Metasonix RS/Serge modules

Discussing some incredible modules that don't quite fit into the other forum categories.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:31 am

metasonix wrote:
Delepathy wrote:This why I was asking about the Loudest Warning format.
I doubt Eric will buy/design a completely new set of panels just so it could fit in LW format.
Please gentlemen, don't start this nitpicking about minor format differences. I've laid out an FPE panel for RS 4x4. If you want another format, you will pay extra AND provide me with sample panels and a cabinet/power supply for testing.

Once again; ten years ago I asked around if anyone was interested in 5U or 4U format modules. You may remember that Zerosum offered the R5x modules on a nice FPE panel for MU format. He sold a few, but also got a rash of abuse from MU nerds who demanded that everything have exactly the same panel layout, knobs and pots on exactly the same grid alignment as other MU modules, etc. They hated the nice-looking engraved panels because they "weren't in the MU format" with the flanges on the sides. Everything has to "exactly match" or they won't buy it. And they shrieked about any possible power supply issues -- incessantly. Fuck that.

Buchla was even worse. Even bought a small 200e boat for testing, which I ended up giving to Zerosum. We met extreme hostility to even the idea of Buchla 200e format modules. Buchla fanboys are worse than Moog fanboys which is saying a lot. They are deeply intolerant of anything that wasn't designed by Don, looks exactly like classic Buchla 200 series panels, and was "blessed with the golden sacrament of Don" or whatever. Unless someone coughs up serious money AND a 200e cabinet for testing, I'm not doing that at all period.

Let's not forget:
viewtopic.php?t=55300
Patch Point messaged me showing some interest in possibly selling the Metasonix/R*S Serge-style 4x4s in their shop, I had them email Eric. I haven't asked if the deal fell through though.

I'm debating whether to sell these as custom one-offs for each one or to sell them to other dealers. Is Patch Point reliable? I know nothing about them, having never dealt with Serge before. It's a tiny, tiny sub-market compared to Euro.

Yes, please email me directly. I don't check this forum every day anymore.
Eric , Patch Point is super reliable , and super quality building. I think they are the perfect place to distribute these modules, really. Most of my Serge is built by them. :tu:

Delepathy
Common Wiggler

Post by Delepathy » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Here's the Bellend (RK4/RK2):

Prunesquallor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Prunesquallor » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:10 pm

Delepathy wrote:Here's the Bellend (RK4/RK2):

Cue someone saying 'I like the look of that bellend'. And through the wires you can hear Eric giggle.
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:58 pm

WELL?? Is anyone interested in actually buying these?

I was planning to start with:

Bellend: RK4 and RK2

(different stupid name): RK3 and RK6

others: later if there is action on the first 2

Post serious interest and I'll get a few made of each type and inform dealers.

ritchiedrums
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ritchiedrums » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:33 am

:lol: :lol: THIS RK1 HAS TO BE THE MOST EXPENSIVE LO-FI HIHAT MODULE OF ALL TIME!!!! :lol: :lol:

LOVE IT!!!!!!! :sb: :goo: :metasonix:

ritchiedrums
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by ritchiedrums » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:39 am

Listen to this Wonderful RK7!!!

[video][/video]

luchog
Crazy Pony

Post by luchog » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:46 pm

metasonix wrote:WELL?? Is anyone interested in actually buying these?

I won't be able to afford them before next Spring (still paying off moving expenses), but after that point I'd definitely be interested in the (different stupid name) RK3 and RK6; and possibly an RK7 plus RK2 panel as well, depending on funding.

I'd also give my left nut to have them in the old brutal yellow; but since nuts are not yet a recognized form of currency, I'm good with the silver panels.

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:53 am

They look amazing - any indication of price point? Same price as both Euro modules or somewhat more?
Can see the RK power being essential for happiness if acquiring a couple of these!

REcDeso12oi
Common Wiggler

Post by REcDeso12oi » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:53 am

man if I had a serge rig I would jump on this. I use my RK3 every day. it sounds amazing.

Prunesquallor
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Prunesquallor » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:24 am

metasonix wrote:WELL?? Is anyone interested in actually buying these?

Definitely interested in teh Bellend. Don't know where it's going to go yet, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.
If at first you don't succeed read the instruction manual.

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:07 pm

Image :guinness:

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:15 pm

the turds were wrangled yet again

As promised, we are starting with the Bellend and this one. Got to put them on our website. An RK7 VCO version will come later, if we can sell a few of these. I was considering a dual RK7. Power supply, hmm, good question.

qwoned
Learning to Wiggle

Post by qwoned » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:34 pm

FatRocky wrote:Image :guinness:
whoa. is this being sold as a standalone w/ powered boat? because that is very desirable. what are the total modules? this + control panel (e.g. edelweiss) … :party:

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:55 am

another issue is : i have the r modules racked by my serge and i i have to use every scaler and amplifier i have to get cv high enough to fire the r modules inputs.

