Roland MC-707 Groovebox

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: lisa, luketeaford, Kent, Joe.

Post Reply
Daisy

Post by Daisy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:24 am

[video][/video]

Since we're talking midi here's a reworking of my last tune with the 101 controlling 3 Analogue Synths

Did this at silly am and am now knackered l :zombie:

User avatar
chaocrator
Common Wiggler
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:21 am
Location: Kyiv, Ukraine

Post by chaocrator » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:01 am

anselmi wrote:Lot of "portamento" ones :hmm:
5 — portamento time
65 — portamento on/off
84 — not sure, probably portamento type. needs further investigation.
Daisy wrote:I’m not sure if you misread but the question is in reference to the 101 not the 707. Have a look at the 101 midi chart to see what I mean.
of course, i looked at both 707 and 101. the only difference between their MIDI implementations i found is CC80—83 behavior.
that UFO behind me is real

User avatar
slumberjack
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 1454
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:27 am
Location: 44G
Contact:

Post by slumberjack » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:33 am

man this thread turned into something which is leaving sorta corporate taste in my mind. nonetheless i'm interested in the function of slaving a cdj to it. any experienced users around? is it correct that it's only possible with 707 not the 101?

thx in advance from my side.
> WTB ADDAC502 <

www.stefanrudin.bandcamp.com / www.soundcloud.com/stefan_rudin / www.youtube.com/user/slumberknut



Carefully crafted dj set meandering between deep house, minimal and electro.

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:29 am

I have a tiny bit of experience with the 101, and a tiny bit less with the 707, I also happen to own a NXS2 Mixer and also a CDJ 2000 and I would say I could make a call from owning just the Pioneer gear to know if they would play together. So don't be silly of course they will be ok! :despair:

Seriously I smell corporate bullshit also!

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4137
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Post by anselmi » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:41 am

slumberjack wrote:man this thread turned into something which is leaving sorta corporate taste in my mind
what? :hmm:

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:48 am

anselmi wrote:
slumberjack wrote:man this thread turned into something which is leaving sorta corporate taste in my mind
what? :hmm:
Ditto

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:44 am

[video][/video]

Going forward I plan to attach a download link to any 101/707 projects I do

Its a free direct link via dropbox and doesn't require any sign up/dropbox account so no catch :hihi: :hihi:

Free files for all :tu:

You can use 101 files on the 707 and visa versa (minus the additional 4 tracks)

User avatar
Voltcontrol
Ravey Dave
Posts: 977
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:31 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Post by Voltcontrol » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:34 am

Daisy wrote:
anselmi wrote:
slumberjack wrote:man this thread turned into something which is leaving sorta corporate taste in my mind
what? :hmm:
Ditto
Hahaha, a thread that contains information about-, uses of- and great tips and tricks on the gear it is about. IT STINKS OF CORPORATE. Hahahaha.

Keep the good stuff coming Daisy!
Would be good to get some thoughts from you on the fun the MC's generate with you in playing them and how easy it is to apply them + how they stack up to what you've been using prior to them.

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4137
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Post by anselmi » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:25 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
Daisy wrote:
anselmi wrote:
slumberjack wrote:man this thread turned into something which is leaving sorta corporate taste in my mind
what? :hmm:
Ditto
Hahaha, a thread that contains information about-, uses of- and great tips and tricks on the gear it is about. IT STINKS OF CORPORATE. Hahahaha.

Keep the good stuff coming Daisy!
Would be good to get some thoughts from you on the fun the MC's generate with you in playing them and how easy it is to apply them + how they stack up to what you've been using prior to them.

TBH, I think he post too many videos, and it's a bit annoying to see this in each thread about a piece of equipment he owns... I'm just ignoring them, not with the ignore button, just not playing them. This way of posting really causes on me the opposite effect of generate interest

I don't know if it's too much to ask him to reduce the amount of these videos, but I'd be happy to see less.

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:47 pm

anselmi wrote:
Voltcontrol wrote:
Daisy wrote:
anselmi wrote:
slumberjack wrote:man this thread turned into something which is leaving sorta corporate taste in my mind
what? :hmm:
Ditto
Hahaha, a thread that contains information about-, uses of- and great tips and tricks on the gear it is about. IT STINKS OF CORPORATE. Hahahaha.

