Intellijel Quadrax

Cwejman, Livewire, TipTop Audio, Doepfer etc... Get your euro on!

Moderators: Joe., lisa, luketeaford, Kent

Saladolar
Learning to Wiggle

Re: Intellijel Quadrax

Post by Saladolar » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:39 am

Thank you !
I'm almost convinced by quadrax for my 4u/104hp first case.
I want it for enveloppes & lfos, but a 4 voices vco would be such an unexpected nice addition in my small set up, especially with my tetrapad !

How easy is it to tune ?
I would love to see a demo of the vco side of the quadrax !

Arneb
Wiggling with Experience

Post by Arneb » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:50 am

Saladolar wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:39 am
How easy is it to tune ?
The problem is the same as with using Maths as a VCO: Nothing about the interface is in any way suitable for 1V/oct.

CaneMan
Wiggling with Experience

Post by CaneMan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:56 am

Arneb wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:50 am
Saladolar wrote:
How easy is it to tune ?
The problem is the same as with using Maths as a VCO: Nothing about the interface is in any way suitable for 1V/oct.
I think when I started in modular, that would have given me pause. Nowadays, as long as it's not my primary oscillator, that still makes it useful, especially if I can use it for percussive sounds.

deftinwulf
Wiggling with Experience

Post by deftinwulf » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:56 am

Is Quadrax a viable alternative to Maths? If not, why not?

(note I would not be using for VCO duties at all, just asking this question unrelated to the comments above me.)

scottmfr
Common Wiggler

Post by scottmfr » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:35 pm

Arneb wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:50 am
Saladolar wrote:
How easy is it to tune ?
I disagree with that.

In LFO mode, you just use the RISE control to determine the pitch. So it's much easier than Maths where both the RISE and FALL knobs are determining shape and pitch. This means it's about as easy to tune as a VCO with coarse but not fine tuning controls. Although because the rate sweeps from LFO to audible range it is a more sensitive control, so it is more difficult than most VCOs in that respect. However, because it's digital, if you turn all four channels up all the way they should be in tune with each other. Then if you assign a CV input to RISE with no attenuation you have 1V/OCT pitch tracking.

This is demonstrated in the Quadrax CV Assignment video:

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:36 pm

deftinwulf wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:56 am
Is Quadrax a viable alternative to Maths? If not, why not?

(note I would not be using for VCO duties at all, just asking this question unrelated to the comments above me.)
You'd get more basic utilities with Maths (basic logic, mixing, offsets), but Quadrax is arguably a much better deal for envelopes/Lfo's, in my opinion.

advrsry
Learning to Wiggle

Post by advrsry » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:37 am

Quadrax + Triplatt is an interesting combo imho when considering a Maths replacement.

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:35 am

I’m a little disappointed that max rise/fall time is only 20 seconds. :hmm:
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:09 am

OHEXOH wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:35 am
I’m a little disappointed that max rise/fall time is only 20 seconds. :hmm:
I agree. I kind of wish that Quadrax was focused on extending the existing Quadra features and on the CV inputs and assignment matrix, rather than adding all the crazy stuff in there that's harder to remember without an oscilloscope, manual, or very extensive practice (LFO shapes, burst mode, end-of-function linking, etc).

if it had comparable range of envelope shape nonlinearity (pluck in the exponential side) and envelope stage time areas to Maths/Function/Mini Slew/Contour, or even Zadar to talk about digital envelopes, and also had the 4 CV inputs and assignment matrix -- and nothing else new besides the original Quadra feature set -- I would be sold way way more readily.

your feature suggestions might be heard more clearly at the intellijel forum (eg https://forum.intellijel.com/t/quadrax/2012/39 ) or in a direct email to the manufacturer

OHEXOH
Common Wiggler

Post by OHEXOH » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:42 am

Thanks, I’ll drop them an email. :tu:
Gear for sale (Reverb): https://bit.ly/2Sb90oc

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:59 pm

https://forum.intellijel.com/t/quadrax- ... m-pst/2279

New features via firmware incoming.
THUMPR BC SC

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:02 am

I got a Quadrax recently and it has the 12bit DAC. I did the firmware update, and I've been trying hard to hear any sort of audible glitching using it, but have been unable to. It's working perfectly, in my opinion. And what a great module it is. :)

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:51 am

so how is Quadrax for pinging Low Pass Gates? Does the fastest exponential envelope come close to the snappy-ness of Maths?
I thought I read somewhere it doesn't but can't seem to find that post sorry.

minatorymodular
Learning to Wiggle

Post by minatorymodular » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:09 pm

Intelliel is doing a stream friday with the next firmware update.

hawkfuzz
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by hawkfuzz » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:17 pm

zerodivide wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:51 am
so how is Quadrax for pinging Low Pass Gates? Does the fastest exponential envelope come close to the snappy-ness of Maths?
The Falistri can do this. I'm not sure if Maths is the only module that's 'snappy'. Stages does this as well.
minatorymodular wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:09 pm
Intelliel is doing a stream friday with the next firmware update.
Check up a few post
THUMPR BC SC

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:21 pm

hawkfuzz wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:59 pm
https://forum.intellijel.com/t/quadrax- ... m-pst/2279

New features via firmware incoming.
I'm really curious what these new features might be. Quadrax doesn't have a deep interface, so I can only imagine they'll be introducing refinements of existing functionality. It seems as though everyone wants "snappier" envelopes from Quadrax, so that one seems an obvious response from Intellijel to user feedback.

