Xiu Xiu

Discuss the music that you love to hear.

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

midilifestyle
Common Wiggler

Xiu Xiu

Post by midilifestyle » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:52 pm

This probably signals my love for early aughts indie weirdos, but I'm surprised that there isn't more discussion of Xiu Xiu on Muffs.

I don't know if Jamie is a wiggler, but he's definitely a sucker for gear and is particularly into Make Noise and Verbos:

He also has quite the drool worthy gear list in this bandcamp interview he did after releasing Angel Guts Red Classroom: https://daily.bandcamp.com/2014/02/04/t ... f-xiu-xiu/

“Now you’re talking, my fellow nerd! We used the Oberheim SEM Pro, a Vermona Mono Lancet, a Moog Sub Phatty, an Elka Rhapsody, a Prophet 08, Flower Electronics’ Little Boy Black, a Jealous Heart [also made by Flower], a Sleepdrone 6 oscillator, a Korg Monotron, some weirdo custom synth I had made, a Health Club synthesizer, a Stylophone, a pink Casio PT 1, The Synare [analog drum synthesizer], Dr. Rhythm DR-55, a Korg Rhythm 33 and the Roland CR-8000. And although it’s not analog, we used my dear old friend the microKORG for its fake vocal formant sound. I could talk about this rabbit hole of life all day.”

midilifestyle
Common Wiggler

Post by midilifestyle » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:53 pm

Oh, and his "death drone" shit is awesome, too:

midilifestyle
Common Wiggler

Post by midilifestyle » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:58 pm

Crickets? Really.

Damn.

anti_climacus
Coffee Shakes

Post by anti_climacus » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:52 am

Huge fan of XiuXiu here. I saw him (around the time Fabulous Muscles was released) do an amazing acoustic and pump organ solo set in a converted warehouse while trains rushed by outside. Favorite shows were the ones he did with his cousin where they had a shit ton of instruments on stage and were total art weirdos. Lot of nostalgia for seeing Bog People performed flawlessly while I was high out of my mind.

Diabolik!
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Diabolik! » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:04 am

toured as openers for Xiu Xiu for a couple months several years back. i'd never really listened to them before we were booked for the tour, but was pretty into them by the end. didn't hang with them too much, but Jamie seemed like a nice down to earth guy the times that I did. They just came out with a new Twin Peaks themed release that is pretty cool.

goiks
Hardest Tryer

Post by goiks » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:39 am

he called my little town "embarassed".

[video][/video]
www.goike.com

"There is no right answer. Just compromises." - Dave Jones
"Intelligence is generated by communities, by cooperation of some kind." - Brian Eno

papercutnoise
Veteran Wiggler

Post by papercutnoise » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:51 am

Great band!!! Great mix of great songs and experimental sounds, humour and vulgarity.

Have seen them live a few times with various different setups and band members and they rarely disappoint. So many overlooked albums in their catalog but they're pretty prolific so maybe that's to be expected. Have a few new ones to catch up on myself actually. Think the last one I have is Dear God, I Hate Myself which was incredible so looking forward to checking out the more recent releases.
Good Transactions with: Pfurmel, Parallel Worlds (x2), Miditerranean, Ping Panic (x2), Soy Sos, jenamu6, READYdot, Poladark, Synesthesia, audioCTRL, dansna, Glitchmachines, RealDudes, wavecircle, msh

neandrewthal
full clout y'all
Location: Spending warm summer days indoors writing frightening verse to a buck-toothed girl in Luxembourg

Post by neandrewthal » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:37 am

Been a fan since fabulous muscles...so 13 years now. Fuck, time flies.

I still think it's an incredible album. As for the rest of the catalog, the Air Force really stands out to me while Women as Lovers was the only one I felt let down by.

The last time I picked up one their albums was in 2012 though, so I'm probably 2 or 3 "real albums" behind. I need to catch up.
Initiate the sequence, create catastrophe.

timoka
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by timoka » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:25 pm

i adore their first album knife play.
but since woman as lovers i lost interest in them.
i however highly highly recommend watching the movie xiu xiu the sent down girl from which they supposedly got their name from.

this is one of my all time favorite tracks, not just from xiuxiu:

[video][/video]

midilifestyle
Common Wiggler

Post by midilifestyle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:59 am

Now we're talking :)

Stereogum just posted this list which I only partially agree with: http://www.stereogum.com/1927768/xiu-xi ... n=timeline

It's right on in some spots and horribly wack in others. They're right to put Nina at 19. Followed by sal mineo stuff. Fag patrol should be ranked way higher. Air Force should be two if not one.

