzel on Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

britzel
Learning to Wiggle

Post by britzel » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:38 am

Thanx for the video. Very helpfull!
mdoudoroff wrote:Made a video.

[video][/video]

Addenda:

• I didn’t realize until after the video was done that the PUNCH parameter is considered part of ATTACK for the purposes of the FULL ATTACK mode; so, with FULL ATTACK turned on, you’ll get at minimum the full attack and punch of the envelope; good to know

• I should have clarified that the time value of the HOLD parameter is relative to gate/trigger on, not relative to the end of DECAY

• I should have clarified that the HOLD parameter can be used in conjunction with gates as well as with triggers; with gates, the HOLD parameter effectively sets the minimum duration of the envelope (not including RELEASE)

D_Robot
Common Wiggler

Post by D_Robot » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:10 pm

I've noticed that when trigger mode is set to gate with full attack on, the envelope doesn't behave as I'd expect depending on the length of gate sent.

If the gate is released before the envelope reaches the sustain stage then the envelope, as expected, jumps to the release stage. However, it then just sits open perpetually and does not release. If the gate is sent again but is not released until the sustain stage is active then the envelope behaves as expected, jumps to the release stage, and releases normally.

If I repeatedly tap gates not letting them reach the sustain stage then the envelope always jumps to the release stage but does not release.

When trigger mode is set to trigger there is no issue.

I assume that this is not how it is supposed to behave unless I am missing something (maybe a menu setting I have skipped past when trying to troubleshoot what was going on).

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:23 pm

I’ve reproduced your bug, D_Robot. At least, it looks like a bug to me!

The behavior I would expect in gate mode with Full Attack enabled is that the attack would complete no matter what, but if the gate has gone low before the attack completes, then the next stage will be release (skipping punch, decay and sustain).

D_Robot
Common Wiggler

Post by D_Robot » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:56 am

Yeah, doesn't seem right. Fortunately it's not a show stopper, at least for me, but maybe something that can be addressed in an update.

This really is a great module, intuitive to use, loads of control over the envelopes and lots of useful feedback on what's going make it a joy to use. Big :tu: to Klavis.

sir stony
Common Wiggler

Post by sir stony » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:14 am

It usually wouldn't affect my use, either. But just today I have a date at someone else's studio with some sound design request that would very likely have hit exactly that wall for what I had planned, using rapid successions of randomised firing gates into the envelopes. Would have looked pretty bad on me if I got there and then found out it didn't go smoothly. So for today, I switched back to the quadra, as I'm not going to need the time modulation or complexity for this. Your finding probably saved my day just in time, D_Robot. :tu:
Hope this little bug will quickly be squashed out. ;)

Zentek
Common Wiggler

Post by Zentek » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:54 am

D_Robot wrote:Yeah, doesn't seem right. Fortunately it's not a show stopper, at least for me, but maybe something that can be addressed in an update.

This really is a great module, intuitive to use, loads of control over the envelopes and lots of useful feedback on what's going make it a joy to use. Big :tu: to Klavis.
Wow!
Apparently we created that bug in the last days when finalizing the code before commercial release. :doh:
Don't worry it will be corrected, along with some others and improvements. 8-)
Thanks to all for reporting in great detail. :hail:
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

circuitburst
Wiggling with Experience

Post by circuitburst » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:15 pm

Quadigy looks to be an excellent hybrid of straightforward and complex! :tu:
Great job on the design. Obviously a lot of time and energy was spent on it.
I'm in the market for an EG upgrade and initially I was sold in the Intellijel Dual ADSR, but now I'm strongly considering the Quadigy. Smart move on making it the same 14 HP. Thanks for the videos, vibralux and mdoudoroff. You both covered different aspects of the functionality, which really helped me understand all the possibilities.

