Pioneer TORAIZ SP-16 Sampler

Any music gear discussions that don't fit into one of the other forums.

Moderators: luketeaford, Joe., lisa, Kent

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:27 pm

What kind of music specifically?

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:34 pm

DiscoDevil wrote:What kind of music specifically?
Well I want to use samples in a way that Depeche Mode likely used an Emulator on a few of their albums but not interest in making music that sounds anything like theirs, to be able to sequence samples in a sparse way but to also loop them in a way that isn’t necessarily percussive in nature.
“no matter how fine you grind the dead meat, you’ll not bring it to life again“

DiscoDevil
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by DiscoDevil » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:42 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
Well I want to use samples in a way that Depeche Mode likely used an Emulator on a few of their albums but not interest in making music that sounds anything like theirs, to be able to sequence samples in a sparse way but to also loop them in a way that isn’t necessarily percussive in nature.
You can easily do this. If you're just talking triggering sample hits and loops, it does that very well. Keep in mind you are limited to 4 bar sequences but you can trigger any sample at any time using the pads and there are workarounds for having longer sequences plus the arrangement mode.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:56 pm

DiscoDevil wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
You can easily do this. If you're just talking triggering sample hits and loops, it does that very well. Keep in mind you are limited to 4 bar sequences but you can trigger any sample at any time using the pads and there are workarounds for having longer sequences plus the arrangement mode.
Great, thanks for the feedback. Considering what I’ve seen a few barely used units selling for it seems worth the risk sometime in the future.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:06 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
I think this is something Ableton Live does better, faster and more creatively than anything else.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:15 pm

dubonaire wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
I think this is something Ableton Live does better, faster and more creatively than anything else.
I assumed as much but I’m trying to stay away from a computer as much as is possible although I do realize I will need to use one to some extent with the sp-16...

h4ndcrafted
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by h4ndcrafted » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:41 pm

I’m parting with mine if you’re interested bandwagon ?

Where it really excels , is it speed of use and sampling on the fly, as it were.
I’m having to release myself of this and my OB-6 because I need money fast at the moment. I got the SP to get away from my computer.

I use it mainly to sequence my Nord drum and as a drum machine synced up to live. I just prefer this method than clicking around in live.
I intend to buy both back , but am committed to getting the soma drum at the moment as well.
We don't want to conquer space at all. We want to expand Earth endlessly. We don't want other worlds; we want a mirror.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:47 pm

h4ndcrafted wrote:I’m parting with mine if you’re interested bandwagon ?

Where it really excels , is it speed of use and sampling on the fly, as it were.
I’m having to release myself of this and my OB-6 because I need money fast at the moment. I got the SP to get away from my computer.

I use it mainly to sequence my Nord drum and as a drum machine synced up to live. I just prefer this method than clicking around in live.
I intend to buy both back , but am committed to getting the soma drum at the moment as well.
I need money fast too :bang: if I sell a couple things anytime soon and have extra after I will hit you up... annoying when people who owe you money (for a service) drag their feet paying you, but that’s another story...

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:01 pm

onthebandwagon wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
I assumed as much but I’m trying to stay away from a computer as much as is possible although I do realize I will need to use one to some extent with the sp-16...
Understand totally, my whole hardware studio is largely an exercise in avoiding the machine I sit in front of at work all day. But it’s just so powerful for this kind of thing I just think using anything else is an exercise in inefficiency and narrows the creativity you get with Ableton's flexibility and instruments.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:30 pm

dubonaire wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
Understand totally, my whole hardware studio is largely an exercise in avoiding the machine I sit in front of at work all day. But it’s just so powerful for this kind of thing I just think using anything else is an exercise in inefficiency and narrows the creativity you get with Ableton's flexibility and instruments.
Perhaps I naive or just don’t know enough regarding this subject to make this statement but I find that I am actually more creative when I have a certain amount of limitations. I rather focus on being proficient with a few pieces of equipment which don’t have endless parameters, and hope that while finding a workaround I can actually be more focused on achieving something closer to the spirit of my ideas.

dubonaire
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by dubonaire » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:21 am

onthebandwagon wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
Perhaps I naive or just don’t know enough regarding this subject to make this statement but I find that I am actually more creative when I have a certain amount of limitations. I rather focus on being proficient with a few pieces of equipment which don’t have endless parameters, and hope that while finding a workaround I can actually be more focused on achieving something closer to the spirit of my ideas.
That's not a hardware/software thing though. I drown in choice with my modular and some of my hardware synths.

onthebandwagon
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by onthebandwagon » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:51 am

dubonaire wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
dubonaire wrote:
onthebandwagon wrote:
That's not a hardware/software thing though. I drown in choice with my modular and some of my hardware synths.
Lee “Scratch” Perry probably scratches his head over all of these options...

indexofmetals
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Re: Pioneer TORAIZ SP-16 Sampler

Post by indexofmetals » Fri May 15, 2020 8:15 am

I had been looking at an SP-16 as a drum machine sampler but came across mint secondhand DJS1000 for less than half price recently so went for that. I'm enjoying working with it but missing having more outputs for processing drum parts separately so considering an SP-16 to use along with it. Does anyone know if you can transfer your patterns / etc back & forth between the DJS1000 & the SP-16?

magnetize
Common Wiggler

Re: Pioneer TORAIZ SP-16 Sampler

Post by magnetize » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:43 am

anyone recommend end cheeks for the sp-16 so that it sits stably at around 45 degrees?

Return to “General Gear”