Keep the good stuff coming Daisy!
Would be good to get some thoughts from you on the fun the MC's generate with you in playing them and how easy it is to apply them + how they stack up to what you've been using prior to them.

TBH, I think he post too many videos, and it's a bit annoying to see this in each thread about a piece of equipment he owns... I'm just ignoring them, not with the ignore button, just not playing them. This way of posting really causes on me the opposite effect of generate interest

I don't know if it's too much to ask him to reduce the amount of these videos, but I'd be happy to see less.
Ha ha you're going ti be seriously fucked off then as I buy a ton of gear. :hihi: :hihi:

Anyway the posts are on topic and no-one is asking you to watch the videos. Scroll past them. If anything they have kept this thread alive. And at least its not a bore fest whinging about missing features.

I think I've maybe posted one every 4 or 5 days, not my fault the threads dead apart from that.

I don't gain or lose anything whether you watch or not so as I said scroll on by :tu:
Last edited by Daisy on Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:53 pm

Voltcontrol wrote:
Daisy wrote:
anselmi wrote:
slumberjack wrote:man this thread turned into something which is leaving sorta corporate taste in my mind
what? :hmm:
Ditto
Hahaha, a thread that contains information about-, uses of- and great tips and tricks on the gear it is about. IT STINKS OF CORPORATE. Hahahaha.

Keep the good stuff coming Daisy!
Would be good to get some thoughts from you on the fun the MC's generate with you in playing them and how easy it is to apply them + how they stack up to what you've been using prior to them.
Thats the internet, someone can whinge constantly and not a thing would be said. Someone could post on topic relevant info, someone who owns and uses the gear and its called a bit much lol. The internet makes me laugh :hihi:

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4137
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Post by anselmi » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:42 pm

Daisy wrote:
Ha ha you're going ti be seriously fucked off then as I buy a ton of gear. :hihi: :hihi:
yep, I know...it seems to be your super power...maybe you should go beyond just buying stuff and compulsive video shooting, and then your videos could become more interesting
Anyway the posts are on topic and no-one is asking you to watch the videos. Scroll past them. If anything they have kept this thread alive. And at least its not a bore fest whinging about missing features.
oh yes, I stop playing them some time ago
I enjoy people posting about missing features because I just learn about stuff that is as important as the ones that a product can do
I don't gain or lose anything whether you watch or not so as I said scroll on by :tu:
of course...I don´t posted my opinion for you...you just proved to be immune to critics in other threads, so I don´t think you will change anything

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:58 am

anselmi wrote:
of course...I don´t posted my opinion for you...you just proved to be immune to critics in other threads, so I don´t think you will change anything
Yep I’ve learnt to ignore irrational attacks and just do my own thing regardless. Make music, share my findings and experience of the gear.

So you carry on reading about missing features and I’ll carry on having fun using the gear and giving real user feedback. :tu:

User avatar
anselmi
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 4137
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:08 pm
Location: Montevideo

Post by anselmi » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:24 am

Daisy wrote:
anselmi wrote:
of course...I don´t posted my opinion for you...you just proved to be immune to critics in other threads, so I don´t think you will change anything
Yep I’ve learnt to ignore irrational attacks and just do my own thing regardless. Make music, share my findings and experience of the gear.

So you carry on reading about missing features and I’ll carry on having fun using the gear and giving real user feedback. :tu:
let´s talk in private, people here doesn´t have to read all this :tu:

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6669
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Post by dubonaire » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:20 pm

anselmi wrote:
Daisy wrote:
anselmi wrote:
of course...I don´t posted my opinion for you...you just proved to be immune to critics in other threads, so I don´t think you will change anything
Yep I’ve learnt to ignore irrational attacks and just do my own thing regardless. Make music, share my findings and experience of the gear.

So you carry on reading about missing features and I’ll carry on having fun using the gear and giving real user feedback. :tu:
let´s talk in private, people here doesn´t have to read all this :tu:
Yes stop quoting him because I have him on ignore. :)

But I will say that your criticisms are neither attacks nor irrational, and it would be better for these threads if Daisy posted his tracks in the Your Tunes Here subforum which was made for that very reason and I wish the mods would make him do that.

Daisy

Post by Daisy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:34 am

dubonaire wrote:
anselmi wrote:
Daisy wrote:
anselmi wrote:
of course...I don´t posted my opinion for you...you just proved to be immune to critics in other threads, so I don´t think you will change anything
Yep I’ve learnt to ignore irrational attacks and just do my own thing regardless. Make music, share my findings and experience of the gear.