A couple questions... Has there been a new firmware release with the option to dim the LEDs and screen? My eyes are sensitive to light, so that update is really key for me. Also why was the decision made to require 5V instead of pulling it from one of the 12V rails? This would be the first module in my system needing a 5V supply. Just curious. I know many years ago this was quite common, but much less so these days.
"make the events occur that you want to occur" - the black dog

https://soundcloud.com/circuitburst
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/295055
:boat: World Map of Eurorack Module Manufacturers: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 9IMDP34-ao
World Map of Eurorack Module Physical Shops: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... gfSeJ6wVIG

Zentek
Common Wiggler

Post by Zentek » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:36 am

circuitburst wrote:Has there been a new firmware release with the option to dim the LEDs and screen? My eyes are sensitive to light, so that update is really key for me.
Yes these are part of the next release; note however that the 4 signal out LEDs cannot be dimmed (direct connection to signal).
circuitburst wrote:Also why was the decision made to require 5V instead of pulling it from one of the 12V rails? This would be the first module in my system needing a 5V supply. Just curious. I know many years ago this was quite common, but much less so these days.
The goal is to reduce the overall consumption. As it is, the digital section draws 200mW, if it was connected to the 12V, it would draw 480mW, the difference being wasted as heat.
Multiply that waste by the number of modules with a digital heart and you quickly come to several watts.
It might mot mean much and I know that most manufacturers are not caring about reducing consumption. This is my little bias to keep things reasonable wherever possible.
The Klavis NoDrain adapter provides 5V from the negative 12V rail by means of high efficiency conversion. One single NoDrain can supply 25 times the digital needs of a Quadigy or similar module so that a single converter is usually enough for an entire (big) case.

When a module draws really much on the digital, such as the Twin Waves dual VCO/LFO, I put the conversion on the module. This is why it does not require 5V from the rails.
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

circuitburst
Wiggling with Experience

Post by circuitburst » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:23 am

Thanks for the quick response Zentek. :hail:

I'll stay tuned for the firmware update. I look forward to learning what other "goodies" will be included. :hyper: When do you expect to release the update? If the signal out LEDs are too bright, I'll put some LightDims stickers on those.

Thanks for explaining the reasoning for the 5V supply. 200 mW vs. 480 mW is quite a difference alright. :moneyburn:

Btw, it's nice to see Quadigy is available on Amazon. I plan to use some gift cards to help with the purchase. :guinness:

:boat: World Map of Eurorack Module Manufacturers: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 9IMDP34-ao
World Map of Eurorack Module Physical Shops: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... gfSeJ6wVIG

circuitburst
Wiggling with Experience

Post by circuitburst » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:35 pm

Does the screen display the full envelope with all its stages based on the gate length, as shown on page 7 of the manual? If not, I'd like to please make a feature request for that. Also it would be amazing to see the full envelope updated on the screen based on any CV modulations. I may be dreaming here, but it never hurts to ask, right? :hmm:

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by mdoudoroff » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:15 pm

circuitburst wrote:Does the screen display the full envelope with all its stages based on the gate length, as shown on page 7 of the manual? If not, I'd like to please make a feature request for that. Also it would be amazing to see the full envelope updated on the screen based on any CV modulations. I may be dreaming here, but it never hurts to ask, right? :hmm:
While I tend to like that sort of visualization, I suspect it’s not really practical in this situation. The screen is very small, and the range of the parameters on Quadigy is very large.

circuitburst
Wiggling with Experience

Post by circuitburst » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:20 pm

mdoudoroff wrote:While I tend to like that sort of visualization, I suspect it’s not really practical in this situation. The screen is very small, and the range of the parameters on Quadigy is very large.
Good point about the screen size. It is a bit smaller than the Zadar screen. Below is a comparison. Perhaps some compromises can be made to achieve some full envelope visualization?

mdoudoroff
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Klavis - Quadigy - Quad Envelope Generator

Post by mdoudoroff » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:08 am

New video on preset selection and morphing:

Zentek
Common Wiggler

Re: Klavis - Quadigy - Quad Envelope Generator

Post by Zentek » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:29 pm

The promised firmware update has arrived in time for Christmas. :party:
  • Among the goodies, the most visible change is the new Quad Control.
    In addition to the known stretch timing, you now have access to tempo and clock division/mult factor when a section is in cycle mode
  • It is now possible to manually trigger(gate) your envelopes while editing.
  • The requested LED dimming and display screensaver are there too.
  • Besides, we have improved the curve rendering engine and corrected all known bugs.
The firmware update is done by playing an audio file. No need to remove the module from its case. :cool:
:!: Be sure to download the latest user manual as there are a few changes. (e.g the Live mode is now on the Global button)

The firmware audio file and the manual can be found here.

Have a good time. :zen:

Eric
Klavis
Fine Modular Designs

Return to “Eurorack Modules”