How's this working out Rocky? Any tweaks to the circuitry?

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:59 am

The metasonix 4u boat looks amazing btw - what modules do you have in there and how are you powering it?

Vatican2
Common Wiggler

Post by Vatican2 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am

Total bummer you’re burnt by the Buchla community of old. I wonder if things aren’t very different now, especially with Don gone, and BEMI basically having tanked any idea that there was something sacred to preserve in a purist way. Also there’s a bunch of 3rd party stuff now, and the community seems pretty enthusiastic about contributions to Buchla more as a format than a consecrated closed system.

I’m by no means qualified to speak on behalf of anyone else, and I wasn’t really around then, but things do appear to have changed a lot.

Anywho, I’d love to see Metasonix stuff in Buchla, and would gladly contribute a case to the cause. I can’t commission a whole system or anything, but I’d gladly buy a couple modules if this ever happened!

Just my $2. I’d love to hear other thoughts on this.
"Practice love on animals first; they react better and more sensitively."

Vatican2
Common Wiggler

Post by Vatican2 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:50 am

Oh and if you ever do make some Buchla modules I would propose the following titles:

A VCO called the Oedipus Complex Oscillator
A wavefolder called the Source of Anxiety
Maybe a sequencer called a MILF
And a CV processor called a DILF
Low pass filter could be call Castration anxiety and a high pass filter could be a superego attack

This all got quite Freudian very quickly... sorry
"Practice love on animals first; they react better and more sensitively."

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:56 pm

qwoned wrote:whoa. is this being sold as a standalone w/ powered boat? because that is very desirable. what are the total modules? this + control panel (e.g. edelweiss) … :party:
It's a custom prototype for Ricardo, nothing more. He's being a good sport and "beta tester". Whatever I do for a "cabinet product" will prob. have to be an RS boat but a different power arrangement. This used an RKP mounted inside a hacked cabinet, which is not very practical. Such cabinet won't be cheap either.

As you see, they have a boat with internal power that runs from a brick. It's 500 euros and I don't get any kind of a "discount". And I will have to buy one and test it to see if it will run Metasonix. It will probably work fine. If it won't, well, then we have to hack and chop a solution. Don't wanna do that.

And once again, I wish they had not used that XLR connector for power on their other boats.

http://randomsource.net/boats

metasonix
Tube Pioneer

Post by metasonix » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:03 pm

lud wrote:another issue is : i have the r modules racked by my serge and i i have to use every scaler and amplifier i have to get cv high enough to fire the r modules inputs.
The current RK4s were modified with a trimpot internally to adjust the CV gain. The RK7 will also have a trimpot. The RK3/R53 carrier inputs are always going to be insensitive.

Can you be more specific about where the problems are?

lud
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by lud » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:41 pm

metasonix wrote:
lud wrote:another issue is : i have the r modules racked by my serge and i i have to use every scaler and amplifier i have to get cv high enough to fire the r modules inputs.
The current RK4s were modified with a trimpot internally to adjust the CV gain. The RK7 will also have a trimpot. The RK3/R53 carrier inputs are always going to be insensitive.

Can you be more specific about where the problems are?
Sorry, thought I'd used the quote function. Fat Rocky said that on page 1 and it was a response asking how he was getting on with the 4u versions... hopefully there's no issue?

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:01 pm

qwoned wrote:
FatRocky wrote:Image :guinness:
whoa. is this being sold as a standalone w/ powered boat? because that is very desirable. what are the total modules? this + control panel (e.g. edelweiss) … :party:
The unit is a prototype power supply in an old r*s boat, kind of deep right.
But the modules fit in shallower boats surely.

These modules are :Image

The power supply Eric is developing will power all those and maybe more, i think. Imagine some kind of metasonix xl boat panel or something , cool.

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Post by syncretism » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:40 pm

Are these adaptations of Eurorack designs? The pots look pretty cramped in these photos. I look forward to hearing them, though!

Delepathy
Common Wiggler

Post by Delepathy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:50 pm

syncretism wrote:Are these adaptations of Eurorack designs? The pots look pretty cramped in these photos. I look forward to hearing them, though!
Yeah, the RKs (originally in Euro format) are re-paneled to fit with Serge. The spacing between the jacks and knobs is what I like the best about it. There's more finger room. When Eric and I first discussed the possibility of doing this, we tried to stuff 3 RKs in a single panel - which wasn't ideal (see page 1). So we decided to stick with two per panel. I'll post some videos of the Sodomizer and Bellend on YouTube or Vimeo and upload them here when I have the chance.

ImageImage

FatRocky
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by FatRocky » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:37 pm

Testing the FuckySucky with Serge control levels.

how can i embed the f ... video?

syncretism
Morbidly self-aware and liking it

Post by syncretism » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:49 pm

[quote="FatRocky"]Testing the FuckySucky with Serge control levels.

[video][/video]

Return to “Buchla, EMS & Serge”