So you carry on reading about missing features and I’ll carry on having fun using the gear and giving real user feedback. :tu:
let´s talk in private, people here doesn´t have to read all this :tu:
Yes stop quoting him because I have him on ignore. :)

But I will say that your criticisms are neither attacks nor irrational, and it would be better for these threads if Daisy posted his tracks in the Your Tunes Here subforum which was made for that very reason and I wish the mods would make him do that.
Funny enough that makes you equally unintelligent

His criticisms are based on videos he Han't watched and gear he doesn't own

Saying that there's no excusing you anyway :bananaguitar:

But them you don't see this

ah ya will ya will ya will :hihi:

hyperdriver
Learning to Wiggle
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:44 am

Post by hyperdriver » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:06 am

The MC-707 manual is very vague on sync’ing with other gear. Basically “Connect it and it will work”.

If this helps anyone my Pamelas New Workout with Pexp1 expander works fine. The MC-707 is receiving start/stop messages and clock

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:42 pm

Having gone through every modern groovebox there is except the Deluge, this thing is the most fun I've ever had making music!

Only a few issues... Build quality. I wish the entire thing was metal, not just the face plate. At the price it should be, I don't know who makes these decisions. Second, I wish you could dedicate a track to being a MIDI track, as in each of the 16 clips sends out info on its own MIDI channel, that would be absolutely perfect in every way and they should definitely implement that. I only have a few hardware synths but I hate having to dedicate an entire track to MIDI instead of having separate MIDI tracks like the Digitakt and Octatrack.. This aspect is more akin to the now $299 Elektron Samples.

Other than that, I love this thing.

gminorcoles
Common Wiggler
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:28 am

Post by gminorcoles » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:58 pm

seychmar wrote:Still no match for my old MV8000. Now that is a real sampler/sequencer/groovebox. All Roland need to do is issue a smaller, modern version of it with inbuilt screen.
yes the problem has literally already been solved in the MV, all it needed was successive spec refreshes and the benefit of better and cheaper processing power and storage, and the further evolution of the synthesis engines that Roland has developed.

why go backwards? it makes no sense

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:43 pm

gminorcoles wrote:
seychmar wrote:Still no match for my old MV8000. Now that is a real sampler/sequencer/groovebox. All Roland need to do is issue a smaller, modern version of it with inbuilt screen.
yes the problem has literally already been solved in the MV, all it needed was successive spec refreshes and the benefit of better and cheaper processing power and storage, and the further evolution of the synthesis engines that Roland has developed.

why go backwards? it makes no sense
I'm having fun with my 707 but then I see something like this and it really does take a bit of the drive out of my enjoyment with it. Those huge metal, indestructible grooveboxes from so long ago look epic, that thing has a CD drive on the front! I'm too young to have used any of them but the 707 is what I have to grow up with musically, or just return it. I'm all about longevity, I don't think this thing can take a beating. That power switch looks like it costs $0.10.

How much did the MV cost when it was released?

gminorcoles
Common Wiggler
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:28 am

Post by gminorcoles » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:07 pm

Divinital wrote:
gminorcoles wrote:
seychmar wrote:Still no match for my old MV8000. Now that is a real sampler/sequencer/groovebox. All Roland need to do is issue a smaller, modern version of it with inbuilt screen.
yes the problem has literally already been solved in the MV, all it needed was successive spec refreshes and the benefit of better and cheaper processing power and storage, and the further evolution of the synthesis engines that Roland has developed.

why go backwards? it makes no sense
I'm having fun with my 707 but then I see something like this and it really does take a bit of the drive out of my enjoyment with it. Those huge metal, indestructible grooveboxes from so long ago look epic, that thing has a CD drive on the front! I'm too young to have used any of them but the 707 is what I have to grow up with musically, or just return it. I'm all about longevity, I don't think this thing can take a beating. That power switch looks like it costs $0.10.

How much did the MV cost when it was released?
I dont intend to lessen anyone's enjoyment of new gear, I just freak out a bit because I just made the decision to sell two MV 8800s I bought earlier this year. The MV was awesome for me, not because of how it looked but because if you evaluate its features, specs and workflow, it is a more ergonomic and sensible package as a sequencer and sampler and overall groovevox, than many many pieces of gear released since.