Forget is good but it's not three good. And angel guts should come in around three or four IMO.

Of course fabulous muscles is at number one, but in a way I wish it weren't. It's like their equivalent of Nirvana's Nevermind.

midilifestyle
Common Wiggler

Post by midilifestyle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:00 am

goiks wrote:he called my little town "embarassed".

[video][/video]
But he wrote a song about Bishop! And a really good one at that. The kid606 remix is pretty dope, too

midilifestyle
Common Wiggler

Post by midilifestyle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:00 am

Now we're talking :)

Stereogum just posted this list which I only partially agree with: http://www.stereogum.com/1927768/xiu-xi ... n=timeline

It's right on in some spots and horribly wack in others. They're right to put Nina at 19. Followed by sal mineo stuff. Fag patrol should be ranked way higher. Air Force should be two if not one.

Forget is good but it's not three good. And angel guts should come in around three or four IMO.

Of course fabulous muscles is at number one, but in a way I wish it weren't. It's like their equivalent of Nirvana's Nevermind.

bhinton
Common Wiggler

Post by bhinton » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:32 am

love him. the uneven quality of his output somehow makes me even more of a fan.

zedius
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zedius » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:01 pm

Absolutely love Xiu Xiu. Their ability to wrench very listenable creative pop music out of a pile of unconventional instruments is really inspirational.

Wendy Veen
Common Wiggler

Post by Wendy Veen » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:18 am

I've been a die hard since Knife Play. If Wigglers aren't listening to the new album of Twin Peaks covers, they're really missing out.

Wendy Veen
Common Wiggler

Post by Wendy Veen » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:23 am

Also wanted to say that I met Jamie before a show in DC a few years back. I was a little worried given how no nonsense he tends to be on stage. But he was so patient and nice, especially given the fact that I was a blubbering idiot telling him how much I loved his music, etc. etc.

If you know the Smiths song "Paint a Vulgar Picture," it was a lot like that.

athletic_beetle
Learning to Wiggle

Post by athletic_beetle » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:30 pm

One of the best and most intense performances of my damn life was jamie playing a solo show in the chapel of the first unitarian church here in philadelphia. It was harrowing.

Jamie works so hard and is such a nice person. Nothing but good things to say about this band. I bought The Air Force on vinyl and I don't even have a turntable

mome rath
a dubious cube of margarine

Post by mome rath » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:46 am

athletic_beetle wrote:One of the best and most intense performances of my damn life was jamie playing a solo show in the chapel of the first unitarian church here in philadelphia. It was harrowing.

Jamie works so hard and is such a nice person. Nothing but good things to say about this band. I bought The Air Force on vinyl and I don't even have a turntable
solid necro bump!

So good to hear nice things about him :party:

I first heard Xiu Xiu in the end credits of CREEP 2 (track was Bontanica de Los Angeles) and I immediately bought 3 or 4 albums that night

After I purchased those I realized I had also heard Jenny GoGo before on our local university radio station. that SCREAM!!!

[video][/video]
soundcloud, dear friends

good trader cred
instagraM
guest wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:45 pm
basically, as the dude put it "no walter, youre not wrong, youre just an asshole".
zoogoo wrote: your stupid

cavidim
Common Wiggler

Post by cavidim » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:29 am

I wonder what Badalementi fans think about this ?

medium Rob
Wiggling with Experience

Post by medium Rob » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:16 pm

a promise should be rated higher on that Stereogum list. I listened to that CD endlessly during 2003.. some really beautiful tracks on it, and it's so brief (~30 minutes) ... my interest waned (almost completely after The Air Force), though some of my friends, a bandmate, acquaintances, et al finally got on board with Fabulous Muscles. A Promise is a perfect album, though.. next to Knife Play. Ian Curtis Wishlist has a killer / cathartic synthesizer part, and it fades beautifully. Lot of quiet / pretty instances throughout the album

tabares
1-Post Wiggler

Re:

Post by tabares » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:36 am

cavidim wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:29 am
I wonder what Badalementi fans think https://bookofra-777.com?

I like it!

Return to “Artist Discussion”