I personally would love to see morphing between the waveforms in burst mode, and not the hard shift the current firmware has.

phase ghost
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by phase ghost » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:07 am

Daisuk wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:02 am
I got a Quadrax recently and it has the 12bit DAC. I did the firmware update, and I've been trying hard to hear any sort of audible glitching using it, but have been unable to. It's working perfectly, in my opinion. And what a great module it is. :)
Same here. No glitching to my ears. I haven't been on here in probably 6 months, so I was unaware of any issues concerning the DAC. I just saw the demo's from Intellijel, and decided to pick this up for my new case. I updated it before sending it any triggers, so can't compare to the previous firmware. Truth be told, I didn't even realize this thing was digital!
zerodivide wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:51 am
I thought low pass gates were pinged with triggers? Quadrax can do a very quick eg shape in exp mode. I compared this module back to back with my Maths (mk1 if that matters), and was able to approximate a quick Maths envelope that I'd use for percussion. However, it seems to me that the Maths has more range in the Rise stage. Quadrax loses the "click" of the attack phase with the slightest turn of the rise knob. Math's seems to give you more to work with in fine tuning those sorts of sounds. If they gave it another couple degrees of rotation before the click disappeared, I think that would go a long way. On the flip side, I think they nailed the longer log shapes in Quadrax. I usually use my A-140 for that stuff, but the Quadrax has been working great.

Overall, I'm happy. I have two Maths already, and wanted something similar, but different. I think this fits the bill. One thing I did do shortly after plugging it in was changing the outputs form 5v to 10v. It just seem to hit my VCA's more to my liking this way.

zerodivide
Wiggling with Experience

Post by zerodivide » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:44 am

phase ghost wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:07 am

I thought low pass gates were pinged with triggers? Quadrax can do a very quick eg shape in exp mode. I compared this module back to back with my Maths (mk1 if that matters), and was able to approximate a quick Maths envelope that I'd use for percussion. However, it seems to me that the Maths has more range in the Rise stage. Quadrax loses the "click" of the attack phase with the slightest turn of the rise knob. Math's seems to give you more to work with in fine tuning those sorts of sounds. If they gave it another couple degrees of rotation before the click disappeared, I think that would go a long way. On the flip side, I think they nailed the longer log shapes in Quadrax. I usually use my A-140 for that stuff, but the Quadrax has been working great.

Overall, I'm happy. I have two Maths already, and wanted something similar, but different. I think this fits the bill. One thing I did do shortly after plugging it in was changing the outputs form 5v to 10v. It just seem to hit my VCA's more to my liking this way.
thanks for that response. I'm trying to see if I can replace my Maths with Quadrax in my Live Performance case for the sole of purpose of having 4 envelopes instead of 2. But I'm pinging 2 Low Pass Gates all the time so I need to be able to send quick envelopes like I do with Maths. I know you're supposed to ping LPG's ideally with just a trigger and let the LPG do the ringing out itself. But somehow I found its too short, I need a very fast short envelope to work on my Takaab LPG. That's why im concerned about Quadrax as I've seen some comments saying its not ideal for that. Maybe the 1.1 update will fix that

autopoiesis
Ultra Wiggler

Post by autopoiesis » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:22 am

zerodivide, if you're looking to use Quadrax with a LPG you shouldn't worry about the grievances about its lack of range in the exponential extremes. Takaab 2LPG (I have it and confirm this), just like any other vactrol-based LPG, will already shape the CV you send it into a more exponential curve. If Quadrax doesn't have the same extremes available on the expo side of its shape knob that you'll find on Maths, it's more an issue when sending its envelopes to modules that have a linear response, like many VCAs and filters' CV inputs and wavefolder and FM index controls.

kisielk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by kisielk » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:55 pm

We may have updated our site a little early in advance of the livestream tomorrow...

https://intellijel.com/shop/eurorack/quadrax/
Intellijel R&D

megarat
Common Wiggler

Post by megarat » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:39 pm

kisielk wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:55 pm
We may have updated our site a little early in advance of the livestream tomorrow...

I read through the manual just now and the changes look great. I'm psyched, but alas, I won't be able to update the firmware until the weekend.

Daisuk
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by Daisuk » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:11 am

kisielk wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:55 pm

Sounds nice! Looking forward to catching the stream after its been recorded (don't have the patience to see all of it, haha).

intellijel
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by intellijel » Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:18 pm

The Quadrax Live Stream is happening right now! It will be archived and indexed if you want to watch it later.

The new firmware is also already available on the intellijel site here

exper
Super Deluxe Wiggler

Post by exper » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:48 pm

I'll have to watch the second half later, but so far, great update! The burst mod sounds more musical/useful, and the random lfo mode is going to be very handy. Can't wait to load this firmware.
Current system:
http://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/5549

FS/T: Metropolis, Jellysquasher
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=229687

closedLoop
Common Wiggler

Post by closedLoop » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:31 pm

intellijel wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:18 pm
The Quadrax Live Stream is happening right now! It will be archived and indexed if you want to watch it later.

The new firmware is also already available on the intellijel site here

Good watch so far, and some much appreciated development of features.

However, Intellijel folks - you really need to invest in a Mordax or a better oscilloscope for these kind of demos...

Return to “Eurorack Modules”