It makes me sad that it's not very practical (for me) to hold on to gear that is far out of production. Last December I started buying cool used gear like the MV based on how awesome it is, but the servicing and maintenance cost me money time and trouble. I am not a collector, I just figured it would be smarter to buy used gear that is well reviewed instead of new gear with s markup and uncertain firmware and features etc.

I am currently fleeing to all relatively high cost new or recently used items, and my computer, and only holding a few small ancillary pieces for specialty sounds.

That is too long a response but I am just bothered that it seems to make business sense for the OEMs to keep churning the market, cynically taking advantage of our collective GAS and short memories.

User avatar
dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler
Posts: 6669
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:45 pm

Post by dubonaire » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:16 pm

Divinital wrote:How much did the MV cost when it was released?
Around $2k then which in today's terms would be around $2.9k.

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:17 pm

gminorcoles wrote:
Divinital wrote:
gminorcoles wrote:
seychmar wrote:Still no match for my old MV8000. Now that is a real sampler/sequencer/groovebox. All Roland need to do is issue a smaller, modern version of it with inbuilt screen.
yes the problem has literally already been solved in the MV, all it needed was successive spec refreshes and the benefit of better and cheaper processing power and storage, and the further evolution of the synthesis engines that Roland has developed.

why go backwards? it makes no sense
I'm having fun with my 707 but then I see something like this and it really does take a bit of the drive out of my enjoyment with it. Those huge metal, indestructible grooveboxes from so long ago look epic, that thing has a CD drive on the front! I'm too young to have used any of them but the 707 is what I have to grow up with musically, or just return it. I'm all about longevity, I don't think this thing can take a beating. That power switch looks like it costs $0.10.

How much did the MV cost when it was released?
I dont intend to lessen anyone's enjoyment of new gear, I just freak out a bit because I just made the decision to sell two MV 8800s I bought earlier this year. The MV was awesome for me, not because of how it looked but because if you evaluate its features, specs and workflow, it is a more ergonomic and sensible package as a sequencer and sampler and overall groovevox, than many many pieces of gear released since.

It makes me sad that it's not very practical (for me) to hold on to gear that is far out of production. Last December I started buying cool used gear like the MV based on how awesome it is, but the servicing and maintenance cost me money time and trouble. I am not a collector, I just figured it would be smarter to buy used gear that is well reviewed instead of new gear with s markup and uncertain firmware and features etc.

I am currently fleeing to all relatively high cost new or recently used items, and my computer, and only holding a few small ancillary pieces for specialty sounds.

That is too long a response but I am just bothered that it seems to make business sense for the OEMs to keep churning the market, cynically taking advantage of our collective GAS and short memories.
No worries, I've been questioning my decision since I bought it but put aside most of my frustrations because it's quite fun. But even the screen, I mean something from 2003, I'd rather have that MV screen, it looks like an old Windows O.S. compared to this relatively slow, cramped screen / O.S. I have a Moog and Novation Summit, the build qualities are both very high. The Roland build quality is questionable.

It leaves me disappointed overall, as I can't understand what exactly they're thinking designing a gigging instrument with such low build quality and a relatively slow O.S. (sample folders can take a while to load, on the Octatrack I sold it was instant).

I too am not a collector and have no intention of buying vintage gear, I'm not wealthy by any means, just a hobbyist hoping to make it like anyone else but can barely find any high quality gear I'm pulled to still in production. I don't care for the Elektron workflow, don't care for MPC Live much, and the Deluge I've never been attracted to at all.

I'm about 75% towards returning it and making my own groovebox using Eurorack modules.
dubonaire wrote:
Divinital wrote:How much did the MV cost when it was released?
Around $2k then which in today's terms would be around $2.9k.
Therein lies at least a bit of the explanation. I can't help but to think it's at least in part due to Behringer and the general trend towards making something as cheap as possible in the electronic market. I can't name a groovebox over $2,000 except for the MPC X... And that's more like a DAW, maybe that's what I should buy...? JK

gminorcoles
Common Wiggler
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:28 am

Post by gminorcoles » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:52 pm

Divinital wrote:
gminorcoles wrote:
Divinital wrote:
gminorcoles wrote:
seychmar wrote:Still no match for my old MV8000. Now that is a real sampler/sequencer/groovebox. All Roland need to do is issue a smaller, modern version of it with inbuilt screen.
yes the problem has literally already been solved in the MV, all it needed was successive spec refreshes and the benefit of better and cheaper processing power and storage, and the further evolution of the synthesis engines that Roland has developed.

why go backwards? it makes no sense
I'm having fun with my 707 but then I see something like this and it really does take a bit of the drive out of my enjoyment with it. Those huge metal, indestructible grooveboxes from so long ago look epic, that thing has a CD drive on the front! I'm too young to have used any of them but the 707 is what I have to grow up with musically, or just return it. I'm all about longevity, I don't think this thing can take a beating. That power switch looks like it costs $0.10.

How much did the MV cost when it was released?
I dont intend to lessen anyone's enjoyment of new gear, I just freak out a bit because I just made the decision to sell two MV 8800s I bought earlier this year. The MV was awesome for me, not because of how it looked but because if you evaluate its features, specs and workflow, it is a more ergonomic and sensible package as a sequencer and sampler and overall groovevox, than many many pieces of gear released since.

It makes me sad that it's not very practical (for me) to hold on to gear that is far out of production. Last December I started buying cool used gear like the MV based on how awesome it is, but the servicing and maintenance cost me money time and trouble. I am not a collector, I just figured it would be smarter to buy used gear that is well reviewed instead of new gear with s markup and uncertain firmware and features etc.

I am currently fleeing to all relatively high cost new or recently used items, and my computer, and only holding a few small ancillary pieces for specialty sounds.

That is too long a response but I am just bothered that it seems to make business sense for the OEMs to keep churning the market, cynically taking advantage of our collective GAS and short memories.
No worries, I've been questioning my decision since I bought it but put aside most of my frustrations because it's quite fun. But even the screen, I mean something from 2003, I'd rather have that MV screen, it looks like an old Windows O.S. compared to this relatively slow, cramped screen / O.S. I have a Moog and Novation Summit, the build qualities are both very high. The Roland build quality is questionable.

It leaves me disappointed overall, as I can't understand what exactly they're thinking designing a gigging instrument with such low build quality and a relatively slow O.S. (sample folders can take a while to load, on the Octatrack I sold it was instant).

I too am not a collector and have no intention of buying vintage gear, I'm not wealthy by any means, just a hobbyist hoping to make it like anyone else but can barely find any high quality gear I'm pulled to still in production. I don't care for the Elektron workflow, don't care for MPC Live much, and the Deluge I've never been attracted to at all.

I'm about 75% towards returning it and making my own groovebox using Eurorack modules.
dubonaire wrote:
Divinital wrote:How much did the MV cost when it was released?
Around $2k then which in today's terms would be around $2.9k.
Therein lies at least a bit of the explanation. I can't help but to think it's at least in part due to Behringer and the general trend towards making something as cheap as possible in the electronic market. I can't name a groovebox over $2,000 except for the MPC X... And that's more like a DAW, maybe that's what I should buy...? JK
The MPC live is a pretty worthy attempt, I bought one last spring. Not quite enough emphasis on being a good sequencer but compared to most HW sequencers it does alot of good things.
I have bailed on every hardware synth I have bought, the only one I really got along with was the MV8800. But I am weird. I essentially want a piano roll in a box, I am not a loop guy (right now)

Divinital

Post by Divinital » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:53 pm

gminorcoles wrote: The MPC live is a pretty worthy attempt, I bought one last spring. Not quite enough emphasis on being a good sequencer but compared to most HW sequencers it does alot of good things.
I have bailed on every hardware synth I have bought, the only one I really got along with was the MV8800. But I am weird. I essentially want a piano roll in a box, I am not a loop guy (right now)
I'm a DAW guy strangely enough. I was a computer programmer, I feel comfortable doing it in music, but I've been a musician for over 15 years, classically. So I'm an in between. I feel like I could utilize anything but I have a strange draw towards Roland boxes and the modern ones just don't make me comfortable, they feel too cheap and there's too many corners cut for too high a price.

Maybe it's time I tried out the MPC Live. It's sold a ton of units and has been updated frequently. I've never made a hip hop beat in my life but tonight I made one on the 707 using the jazz scatting from the Integra engine lol. Pretty fun stuff.

What has me thinking is going Euro and combining the Nerdseq with the 1010 Bitbox... However maybe it's best I get the MPC Live a chance first...

Post Reply

Return to “General Gear”